septacycell

Dec 27, 2017
I wonder if once you proof-read the script to test a Renpy game like this if you can just CTRL/Skip your way through, or if there is a guide a series of written steps to follow and then do it again by mixing them up or what.

N7's Slut

panty sniffer
Donor
Sep 13, 2016
I wonder if once you proof-read the script to test a Renpy game like this if you can just CTRL/Skip your way through, or if there is a guide a series of written steps to follow and then do it again by mixing them up or what.
i think you only have to proof read the new content no need to proof read whats already fine

Zephrah

Jul 26, 2018
i think you only have to proof read the new content no need to proof read whats already fine
I wish someone would proof read the word "glans" from any game script.It sounds awful and nobody uses that IRL.

SoiCowboy

Modder
Jun 13, 2018
Probably. It is definitely one reason. But a dev does not have to set up every variable at the beginning of development. He just can't introduce variables to scenes from previous updates.
For example, if it's going to matter in the future if players got caught in the act by Bob, Icstor had to set a variable for that in the last update not in the update where it is eventually going to matter because by that point players will already have played that scene and the variable would not have been set.

Good news is I think saves were always compatible in Milfy City except one time were the inventory was broken and that got fixed as well.
Thanks for your informative answer. It's people like you that makes reading these threads enjoyable for me. You'll never, ever, catch me saying:

When's the next update. Can I have a save? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: boxedjack

SoiCowboy

Modder
Jun 13, 2018
Especially since it's glands. But I know, joke over head and such.
Definition of glans

1. glans penis : the rounded, highly innervated body forming the extremity of the penis
2. glans clitoris : the conical, highly innervated body forming the external extremity of the clitoris

Because, you know, there's the internet.

Myself101

Feb 4, 2018
Good news is I think saves were always compatible in Milfy City except one time were the inventory was broken and that got fixed as well.
At least in my experience it's quite rare that saves are made incompatible by choice although it did happen recently with Timestamps. But it definitely is something that needs testing and it gets more complicated because not everyone will continue on from a save at the end of the last version (e.g. somebody might not have explored a certain path yet and that one might get screwed up if you purchase a certain item that got introduced in the latest update too soon/too late).

Basically the less linear a game gets the more complex testing might need to become - both to avoid continuity errors (one branch referencing stuff that happens in another branch when the player might not have explored that branch yet) and technical issues (were the game expects certain variables to be set when they are not).

And then (especially with Ren'py Games in my experience) there is the issue of people hacking the save files to e.g. increase money or set certain variables to skip something and that might lead to instances of variable combinations that can't occur in regular gameplay and therefore causing issues that don't come up in testing (I believe the latest release of Midnight City had a patch to take care of such an issue).

Overall - testing can be a bitch and it's not really something where it's easy to predict how much effort will be required.

D-Two

Apr 12, 2018
If you know what you are doing and have had testability in mind since the beginning, then a piece of software like this won't take much more than a day to test properly. Proof reading less than half an hour. The tricky part is handling branches in the story and make sure things stay coherent, which hardly any of these devs pay much attention to.

Testing, bug fixing and then re-testing will of course take longer, but then it's the coding, not the testing that is the bottle neck.

Reactions: SoiCowboy

19o8

Oct 7, 2018
Same for movies or music , that takes 5/10/15 years to be done and you watch/listen to them for 1h30
not true but .. but there is something im still waiting for.. patrick rothfuss is the biggest son of a * ever, waiting for 8 years now for the doors of stone and he is trolling people and saying everytime someone ask about release he skip it 1 week

Aug 5, 2016
Same for movies or music , that takes 5/10/15 years to be done and you watch/listen to them for 1h30
That's not a fair comparison because movies are made by large studios with enormous budgets. These are made by one person usually for way less money, so naturally we should have less patient for them.

Reactions: fried

zitadoxoto

Dec 22, 2018
So I guess we will have to wait until next weekend, because it's not a good business move to launch the game during the week.

3.70 star(s) 406 Votes