Venoma

Nov 30, 2018
Sorry you feel that way. What in your opinion would make it more interesting?

That depends. If you were looking to end up attracting a larger and more universally appealing scale of interest in a second attempt, and not just end up with a thread full of hardcore fetish people (who tend to play every decent looking game regardless unless it has the unavoidable NTR dividing line) here praising a game that is only seeing a few hundred dollars of monthly support?

My opinion would be that you are better off taking your attractive character model style, plus the unfortunately rare aspect that you are capable of putting out a game that reads in clear english, and applying that to a same setting that is ditching the incest theme altogether. Since while sex obviously sell to everybody and will always be a thing, the days of it being a lot more of a rarity to come across a game with higher quality girl models included isn't. And contrary to popular and newer dev default belief....there is a lot more people out there who beyond the offered girls won't find themselves seriously resonating towards a "fall in a deep and meaningful love relationship with my sister" storyline then will.

I obviously was among one of those former.

Last edited:

Fasder

Open bob
Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
That depends. If you were looking to end up attracting a larger and more universally appealing scale of interest in a second attempt, and not just end up with a thread full of hardcore fetish people (who tend to play every decent looking game regardless unless it has the unavoidable NTR dividing line) here praising a game that is only seeing a few hundred dollars of monthly support?

My opinion would be that you are better off taking your attractive character model style, plus the unfortunately rare aspect that you are capable of putting out a game that reads in clear english, and applying that to a same setting that is ditching the incest theme altogether. Since while sex obviously sell to everybody and will always be a thing, the days of it being a lot more of a rarity to come across a game with higher quality girl models included isn't. And contrary to popular and newer dev default belief....there is a lot more people out there who beyond the offered girls won't find themselves seriously resonating towards a "fall in a deep and meaningful love relationship with my sister" storyline then will.

I obviously was among one of those former.
I see where you're coming from, but I think the problems (if you want to call it that) with Making a Mark isn't quite that simple.
For one, many people are put off by the CS talk, which I get and I wouldn't expect people to love it if they don't know what the fuck is going on. Two, the sandbox games are not super popular, there are some people, like me who enjoy them. Three, the fake looking tiddies put some people off, which I understand too. Four, the writing could be a lot better. Five, Mark being too odd for a lot of people.

Aside from the boobs, I have/will address this in my next game.
Why I started making this game in the first place was because I wanted it to exist, not to appeal to as many people as possible.
My next game, based on the observations I've made over the years, will likely appeal to at least a few more people. Still it might do worse than Making a Mark for whatever reason, but the bottom line is that I want to do what I like, not to say I don't account for feedback in anyway. If I see comments repeated over and over again, then I'll try and figure out a solution that doesn't compromise what I have in mind for said feature.

Making a Mark has been a great learning experience for me and it's been fun to develop it. I hope to be able to work faster in the future since I had a big slump having to deal with depression, anxiety and a whole slew of other problems, which are still present, but not quite as crippling as before.

So yeah, I think there are many problems and I think we'll just have to see what happens once the game comes around. So far the feedback I've gotten from my playtesters has been positive.

why i cant buy an earplug
You probably need to get the hammer first.
Got to the bathroom and try to break the lock. Now you'll be able to purchase it from Jenny at the store.
Then you'll be able to get the earplugs.

btrain33

Dec 29, 2018
I see where you're coming from, but I think the problems (if you want to call it that) with Making a Mark isn't quite that simple.
For one, many people are put off by the CS talk, which I get and I wouldn't expect people to love it if they don't know what the fuck is going on. Two, the sandbox games are not super popular, there are some people, like me who enjoy them. Three, the fake looking tiddies put some people off, which I understand too. Four, the writing could be a lot better. Five, Mark being too odd for a lot of people.

Aside from the boobs, I have/will address this in my next game.
Why I started making this game in the first place was because I wanted it to exist, not to appeal to as many people as possible.
My next game, based on the observations I've made over the years, will likely appeal to at least a few more people. Still it might do worse than Making a Mark for whatever reason, but the bottom line is that I want to do what I like, not to say I don't account for feedback in anyway. If I see comments repeated over and over again, then I'll try and figure out a solution that doesn't compromise what I have in mind for said feature.

Making a Mark has been a great learning experience for me and it's been fun to develop it. I hope to be able to work faster in the future since I had a big slump having to deal with depression, anxiety and a whole slew of other problems, which are still present, but not quite as crippling as before.

So yeah, I think there are many problems and I think we'll just have to see what happens once the game comes around. So far the feedback I've gotten from my playtesters has been positive.

Got to the bathroom and try to break the lock. Now you'll be able to purchase it from Jenny at the store.
I think this game is great. Storywise it's one of the best written VN games I've ever played. Please keep up the great work, but most of all take care of yourself. Your health is most important, and I look forward to seeing more great content from you.

Reactions: Fasder

Fasder

Open bob
Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
how to get earplug from the store

btrain33

Dec 29, 2018
Any chance of MC having some fun with the twins? Now that would be an epic ending....a 4 way with sis and the twins would be awesome.

Reactions: Jenzi800

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Any chance of MC having some fun with the twins? Now that would be an epic ending....a 4 way with sis and the twins would be awesome.
Well earlier in development I expected things to turn that way a bit. I think twins might even be open to it to some degree, though their relation together will always be the one most important to them. I suspect the problem is more in the dynamic between Sarah and Mark, now they are together.

Mark does not need more then Sarah and will not go after them for sex even if he likes them, is comfortable with them and finds them attractive. Sarah is not Bi or otherwise strongly sexually interested in them and I am not sure she is really interested in or comfortable with sharing him. Twins are kinda aware of their dynamic, so unless Sarah and twins decide they want kids and Mark has to be the father, it seems unlikely either of the four would push for sex between them outside of their normal coupling, without something happening first that would upset their current balance.

I am quite sure the twins might well include Mark whom they both like a lot in their relation if something would happen to Sarah, might take a while and grow slowly, but easily could see that happen.

Reactions: Ariostebaldo

Venoma

Nov 30, 2018
It's admittedly been a very long while since I actually sat down to play your game, but I'll offer you my detailed thoughts on that to the best of my recollection:

1. No doubt all the CS talk was a engaged interest miss with the general audience as a whole you are going to find playing these types of games.

2. Sandbox games aren't super popular, or by and large generate a lot of distain feedback comments here over being such, because they are sandbox games. Sandbox games get the hate they do because of what's basically almost a default new dev decision to always tie such into the inclusion need of repetitive scene grinds and artificial "getting too far away from what the player is really after here" time sink elements. With most never completely grasping the simple principle that there *are* better and much more unique ways to add sandbox'y elements to your game that don't include just endlessly copycatting the same energy/food/money model aspects that has never in itself played up as positive point towards why people ended up liking a game. That, and if players are spending 1.5 hours of a supposed 2 hour content update clicking around or grinding some stat up, you never get bonus time spent points out of that from most people sitting down to play it. The game will ultimately always have been better off sticking to a shorter 30 minute update format (even if/when that gets it's own complaints) where the player was at least seeing the story content pushing forward in some non-artificial manner with every step they took.

At the core and by differing tastes in content nature, imo a sandbox formula in itself will always be the more ideal delivery system for any game looking to deliver a wide variety of desired content....but only if done right and without the mostly universally undesired elements. Which again is rarely ever the case...so hence the hate. I actually want to recall thinking that from a pure presentation standpoint you got a lot of the core elements in your's right. Nothing overly complicated about clicking around from a single screen, keeping it super simple indications that a girl is here, ect. You just made the same cardinal sin mistake pretty much everybody else does by adding a too drawn out layer of grind feel to it, and which for a lot of people basically ended up defeating everything you did get right.

3. Tastes on that are always going have a subjective variable going in to them, but I will say this. Your big but never overly cartoon'y sized fake tit and skinny girl models wasn't one of this game's issues. If anything it was it's strongest point (especially at the time it came out), and likely the #1 reason (by far) it even got as many plays/downloads as it did or why people played through the grind. Could it be polished up to better meet increased standards today? Probably. But that game development decision was basically the equivalent of putting chicken parmesan on an italian dinner menu. Sure, there might be vocal people out there pointing out that they don't prefer chicken, or how they like a more natural and non carnivorous diet, but by and large it has the best definitive track record of hitting that universal appeal note among the most people sitting down to eat an italian meal.

4&5. Like I said it's been a while so with this specifically my mind is a little fuzzy, but as noted previously I remember the game reading in clear english. So that in itself is huge pro point to the writing. Whether the MC lacked that extra layer of personality I don't recall though, as to be blunt it wouldn't of mattered much anyway since you essentially conceding that additional layer of my interest away once you went down the road of centering the entire storyline theme around incest.

As I've pointed out multiple times elsewhere over the last year+ while game development on this stuff has been evolving forward: You can make a game that has a deep and engaging story that stands out on it's own over a sea of constant copycat formulas being pushed out on the daily. You can also make an fun to play incest game. You can't have both when the latter doesn't actually resonate on that type of deeper level among a lot of people who will play an incest game for the jerk off sex scenes, but most of whom don't actually do so under some literal fantasy mental image interpretation in their heads that they are screwing their own mom or sister.

Like the recent trend of some higher production value game efforts trying to combine mens' Don Corleone fantasy appeal to a character that a few scenes latter finds themselves trying to screw "mommy", and which then finds the dev 6+ months latter wondering why all that effort isn't paying off with more total interest they assumed would be there...trying to combine a legitimately deep/emotional/engaging story with a strong incest angle is again the rough equivalent of offering people a ham and peanut butter sandwich. Which most people are just going to conclude that the taste notes are too conflicting and that it simply doesn't go well together. It's the worse initial mistake a story aimed at being "more" can make nowadays. Just like any incest game that tries to take itself or it's presentation too seriously is the worst mistake it can make. Times change, and the formulas that might of worked 2 years ago don't have the same surrounding variables going in to their likelihood of being deemed successful anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fasder

Fasder

Open bob
Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
0.17.00 Not really sure why it wont trigger. The Hint just says 'Work on the QDPA' but in the office nothing happens, it just give +0 QDPA and that's it.
Could be that you're suffering from the bug in the previous version. I can check your save if you upload it and fix it for you.
Where do I get the screwdriver for the bathroom door?
Try to break the lock on the bathroom door, then Jenny will have an interaction available at the store.

khahan

Jun 21, 2018
Could be that you're suffering from the bug in the previous version. I can check your save if you upload it and fix it for you.

Try to break the lock on the bathroom door, then Jenny will have an interaction available at the store.
Broke it with the hammer. Had a message about needing more agility. Never got the option. Games complete though, finished what you have so far last night so I'm well beyond this point. Appreciate the offer, though, thank you.

Fasder

Open bob
Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
Broke it with the hammer. Had a message about needing more agility. Never got the option. Games complete though, finished what you have so far last night so I'm well beyond this point. Appreciate the offer, though, thank you.
Yeah you just have to attempt to break the lock, then you can get the hammer which is needed to get the earplugs. :)

BGRW2020

Jul 8, 2020
Fake tit looks terrible, why can't some have real looking breasts, nice looking girls but tits ruin them, not to mention too much lesbian action

the66

beware, the germans are cumming
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jan 27, 2017
The66. Just installed your Android port. What is the new "energy" settings ??
there are no new "energy" settings?
starting from v0.16.00 you can dis-/enable the energy mechanics in the preferences screen and that's it.

Reactions: Mr.Finn
3.50 star(s) 45 Votes