Leob70

Dec 13, 2017
I'm not going to pretend to be the best at fighting in this style but the combat is far far more frustrating than it has any right to be at the moment. When you compare the combat of the newest chapters to the start it's exceptionally jarring, you can't really get a backstab and the way opponents duck and weave into combat with dodges is impossible for the player to replicate making it actually unfair since being able to bring up your parry in time or making a hit on the enemy without taking full damage is limited by the game itself and extremely iffy, and that's assuming you don't get critical hits on you.

Mram.99

Dec 15, 2017
Hey guys, I was wondering where to find the builder for when you're recruiting the team? I feel like I've searched everywhere.

o0finn0o

Aug 4, 2017
Bug when you enter bandit den right after you were given a gun, after the combat intro its just a back screen.

ss1.PNG

ss2.PNG

Team Cactus

Cactus
Game Developer
Aug 15, 2019
whats up with this ?..mega has 2 of these
This is a known issue, it happens because of exe compression I use. Many games actually have issues with it, like in this . I can't do anything about it.
Here's a scan of the exe, just in case you don't trust me., which is completely fair and understandable.
so i ran the the game and the exe dissapeared after it crashed wtf
Like in the issue above, looks like your antivirus just nommed the exe because it thinks it's scary to compress files. Check your quarantine in Windows Defender panel.

And to address some feedback regarding combat - it's still very raw and unfinished at this state, making a real-time combat system in an engine made for turn-based combat is one hell of a deathwish, so it's all subject to changing, balancing and tweaking. I appreciate the feedback, both positive and negative, future updates will bring changes to make it more enjoyable.

Last edited:

Team Cactus

Cactus
Game Developer
Aug 15, 2019
And to address some more feedback you lads generously provided.
please make it playable with the mouse (allow us to move by clicking with the mouse)
Sadly it's not possible at the moment, because of the way some events are scripted with offsets. Also gamepad controls are currently disabled at all as well, because for some reason they crash the whole game.
No, he's right, there's actually a bug. If you go behind those crates, you're stuck in a dialog loop without being able to move.
Fixed it, I'll make a hotfix a bit later.
Hey guys, I was wondering where to find the builder for when you're recruiting the team? I feel like I've searched everywhere.
Look up in the village, south of your estate.
Bug when you enter bandit den right after you were given a gun, after the combat intro its just a back screen.
Werid issue, I'll look into it, thanks.

Reactions: o0finn0o

Mram.99

Dec 15, 2017

Sadly it's not possible at the moment, because of the way some events are scripted with offsets. Also gamepad controls are currently disabled at all as well, because for some reason they crash the whole game.

Thanks for answering the question, and also this game looks like it has some of potential, I'm definitely gonna be supporting you on Patreon

o0finn0o

Aug 4, 2017

Ive figured it out, When my D-Pad is plugged in, this causes the screen to remain black.

Removing my D-pad fixed it.

Reactions: j-sider

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
Another fun update. I agree with the others commenting on the negative reactions to the twitch combat system. It's the one element that I really didn't like (given that mouse movement control isn't possible). The small screen made some of the infiltration/sneak portions a bit awkward, but that's minor and can't be helped anyway.

The fact that some of the NPCs the MC needed to find were somewhat "off the beaten path" irked me to begin with, but I later realized that they made the game more fun, once the player realized that this was true.

The art style took a while to get used to, but it really grew on me, and it ended up being one of the things I liked most about the game.

Bravo to Team Cactus! This is on my short list to support once Claire's Quest is finished.

Benis_Dude

Sep 17, 2017
So two things, one I believe there is a "typo" in the journal entry regarding the thieves den, saying it is east of the town, while it is in the west, and the new update seems to lag when loading some dialog and when clicking in/out of the game.

Leob70

Dec 13, 2017
Most of the problems with the combat feel like game limitations or quirks like high framerate which may make the enemies more finicky and lower the window you have for reactions but I have yet to test purposefully limiting it, the other problem is how the game itself handles which direction you are facing which can be harder to fiddle with.

It might make the game a bit too easy and you might have to more strongly enforce killing enemies instead of just running past them but I suggest adding a swing animation/windup to enemies attacking preventing the issues of very small amounts of contact potentially leading to you losing half your health and being sufficiently forgiving with the quirks of the engine, an alternative that doesn't allow you to simply run past everyone is to have successful parries stun enemies not only ensuring you get a counter attack in every time reducing frustration but that you do extra damage when you do so.

Reactions: Team Cactus

Team Cactus

Cactus
Game Developer
Aug 15, 2019
same im surprised no one else mentioned it or gave a solution to it yet
I literally gave solution to it a few posts above.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Most of the problems with the combat feel like game limitations or quirks like high framerate which may make the enemies more finicky and lower the window you have for reactions but I have yet to test purposefully limiting it, the other problem is how the game itself handles which direction you are facing which can be harder to fiddle with.

It might make the game a bit too easy and you might have to more strongly enforce killing enemies instead of just running past them but I suggest adding a swing animation/windup to enemies attacking preventing the issues of very small amounts of contact potentially leading to you losing half your health and being sufficiently forgiving with the quirks of the engine, an alternative that doesn't allow you to simply run past everyone is to have successful parries stun enemies not only ensuring you get a counter attack in every time reducing frustration but that you do extra damage when you do so.
Thank you for the feedback, to make the combat more enjoyable so far I removed crit chance from enemy attacks, removed miss chance from MC attacks, disabled enemies dodging you like crazy and currently working on a oneshot backstab feature, but it's not a very easy task to do. Also I'm thinking about increasing the radius of MC attack, so you can hit not only enemies in directly in front of you, giving you a swing on three tiles.

damnmang

Oct 30, 2017
I think the dev is going to have to abandon the idea of the game running as an exe if it's tripping up antivirus programs. Even if it is a false positive I'm not risking my computer for the sake of it. Repackaging the game so it doesn't create a false positive would be great.

4.40 star(s) 7 Votes