JinXXX

Jul 12, 2017
Guys, honestly...

I wrote it on Nergal's games threads (both, many many months ago), I wrote it on Veqvil's LaS thread (many months ago)... therefore I'm quoting myself (once again):

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT LESSON I LEARNED HERE on F95 ZONE forum: whenever an author openly starts talking about his personal issues on Patreon/Discord/his blog his game is DOOMED.

This game is dead. Deal with it and move on to something else.
Exactly. Next, he will have problems with pausing patreon. Either he "forgets" or pauses it too late or something similar. These guys are good with excuses. He will milk to the end.

At leas he didn't go with "I got hacked". "I had mental breakdown" is less embarrassaing.

Reactions: Blitzen

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
He has already made a few games, none as popular as M-City but still pretty good games. Its fine if he needs a break, everyone needs a break sometime.

I dont know if he is solo or not, but if so he should hire a couple people to help him out. Doing all the work yourself is quite the task, he certainly has the funds to have a dev team.

Osirisx69

May 30, 2017
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 224, in script call
call _splashscreen from _call_splashscreen_1
File "game/splash_screen.rpy", line 9, in script
show splash1 with dissolve
Exception: Invalid key specifier hide_windows1

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\Downloads\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 313, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "C:\Users\Downloads\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\main.py", line 513, in main
run(restart)
File "C:\Users\Downloads\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\main.py", line 139, in run
renpy.execution.run_context(True)
File "C:\Users\\Downloads\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\execution.py", line 876, in run_context
context.run()
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 224, in script call
call _splashscreen from _call_splashscreen_1
File "game/splash_screen.rpy", line 9, in script
show splash1 with dissolve
File "C:\Users\\Downloads\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1356, in execute
renpy.exports.with_statement(trans, paired)
File "C:\Users\\Downloads\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1481, in with_statement
return renpy.game.interface.do_with(trans, paired, clear=clear)
File "C:\Users\\Downloads\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2227, in do_with
clear=clear)
File "C:\Users\\Downloads\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2672, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\\Downloads\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3477, in interact_core
rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
File "C:\Users\\Downloads\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 998, in event
rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
File "C:\Users\\Downloads\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 435, in event
if map_event(ev, name):
File "C:\Users\\Downloads\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 221, in map_event
check_code = eval("lambda ev : " + compile_event(keysym, True), globals())
File "C:\Users\\Downloads\Milfy_City-0.5c-pc\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 140, in compile_event
raise Exception("Invalid key specifier %s" % key)
Exception: Invalid key specifier hide_windows1

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.1.3.1092
Milfy City 0.5c
Wed Mar 27 11:35:20 2019

I am sure I did something wrong. Any idea what caused the error?

katmandomo

Feb 10, 2018
can I please get a TL;DR on this new drama
Pretty straightforward. The developer announced that he was burnt out and is taking a couple of months off. Patreon payments are suspended during the vacation. Some people think that he'll never return and this game is actually dead, not just suspended.

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
@jamdan I think he brought on a writer to help before.
There was a debacle with people being unhappy with Caroline talking too much about previous sexual encounters during one of her scenes with the MC. I agree that it's a bit off putting for someone to talk about their exes during sexual activities, but it blew up into people arguing about whether she should have a sexual history at all. It was kind of ridiculous.
The writing was tweaked in a hasty bug fix-like release and the original dialogue was I think attributed to a writer that wasn't ICSTOR.

I assume he does the most work himself and was probably just outsourcing to give himself more space in his schedule or something. I don't know if that writer is a permanent part of his team now or if it was a one off.

sarge87

Apr 27, 2017
@jamdan I think he brought on a writer to help before.
There was a debacle with people being unhappy with Caroline talking too much about previous sexual encounters during one of her scenes with the MC. I agree that it's a bit off putting for someone to talk about their exes during sexual activities, but it blew up into people arguing about whether she should have a sexual history at all. It was kind of ridiculous.
The writing was tweaked in a hasty bug fix-like release and the original dialogue was I think attributed to a writer that wasn't ICSTOR.

I assume he does the most work himself and was probably just outsourcing to give himself more space in his schedule or something. I don't know if that writer is a permanent part of his team now or if it was a one off.
I think @Onyxdime is the main writer and has been for at least the last couple updates. ICSTOR only does the renders and storyboards I think, coding and writing is delegated to separate people respectively.

ElmerFudd

Sep 4, 2017
Despite all the comments about Icstor not working on the current update, and posters saying that "the next update will be coming out in June"
Also his Patreon is not yet on hold either, nor is the game in here.

This from Icstor: "I'm still working on the next version of the game"

Icstor comment.png

JohnJG

Engaged Member
May 17, 2018
I wish you well Icstor.

Take a well earned rest whenever you feel it’s necessary. You earned it for maintaining the high quality of this game. In so many respects.

The figures don’t lie, here and on patreon despite all of the trivial criticisms. :coffee:

Sriya

Mar 14, 2019
Hi. I'm collected 30 to 35 secret cards some cards pickup is not possible. ( Now I Know Where I Found All Secret Cards ) How many times I touched screen but no benefits. And In Game some scenes stuck sometime. Please fixed that bug next update. And I have Doubt This Secret Cards ( I Seen All Collected Cards ) Come To Any Future Benefits Or ...?

Reactions: pefigi

ElmerFudd

Sep 4, 2017
Hi. I'm collected 30 to 35 secret cards some cards pickup is not possible. ( Now I Know Where I Found All Secret Cards ) How many times I touched screen but no benefits. And In Game some scenes stuck sometime. Please fixed that bug next update. And I have Doubt This Secret Cards ( I Seen All Collected Cards ) Come To Any Future Benefits Or ...?
The hidden cards are not "playable" and you get no benefits from them, apart from perving at the quality of Icstor's work and there's no benefit to them as they're renders requested by Patreon supporters and have no bearing on the game at all. I've never had any issues when replaying scenes, or viewing hidden cards, so it's quite possible that the issue lays with your end and has nothing to do with the game itself, apart from being possibly corrupted when downloading/installing the game (?)

Reactions: fried and Hones

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
i don't think many on here accouse him of beeing a lazy or a fraud since like you said yourself he put quality work out in the past and this game is no difference, it is way above 95% of other stuff you will find on here.

I think people fear more that the game will find an abrupt end even when he comes back, getting burned out on a project and takeing a break leads often to to finding new projects that bring more joy in once work.
i don't want to say that this will happen here but i would totally understand if he comes back after his break and puts one other update out and then moves on, no one wants to work on something that pulls them down, that will only lead to a lost in quality and if i judge him right that is something he doesen't want.

But also this site is full of abdoned projects so i understand the feelings of some of the louder posters on here.

i hope he will find new strenght after his break and keeps working on this game, or works on another one.

(also sorry about my english, not a native speaker here)
Perhaps, though ICSTOR hasn't given such indications and is only positive about coming back, it sounds.

MrDots recently took a month break from Melody and Dating My Daughter, then came back with a very good Melody installment and by all previews the next DMD (due this week) looks great, too. I think people should realize that the need to decompress is natural and that holidays - not just for immediate health needs, but also for emotional recalibration and stress reduction - should be considered a natural state of things for all of us.

Since these small shops have few people, we happen to see the impacts of their time off compared to the larger ones, as I mentioned: we should expect this to happen and support it as a way for the Dev teams to stay as fit and motivated as possible, IMHO.

poser707

Nov 5, 2017
Wow, it's sad to hear about another delay.

However, I don't get all the hate that's going on. Icstor is one of the most consistent and reliable devs out there. It's not some guy making Star Wars themed game or something. If anyone can return after a break and successfully finish the game—it's Icstor.

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Game Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
hey, i'm new to that game and the link for the console tutorial is down, where can i find a working one pleaiyse
If you want a quick guide on how to access the console in ren'py games this post should help - Here
for a quick look at using the dev console see the spoiler in this post - Here

Reactions: Walg

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
I mean.. yes and no.
Is he better then the large amount of developers that just keep the cashflow going knowing full well that they are done.... 100% yes... And he has my respect for that decision.

But does that also mean that his loyal pledgers....people who are paying for the development of this project...have no right to be angry or disappointed..... No....

If i payed a couple hundreds buck for a project and the developer suddenly decides to take a break because he lost motivation/energy to go on with the project, they have full right to question that.
I also believe that it's large based on fear because these days we all know full to well what it means when a developer decides to "take a break"... Especially with the history of Icstor.

I also don't believe for 1 second that he didn't take a couple breaks during those 4 years, like i said... I followed the development cycles of multiple games under his wing and am fan of almost all of them, and i followed those years enough that there where enough breaks in development where he didn't do any work. (This is of course 100% personal thoughts and don't have any facts for it, just my own personal observation).
But it just seems that every time around a half way mark of a game he just loses motivation and focus for his current project and loses motivation and starts thinking about new ideas (and that causes even more loss of motivation because now he wants to do that new thing).

But to end on a positive note.
Icstor will not vanish from the face of the earth, i don't believe that for 1 second.
Will this game get another update or 2... Yeah... I do think so yes.

Are we going to get all the things he promised and is this game going to be completed.......
Well, i think that's in the same category as Gumdrop releasing his game this year.... Not likely......
So, here's a great example of what I railed at earlier:

1. You are deciding that ICSTOR has had plenty of opportunities for personal time across the past four years or so of cranking out high-quality games, so implicitly question why he needs some time now.

2. His health needs here don't mean anything to you and supporters should feel justified in being angry or disappointed in a Game Dev taking some time for personal needs, even though ICSTOR has otherwise done a stand-up job demonstrating their commitment to game output (with higher quality) for years. So, no sympathy for their situation required: give us the game installment we want, when we want it and stay critical of any delays.

3. You are filling in your lack of knowledge about his personal life with worst-case accusations about his intentions and/or motivations to get back into this game and spreading FUD about an independent producer of high-quality games for a single break they have quite clearly articulated is needed for reasons which have apparently nothing to do with the game itself.

Did I miss anything here?

3.80 star(s) 404 Votes