a1713430

May 16, 2020
How about us "clean" gamers who don't dabble on gambling and alcohol ;), seriously though I haven't played any non-Trading Card Game (I'm in my 20s) card games except solitaire.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Admittedly, there are a few issues here and there but I know that all games in development will have them so they do not detract from my personal opinion of the game.
Yeah, there's still bugs, sadly. I try to stamp on them, and the community has been amazing about helping provide repro steps, but it's a big game, and I split my time between code, design, writing and art/animation. Hopefully the game gets better as time goes, and I don't introduce more new bugs by new systems than I manage to remove from bug-fixing :)

Reactions: L30

NukaCola

Engaged Member
Jul 1, 2017
Thank you for the info but it still quite confusing. Sorry. I know you spend time to write a very detail and throughout guide. I promise I will try to learn them but I have to ask. Can the entire game be play with auto poker mode?

Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Thank you for the info but it still quite confusing. Sorry. I know you spend time to write a very detail and throughout guide. I promise I will try to learn them but I have to ask. Can the entire game be play with auto poker mode?
Yes, totally. I set it up like that after the first time I watched a streamer ( ) desperately struggle with the poker gameplay, but enjoying the rest of the game. She was so desperate to get out of the poker game she invented several new classes of bugs I'd never seen before; reminded me a bit of this:

Anyway, there's not a lot of the mandatory poker fights along the main path, all of them are impossible to lose, and quite winneable with auto-play. It's still worth looking into Elsewhere, and upgrading your gems, since there's a full-sized (simple) RPG hiding under the VN. Upgrading gems, characters, leveling up, etc all works fine in conjunction with auto-play. Some purists dislike it (the AI will always pick the 'best' individual move, without worrying about the secondary moves spawning off it), but unless you're a hardcore poker player it'll be fine.

There's also a difficulty slider in settings, which reduces damage received, enemy HP and increases damage dealt if you put it at the bottom level.

Reactions: L30 and NukaCola

p22

Jun 21, 2017
Only gotcha is that each match must go across the table (so I can't just make a match on the first column here).

The reason for that is that they provide an additional tactical element; if you complete another move (in this case the diagonal completed by putting down the 4), the side-lines will trigger in sympathy. So I'll get a 3 of a kind (3Q) across the diagonal, and another pair (of 4s) along the bottom. Combined with Jokers that can have fatal consequences as a well-timed attack triggers 5 different gems in a single move.
This is something I was not aware. And I am playing the game for quite some time.

In fact, it explains why sometimes opponents stomp me at the end of the round, when all cards are filled. Now, I understand for the first time what acually happened.

This really needs to be better explained to the player, during the game play.

Chloraphorae

Jun 15, 2017
Okay, I feckin' HATE Unity, so I've been avoiding this game since it came out. However... this is AMESOME! Spent an entire day playing it and laughed my butt off in the process. Only annoying thing is the poker (I mean, really?).

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Okay, I feckin' HATE Unity, so I've been avoiding this game since it came out. However... this is AMESOME! Spent an entire day playing it and laughed my butt off in the process. Only annoying thing is the poker (I mean, really?).
It's an acquired taste, I think. For some people it just clicks, and they're suddenly a hundred hours into the game, arguing poker dynamics. I wish I had more time to spend on improving Elsewhere.

NukaCola

Engaged Member
Jul 1, 2017
Yes, totally. I set it up like that after the first time I watched a streamer ( ) desperately struggle with the poker gameplay, but enjoying the rest of the game. She was so desperate to get out of the poker game she invented several new classes of bugs I'd never seen before; reminded me a bit of this:

Anyway, there's not a lot of the mandatory poker fights along the main path, all of them are impossible to lose, and quite winneable with auto-play. It's still worth looking into Elsewhere, and upgrading your gems, since there's a full-sized (simple) RPG hiding under the VN. Upgrading gems, characters, leveling up, etc all works fine in conjunction with auto-play. Some purists dislike it (the AI will always pick the 'best' individual move, without worrying about the secondary moves spawning off it), but unless you're a hardcore poker player it'll be fine.

There's also a difficulty slider in settings, which reduces damage received, enemy HP and increases damage dealt if you put it at the bottom level.
Thank you for making the game more enjoyable for those who don't like poker. I'm not a fan of these card game to be honest. I always skip the Gwent thing in The witcher 3.

kvier

Apr 30, 2018
(the AI will always pick the 'best' individual move, without worrying about the secondary moves spawning off it)
Does that take into account your equipped gems, or is it just ranked by standard rarity?

I sometimes find myself wishing that it'd explain why the hint/autoplay chose what it chose.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Does that take into account your equipped gems, or is it just ranked by standard rarity?

I sometimes find myself wishing that it'd explain why the hint/autoplay chose what it chose.
It's just going for the best hand it can get, it's basically just reusing the same as the AI for the enemies. Not very smart, but dumb is harder to break :)

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
Really a top game, makes me regret i delayed playing it for so long just because i found the card combat annoying/confusing at my first try. Interesting story, love the characters and humor, 'X' is cleary the best...and we know Alexander the great loved quite some things on four feet :ROFLMAO:

Only thing i find a bit off putting is:
MC wants to fight Thor and prevent end of the world....yet only one evocer class per week...i don't want to sound like i'm nagging, but u would think maximal effort on training and mastering his powers should be top priority.

The power up he should get after the end of the last episode is nice of course, but i think what MC seriously lacks is knowlege and skills. Or simply put, he and the knights of the lake need some good old spartan training regime.

That being said i'm looking forward to the next episode.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Only thing i find a bit off putting is:
MC wants to fight Thor and prevent end of the world....yet only one evocer class per week...i don't want to sound like i'm nagging, but u would think maximal effort on training and mastering his powers should be top priority.
There's actually a couple of events that require you to train quite a lot; the second sword session with Emily requires Sword > 10, and there's a new character that you meet in Elsewhere after Sword > 15

PhoenixFireeye

Nov 2, 2017
I have updated my to include some Team Combos that I find good. If you have a really good team combo, you can PM me your combo and why you find it useful.

I've also changed my ranking for Molly, as I re-evaluated her abilities, especially when paired with certain party members.

D

Deleted member 59977

Replayed this game after a long time and here's my feedback - the writing and the characters are incredible. The renders are great and it is definitely among the best adult games I have played.

As for improvements and suggestions here is what I could come up with:

1. By far the most annoying thing about this game for me is that it does not let you save anytime you want.

2. While the writing and the characters are top quality I feel like the worldbuilding could improve a bit - dont get me wrong it is still great but at the same time I think it could improve. Elsewhere for instance could be better fleshed out - the mythological aspects of this game are fascinating and it would be great to expand on that.

3. Additionally it would be nice to maybe visit other glades and characters, get more lore in the form of optional dialogue etc. I think the adult game with the best worldbuilding I have played is the last sovereign - here we have a bunch of different places to visit and every single time a major event occurs in the game, the dev goes back and updates the dialogue of pretty much all the npcs (and there are LOTS of them) which makes the world feel more alive. So every time I finish something major I always end up going back to all the places available to me and just talking to the NPCs to discover what we have to say. It would be great if the game had something like that. It would be nice if we could visit all characters (currently we can only visit katie and chloe) and have their dialogue options updated (it does not have to be big a couple of sentences is enough) every time an event happens to get their opinions/advice on whatever happened.

4. Please keep in mind that the above are just random suggestions. I am not a game developer and I am certainly not a writer. You are obviously doing a great job so if you think any of the above will take a lot of development time or if you think your time would be better spent prioritizing other things or if you disagree in any way please ignore it. I would much rather see you invest development time progressing the story and keep making progress on your goals than spend time implementing features that may not have as much of an impact.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
As for improvements and suggestions here is what I could come up with:
I don't disagree with any of those :) I hope to get time to get to them.

The only thing I'll say is that Act V closes Book 1, which is almost entirely set in Edinburgh. Book 2 is a lot more Elsewhere focused, including an actual overworld map, and the ability to travel to places like Camelot, Tír na nÓg and Asgard.

I've been doing some early graphics tests on the map, and found the theme-music for the over-world map. I like having music playing when I write/design stuff; in this case Battle of the Creek from the amazing (who's also done a bunch of other songs that gets used in Love of Magic, including and ).

7empest5teele

Dec 23, 2019
I talked to Jenny in the coffee shop, have Black Rose III, went and got paper-and-pen from the book shop, now there is nothing, what steps am I missing here?

dschordsch

Oct 11, 2017
That's weird. Could you get me the savegame folder, I'll see if I can work out what's happening.

PC: %USERPROFILE%/AppData/LocalLow/Droid Productions/Love of Magic
OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/Droid Productions/Love of Magic
Linux: $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/unity3d/Droid Productions/Love of Magic
I figured out, how to avoid it. If i set the difficulty to lowest setting, it works.

7empest5teele

Dec 23, 2019

Black Rose I is a bit of a PITA to get. Here's the full walkthrough.
I have that walkthrough saved from the last time you posted it, though thank you again for reposting, I have done the first and second and have a third rose, I talked to Jenny and went through the motions of getting everything else but whenever I go into the coffee shop again, I am given no other options, also I checked my computer to see if there was anything I needed to purchase first but no options come up.

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes