Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Many people will not read the rules, not even if in doubt whether something fits their own perception. I think we need to treat that as a given. When they see "abandoned" they will not check what F95 thinks that means, they will give their own interpretation and act on that. Just as people are complaining that game X is "no real harem" because for them that means "all girls are with MC together", game Y is "no real incest" because the relations aren't close enough for their understanding, game Z is "not completed" because an individual ending, that was once planned, has not been implemented. Heck, I am guilty of this myself, in my signature I tell people I like "corruption", but in 90% of the games with the tag I will tell you "that's not what corruption is at all".

And I agree that we cannot change that completely by changing the terminology. However, we might improve on this if we had tags that were intentionally more ambiguous. Somebody suggested "ghosted", I don't know whether jokingly or honestly or desperately, and I though "what a silly idea, a slang term, completely overused, completely underdefined". But maybe that actually would be useful because at least the half sane people wouldn't really know what that means and thus indeed read up on the definitions, whereas they consider "abandoned" as a technical term.

We shouldn't expect though, that it would solve all of the problem. People will read up on it and then forget the "finer points". Other people want to trash talk or overpraise a game and do not want any marmalade stamped on it or will clamor for it because it doesn't meet their definition - whether informed or not. And many people will insist on their definition even against site rules where it is 100% clear that a game meets or doesn't meet the criteria.

So some mitigation would arguably be possible, but a two page necrologue like this would just as arguably still be happening. And that's not even touching the "enforcement and consistency" issues discussed above.

At least that'd be my guess.

The Wicked One

Jul 8, 2017
That's pure conjecture, I believe that if the tag was more accurately labelled that the majority of people would not think that games so tagged are abandoned if the tag didn't say abandoned.
Dude, I love Midlife Crisis, and I wish we could apply a tag that says something, in not as many words: "He's PROBABLY working on an update because this developer disappears often and then comes back with a banger", but there hasn't been a post on Patreon for 3 months, and he hasn't said anything on Discord about the actual production of his game even before that. The last times we heard from him he brought up more family drama in early December, and then a month later complained that he burned his hand on a mower. Sure, the little green light on Discord comes on once in a while, but he is silent.
I want to give Nef, especially because how awesome Midlife Crisis is, the benefit of the doubt and apply a tag that says "inactive", or "silent but working", or "We'll be right back, folks"; however, there hasn't been a word on the actual production of MLC in a quarter of a year.

Last edited:

Mahony

Jun 2, 2017
My point was even if the tag was "marmalade," people would still do 90% of what you guys are complaining about. I personally would like to change the name of the tag, but I'm not the boss here.

You're 100% correct there, there's this weird denial some people on this site do whenever a game gets the abandoned tag where they froth at the mouth at the mere suggestion that the dev abandoned a game (despite how common it is). That will still happen no matter what the term used in the orange box is be it "Abandoned", "Inactive", "No Response", or even fucking "Pineapple"

I don't like talking about other games in these threads but look at Ecchi Sensi it went an literally over a year before those types even started to acknowledge that Blue Cat's probably abandoned his game. People can argue the term all they want at the end of the day the tag is a warning to anyone who hasn't played this yet that this game probably wont be finished and to not put too much time in it, it should have a hard line cut off. A quarter of a fucking year is more than enough.

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
Considering how Nef always updates, in a very own way, there is the possibility that we will get an update some day, since it happened like that more than once. Still there is also the possibility that it really is abandoned.
No matter what we happen this game and dev deserve a special goodbye and here it is:
"My Way" sung by Alfons Hatler (C.M.Herbst), a character from the spoof movie series "Der Wixxer"

Frankbob

Dec 25, 2021
For situations like this where the dev has gone quiet, I think there should be a tag called "Ghosted" or "AFK" or "MIA". Anything but Abandoned as that's too vague and to some degree... terminal in terms of support for some devs.

Also, not everyone has a singular mindset of posting on every site just to keep everyone happy. He's active on Discord and maybe he thinks that should be enough since maybe that's where the majority of his Patreon users hang out for info and whatnot and maybe he thinks "who gives a crap about pirates and what they think he should do to avoid a tag that doesn't make sense".

Just saying.

Except that for at least the last year all his posts start with "Sorry" and then a reason why he couldn't communicate with his supporters.

Pretty much all the talks on discord were about how to better communicate with us. Also you fail to understand that everyone here isn't a pirate, lots of supporters, like myself come here to finds games and devs to support.

I used to support this dev but stopped several months ago because of being jerked around so much on updates and communication.

Husmi

Dec 8, 2021
Considering that so much people knows that this dev is known to disappear and say nothing for long, I don't get why they would support him, instead of supporting a dev that really cares about the game and it's followers, and is responsible enough to show that he cares, because if you can't post every 3 months, I don't care what's going on in your life, it only shows that you don't care enough.

The Wicked One

Jul 8, 2017
Same here. Only thing that worries me is the reason why he was silent this long the last time, just hope he's alright.
The last time he really expounded on anything on Discord (back in early December), he explained that he had some extended family trouble and that they were taking advantage of him. How? Not too sure. Some of us on Patreon and Discord (including the official Discord mod) have reached out privately just to see if he is ok, but no answers, yet. I think anything from here regarding his absence is purely speculative.

The Wicked One

Jul 8, 2017
Considering that so much people knows that this dev is known to disappear and say nothing for long, I don't get why they would support him, instead of supporting a dev that really cares about the game and it's followers, and is responsible enough to show that he cares, because if you can't post every 3 months, I don't care what's going on in your life, it only shows that you don't care enough.
This is just speaking personally and as a long time fan, but he used to be VERY consistent, and I supported him every month at that time because I thought MLC was worth every penny since it is a unique and amazing game... Then the ghosting began a few years back, and I sort of just supported him when an update dropped. Then the ghosting continued, and I stopped all together. And now, and this is just speaking for myself, I am just passed caring whether we'll get another update or whether he'll return. I am a fan, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and I wish him well, but I am not going to give him another dollar until he brings back that consistency he was known for.
I understand the he has gone through shit, hell, we all have, and we all cope with our hobbies and side-hustles in various ways. But it's hard to justify supporting him anymore, whether monetarily on Patreon or emotionally on Discord, especially when he promises one thing (give more progress updates via Patreon) and does another (completely disappears).

Last edited:

Chevy2ss

May 11, 2021
Maybe ; what if ,all speculation, when he post's he post's, if he doesn't he doesn't, so complaining won't help. So thanks for the fun game hope the dev is well maybe we'll see you soon .and a early Happy St Patrick's day to you all, Cheers ;)

4.40 star(s) 188 Votes