Fasder

Open bob
Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
I don't think it needs huge changes, and with everybody unanimously agreeing on the cabine scene (that should be interesting :) ) being amazing, it's a solid WIP.
Well, all of the changes or improvements that we've discussed would be pretty big changes for the game, either in terms of pure work or the general design of the game.

If not intuitive, set it to intuitive?
Correct!

so that was never a roadblock to me.
It's only really been a problem with Helen and with Jenna and Jenny at this particular place in the game. So it's not a gigantic problem, but I can totally see how it's not 100% clear that you're supposed to get more affection with Helen by going for a walk.

not being able to buy the dildo implied that that was due for a later time.
Usually it's the other way around, it's available but you forget to buy it. I know that's happened to me a few times while play testing.

but I dare say it's not a good design philosophy in my book.
It's nothing revolutionary, but I'd argue it breaks things up a bit, which I think can be a good thing.
The original design had another layer of forward, left, right, which would've made it even harder. Fortunately I came to my senses.

I know it's wrong even for pseudo code but you get the idea ^^
Yeah, maybe you're right.

If this is what you suspected, why didn't you say so in the first place? :p
I'm pretty sure I did, but it might've gotten lost in the sea of words. ;)

Gimme a sec... Yup, it works! I'll enjoy going through it over the weekend and get back to you. Have fun! :D
Cool, enjoy!

Reactions: Dragonflight

Dragonflight

Dec 10, 2017
Usually it's the other way around, it's available but you forget to buy it. I know that's happened to me a few times while play testing.
Haha, that legitimately made me laugh, thank you.

Well, all of the changes or improvements that we've discussed would be pretty big changes for the game, either in terms of pure work or the general design of the game.
Good point. Is it worth it in the long run? That's a question only you can answer, so that may or may not be a thing to invest in.

It's only really been a problem with Helen and with Jenna and Jenny at this particular place in the game.
Thinking about it, very true. In terms of raising affection with J&J you did say that I need to raise theirs, and I did pretty much everything I could think of _apart_ from not doing the morning exercises. It became part of the routine at some point since I didn't knew if strength would play an important part somewhere and agility already had a (limited) use. In addition, both stats seemed to climb indefinitely. Not searching for excuses here, that was what was going on in my game.

It's nothing revolutionary, but I'd argue it breaks things up a bit, which I think can be a good thing.
I recommend checking out Ross's "Armed And Delirious" - Game Dungeon on utube, specifically the second part (could post a link). There you can see this... thing in action in an unreasonable manner, waaay beyond your walk in the night. Yes, breaking up things is definitely on the good side of things and welcome. If nobody else found it a bad way of breaking up of things, I can totally see why you would just leave it as is and move on.
There are plenty of mini-games and trial and error things out there that are much worse and people pretty much universally hate them.

Hey, a 'short' post for once ^^

Reactions: Fasder

Dragonflight

Dec 10, 2017
I got around to play the cabin scene for myself, so I'll leave some feedback as well.

The TL;DR: It's good. I agree with what people said before, it's a worthy payoff. It flows well within the rest of the game, the pacing and what happens is well executed and the ending leaves the door open for all kinds of directions.
Take your time with the next update, definitely deserves special attention ^^

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Fasder

Open bob
Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
Is it worth it in the long run?
Yeah, it's probably worth it if I want more players. If I want to realize my vision, not so much.
Not searching for excuses here, that was what was going on in my game.
That's a good point, I hadn't considered that angle before.
There are plenty of mini-games and trial and error things out there that are much worse and people pretty much universally hate them.
Trial and error = bad, good to know. ;)
Take your time with the next update, definitely deserves special attention ^^
Yeah, I've felt quite burnt out so things aren't moving at rocket speed, but it's getting there.
Aaw, Sarah even payed for the wine...
Depends on how much money you have. ;)
Not an easy thing to do with a setting that tries to be on the more realistic side, good job! :)
Thank you!
I liked the different b-days for the twins. A small, and largely unnecessary detail, but it made me smirk.
Must have happened to someone at some point, so I figured, why not?
So it was kind of a big swing when I saw where the story went, but it's not unreasonable.
She's been difficult to make, not only because I really didn't know what I was doing with her until months into development. I've adjusted the intro several times to be more nondescript, intentionally misleading. Then you get a bit more information from the scene in her bedroom, not a ton, but a little. There's also a part about her at the bar with Sarah. The next part is before the birthday party, which reinforces what was said at the bar and adds additional information. It's not a huge amount to go on, but it's not too difficult to discern that she's maybe not a great parent/person.
but defining dislikes can work better than the other way around.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks. :)
Another day or two of moping wouldn't be unreasonable but that was a good way of breaking up the misery and moving the pace along.
That's good, I was a little afraid the "moping part" wasn't long enough. It had to feel impactful and real, otherwise it wouldn't have mattered.
I say that much that I felt that dealing with the cashier could have used a few lines less, but that might be a matter of taste.
Yeah, I'm not 100% happy with that part. It wasn't very straight forward to write.
That's great, but they're showing it at every opportunity at length. I feel like a little less would be more, not dwelling on a beaten idiot shows more self confidence as well.
Aside from the part with the cashier, are there any specific scenes where you can point it out?
Sarah's walking animation from behind with her backpack on was rather funny than sexy. If it wasn't meant to be hot, I'd keep it cause it made me chuckle a little when I saw it the first time ^^
I hadn't really thought about it, it's just something I figured I could try out. So it was more of a "why the hell not" kind of things than anything else.
Good feedback though, I'll keep it in mind. :)
nd there is an unusual amount of peeing being shown, at least from what I can tell. Keep it, or make it optional,
It is optional, you need to watch the hidden scene with Jenna and Jenny on the street for these to even show up (this scene works as a trigger). I figured you would've understood that based on what I told you in previous posts. Either way, it's optional and I can turn it off for you if you want me to.
I fully expected Sarah to say:"It's the end of the current version." ^^
That would've been funny but would've been a little tricky with the programming. Might be useful in the future though. ;)
Plenty of typos but good enough
Yeah, I'm trying to get better, but it's a slow and tedious journey. The guy who helped me proofread seems to have disappeared too, so I'm afraid you're stuck with it for now.
It's a bit on the fairy tale side of things but I like happy endings, so totally fine with me :D
You know, I thought about this for a bit and was a little surprised at how accurate it was, it's kind of like R-rated Disney.

Dragonflight

Dec 10, 2017
Yeah, it's probably worth it if I want more players. If I want to realize my vision, not so much.
Maybe a stupid question, are we talking about a hint system? I like those but obviously it would be ideal if you could think of a way for the paths to interconnect a little better :)
Trial and error = bad, good to know. ;)
Dang it, should've been more clear but I only got 3 hours of sleep and my brain doesn't wont to spit out the stuff I ask it to. Trial and error is how a wast amount of learning is done, yes. You know what? It's fine, you want to make a grindy after all and in way it fits.
It's not a huge amount to go on, but it's not too difficult to discern that she's maybe not a great parent/person.
I really should have re-played from the start. I distinctly remember Sarah talking in the bar about it and more skimming then attentively reading through that part cause I wasn't up for what felt like family drama in that moment, that's my bad, sorry.
The part before the birthday party honestly kinda felt... weird in retrospective. To me it was an *eye rolling* moment: I get it Sarah, you really don't like your mom, you can stop going on about it. It worked too in the sense that (my opinion) we as a child normally have a rather one-dimensional image of our parents and that doesn't change if we don't grow up and basically re-aquaint ourselves at a later time if that's possible, so it didn't raise a red flag. If I had been following the story and dialogues more from a meta-perspective, that would have been a giant exclamation mark.
Aside from the part with the cashier, are there any specific scenes where you can point it out?
Basically any scene where one of the girls got into an argument with a guy. For lovers not to just back off when your counterpart is backing down can be normal in my experience. With a random stranger they'll just be on their way, unless they're having a bad, bad day already.
It is optional, you need to watch the hidden scene with Jenna and Jenny on the street for these to even show up.
Smart. I could have guessed that myself, but by now I largely switched from assuming to asking if I can. Awesome, that's prolly as next to perfect a way of implementing it, kudos.
You know, I thought about this for a bit and was a little surprised at how accurate it was, it's kind of like R-rated Disney.
Haha, I didn't think of it like this, nice!
The guy who helped me proofread seems to have disappeared too, so I'm afraid you're stuck with it for now.
I can't gauge exactly how time extensive it would be to proofread it to a satisfactory state, but I could go through it and send you an interpretation per PM if you like.

edit:
I just had a quick look and will put it in a conversation. It's really only six lines, so no problem at all.

Fasder

Open bob
Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
Maybe a stupid question, are we talking about a hint system? I like those but obviously it would be ideal if you could think of a way for the paths to interconnect a little better :)
Hints, objectives, no-grind, alerts for new scenes, etc. All the stuff that's been discussed and suggested.
Yes, I think that'd be a good idea too. I just don't really know how I would do that.
Trial and error is how a wast amount of learning is done, yes. You know what? It's fine, you want to make a grindy after all and in way it fits.
I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I understood what you meant.
It's more blindly guess the password, rather than figure out a way to crack the password type of deal.
I get it Sarah, you really don't like your mom
Hahaha.
one-dimensional image of our parents and that doesn't change if we don't grow up and basically re-aquaint ourselves at a later time if that's possible
That is true...
What I'm doing here is basically creating an image of what it's been like. Sarah feels like she's been harassed by their mother for a long time. And even if she's not been present for the last couple of months, these people have experiences and stories going back before the start of the game.
So I feel like it's a leap to assume she doesn't know their mom, but I get your perspective.
If I had been following the story and dialogues more from a meta-perspective, that would have been a giant exclamation mark.
Possibly, but it's good that you point it out, I haven't heard a whole lot about people's reactions to this event.
Basically any scene where one of the girls got into an argument with a guy.
So, I can't think of any other arguments in the game as is...
For lovers not to just back off when your counterpart is backing down can be normal in my experience. With a random stranger they'll just be on their way, unless they're having a bad, bad day already.
Sure, I can see that.
The thing about the cashier dude though, is that he's kind of an asshole. But they're also exploiting him, so it gets this weird dynamic.
I can't gauge exactly how time extensive it would be to proofread it to a satisfactory state, but I could go through it and send you an interpretation per PM if you like.
Got it, thanks!

Dragonflight

Dec 10, 2017
... All the stuff that's been discussed and suggested... I just don't really know how I would do that.
Maybe it'll come as a sudden inspiration or as a lingering result from a discussion. Life is not done, I mean finished, yet and it's not like you have a publisher with a deadline holding a gun to your head :)
I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I understood what you meant.
It's more blindly guess the password, rather than figure out a way to crack the password type of deal.
Yes, thank you! See brain? What? No, you can't have more coffee right now.
So I feel like it's a leap to assume she doesn't know their mom, but I get your perspective.
There's more than that to it than that. Projections and all that good jazz, family and interpersonal dynamics; I didn't mean she doesn't know her mom, she does know _a part_ of her mom very well. But we're not at odds here and the scene works well anyhow :)
So, I can't think of any other arguments in the game as is...
There aren't many arguments indeed, I'll go through the game again and take notes to highlight what I mean.

Fasder

Open bob
Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
Maybe it'll come as a sudden inspiration or as a lingering result from a discussion. Life is not done, I mean finished, yet and it's not like you have a publisher with a deadline holding a gun to your head :)
To me "the frame" of the game is done, all it needs is the full picture E.G. content. So that's part of why I'm hesitant, I've also worked on this thing for a bit more than a year and a half. It would be nice to finish it within a reasonable time frame without dwelling on things that I find little value in.
But yeah, it's the weigh the options kind of deal, we'll see what happens.
No, you can't have more coffee right now.
Don't be a jerk, give it some coffee!
I didn't mean she doesn't know her mom, she does know _a part_ of her mom very well
Yeah sure, but the statement still stands, if she's an asshole all the time then maybe she's just an asshole? :D
But we're not at odds here and the scene works well anyhow :)
Always good to discuss things. :)
There aren't many arguments indeed, I'll go through the game again and take notes to highlight what I mean.
You don't have to do that, but if anything comes to you then please, let me know. :)

Dragonflight

Dec 10, 2017
It would be nice to finish it within a reasonable time frame.
Of course. Seeing as you have been over this countless times, I can understand that you'd like to move on
*at some point*.

Don't be a jerk, give it some coffee!
Haha... good thing it's not awake enough to process this. But nice try :p

Yeah sure, but the statement still stands, if she's an asshole all the time then maybe she's just an asshole? :D
I never claimed she's not. In fact, judging from her behavior she didn't strike me as a nice kind of person either. I was only talking about Sarah, or rather how perceptions of people can be skewed. Can happen easily enough that two people would describe a person they know very differently; like say a co-worker and a child of said person.

Fasder

Open bob
Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
Of course. Seeing as you have been over this countless times, I can understand that you'd like to move on
*at some point*.
Indeed, to me it's about doing things that I don't feel are necessary instead of doing things like making content, this would just add to the amount of time it'd take to get to a release candidate.
But nice try :p
Damn, next time then...
or rather how perceptions of people can be skewed.
Yeah, and I don't think it's unreasonable to think about it that way. They way the scene was written was from two different perspectives, one from Mark's perspective and one from Sarah's.

Abîme

Sep 27, 2018
By changing the font type, that's better, more comfortable to play. Thanks:)
The fact there are a couple of games very challenging to play if you have a bad eyesight and even with my glasses I'm not spare by headhache, so thank again.

Retro

Retired
Former Staff
Sep 7, 2017
By changing the font type, that's better, more comfortable to play. Thanks:)
The fact there are a couple of games very challenging to play if you have a bad eyesight and even with my glasses I'm not spare by headhache, so thank again.
And yet this forum is filled with people clamoring for Android ports of games so they can play on their phone or tablet. I just don't get it.

3.50 star(s) 45 Votes