Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
true; but if you start counting people that arent together as NTR, then EVERY game is NTR because there are people NOT with the MC, getting laid.
While I don't want to defend the crazy guy here (I love Eileen and think his stance on her is ridiculous), this is a bit of a strawman. No one's said that people who are not LIs getting laid is a problem (except the crazy guy, and I don't care about his opinion).

What people don't want is LIs (or future/potential LIs) who do talk explicitly and in detail about past sexual activity. I forget which game, but there was one where an LI went into graphic sexual detail about past relationships while talking to the MC, which was, shall we say, not appreciated by most players.

For example, my anti-NTR opinions are:
  • I don't want to see an LI or future/potential LI talking about how big her past lovers' cocks were (or anything similar)
  • I don't want to see an LI or future/potential LI talking about how much she likes being fucked by other guys (or anything similar)
  • I don't have any interest in seeing scenes of people having sex unless everyone involved is either the MC or an LI/future LI (not potential; they must be a definite LI or an optional LI) of the MC (there are some anti-NTR fans who don't like it when multiple LIs have sex without the MC; I am not one of them, but they definitely do exist as a significant but not universal portion of pro-harem/anti-NTR people)
Guys other than the MC could be having sex 24 hours a day, but I (and most anti-NTR people) wouldn't care as long as we don't have to see it or be told about it, especially by an LI or future/potential LI. This is why it's so important to clearly delineate between future/potential LIs and women who will never have any interest in the MC.

To expand on that last part: one reason devs generally make non-LI women unattractive is because if they make an attractive woman, someone will ask them to make the woman an LI if she isn't. That can lead to negative situations. For instance, there is a game where one of the first characters the MC interacts with is a pretty woman who is in a relationship already with a guy who the MC is friendly with... But she also immediately flirts with the MC and hints that she's attracted to him. One of the next scenes (and the first lewd scene in the game) is a voyeurism scene where the MC watches the girl and her boyfriend fucking in an alley. The dev expected this to be appreciated 'because it's a sex scene and she's pretty', but there was a lot of pushback that resulted in the dev adding a skip option for that scene, and it's turned a lot of people off of the game anyway, because teasing an LI and then having another guy immediately fuck her as the first lewd scene is really shitty to do for non-NTR games.

is it still NTR if theirs multiple protagonists asking as a new game developer want to get the tags right
Anti-NTR people generally hate multiple protagonist games categorically, almost as much as they hate NTR games. So it's not usually particularly relevant. But the answer is "if more than one protagonist is interested in an LI (and neither the LI nor the game make it clear that the LI is 100% off-limits to all but one of those protagonists), then it may not fit the definition, but anti-NTR people will hate it just as much as if it was straight-up full-on cheating/cucking NTR."

Last edited:

L0key2022

Jan 24, 2022
But the answer is "if more than one protagonist is interested in an LI (and neither the LI nor the game make it clear that the LI is 100% off-limits to all but one of those protagonists), then it may not fit the definition
thanks for the clarification for the visual novel I Am developing i have decided to go with a ton of Female LIs but a single non human MC that possesses different male characters and basically your job is to play lewd matchmaker

Last edited:
Reactions: Trope95 and xapican

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
thanks for the clarification for the visual novel I Am developing i have decided to go with a ton of Female LIs but a single non human MC that possesses different male characters and basically your job is to play lewd matchmaker
Make the game that you want to make, with the story that inspires your imagination to write. Making any game that isn't just phoning in assets is an accomplishment to be proud of.

That said, the setup you've described won't win you any fans who prefer harems (which is a very large proportion of the industry's fanbase). Harem fans want to gain (and/or rescue, save, and/or steal) all their women and keep them.

• Red Heart
Reactions: EJW and Trope95

Trope95

Formerly 'TropecitaGames'
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
While I don't want to defend the crazy guy here (I love Eileen and think his stance on her is ridiculous), this is a bit of a strawman. No one's said that people who are not LIs getting laid is a problem (except the crazy guy, and I don't care about his opinion).

What people don't want is LIs (or future/potential LIs) who do talk explicitly and in detail about past sexual activity. I forget which game, but there was one where an LI went into graphic sexual detail about past relationships while talking to the MC, which was, shall we say, not appreciated by most players.

For example, my anti-NTR opinions are:
  • I don't want to see an LI or future/potential LI talking about how big her past lovers' cocks were (or anything similar)
  • I don't want to see an LI or future/potential LI talking about how much she likes being fucked by other guys (or anything similar)
  • I don't have any interest in seeing scenes of people having sex unless everyone involved is either the MC or an LI/future LI (not potential; they must be a definite LI or an optional LI) of the MC (there are some anti-NTR fans who don't like it when multiple LIs have sex without the MC; I am not one of them, but they definitely do exist as a significant but not universal portion of pro-harem/anti-NTR people)
Guys other than the MC could be having sex 24 hours a day, but I (and most anti-NTR people) wouldn't care as long as we don't have to see it or be told about it, especially by an LI or future/potential LI. This is why it's so important to clearly delineate between future/potential LIs and women who will never have any interest in the MC.

To expand on that last part: one reason devs generally make non-LI women unattractive is because if they make an attractive woman, someone will ask them to make the woman an LI if she isn't. That can lead to negative situations. For instance, there is a game where one of the first characters the MC interacts with is a pretty woman who is in a relationship already with a guy who the MC is friendly with... But she also immediately flirts with the MC and hints that she's attracted to him. One of the next scenes (and the first lewd scene in the game) is a voyeurism scene where the MC watches the girl and her boyfriend fucking in an alley. The dev expected this to be appreciated 'because it's a sex scene and she's pretty', but there was a lot of pushback that resulted in the dev adding a skip option for that scene, and it's turned a lot of people off of the game anyway, because teasing an LI and then having another guy immediately fuck her as the first lewd scene is really shitty to do for non-NTR games.

Anti-NTR people generally hate multiple protagonist games categorically, almost as much as they hate NTR games. So it's not usually particularly relevant. But the answer is "if more than one protagonist is interested in an LI (and neither the LI nor the game make it clear that the LI is 100% off-limits to all but one of those protagonists), then it may not fit the definition, but anti-NTR people will hate it just as much as if it was straight-up full-on cheating/cucking NTR."
As someone who doesn't like NTR I agree with you on many of the things you say.
I especially like your third point. To me it would not be NTR for Erika and Norah to have sex with each other (with the MC's consent/knowledge). It's not going to happen in My Dorm because it wouldn't fit the story, but it wouldn't be NTR from my point of view. Maybe Sharing.

With multiple protagonists you could do some really cool stuff without it falling into the 3 letter category, but the system of updates every X months doesn't lend itself too well to it. At some point you have to cut the update and most likely the LI in some of those cuts will look like it's cheating on one of the protagonists. Publishing finished games would fit more to that genre.

Tying the two themes together, I had the idea that one of the students was dating an Owen Wilson-esque character in Meet the Parents when she arrives at the dorm. The "perfect boyfriend" who shows up from time to time but with whom you never see or hear of any sexual activity. The problem I have with that idea is that there might be people who would take him as NTR-esque before I can even explain his function in the story. Precisely because I can't develop his entire story arc in a single update.

EJW

Jul 13, 2018
As someone who doesn't like NTR I agree with you on many of the things you say.
I especially like your third point. To me it would not be NTR for Erika and Norah to have sex with each other (with the MC's consent/knowledge). It's not going to happen in My Dorm because it wouldn't fit the story, but it wouldn't be NTR from my point of view. Maybe Sharing.

With multiple protagonists you could do some really cool stuff without it falling into the 3 letter category, but the system of updates every X months doesn't lend itself too well to it. At some point you have to cut the update and most likely the LI in some of those cuts will look like it's cheating on one of the protagonists. Publishing finished games would fit more to that genre.

Tying the two themes together, I had the idea that one of the students was dating an Owen Wilson-esque character in Meet the Parents when she arrives at the dorm. The "perfect boyfriend" who shows up from time to time but with whom you never see or hear of any sexual activity. The problem I have with that idea is that there might be people who would take him as NTR-esque before I can even explain his function in the story. Precisely because I can't develop his entire story arc in a single update.
I agree that girl on girl if mc knows and is ok with it is not NTR. But, a lot of players like myself is tired of that "they are in the harem now they are bi or it stay with in the harem it's all good" trope. Harem is a male power fantasy. It takes away from the fantasy if your not the center. I play those types still it just does nothing for me now. There are very few games where the girls are not bi or end up bi at the end. And the Ex-girlfriend talking about past as long as she does not go into details or describe what happened it's fine. The other guy was just a bit to sensitive about it.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Trope95

Trope95

Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
I agree that girl on girl if mc knows and is ok with it is not NTR. But, a lot of players like myself is tired of that "they are in the harem now they are bi or it stay with in the harem it's all good" trope. Harem is a male power fantasy. It takes away from the fantasy if your not the center. I play those types still it just does nothing for me now. There are very few games where the girls are not bi or end up bi at the end. And the Ex-girlfriend talking about past as long as she does not go into details or describe what happened it's fine. The other guy was just a bit to sensitive about it.
For me, using that trope would change the harem into a polyamorous relationship. It's not the same. A harem should be centric to the MC (be it male or female).
X girl isn't becoming bi because her boyfriend is with another girl. It can happen that, if the player allows it not locking the lesbian content, in a possible X-MC-Y threesome X plays with Y in the heat of the moment, but that doesn't mean X and Y will be carpet munching when the MC isn't around. They are in love with the MC not with each other. If that threesome happens again, they may (or may not) play with each other again, but never without the MC.

L0key2022

Jan 24, 2022
Make the game that you want to make, with the story that inspires your imagination to write. Making any game that isn't just phoning in assets is an accomplishment to be proud of.

That said, the setup you've described won't win you any fans who prefer harems (which is a very large proportion of the industry's fanbase). Harem fans want to gain (and/or rescue, save, and/or steal) all their women and keep them.
thanks for the advice I'l take it into consideration and ive already planned a way around that by setting up diffenent character traits so each Li has a certain taste there will be multiple lis for each male character so you just got to figure out who you want to put with who hoping to have around 20 LI and the Mc can possess up to 4 people so theoretically each guy can have a harem of 5

want to thank everyone for their suggestions and support however i dont want to steal the devs spotlight so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions just pls use private message and ill get back to you also gonna look into starting my own thread

Reactions: EJW and Trope95

Trope95

Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
I highly recommend trying Scarlett and Daphne's What if? once you have played the scene that belongs to your playthrough. It will not affect your previous decisions, but it may give you information that is not present in your playthrough. To be able to see them you have to be at least in route with one of them.

Reactions: snakeplisskin

Trope95

Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
TropecitaGames correct me if im wrong, but you can change the MC's name, right? cuz if we can, mine keeps resetting to mark when the game updates
If you played the intro, where you can rename the girls, then the MC name should stick.
Does anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: If you renamed it through other means, (URM, for example) you need to change the variable mc_name along with the variable mc.

4.00 star(s) 101 Votes