poovey

Mar 19, 2018
Ah. I don't know why it's not triggering for me then. I've tried working the Crowley every night Day 70+ and you have to enter the Crowley to do that.

Last edited:

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
I hadn't played since the end of act IV, or something like that, so I was really surprised by how difficult combat had become.
Loading my old savegame, Emily peaced out for a month and I had to rely on Dylan for sustain. This worked fine against the mechanical enemies, although it was a little boring, but the hellions that used rage could occasionally one-shot me from full health. Then when Emily came back, she was able to solo all the encounters, highlighting how reliant I had been on her.

With Akane, I found myself often wishing for a preview or undo button for the board state after using her ability. Having her in the party typically slowed the combat down a lot, and she did not help as much as I had hoped, frequently just making things worse (kind of like the sorcerers in that respect).

I noticed that some of the demons' rage did not increase by the amount that was stated in the ability - this may be related to Bella. In particular, I paid attention to one enemy that was supposed to gain 10 rage each turn, but they only gained 7-8.

Last edited:

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I hadn't played since the end of act IV, or something like that, so I was really surprised by how difficult combat had become.
Loading my old savegame, Emily peaced out for a month and I had to rely on Dylan for sustain. This worked fine against the mechanical enemies, although it was a little boring, but the hellions that used rage could occasionally one-shot me from full health. Then when Emily came back, she was able to solo all the encounters, highlighting how reliant I had been on her.

With Akane, I found myself often wishing for a preview or undo button for the board state after using her ability. Having her in the party typically slowed the combat down a lot, and she did not help as much as I had hoped, frequently just making things worse (kind of like the sorcerers in that respect).

I noticed that some of the demons' rage did not increase by the amount that was stated in the ability - this may be related to Bella. In particular, I paid attention to one enemy that was supposed to gain 10 rage each turn, but they only gained 7-8.
Interesting...I'll go check that out.

Yeah, I may have turned up difficulty a bit harshly on Elsewhere :) The Discord regulars are pretty hardcore poker-fans, so they constantly ask for nastier stuff. The Raging demons is one push in that direction.

You might also want to check out your Gem loadout, and notice that the system now allows you 3 different pre-generated loadouts, so you can change them around. My personal fans are either Rage/Cluster, Rage/Shield, or Lightning/Poison. Others have other preferences.

Reactions: Rolo

poovey

Mar 19, 2018
The combat is easy enough once you realize that the Rage/Cluster combo the hellions use is the most effective gem configuration. Basically Rage on almost everything except for Cluster on One/Two pair and Lightning on Three Of A Kind for the occasional stun. Royal Flush and Five Of A Kind are so rare that it doesn't really matter what you slot into those. Using Molly pretty much guarantees you can consistently Rage buff yourself with the higher tier poker hands.

Since you're unable to cleanse debuffs/dots on yourself or dispel the rage stacks of demons, it's better to just burst things down with Rage/Cluster combo instead of prolonging fights. That kind of makes Fire/Ice/Poison/Shield suboptimal and Pierce is far too situational in use to slot in.

Akane just seems lackluster in general. Her ability is supposed to facilitate the acquisition of higher tier hands, but in practice that's simply not the case. Sorting by suit will rarely allow you to attain Flushes; it's the same with sorting by value and Straights. That makes Molly and Chloe superior choices; especially Molly because Jokers are really good. Akane also comes packaged with the deadweight Fox, which will probably prohibit you from using the far superior Werewolf since you need the last party slot for some form of sustainability

Reactions: Rolo and Vanderer

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
The combat is easy enough once you realize that the Rage/Cluster combo the hellions use is the most effective gem configuration. Basically Rage on almost everything except for Cluster on One/Two pair and Lightning on Three Of A Kind for the occasional stun. Royal Flush and Five Of A Kind are so rare that it doesn't really matter what you slot into those. Using Molly pretty much guarantees you can consistently Rage buff yourself with the higher tier poker hands.

Since you're unable to cleanse debuffs/dots on yourself or dispel the rage stacks of demons, it's better to just burst things down with Rage/Cluster combo instead of prolonging fights. That kind of makes Fire/Ice/Poison/Shield suboptimal and Pierce is far too situational in use to slot in.

Akane just seems lackluster in general. Her ability is supposed to facilitate the acquisition of higher tier hands, but in practice that's simply not the case. Sorting by suit will rarely allow you to attain Flushes; it's the same with sorting by value and Straights. That makes Molly and Chloe superior choices; especially Molly because Jokers are really good. Akane also comes packaged with the deadweight Fox, which will probably prohibit you from using the far superior Werewolf since you need the last party slot for some form of sustainability
I actually usually run Akane/Molly/Bella once I can do that (The Chosen Option), prior to the Akane/Molly/Kitsune. Akane and Molly play *really* well against each other, though it takes a little searching to use Akane to her fullest, you quickly get to a stage where your lowest hand is a straight.

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
You might also want to check out your Gem loadout, and notice that the system now allows you 3 different pre-generated loadouts, so you can change them around. My personal fans are either Rage/Cluster, Rage/Shield, or Lightning/Poison. Others have other preferences.
I did notice that there are three loadouts available, but I did not make use of them. Mostly that was because gems are pretty expensive, but I also don't remember seeing any ability to switch loadouts while in Elsewhere, making it pointless to customize for e.g. ice lords or constructs. As a sidenote: the gems cost less if you ask for them in dialogue, not via the private stash interface.

I did find success without Emily once I bought a bunch of rage and cluster, though I still had difficulty getting the higher tier hands sometimes (which is where my Rage was). Lightning seemed strong as a curve topper, but with the rapid resistance growth, I saw no reason to build around it instead of, say, shield. One build that seemed strong but that I didn't event try was pure rage - not better than mostly rage, but still something that perhaps should not be viable.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I did notice that there are three loadouts available, but I did not make use of them. Mostly that was because gems are pretty expensive, but I also don't remember seeing any ability to switch loadouts while in Elsewhere, making it pointless to customize for e.g. ice lords or constructs. As a sidenote: the gems cost less if you ask for them in dialogue, not via the private stash interface.
You can change loadout before your first hand.

I did find success without Emily once I bought a bunch of rage and cluster, though I still had difficulty getting the higher tier hands sometimes (which is where my Rage was). Lightning seemed strong as a curve topper, but with the rapid resistance growth, I saw no reason to build around it instead of, say, shield. One build that seemed strong but that I didn't event try was pure rage - not better than mostly rage, but still something that perhaps should not be viable.
Rage in general is a bit OP, I've been looking at nerfing it. Possibly by making it something that does a little damage back to you. If so, a Rage/Shield combo likely becomes more effective.

Reactions: Rolo and HSHS1111

Raptus Puellae

Mar 23, 2020
try a lightning+poison build, as for the money, Chloe pays good cash for special ingredients, and offers gems or money for normal ones, bring Bella and Emily on your trips and every treasure will be profitable

HSHS1111

Feb 8, 2019
Did anyone try to slot in jokers with Chloe and then rearrange with Akane? That sounds like it could be fun. Need to be careful though not to give an easy opening to the enemy.

Akane can be strong. The "problem" is she requires a lot of thinking. It just easier to joker spam with Chloe and/or Molly.

Raptus Puellae

Mar 23, 2020
Did anyone try to slot in jokers with Chloe and then rearrange with Akane? That sounds like it could be fun. Need to be careful though not to give an easy opening to the enemy.

Akane can be strong. The "problem" is she requires a lot of thinking. It just easier to joker spam with Chloe and/or Molly.
I managed to shuffle the board with jokers using Akane and Molly

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
Rage in general is a bit OP, I've been looking at nerfing it. Possibly by making it something that does a little damage back to you. If so, a Rage/Shield combo likely becomes more effective.
That does sound like it would make Rage/Shield or Rage/Regen interesting, in a high stakes kind of way, but I worry that you'd have to add significant damage to it - perhaps even make it so that it increases both your and your opponent's damage equally.
Other possibilities I can come up with are depreciating it by 30% every turn (like Ice), making Pierce dispel it, removing Strength/Intelligence scaling from it, or having it scale multiplicatively instead of additively (which would necessitate a Cluster redesign as well).

Reactions: Droid Productions

Dracconic Evolution

Feb 28, 2020
Droid Productions And yet here I am still playing with the highest tier slots with pure damage and the lowest 2 slots with the highest shields available without much of a problem with any of the battles. Lol. Still after all this time since the last convo you and I had about them.

pstear

May 21, 2020
I managed to shuffle the board with jokers using Akane and Molly
With Akane you need a bit of patience . Round one shuffle can be a spectacular disaster opening up a powerful attack on you . You can use Akane to move a joker to top left or bottom right very easily . But you are best waiting for the board to fill up a bit so it can only be used from one direction .

Reactions: Rolo
4.60 star(s) 258 Votes