Feb 15, 2018
Yeah, player.log is the log. Just zip up that full folder, and I'll have a look.
Thanks. I'm not really that familiar with Unity. In fact, I usually get fed up with Unity games and deleted the last one several months ago, swearing off Unity all together. So, trust me that it says something when your game managed to catch my attention, and I didn't just delete it when this happened.

Well, let me attach this file and thanks for responding so quickly.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Thanks. I'm not really that familiar with Unity. In fact, I usually get fed up with Unity games and deleted the last one several months ago, swearing off Unity all together. So, trust me that it says something when your game managed to catch my attention, and I didn't just delete it when this happened.

Well, let me attach this file and thanks for responding so quickly.
Weird, it's completely failing to access any of the addressables (Unity's new data pack format). In your build there should be a sub-folder like this:
Love of Magic_Data\StreamingAssets\aa\Windows\StandaloneWindows

contents should look something like this:
1580530049505.png

Could you get a screencap of that, so I can see if there's any issues.

Reactions: L30 and DA22

applesauce

Aug 21, 2016
Here's my initial bug/design feedback, it's a bit stream of consciousness, so please forgive the disorganization.

The XP screen should be faster, it can take over 12 seconds of staring at a bar which is honestly ridiculous. My suggestion is if the exp amount is under 250, scale the rate of xp bar filling to take 1-1.5 seconds, 251-600 1.5-2 seconds, 601+ 3 seconds. Those times might be off as well, but they're far closer to where they should be.

My message history has been hopelessly broken since extremely early on

Going to elsewhere in the morning on the day you date [Emily] in Elsewhere breaks things when you return

Slight avatar movement/tweening is a very appreciated touch that elevates the game above some others.

Cards sometimes ghost on discard// maybe related to an enemy forcing you to discard? I didn't click and it discarded at the turn change and still let me have my turn, ghosting present, this might have been on a board clear, unsure there

Percentage damage resist from [Bella] can heal you [above your max hp as well] if you have shield

Turnaround is fair play -> // [Emily] Study Scene oct 8

Follower powers do not feel balanced compared to each other, this may be intentional but it's weird for sure.

I do not understand elemental damage, why did "Do 3 fire damage" make the enemy take 28 damage? That wasn't even 3+fire debuff stacks or something like that as far as I could tell.

As a fox-girl aficionado, I have to say the kitsune's tail design in her avatar is a bit cursed.

Edit: This seems like a negative post, but I assure you it is not.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Edit: This seems like a negative post, but I assure you it is not.
No, I don't take it as negative at all :) Bug reports are always welcome, they help me make the game better for everyone. I'll file them in the bug-tracker and try to get it fixed soon. I'm in the middle of writing Act III's core story content right now, but once I'm done and back to coding, I'll have a big pile of tasks waiting for me :)

As a fox-girl aficionado, I have to say the kitsune's tail design in her avatar is a bit cursed.
Did you catch the Firefox / Kitsune reference in the computer?

applesauce

Aug 21, 2016
Did you catch the Firefox / Kitsune reference in the computer?
Demonfox, yes. I spotted a lot of other things that could either be historical references or pop culture ones- Aleister Crowley, Thaumaturgy, and others I don't recall off-hand.
A large amount of design decisions made in this game are ones I would have made similarly, and I enjoyed it a great deal as a story and as a game.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Demonfox, yes. I spotted a lot of other things that could either be historical references or pop culture ones- Aleister Crowley, Thaumaturgy, and others I don't recall off-hand.
Yeah, I love putting little references like that. Some are foreshadowing or hints, some are just me having fun with the characters and the player,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: L30 and applesauce

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
As requested.
Okay, this is weird. I've found out the reason it's not working. Your root path is "C:/{ Pr0n }/Games".

For reasons best known to the unity team, that's breaking the addressable system (I copied the build to a new folder named "{ pr0n }", ran it, and it failed to load the assets. I then renamed the folder to "pr0n", and it works fine. Could you try something similar on your side?

As for *why*? I have no idea, it's code deep inside Unity. But I have a sneaking suspicion they're using {} as some kind of special characters, and by using them in the path we broke code that parsed the filename.

Zenithtb

Oct 21, 2017
Okay, this is weird. I've found out the reason it's not working. Your root path is "C:/{ Pr0n }/Games".

For reasons best known to the unity team, that's breaking the addressable system (I copied the build to a new folder named "{ pr0n }", ran it, and it failed to load the assets. I then renamed the folder to "pr0n", and it works fine. Could you try something similar on your side?

As for *why*? I have no idea, it's code deep inside Unity. But I have a sneaking suspicion they're using {} as some kind of special characters, and by using them in the path we broke code that parsed the filename.
Wow! Good catch! 1) I would not have caught that. 2) It would never occur to me to use '{' in a file path.

God I'm old!

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, someone suggested that on discord. I need to see how it would work; it can't update the calender, so it'd basically be groundhog day (there are obviously events planned for day 35, after Act II ends). The big problem is making it dovetail nicely with the main story structure; if Act V left you dead and broken at the gates of the Court, explaining how you go from there to happily 'grinding' Jenny in Starcucks requires a bit of suspension of disbelief, and working out how to return you to the gates once the new update comes.
I coul explain it with one word : MAGIC

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I coul explain it with one word : MAGIC
I think probably the way to do it is making it explicitly set outside of the main game, so a Play+ version that unlocks when Act III ends. So as long as you Load+, it will advance without ever advancing the day or triggering calender events. Savegames loaded through Load+ would have a tag on it, so by the time Act IV comes out, if you try to load your Load+ game it'll do the cleanup needed (set location in correct room, set the correct day / time, show and hide the various entities that are visible with you, etc), then let you go as if nothing happened. It'll be a bit of a bug-hunt to work out all of that, so if I do get around to it, it'll be in the 3.5 update. I'm right now working on Act III's core story; once that's done, I'll start working on technical updates and world content, which eventually makes its way out as 3.5 (in the same way as 2.5 was the upgraded Elsewhere released earlier this week, and 1.5 was the extended Slice of life version). That's probably where I'll set up the Play+ functionality, since I'll have some time for technical work.

Reactions: L30 and DA22

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I think probably the way to do it is making it explicitly set outside of the main game, so a Play+ version that unlocks when Act III ends. So as long as you Load+, it will advance without ever advancing the day or triggering calender events. Savegames loaded through Load+ would have a tag on it, so by the time Act IV comes out, if you try to load your Load+ game it'll do the cleanup needed (set location in correct room, set the correct day / time, show and hide the various entities that are visible with you, etc), then let you go as if nothing happened. It'll be a bit of a bug-hunt to work out all of that, so if I do get around to it, it'll be in the 3.5 update. I'm right now working on Act III's core story; once that's done, I'll start working on technical updates and world content, which eventually makes its way out as 3.5 (in the same way as 2.5 was the upgraded Elsewhere released earlier this week, and 1.5 was the extended Slice of life version). That's probably where I'll set up the Play+ functionality, since I'll have some time for technical work.
Fair enough and it may well work with your design setup while the game is in development, now I know it is likely well over a year or years away, but such a feature could also work for a new game+ if want to do something like that. :)

Reactions: Droid Productions

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Fair enough and it may well work with your design setup while the game is in development, now I know it is likely well over a year or years away, but such a feature could also work for a new game+ if want to do something like that. :)
The helper is a nice idea but just a quest log or a nudge in game by for example a night visit from Chloe that you can use the portal now and have that CHR check at that moment to add her to team might work as well. :p Now if you would feel the need to add some sexy play with Chloe to that scene, nobody here would stop you I suspect. ;)

Last edited:

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
The helper is a nice idea but just a quest log or a nudge in game by for example a night visit from Chloe that you can use the portal now and have that CHR check at that moment to add her to team might work as well. :p Now if you would feel the need to add some sexy play with Chloe to that scene, nobody here would stop you I suspect. ;)
I would complain by asking for VR support with neural stimulation....

Patan

May 28, 2017
Hey Droid Productions after Glade i don't have any option to do anything. There is no portal icon that i can click. Can you check the save file please

I had similar problem when i start the game where i couldn't do anything at bar maybe you will remember, you gave me the save file after that point at it worked fine might fix the issue again.

Reactions: DA22
Feb 15, 2018

Yup, that seems to have fixed it. I never would have guessed that. In the old days yeah, but not anymore. Thanks so much for the help! Love ya man!

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes