Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Yeah. The non-optional fights are all designed to be so easy anyone can pass them, even without doing any Elsewhere tracking. You can always play the game as a pure VN, with minimal care for Poker. Some people are into it, though, so it's designed to let people play as they want.

Set your difficulty to Easy, and STR/INT/CHR to 100. If you go above that (1000 etc) you might be able to kill enemies that have a combat dialog that's supposed to trigger.

rahkshi01

Dec 31, 2018
The lost souls of the good ship F95 delving deeper and deeper into the dark ..... :devilish:

Until they see the light of LOM and find true happiness :):):)
Not sure I fully understand this, but we are noble pirates here we leave no one behind. In other news concerning Droid Productions.........the dark side.... it calls to him.....it pulls at his heart....eventually he shall be consumed by it. But is that so wrong, for in the end the dark is just another side of a whole, needed to be complete. Embrace your destiny (whispers...Jannice).

poarvl

Jul 28, 2019
The problem is not that I can't or don't want to fight around. I like fighting battels in RPG, especially if the story actually tighed down on battles like here. All I am saying is that this pocker mombo-jumbo is a major turn off for me, and I can guess for many who is not a fun. BTW, unlike other characters, leveling and progressing through story hardly make MC any more powerful then at the start, aside from STR rising HP.
For example. After Emily got her paws on a certain artefact, she became a real deal (decimating any non-event foes to the ashes) and you can actually say that she IS the Power, while our MC... keeps tossing around card with next to zero efficiency (yes, because I have now idea about pocker rules and cards matchings/settings as well as how it all works).
This "pocker problem" brings after itself another one. Gems becomes almost useless, since they tied down to cards formations which I have no idea about, those, I can't utilize that mechanic (likely, as any other players who are not pocker players). The most I managed to do is pair and two pairs, since is kinda obvious but the rest...
I understand that the developers, most likely, like pocker allot, since they even explained why MC play it in battles. But I ask you to consider people who really liked your game but not funs of a card games. It would be really nice if they (me included) could get an option to enjoy it fully (battels included and without cheating), without tossing cards around in hopes that something unknown would match and you can shield yourself or toss out nice damage.
Even more to the point. The problem above makes sorceress companions much... less effective, especially Akane (she dos something with rows and lines but what???). And I liked that eastern beauty allot...
I understand that making an optional battle system is allot of work, but you already announced that you would implement "swordplay" in the game (after all, we did grinded that characteristic), so, perhaps, you could make brunch there? For example, let players decide if they want MC fighting with the sword (possibly with some additional mechanics like enchanting the strikes or something like that) or with cards.

Real Kreten

Apr 10, 2020
The problem is not that I can't or don't want to fight around. I like fighting battels in RPG, especially if the story actually tighed down on battles like here. All I am saying is that this pocker mombo-jumbo is a major turn off for me, and I can guess for many who is not a fun. BTW, unlike other characters, leveling and progressing through story hardly make MC any more powerful then at the start, aside from STR rising HP.
For example. After Emily got her paws on a certain artefact, she became a real deal (decimating any non-event foes to the ashes) and you can actually say that she IS the Power, while our MC... keeps tossing around card with next to zero efficiency (yes, because I have now idea about pocker rules and cards matchings/settings as well as how it all works).
This "pocker problem" brings after itself another one. Gems becomes almost useless, since they tied down to cards formations which I have no idea about, those, I can't utilize that mechanic (likely, as any other players who are not pocker players). The most I managed to do is pair and two pairs, since is kinda obvious but the rest...
I understand that the developers, most likely, like pocker allot, since they even explained why MC play it in battles. But I ask you to consider people who really liked your game but not funs of a card games. It would be really nice if they (me included) could get an option to enjoy it fully (battels included and without cheating), without tossing cards around in hopes that something unknown would match and you can shield yourself or toss out nice damage.
Even more to the point. The problem above makes sorceress companions much... less effective, especially Akane (she dos something with rows and lines but what???). And I liked that eastern beauty allot...
I understand that making an optional battle system is allot of work, but you already announced that you would implement "swordplay" in the game (after all, we did grinded that characteristic), so, perhaps, you could make brunch there? For example, let players decide if they want MC fighting with the sword (possibly with some additional mechanics like enchanting the strikes or something like that) or with cards.
Hey, hey, hey, hey. Do you realize what you're asking for?

You have a game here with a very complex combat system, but it doesn't work for you because of visualization. That's why you're asking the developer to create another combat system next to it. Like, I don't know of any other game here on f95 with such a good fighting system. A system that is easy to learn, but difficult to be a master.

Believe me, it's easy to learn. Maybe stop looking at it like at poker. Instead, view the combination table that the HELP button opens for you during a duel. Think of it as the rules of duels that you have to learn with every RPG to defeat stronger foes.

Believe that learning, individual combinations, how different types of gems work and different compositions of the companions entails a lot of interesting things that a different combat system will not bring you.

Last edited:

crabsinthekitchen

Apr 28, 2020
Idiot's guide to Molly and Akane
Lightning on everything that's lower than straight flush
Damage, or anything really on 5 of a kind, Straight Flush and Royal Flush. you don't really need anything on Full House or pairs
Attack with Kitsune or Bella as often as you can
Replace your hand with Jokers unless you have 2 in hand
Sort by value, ascending
Hit Auto

Reactions: Real Kreten

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
MC will have the option to use Excalibur as an attack; it'll be similar to the allies, so it's more about fitting into the existing combat system than an entirely different system.

Honestly, if you're totally lost in the poker game... sorceresses and auto are your friend. Run Bella/Molly/Chloe, put down a central Joker, then just let Molly destroy them. You'll usually put down 4 of a kind or higher (of course, the enemies also hit like a hammer, which is why you bring Bella or Dylan to reduce the damage).

rahkshi01

Dec 31, 2018
Hey Droid Productions I don't know if this had been asked before but I ran into a slight problem with my latest playthrough. On the last day it didn't auto save to Book 1 end like with the first playthrough. Is this another bug and how do I fix it?

mistwolf_2k

May 18, 2020
The biggest thing is to pay attention to the spell effects. I found that putting cluster on Pair and 2 Pair with rage on everything else pretty much turns everything to easy mode. There are some hands/rounds where I only do base damage, but I can consistently get hands that get over 1k damage per pair.

You can also turn on/off poker help which will show you a good move for your hand. Auto works but it just takes and interaction right out of combat.

It is said above, combat is easy to learn but a real bitch to master. The poker aspect is just for flavor, you could literally change the cards for any other representation and recieve the same results. It is like playing the 4D aspect of any other challenging game. :)

As far as companions go, Dylan/Bella are usually in my every run. The third person is usually a floater or whoever I feel like messing with. Molly can make for some insane hands, Chloe is strong all the time but gives you nothing for exploring. Akane and Kitsune are very situational. Kitsune hits like a frigging truck towards the end, but Akane is a bit tricky to use. Of course, Emily is, well...Emily. Hits hard and gives a shield. Katie is underwhelming unless you are running full fire to build upon her damage over time.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Hey Droid Productions I don't know if this had been asked before but I ran into a slight problem with my latest playthrough. On the last day it didn't auto save to Book 1 end like with the first playthrough. Is this another bug and how do I fix it?
It's supposed to overwrite that save'. But it might not 'load' correctly until you restart. If not, I should fix that.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Katie is underwhelming unless you are running full fire to build upon her damage over time.
Katie with full upgrades hits like a truck.

She has the most complex upgrade path:
1. Get the Fire9 from the quartermaster
2. Talk to her and Dylan at the rest-stop
3. Bring her, Dylan and Emily to the rest-stop
4. Wait for her to cross the Power Threshold

At that point she should feel like walking into an inferno.

Reactions: Real Kreten

mistwolf_2k

May 18, 2020
Katie with full upgrades hits like a truck.

She has the most complex upgrade path:
1. Get the Fire9 from the quartermaster
2. Talk to her and Dylan at the rest-stop
3. Bring her, Dylan and Emily to the rest-stop
4. Wait for her to cross the Power Threshold

At that point she should feel like walking into an inferno.
I can't seem to get her to upgrade fully. I have purchased the flawless fire and routinely have Dylan and Emily and her at the rests. I will have to give it another go on a different run through, since we are stuck waiting for book 2. :p

rahkshi01

Dec 31, 2018
I can't seem to get her to upgrade fully. I have purchased the flawless fire and routinely have Dylan and Emily and her at the rests. I will have to give it another go on a different run through, since we are stuck waiting for book 2. :p
Same here I didn't get any differences when taking Dylan, Emily and Katie to the rest spots, but I was able to get everything else.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Landrassa

Sep 8, 2017
I've put detailed instruction on how and when exactly you can upgrade her abilities in the wiki:

mistwolf_2k

May 18, 2020
I've put detailed instruction on how and when exactly you can upgrade her abilities in the wiki:
I have done everything listed in those instructions but she still has Fireball 1 and Fireball 9. I already finished the run I was doing, so I will try again on another run through. If I talked to her with Emily and Dylan in the party at the rest spot I only got the normal option to talk to her. Dylan upgraded to Heal 2 and Regen.

rahkshi01

Dec 31, 2018
Odd looking at this now it seems I also missed a few for others but they didn't trigger even when these conditions were met. For example I couldn't get the upgrades for Dylan when talking at a rest stop. Are we going to get a chance to unlock these in Book 2 along with other abilities going into Elsewhere again?

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Odd looking at this now it seems I also missed a few for others but they didn't trigger even when these conditions were met. For example I couldn't get the upgrades for Dylan when talking at a rest stop. Are we going to get a chance to unlock these in Book 2 along with other abilities going into Elsewhere again?
Yes. Some of them will unlock automatically (Elsewhere without Dylan's regen is just unfair, eventually), and new abilities will come into play as the story advances.

Reactions: Rolo

cakeny

Jul 23, 2020
The biggest thing is to pay attention to the spell effects. I found that putting cluster on Pair and 2 Pair with rage on everything else pretty much turns everything to easy mode. There are some hands/rounds where I only do base damage, but I can consistently get hands that get over 1k damage per pair.

You can also turn on/off poker help which will show you a good move for your hand. Auto works but it just takes and interaction right out of combat.

It is said above, combat is easy to learn but a real bitch to master. The poker aspect is just for flavor, you could literally change the cards for any other representation and recieve the same results. It is like playing the 4D aspect of any other challenging game. :)

As far as companions go, Dylan/Bella are usually in my every run. The third person is usually a floater or whoever I feel like messing with. Molly can make for some insane hands, Chloe is strong all the time but gives you nothing for exploring. Akane and Kitsune are very situational. Kitsune hits like a frigging truck towards the end, but Akane is a bit tricky to use. Of course, Emily is, well...Emily. Hits hard and gives a shield. Katie is underwhelming unless you are running full fire to build upon her damage over time.
I do Katie/Bella/Emily. Have Emily shield every turn and the other two attack, then auto.

Reactions: Droid Productions

MataHariX

Nov 12, 2018
Hmmm... that's curious. I would have thought that was very well tested ground.

Could you pass me a save, I'll have a look.

To move on, you could try this: enable debug (ctrl+j), and check if the NO_EXIT flag is set? If it is, disable it.
Dear,

Thank you for your reaction. I restarted the game from an earlier save — a few days before day 37 — and this time the game did not balk on day 37 ??? Your suggestion to disable the NO_EXIT flag is an excellent solution to which I have to revert every 2 to 5 days.

I play on a Mac and the saves must be made invisible, So I do not know where to look for them.

I want to congratulate you on your game: The dialogs are hilarious, the story is captivating, the personalities are well defined, the graphics are good. It's impressive — one of my all time favourites. Thank you!

JMINATL

Aug 25, 2018
This is almost certainly a dumb question but sometimes it is the little things, so just in case - you purchased the flawless fire and gave it to Katie in the gym?

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes