Ren'Py Lust & Piracy [v0.0.3.5] [RVNSN]

3.00 star(s) 2 Votes

LexArma

Jun 2, 2019
Like the idea, think there will have to be some lust elements and some piracy elements.
I was actually originally answering a bit of a daft question that I now see I should have quoted. But I like how that sounds, I would definitely play that.

Reactions: RVNSN

altmas66

May 4, 2020
Thank you, and you don't need to worry. I have zero plans and zero desire to have the love interests hook up with other characters (except for other females who are also options for the MC's lovers) - the girls won't be cheating on the MC, the MC will not be offering them to other guys like sharing a bottle of whiskey.

I was considering having prostitutes available at some points/places - this was an earlier idea, and there are much more important character relationships to present, not sure if I am going to do this, or if I still want to, but if so, it will be optional.

The one more likely possibility is giving the MC the option to become sexually/romantically involved with a higher being who (at least technically in the real world mythologies) has a significant other.

I welcome the feedback on any of these possibilities, and I will certainly consider such player feelings in my decisions. Ultimately, I am going to create this the way it speaks to me, but I am still interested in and care about how the players feel.

Regarding NTR and other sexual situations, based on some developer discussions I've read, the perception of it really being a part of game can vary from whether it involves the MC, whether it is optional, whether it happens at all with other characters who have absolutely no intimate connection to the MC, or any other scenario I am failing to think of. Please feel free to clarify your perspective on any of these areas, as I would love to have a better insight into how players perceive the various possibilities, especially as they relate to what I create.

But on the simpler side of things, I have absolutely no plans on any of the MC's love interests cheating on him, nor for the MC to offer them up like candy to someone else. The closest possibility of NTR that involves the MC is having the option of being with a woman who has a significant other, is not a "fall in love" love interest, and/or is a higher being.

I realize that some situations are very disliked by some people. For example, a couple of posts back when someone opted out of playing L&P because the story may very well show some level of femdom, even though it does not involve the MC, and wouldn't actually be a sex scene but part of the surroundings or an important part of a character the MC may meet. I do plan to include optional femdom involving the MC, but it is not a priority at this point, nor is this game meant to be a femdom focused game.

There will certainly be displays of tragic events (and I might consider giving a warning and option to skip viewing them, as I've seen done in The Deluca Family), but I have no interest in the MC's significant others sneaking around on him, nor in him offering them like they mean nothing to him.

Edit: I am not always on discord, but I do check in frequently, and it is a good place more detailed back and forth discussions of things if you like. Still happy to answer questions, concerns, whatnot here, but just wanted to mention the discord option if you are interested in it.
thank you very much for your response!. i have problems with the perception of ntr too. i can tell you what i no like. I hate when the Lis are involved whith other male characters, i do not mind so much when the Lis are involvedwith other females characters. If the female character is not a Li i do not mind she being with others (like is not my problem, they can have their love too). Thank you very mch for listen to petitions. and of course at the end you must always do the game that apasionate you, that is the best. you are a good Dev sir. Have a nice day!

RVNSN

Drunken Pirate Skirtchaser
Game Developer
Jan 17, 2019
Pirates rebelling against a global government that oversees a slave trade, in a world where some people have seemingly-magical powers? I feel like I've heard this story before, but I can't quite put my finger-length nose on it...
Just going through some things and thought about this conversation, so I'll mention a little trivia regarding a couple of influences that already exist:
- Katya Kazanova was named after, and her general appearance inspired by and honoring, the character Katya Kazanova from the animated series Archer.
- Sven's cyber arm is specifically influenced by Jet Black from the anime Cowboy Bebop, who is also partly the influence for his general physique.

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

Couatl

Dec 5, 2018
i like it so far but just wanna point out 2 small name errors. in the conversation Britta doesn't use the name i selected but used the original name.

RVNSN

Game Developer
Jan 17, 2019
i like it so far but just wanna point out 2 small name errors. in the conversation Britta doesn't use the name i selected but used the original name.
Thank you. I use a different name for my playthrough in hopes of catching these, but those slipped by me. I have fixed them in the wip script.

altmas66

May 4, 2020
Hello RVNSN, how are you? I have a question, i wish to continue your story, do you have an estimate time for the next release? I wish i could colaborate with you but i have little money right now :(
My best regards to you!

RVNSN

Game Developer
Jan 17, 2019
Hello RVNSN, how are you? I have a question, i wish to continue your story, do you have an estimate time for the next release? I wish i could colaborate with you but i have little money right now :(
My best regards to you!
Hi altmas66, thank you. At this point I still do not have an estimate for when the next release will be. Thing have been progressing somewhat slowly, but I have still been working as much as possible, continuing renders daily. These renders, primarily indoor scenes, are taking a long time, and I have been fixing some existing scenes after setting up improved water props and shaders. Along with the continued work, I am trying to work out an approach that will allow me to produce releases faster, without sacrificing too much in terms of quality.

I appreciate your sentiment, and I fully understand not being able to contribute financially.

altmas66

May 4, 2020
Hi altmas66, thank you. At this point I still do not have an estimate for when the next release will be. Thing have been progressing somewhat slowly, but I have still been working as much as possible, continuing renders daily. These renders, primarily indoor scenes, are taking a long time, and I have been fixing some existing scenes after setting up improved water props and shaders. Along with the continued work, I am trying to work out an approach that will allow me to produce releases faster, without sacrificing too much in terms of quality.

I appreciate your sentiment, and I fully understand not being able to contribute financially.
Thank you very much for your response! of course that i will wait with no problem at all until the next update. Again thank you and have a nice day dev

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
FEBRUARY 13 AT 10:25 AM

Good news update on the far too dramatic venture of the 3d workstation.

A week ago this past Friday, I was able to bring the new computer home to the boat, so that was a nice start.
Was able to order another 2080 ti gpu the next day, which arrived early last week. So far, it is working fine, except that the rgb lights are not working for some reason (a mystery, seemed to be a surprise to the seller, but part of the bracket where it screws to the computer case got bent in shipping, easily straightened, so maybe something happened to the led on/off button that's on this card), so that's disappointing, but otherwise it is good.

However, could not proceed with using it to render, because the electronic throttle control on my generator was broken. Had ordered and received a new carburetor at the end of January, but it was the wrong one and the throttle control couldn't even be used, as it had a completely different connector. Contacted the company about the carburetor, along with pics, and they sent out a replacement carb. 2 things went wrong with that: although my original order included paying for 2 day shipping, they sent the replacement with the slowest shipping, so it only showed up 2 days before the new gpu, and they did not even include the throttle control. Contacted them again, and they sent out a throttle control. Tried doing a render using the gpu the way it was, had the idle screw cranked up to force the generator motor to run higher and produce more power, but it still could not produce enough power for the gpu to run at full power as it needed for rendering. New throttle control arrived this past Friday, was able to change out the carburetor and throttle control on Saturday, and it is again running and performing as it should, plenty of power for everything to do their jobs.

Ran into first a small issue, where Daz Studio was letting the renderer default to using the cpu instead of the gpu, but that was not much of an issue, because I had previously read about this issue and needing to untick the cpu option in advanced render settings (the idea is that the cpu and gpu can work together to render faster, but the reality is that it just lets the cpu take over and the gpu does nothing). A larger issue was that if the scene contains too much information to be handled by the vram on the gpu, it will fail and end the render without getting anywhere, and this gpu has 11 GB vram. I tend to build larger scenes, with a lot of geometry, and in many instances have customized the textures with higher quality images and sometimes extra texture maps, and when you start adding a few characters to the scene it quickly requires a large amount of vram. I thought it would work like cpu rendering, where it simply would slow down the render, but as I discovered, it makes the gpu quit the render, so the render fails. After not finding an answer I finally checked the render log and saw the error codes, so looked them up and found out about this problem. Solution for that so far has been to turn off items outside of the influence of the current shot, which has been just enough to bring down the vram usage to a level where the gpu will continue; in one scene I was able to turn on "cpu fallback" and that was enough to get it over the hump, but in that case it was just barely failing to cover its needed memory usage, whereas in other scenes without turning off other unseen scene items, the cpu took over and the gpu did nothing. I will need to be mindful of this memory issue as I progress with this gpu, and I will work on getting a 3090 or better as soon as I can (3090 has 24 GB vram compared with 11 on the 2080 ti).

So, hopefully that is the end of the drama of getting my new 3d rig up and running, and now I am back to focusing on a reasonably steady workflow.

For a speed comparison, here is one of the slight spoiler images from a previous update (this specific image was rendered with the new gpu):

2080 ti gpu: 14 min 45 sec
new rig cpu only: 1 hour 44 min
2015 macbook pro: 18 hours 31 min

Have also done just a little bit of dforce testing with the gpu, and it is certainly an improvement, but it may or may not be fast enough to justify using it all of the time. Simulating one item at a time does make it work much faster, so I will try that to see if it is satisfactory, otherwise I will limit the dforce simulations until I upgrade the gpu.

Because of the vram issue, I am not planning on finding a second 2080 ti to add, will simply use this one until I can get a 3090 or better (at this time, the gpu I would most like is the nvidia rtx 6000 ada lovelace, with 48 GB vram, 18,176 cores, and a roughly $7,000 pricetag).
So, I am a happy dev right now, and now back to a more efficient and focused progress with Lust & Piracy.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
PLS, Admins, Aboned Tag
Sorry about that. I've been following this game, too (I'm on his Discord as well), but I kept forgetting to post the above update about things. I don't think the Ab(and)oned label should be applied to this game at all. The developer has been regularly communicating, which is one of the requirements to keep that label from being added to a game thread. Also, given the content of this latest progress update, it sounds like the dev is hard at work once more. So I think this should remain listed as an active game.

Reactions: pilapila3

RVNSN

Game Developer
Jan 17, 2019
Lust & Piracy - Book One - Entrance of the Apprentices v0.0.3.0 is now available for Sailing Master ($10) tier and higher

public release will be in 3 weeks

========
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
========

Also made a new banner, here's a

Last edited:
  • Yay, new update!

RVNSN

Game Developer
Jan 17, 2019
Does this game contain sandbox?
Yes, though this version, 0.0.3.0, like the previous one, ends without returning to free roam play. It was originally my intention to end this version with the return to free roam, but it just would have taken too long, and as it is it has been too long since the release of the previous version.

If you happen to be opposed to sandbox/open world games, the idea of making a more basic VN option has been on my mind for awhile, but I'll still need to get further along before I can decide how I would want to set up that option, so while there's a possibility that it will be added, don't expect it anytime soon.

• Red Heart

xizaaR

Mar 29, 2022
Yes, though this version, 0.0.3.0, like the previous one, ends without returning to free roam play. It was originally my intention to end this version with the return to free roam, but it just would have taken too long, and as it is it has been too long since the release of the previous version.

If you happen to be opposed to sandbox/open world games, the idea of making a more basic VN option has been on my mind for awhile, but I'll still need to get further along before I can decide how I would want to set up that option, so while there's a possibility that it will be added, don't expect it anytime soon.
I myself do not like sandbox at all, so a VN only mode is always a good idea in my eyes.

RVNSN

Game Developer
Jan 17, 2019
Lust & Piracy - Book One - Entrance of the Apprentices v0.0.3.0 is now available for Boatswain ($5) tier and higher

public release will be in 2 weeks

========
========

New banner, here's a

• Yay, new update!

RVNSN

Game Developer
Jan 17, 2019
Lust & Piracy - Book One - Entrance of the Apprentices v0.0.3.0 is now available for Powder Monkeys ($2) tier and higher

public release will be in 1 week

========
========

New banner, here's a

• Red Heart

RVNSN

Game Developer
Jan 17, 2019
Lust & Piracy - Book One - Entrance of the Apprentices v0.0.3.0 is now available for the public!

========
========

New banner, here's a

3.00 star(s) 2 Votes