Fasder

Open bob
Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
The scenes at the cabin are beautifully done
Thank you, I put a lot of thought and time into making it.
and playing the whole thing in one go-through tied a lot of things together more effectively.
That's what I've been going for, it's a bad game to make with this type of development, but I think the end result will be rather good.
And the grind wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Yeah... I'm not sure people realize how different it is once you start from the beginning and all the content is finished (it isn't but it's all tied together in this version).
(The exception would be after the final exam... I basically just found myself fast-forwarding and skipping around locations for three weeks while waiting for the twins to show up at the gym before I could finally make any progress).
It's hard to avoid right at the end of this update, I'd have to add a bunch of fluff content, maybe I can later down the line.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: fauxplayer

Mortarion

Donor
Oct 22, 2017
'til now i havent played the now version, downloading atm.

I just want to thank the dev for this great game, and his patience in this thread, with some toxic users and his help for guys who stuck in the game.

And a few words to the guys who bitch around because the grind, just stop it. Ever played Big Brother or Tangled up? That is grind what is going nuts, try this games, compare, and think about it again.

Reactions: Fasder and UncleVT

Hermit76

Apr 15, 2018
It seems I am stuck, too.
My relations are: Helen 26, Jenna 40, Sarah 56, Jenny 40. None of them seems to raise anymore.
My abilities are: thesis 9/15 (can't be raised anymore, Helen has told me to "wait until later"), strenght 60, intelligence 67, agility 79, cooking 37.
I have the dildo and 5 bottles of red wine, but neither can I continue my thesis nor write the exam nor does the birthday even take place. I have a walk with Helen at night since several days, but it doesn't change anything. What am I missing? Can anybody help, please? Raising the stats is getting boring if nothing else is happening.

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
After all this time, I'm still undecided on whether I like this game or not. To be fair, I really really really like the storyline. But on the hand, I really dislike the sandbox gameplay because it doesn't feel like it works well. Sandbox usually gives tons of freedom and that means tons of content. But this game has a very specific and linear storyline that the sandbox feature just seems pretty useless. This then leads to a lot of confusion about what to do next or how to trigger this and that because it's just unclear.

The disconnect between the sandbox gameplay and the storyline is very apparent where you had the sandbox and repetitive things to do everyday, then suddenly you're stuck in a very long linear storyline once you've done the exam.

This is not to say that the game is bad, but it just seems like it would've been so much better if it focuses on one thing or the other. Sandbox with lots of independent content, or linear-ish with strong storyline.

Reactions: Fasder

darkrain1993

Jul 20, 2018
Hello, I have a problem.
There is an <unknown> in the achievement menu under the general category at second place, just below the got a job at pizzeria.
What did I miss? I still haven't taken the test yet.

Carmen Sandiego

Game Developer
May 17, 2017
Haven't tried the game in a while, went back and tried the "new" update. After looking at some posts, I'm pretty sure I need to start a new game cause my save is super old and I cant do shit in the game now. So much for a quick trip back.

Fasder

Open bob
Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
To be fair, I really really really like the storyline. But on the hand, I really dislike the sandbox gameplay because it doesn't feel like it works well.
Well you said "really" three times in the positive and once in the negative, so it's 3-1, which isn't bad, I'll take what I can get. ;)

Sandbox usually gives tons of freedom and that means tons of content.
They do, yes, but I've been severly limited by hardware for about the first six updates. If I was going to make more "stuff" just to fill it out then I'd be nowhere near where I am right now.
It's also sort of a "learning the ropes" game for me.
This then leads to a lot of confusion about what to do next or how to trigger this and that because it's just unclear.
I don't really see this as a negative. In my eyes, some of the best games of all time require you to ask people or read becuase the game is not there to hold your hand.
It seems like this is a dying breed of game though...
The disconnect between the sandbox gameplay and the storyline is very apparent where you had the sandbox and repetitive things to do everyday, then suddenly you're stuck in a very long linear storyline once you've done the exam.
It's a reward system, complete this to get your reward. While I understand thst it can get a little confusing if you don't pay attention to the numbers, it's really no different than farming gold for a new item.
but it just seems like it would've been so much better if it focuses on one thing or the other.
I disagree, pure VN's is not my thing, there has to be something else to do, just reading medicore writing for several hours can get tedious.

There is an <unknown> in the achievement menu under the general category at second place, just below the got a job at pizzeria.
It means you didn't get 4/4 when you did the test for working at the school.

I'm pretty sure I need to start a new game cause my save is super old and I cant do shit in the game now.
Yes, yes you do, unfortunatly.
If your save is from prior to 0.06.03 I would consider it broken, just to be safe.
After that point I've been more careful with my decisions so I'm hoping I won't have to break them again, even if it means a little more work for me.

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
I don't really see this as a negative. In my eyes, some of the best games of all time require you to ask people or read becuase the game is not there to hold your hand.
It seems like this is a dying breed of game though...
Clarity is always a big deal to me. I'm fine with trying to figure out what to do on our own, but there needs to be some sort of clarity about it and I feel that's what missing in this game. There are a lot of variables to consider in this game and it isn't clear which one(s) is needed to trigger something next. It can be the day, the hour, the location, the individual stats, or the relationship stats. None of which is clear which one is needed and what's required. So if the game is just blindly asking the players to brute force trying every single combination, I don't think that is a good design.

For example, the final exam needs Helen relationship to be 35. But why 35? There is no clear reason and it's essentially just a random number. If someone has Helen at relationship 15, that person will just have to try at 16,17,18,etc all the way up to 35 because they wouldn't know that 35 is the number. On top of that, they wouldn't know whether Helen's relationship at 35 is the only requirement or not. How about other stats? This is not counting the fact that it's weird that the relationship with your teacher is the trigger for final exam to begin with. So you kinda just end up being stuck at "well .. just do everything and hope something triggers it" without having any understanding why it is the trigger.

It's a reward system, complete this to get your reward. While I understand thst it can get a little confusing if you don't pay attention to the numbers, it's really no different than farming gold for a new item.
I'm referring more to the disconnect between the freedom of a sandbox (where you have lots of control and can choose what to do, where, and at what time) and the linear storyline (suddenly locked into a sequence of multiple events where location, time, day no longer matters because you just follow the scene with no control).

Imagine if sandbox game is like eating at a buffet where you can choose what you want to eat, how much you want to eat, and you can comeback to eat the same thing again or pick something new. After having buffet most of the time, then suddenly you're stuck in a 9-course meal. That's what I meant with the disconnect because you went from one end to the extreme other end.

I disagree, pure VN's is not my thing, there has to be something else to do, just reading medicore writing for several hours can get tedious.
I'm not saying that it needs to be pure VN, but there are plenty of non-sandbox Renpy games out there that aren't pure VN's either. For me personally, grinding stat isn't necessarily a great filler either. It's just bloating the game IMO.

Having said all that, I respect that it is your game and you're 100% completely free to make the game however you want to. All I've said is purely just my personal opinion and not necessarily mean it's the correct way or anything like that. You're absolutely free to continue making the game the way you want to :)

Hermit76

Apr 15, 2018
First of all, I think it is great to be able to discuss with a game developer the game in development, especially if there is an open ear for constructive critics. :)
The relationship level to Helen is a valid argument. I have to agree with Skylargoo. You do not expect to need a certain level of relationship with your professor to be able to start the final exam. Even for the result you do not expect that. You rather start raising your intelligence score. But if that does not help, it is getting frustrating. For software quality satisfying the expectations is an important issue. That is purely about its usability, of course, and does not mean that every user's/player's wish - in this case fetish - has to be satisfied. And I think it is never a good sign that a player can be stuck for a longer time, because for example he never visited the university at 6 PM, but only during regular hours (8 AM, 10 AM, whatever). Helen's suggestion to continue with the thesis later on is too misunderstanding. I think, it would be better, if she had just suggested to make a break and continue at a later hour, for example when it has become calmer there...

Fasder

Open bob
Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
There are a lot of variables to consider in this game and it isn't clear which one(s) is needed to trigger something next.
So every stat is gated behind any given scene, you can't raise a stat more than x with any given scene. This is something that has been true throughout the whole game. If you can raise a stat and nothing is happening then you need to continue to raise that stat. To me this is pretty straight forward, but there have been people who don't seem to see how things work within the game, and I'll admit that it is a bit of a problem.

So if the game is just blindly asking the players to brute force trying every single combination, I don't think that is a good design.
This is really only true when you're walking, other than that specific event there isn't a whole lot you can effectively bruteforce.

For example, the final exam needs Helen relationship to be 35. But why 35?
All affection levels goes in 5-25 increments, where 10 is the most common. Helen goes from (sometimes -5-15) 0-15, 15-25 and (sometimes) 25-35.
This is true for all characters.
So going by applying the logic that if you can raise the stats it should be pretty obvious that the stat in question is what is holding you back.

(suddenly locked into a sequence of multiple events where location, time, day no longer matters because you just follow the scene with no control).
I get what you're saying but this is a single event with a lot of story elements, I knew it'd be long and I think that's fine. Other than being very long it (mostly) follows the same pattern as the rest of the game.

That's what I meant with the disconnect because you went from one end to the extreme other end.
Is that bad though? I don't feel like it is.
Having spent a lot of time building toward a climax, so to speak, that climax can't be lack-luster.
Although I can see why it's a little frustrating that it's so linear, but like I've mentioned before so is the rest of the game, sort of.

All I've said is purely just my personal opinion and not necessarily mean it's the correct way or anything like that.
I know and I appreciate it, constructive criticism hard to come by these days. :)

You rather start raising your intelligence score.
That is true, and while I sort of agree it felt better to make it that way.
If I were to change it so that Helen's affection level wouldn't be a trigger then you'd still need to raise it to 35 in order for the birthday party to trigger. Which poses the same problem, the final exam is at least related to the school and therefor somewhat to Helen, the birthday party is not.
Either way, there is just no way of getting around this specific problem, the story just wouldn't make sense if I ignored either of these.
One way would be to make the encounter with Helen while walking a one time event, but people have been requesting repeatable sex scenes, so that's what I made. It's just going around in circles and I do the best I can with what's in my "toolbox".

I think, it would be better, if she had just suggested to make a break and continue at a later hour, for example when it has become calmer there...
There is a notification after they get interrupted in the library that the school closes at 19:00, I felt like it would be clear enough. I was probably wrong on that but it was difficult to discern whether or not people just forgot between updates or if it was too cryptic (the notification happen in 0.06.03 I think and the scene which this notification is meant for was included in 0.07.03).
I've thought about just adding a (18:00) after "Maybe I should come back later, like Helen said"(I forget the exact words), which would probably eliminate this problem entirely, but it also doesn't fit my usual design.

Reactions: UncleVT

Carmen Sandiego

Game Developer
May 17, 2017
Yes, yes you do, unfortunatly.
If your save is from prior to 0.06.03 I would consider it broken, just to be safe.
After that point I've been more careful with my decisions so I'm hoping I won't have to break them again, even if it means a little more work for me.
No worries, I know how it is. Keep up the good work!

Deleted member 207916

Sep 17, 2017
Ok guys i have a q ?

How to progress the story with Sarrah? Stats with her is 48, i have S and A 42, I 41, Cook skill 25, ive finished Thesis, before that i rejected Helen. And beside massages to Sarrah it seams i stucked. I dont wanna interact with other charactes, but to concentrate on Sarrah, can anyone help pls ?

Sorry for bad English, its not my native language...

Fasder

Open bob
Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
I dont wanna interact with other charactes, but to concentrate on Sarrah, can anyone help pls ?
Unfortunately that's not possible. You shouldn't have to do anything else with Helen, unless you haven't gotten the power supply yet, which you should have.
You also need to meet up with Sarah and go for a walk in the evening that will build your affection up to 56, just not sure if you've unlocked that scene yet, you probably need to build your affection with Jenna and Jenny before you will get any further.

Deleted member 207916

Sep 17, 2017
Unfortunately that's not possible. You shouldn't have to do anything else with Helen, unless you haven't gotten the power supply yet, which you should have.
You also need to meet up with Sarah and go for a walk in the evening that will build your affection up to 56, just not sure if you've unlocked that scene yet, you probably need to build your affection with Jenna and Jenny before you will get any further.
I didnt had walking scene with Sarah. So basicly, i need to restart. Is there any walkthrough ?
Btw idk the word but this game is exelent, keep up...

3.50 star(s) 45 Votes