fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
I'm also not sure if the people who complain about shitposting include my previous post. It certainly wasn't meant to be. I myself don't think Patrons will be charged next month, but I can see it happening and I can see it being justified. So I was curious to know what others here think.
(I was not referring to your post, FWIW - your questions appear constructive and useful for the community)

Reactions: boxedjack

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I am not a "grammar Nazi" hence the "not to be a..." prefacing the whole thing, and mostly not caring that much about it, so long as it is understandable.

As mentioned on a following comment, irony IS the exception to all that, mostly due to ocular pain. And even then, only when someone adds an H at the beginning.
I wasn't meaning you specifically, but it did remind me of some reviewers (I won't mention names, but they review often) who cite problems with the English grammar in a game while making glaring mistakes throughout their reviews: having awful punctuation, using incorrect homophones (it's instead of its or their instead of they're, for example), and similar amateurish errors. (Using incorrect homophones, btw, is an error in grammar, so the lack of self-awareness is actually a little amusing.)

One of the fairly early lessons native English speakers (and those learning English as a second language) learn covers possessive pronouns. Honestly, I don't think there's any excuse for a native English speaker to make that type of mistake. They can proofread before posting, and if they aren't sure, they can at least look it up. But to call others out arrogantly on their quality of English while making sophomoric mistakes is, frankly, annoying. I try not to criticize others over their mistakes because, as you say, I can tell what they mean. When someone hypocritically points others' errors out while making their own mistakes during such criticism, though, it gets under my skin.

On the bright side of things, the next release of Milfy City should be relatively soon. That should put anyone in a good mood. :D

Last edited:

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I wasn't meaning you specifically, but it did remind me of some reviewers (I won't mention names, but they review often) who cite problems with the English grammar in a game while making glaring mistakes throughout their reviews: having awful punctuation, using incorrect homophones (it's instead of its or their instead of they're, for example), and similar amateurish errors. (Using incorrect homophones, btw, is an error in grammar, so the lack of self-awareness is actually a little amusing.)

One of the fairly early lessons native English speakers (and those learning English as a second language) learn covers possessive pronouns. Honestly, I don't think there's any excuse for a native English speaker to make that type of mistake. They can proofread before posting, and if they aren't sure, they can at least look it up. But to call others out arrogantly on their quality of English while making sophomoric mistakes is, frankly, annoying. I try not to criticize others over their mistakes because, as you say, I can tell what they mean. When someone hypocritically points others' errors out while making their own mistakes during such criticism, though, it gets under my skin.

On the bright side of things, the next release of Milfy City should be relatively soon. That should put anyone in a good mood. :D
To be fair, "it's" vs "its" is odd, because of the contraction vs possessive issue.

My favorite is "your an idiot". My usual response is something like "what about my an idiot?" :ROFLMAO:

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
To be fair, "it's" vs "its" is odd, because of the contraction vs possessive issue.

My favorite is "your an idiot". My usual response is something like "what about my an idiot?" :ROFLMAO:
True, but do any other possessive pronouns (my, your, his, her, our, their) use an apostrophe? Even the made-up flavors of gender avoid apostrophes. I get that it's confusing, but there's always an online dictionary if you are unsure.

Apostrophe indicates something is left out (you're = you are, unfeign'd = unfeigned, o'clock = of the clock, etc.). What would the left-out letter(s) for a possessive pronoun be? FYI, in Middle English, the construction was [Name + Possessive Pronoun], so "This is John his book". Over time that was shortened to "This is John's book".

But enough off-topic discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irgendwie Irgendwo
3.80 star(s) 405 Votes