Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017

A brutal civil war is raging in the Discord; should Jenny (the Barrista from Black Rose) become Chosen? I set up a Patreon poll, but I thought I'd share this awesome fan-art from F95 regular Pandaman. Really awesome, and he spent a *lot* of time getting it right.

raixen

Jul 31, 2019

A brutal civil war is raging in the Discord; should Jenny (the Barrista from Black Rose) become Chosen? I set up a Patreon poll, but I thought I'd share this awesome fan-art from F95 regular Pandaman. Really awesome, and he spent a *lot* of time getting it right.
In my personal opinion I feel Jenny is more of the scandalous S&M play the MC indulges in and has nothing to do with the magic part of it. While the method of initiating a chosen is sexual in your lore, the responsibilities of a chosen are far from that. And jenny doesn't seem the type to be a herald or wage war on the MC's behalf.

Again this is my personal opinion. It is your story and the players are here for the ride. :)

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
Jenny may be into some BDSM, but she also puts off the vibe of being a zealot. She just needs to be shown that she's following the wrong god. And in the coming war, people like her will be needed to rally the masses behind the MC. Making her a Chosen seems a sensible idea. It also helps that she's very easy on the eyes. cough

Reactions: p22

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018

Well Droid, do like the video, but only you can decide if she has a role to play as a chosen in the story. :p Without that role it would not make sense, to turn her into a chosen. They are not sex partners, but part of his destiny.

Badgerlad

Mar 3, 2020
Heh, so I was just on the steam page and noticed the games it's tagged as similar to this. I'm not entirely sure I agree (I know, it's mostly based on tags), but at least LoM is in great company: Yakuza Kiwami 2 and Disco Elysium. There's gonna be some very confused Art Cops if people get sent to LoM from Disco Elysium :D

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
The secret is I only do polls where I don't mind either result ;)
Well then I do not really care either if she is or not, she is welcome to be one. :) Though MC might end up with loads of chosen if people like Diane and Olivia end up as chosen as well and some people we are likely still to meet. :p

D

Deleted member 949883

In my opinion Jenny should not be chosen. More characters = more work and even the existing main girls/chosen have not been given as much attention or character development as emily for example. I think dev time would be better spent developing existing characters and fleshing them out even if they are fewer rather than producing half assed content for side characters. 1 well developed character >>>>>> 100 half assed side characters.

I like jenny and it would be great to see the black rose series continue but there is no need to bring her into the main circle especially if you already have the plot mapped out in your mind.

Brother Lui

Jan 15, 2019
In my opinion Jenny should not be chosen. More characters = more work and even the existing main girls/chosen have not been given as much attention or character development as emily for example. I think dev time would be better spent developing existing characters and fleshing them out even if they are fewer rather than producing half assed content for side characters. 1 well developed character >>>>>> 100 half assed side characters.

I like jenny and it would be great to see the black rose series continue but there is no need to bring her into the main circle especially if you already have the plot mapped out in your mind.
I would agree although the black rose events are spicy and great, adding small lovely diversions in the main story till now her roll hasn't add anything in the whole straggle against the Cult or the Outsiders but every small detail makes this game even greater :love:

BFGhost

Aug 13, 2017
I have started a new playthrough with 0.4.18. Having trouble with Olivia DGN1 event. When there's left only one topic to talk about, dialog option "Pretty good, there's so much to learn" disapeares, and option "What's up, Olivia" appears, which lead to DNG1 talk, then no trigger for event in uni next or consequent days. What am i doing wrong? Or some conditions have changed? I remember my last playthrough this event triggred naturally with no additional effort.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I have started a new playthrough with 0.4.18. Having trouble with Olivia DGN1 event. When there's left only one topic to talk about, dialog option "Pretty good, there's so much to learn" disapeares, and option "What's up, Olivia" appears, which lead to DNG1 talk, then no trigger for event in uni next or consequent days. What am i doing wrong? Or some conditions have changed? I remember my last playthrough this event triggred naturally with no additional effort.
You need to go back to University in the morning, on a day you don't have lectures. Katie needs to be available (so not in the icebox).

BFGhost

Aug 13, 2017
You need to go back to University in the morning, on a day you don't have lectures. Katie needs to be available (so not in the icebox).
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure all of the above conditions were met. I tried different combinations, including making sure there aren't any lections next day. Days are around 20-26, so katie is available.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure all of the above conditions were met. I tried different combinations, including making sure there aren't any lections next day. Days are around 20-26, so katie is available.
Drop me the savegame folder, I'll have a look.
The save folder should be here:
PC: %USERPROFILE%/AppData/LocalLow/Droid Productions/Love of Magic
OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/Droid Productions/Love of Magic
Linux: $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/unity3d/Droid Productions/Love of Magic

BFGhost

Aug 13, 2017
Drop me the savegame folder, I'll have a look.
The save folder should be here:
PC: %USERPROFILE%/AppData/LocalLow/Droid Productions/Love of Magic
OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/Droid Productions/Love of Magic
Linux: $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/unity3d/Droid Productions/Love of Magic
save01 should be the latest save before last conversation with Olivia
save02 should be the save at the start of act 2 when I started experimenting (never spoke to Oilvia up to this point)

Reactions: Droid Productions

PhoenixFireeye

Nov 2, 2017
The secret is I only do polls where I don't mind either result ;)
It would probably be a lot of work to do, but I think the player should be able to choose whether to make Jenny a chosen or not. If he chooses to make her a chosen, then he gets on one path that has her as a chosen. But if he chooses to not make her a chosen, then he gets on a different path that doesn't have her as a chosen. It would add more to the replayability of the game (cause you can have her as a chosen on one playthrough, and not have her on another). But like I said, it would be a lot of work for you (because you would have to have 2 different versions of a lot of scenes to cover both her there and her not there).

Reactions: p22

Brother Lui

Jan 15, 2019
The trick with multiply choices is really good and interesting and can work very well when we talk for a huge developing company like CD Project Red aka Witcher 3 as an example but so many other big developing companies haven't followed or have tried and failed delivering games with tons of bugs and the choices in the process have lost their route. Droid Production is an excellent developer who cares not only to delivery his game but he/she tries his/her best to nail down any bugs found, who tries to satisfy any request if possible, but to create the game and deliver it till December with multiply choices like the one you suggest I think would be over burned for him/her. In the end 1 person developing show can do a limited things in a certain time. Give Droid few years and a whole team and he/she could easily deliver Love of Magic an open world game equal with Fallout 4 and without bugs :)

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
I'm conflicted about the idea of Jenny being a chosen. On one side, I love it. It seems like a logical continuation of The Perfect Black Rose events. She has some qualities that could be good for a chosen even if she's a normie. She is also the only one whose theme song has lyrics. Then I remember that her interactions are completely optional. I haven't tried it but it seems like you can ignore Royal Mile until the end of act 4, in that case you wouldn't even meet her. Might try a run where I ignore anything not required for plot progression to test it. If making her a chosen is strictly related to The Perfect Black Rose and not related to the main story, it makes little sense because she would just slightly drain your magic and do nothing. And if she starts playing a larger role in the main story, how would it work for those who didn't do The Perfect Black Rose?

Raptus Puellae

Mar 23, 2020
I'm conflicted about the idea of Jenny being a chosen. On one side, I love it. It seems like a logical continuation of The Perfect Black Rose events. She has some qualities that could be good for a chosen even if she's a normie. She is also the only one whose theme song has lyrics. Then I remember that her interactions are completely optional. I haven't tried it but it seems like you can ignore Royal Mile until the end of act 4, in that case you wouldn't even meet her. Might try a run where I ignore anything not required for plot progression to test it. If making her a chosen is strictly related to The Perfect Black Rose and not related to the main story, it makes little sense because she would just slightly drain your magic and do nothing. And if she starts playing a larger role in the main story, how would it work for those who didn't do The Perfect Black Rose?
Jenny is anobody, that would be cruel towards Akane

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes