RiamMar

One Hand Clapping, Heart of the Keyforge
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
that is great ! wow, that would be one unique feature, thank you for taking your time to answer Riam really I'm pale impressed / erblasst vom eindurck !vom Einduck erblasst !
Sooo, somehow a notification about new posts in this thread sent me a few pages back and there was a Portuguese translation.

On that note: The original plan is to use the "Ren'Py translation thingy" for translating. I've forgotten if the exact details, but I vaguely remember Trop offered to write the script in English first and then translate it to Spanish and me telling him to write the script in Spanish and do the translation to English. This would make the English proofreading easier, since it can be done directly in the translation file etc.

Im still in favor of this approach, but I'm unsure about how this would work together in the merger of part 1 and part 2. With my suggestion of making a final part 1 build and this in mind, I'm already thinking of the remastered part 1 again, that I mentioned a while ago.

I'll have a look at removing the English script and adding it back in with the Ren'Py Translation mechanics. Since there's an emergency part 2 (in case the file size is too big already), the decisions mod is now also UI modded, the import/export seemingly working, I will try to spent the time I wanted to use for this on the translation experiment.

There's still one thing. Those that use the UI mod, might have seen, that the WT part of the game looks a bit more formatted. This is more are "take the old WT and format it here and there and stuff". Since I made this, I made another choice screen for someone else, that uses a different approach for the walkthrough, that would be more beneficial for easier coding on Trops end.
I'll probably work on adding this new WT feature when I get the first part 2 code chunk and talk with trop about how to use the new stuff. After that, I will finish the profile pages and then work on the remastered part 1 for those that want to make a merge.

Edit: This might make old part 1 saves incompatible with the part 1 remastered though, since the remaster wont have any english labels. Though I might have a way to delegate saves from English labels to the (translated) Spanish label. The player would have to replay that label then. I will have to see how this works out.

Last edited:

Domy31

Aug 21, 2022
Hello, The franchies, I discover this game, I have the idea, to make a translation, in French, of this excellent games, or, to help a person, if someone already thinks about it. Contact me.
Excuse my bad English, I do what I can ...
-----
Bonjour, les Franchies, je découvre ce jeux, j'ai dans l'idée, de faire une translation, en français, de cet excellent jeux, ou bien, aider une personne, si quelqu'un y réfléchit déjà. Contactez moi.

Trope95

Formerly 'TropecitaGames'
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
Hello, The franchies, I discover this game, I have the idea, to make a translation, in French, of this excellent games, or, to help a person, if someone already thinks about it. Contact me.
Excuse my bad English, I do what I can ...
-----
Bonjour, les Franchies, je découvre ce jeux, j'ai dans l'idée, de faire une translation, en français, de cet excellent jeux, ou bien, aider une personne, si quelqu'un y réfléchit déjà. Contactez moi.
Thanks for your offer, Domy,
We are just moving from Part 1 to Part 2 right now and, as RiamMar said in the post above yours, we are going into the "Ren'py Translation System" for Part 2 and Riam is studying how to apply it retroactively to Part 1. It would be great to make the translation once this change has been applied since it will be a lot easier to translate it.
My French skills don't allow me to do a translation. If my English is poor, my French is even poorer.

Reactions: Domy31

Domy31

Aug 21, 2022
OK ! I'm going to calm my ardor,
Thank you so much
OK ! je vais calmer mes ardeurs,
Merci beaucoup

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Thanks for your offer, Domy,
We are just moving from Part 1 to Part 2 right now and, as RiamMar said in the post above yours, we are going into the "Ren'py Translation System" for Part 2 and Riam is studying how to apply it retroactively to Part 1. It would be great to make the translation once this change has been applied since it will be a lot easier to translate it.
My French skills don't allow me to do a translation. If my English is poor, my French is even poorer.
As someone who doesn't really understand what's being changed (sounds like you're going to run the original language through an automated translation program for other languages) ... why would you need to re-do the translations already done? And considering how machine translations usually do, wouldn't you still be sending the translations to your native speakers for proofreading and editing anyway?

I'm not saying a translation program is a bad idea, I'm just confused on the need to "start from scratch" with the already finished (?) first part.

Reactions: Trope95

Dragon68549

Sep 2, 2022
For help with English text you might want to try one of the free alternatives to Grammarly. I've also seen some similar things for other languages which might help, haven't tried any out just seen them mentioned in other forums. A few google searches should find you something useful.

master861

Nov 4, 2022
Not 100% sure how the translation of renpy works but as far as i can see it is not automatic, or maybe i am mistaken.I thing summertime sage dit something like that with the translation and i can see on the renpy site ther is translation includet but you need to translate it per hand, or you us us the tool translatoor 3000 is are extra tool for translation for renpy.

Trope95

Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
As someone who doesn't really understand what's being changed (sounds like you're going to run the original language through an automated translation program for other languages) ... why would you need to re-do the translations already done? And considering how machine translations usually do, wouldn't you still be sending the translations to your native speakers for proofreading and editing anyway?

I'm not saying a translation program is a bad idea, I'm just confused on the need to "start from scratch" with the already finished (?) first part.
I misexplained.
The translation to English is already done and I won't redo it or go with machine translation (the "translator" that collaborated in the development in the first release used Google translator (instead of what we agreed about manual translation) and we all remember what a mess it was).

Right now I have two separate scripts, one for English and one for Spanish (0.11BEN and 0.11BES, for example).
Using Ren'py translation features means that I can write a single script (0.11B in Spanish, f.e.) and extract the text, translate the text manually as I do now, send it to the proofreaders, and put the translated text in a single independent file (English_TL). That way, if there is a bug, I only should modify one script file (0.11B) instead of two (0.11BEN and 0.11BES).
It's also easier to add new languages. For example, if Domy does the French translation, s/he only needs to take the English_TL file, rename it to French_TL, and translate it there directly, without code in the way. I can add it to the game by changing a couple of parameters.

For help with English text you might want to try one of the free alternatives to Grammarly. I've also seen some similar things for other languages which might help, haven't tried any out just seen them mentioned in other forums. A few google searches should find you something useful.
I use licensed Grammarly, but it isn't perfect and doesn't notify human mistakes that make sense grammatically but not scene-wise.
For example, I have a problem (vice) while translating in double screen. I read the sentence I should translate, and while typing the translation I am already reading the next sentence (a bad vice). If the second sentence changes PoVs a "he" slips instead of a "she" and things like that. Grammarly doesn't notify those mistakes, because "her dick" or "his labia" are correct in the political ambient today.

Not 100% sure how the translation of renpy works but as far as i can see it is not automatic, or maybe i am mistaken.I thing summertime sage dit something like that with the translation and i can see on the renpy site ther is translation includet but you need to translate it per hand, or you us us the tool translatoor 3000 is are extra tool for translation for renpy.
It's not automatic or machine-translated, you should give Ren'py the translated text (be it by a human, a machine, or complete gibberish. Ren'py doesn't care)

master861

Nov 4, 2022
to the translation you us something like this right?
# game/script.rpy:95
translate piglatin start_636ae3f5:
# e "Thank you for taking a look at the Ren'Py translation framework."
e "" //ther comes the translatet txt from english to spain
# game/script.rpy:99
translate piglatin start_bd1ad9e1:

# e "We aim to provide a comprehensive framework for translating dialogue, strings, images, and styles."
e ""
# game/script.rpy:101
translate piglatin start_9e949aac:
# e "Pretty much everything your game needs!"
e ""
her is the tool i am talking about:

you can us online translation datenbank with that tool
or us this tool
with this two tools its automatic translatet with googel and orther online translations

Last edited:
Reactions: RiamMar

ramvivat

Engaged Member
Jun 28, 2022
I really pity any woman who decides to marry you, knowing that when she hits menopause, or if she has an extremely difficult birth with complications, she will no longer be sexually attractive to you. "Out with the trash you go! I need to find someone younger."
Read my comment №6469, but only the whole. And then, if you want, you can criticize me.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: banuma and Uthuriel

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
to the translation you us something like this right?
# e "Thank you for taking a look at the Ren'Py translation framework."
e "" //ther comes the translatet txt from english to spain

# e "We aim to provide a comprehensive framework for translating dialogue, strings, images, and styles."
e ""
# e "Pretty much everything your game needs!"
e ""
her is the tool i am talking about:

you can us online translation datenbank with that tool
or us this tool
with this two tools its automatic translatet with googel and orther online translations
Yeah, pretty much. At the end it will also add loose strings for choices and variables, iirc. And separate files for menues and stuff.
Currently I removed all English labels in my remastering and it seems to work.
Going to fix some bugs in the mod beta and the recompile the remastered version to add translations.
When that is done, I might have a closer look at the tools but in general, I'm not that big of a fan of mtl. Thanks for the suggestion though.

master861

Nov 4, 2022
yes you can the good at the second tool is you see the scripts in the window and can then change still some stuff if the translation is not correct and save all the files at once

xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
RiamMar ; and TropecitaGames ; yes the structure, how it is at the moment, my lack of knowledge in the programming language, and RenPy structures, plus a (now better) situation IRL(the real reason) , was the reason why I even didn't get started with the German translation, from what I saw the existing German translation, just replaces the Spanish files.(thing what I didn't want to do)
you can ad for manual translation the TL folder when you do one trough the SDK kit, but how it will work with the mod I'm unsure, my Idea was to make a semiautomatic translation, using deepL and Trados suite (strogly suggest DeepL as online translator)
Edit: your doing sighttranslation, or transcript, It is a big part of the training not to do that (vice, you are doing 3 work with that custom) when I'm doing semiautomatic Translations, (Documents, and flyer texts, I do the whole translation, then I pass over, reading and editing, using conceptual, translations ( not applyable in the legal Translation)
Edit: sorry got an interpretation and lost track.

Last edited:

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
I misexplained.
The translation to English is already done and I won't redo it or go with machine translation (the "translator" that collaborated in the development in the first release used Google translator (instead of what we agreed about manual translation) and we all remember what a mess it was).

Right now I have two separate scripts, one for English and one for Spanish (0.11BEN and 0.11BES, for example).
Using Ren'py translation features means that I can write a single script (0.11B in Spanish, f.e.) and extract the text, translate the text manually as I do now, send it to the proofreaders, and put the translated text in a single independent file (English_TL). That way, if there is a bug, I only should modify one script file (0.11B) instead of two (0.11BEN and 0.11BES).
It's also easier to add new languages. For example, if Domy does the French translation, s/he only needs to take the English_TL file, rename it to French_TL, and translate it there directly, without code in the way. I can add it to the game by changing a couple of parameters.
Okay, think I get it. Last question just to personally clarify for my curiosity: So the file 0.11BES would be the full renpy file, with all the lines of code including dialogue in Spanish. Then the English_TL would just be all the lines of dialogue, and as long as they're in the exact order they appear in the code, they replace the Spanish lines, yes?

Yea, that sounds fantastically better than searching through a full block of code for all the dialogue that needs swapping.

Trope95

Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
Okay, think I get it. Last question just to personally clarify for my curiosity: So the file 0.11BES would be the full renpy file, with all the lines of code including dialogue in Spanish. Then the English_TL would just be all the lines of dialogue, and as long as they're in the exact order they appear in the code, they replace the Spanish lines, yes?

Yea, that sounds fantastically better than searching through a full block of code for all the dialogue that needs swapping.
More or less. The file with all the code and the Spanish text will be 0.11B (I'll drop the ES because it's not needed now since there isn't a EN version)
The English_TL will have this format
Python:
# e "Texto en Español/Spanish text for line 95 in 0.11B"
e "English text for line 95" 

# e "Texto en Español/Spanish Text for line 99 in 0.11B"
e "English text for line 99"
# e "Texto en Español/Spanish Text for line 101 in 0.11B"
e "English text for line 101"
And so on.
All the orange lines can be technically deleted since the # symbol comments it and they don't execute, but they usually are left there for comparison purposes.

My usual work method for translation until now is:
a.- Once I have the first scene ready in Spanish, after testing it, I copy 011BES to 011BEN
b.- I translate the text there (the code is also copied in step a.)
c.- When I have a new scene ready in Spanish, after testing it, I copy that scene code block from 011BES to 011BEN
d.- Translate the new text added in the new code block
e.- When all is ready, I export to Word the whole English dialogue, proofread it, send it to the proofreaders and manually copy their corrections to the original file.

The new work method will be:
a.- Export the dialogue to create translations
b.- Translate directly in the file created by Ren'py
c.- Send the English_TL file to the proofreaders

As you see the translation and proofread process is much more streamlined with the new system.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
More or less. The file with all the code and the Spanish text will be 0.11B (I'll drop the ES because it's not needed now since there isn't a EN version)
The English_TL will have this format
Python:
# e "Texto en Español/Spanish text for line 95 in 0.11B"
e "English text for line 95"

# e "Texto en Español/Spanish Text for line 99 in 0.11B"
e "English text for line 99"
# e "Texto en Español/Spanish Text for line 101 in 0.11B"
e "English text for line 101"
And so on.
All the orange lines can be technically deleted since the # symbol comments it and they don't execute, but they usually are left there for comparison purposes.

My usual work method for translation until now is:
a.- Once I have the first scene ready in Spanish, after testing it, I copy 011BES to 011BEN
b.- I translate the text there (the code is also copied in step a.)
c.- When I have a new scene ready in Spanish, after testing it, I copy that scene code block from 011BES to 011BEN
d.- Translate the new text added in the new code block
e.- When all is ready, I export to Word the whole English dialogue, proofread it, send it to the proofreaders and manually copy their corrections to the original file.

The new work method will be:
a.- Export the dialogue to create translations
b.- Translate directly in the file created by Ren'py
c.- Send the English_TL file to the proofreaders

As you see the translation and proofread process is much more streamlined with the new system.
Ahh ... so renpy actually creates the stripped file for you. Cool.

I don't know why, but my favorite part of this is that the translation protocol is called piglatin.

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
RiamMar ; and TropecitaGames ; yes the structure, how it is at the moment, my lack of knowledge in the programming language, and RenPy structures, plus a (now better) situation IRL(the real reason) , was the reason why I even didn't get started with the German translation, from what I saw the existing German translation, just replaces the Spanish files.
you can ad for manual translation the TL folder when you do one trough the SDK kit, but how it will work with the mod I'm unsure, my Idea was to make a semiautomatic translation, using deepL and Trados suite (strogly suggest DeepL as online translator)
I have the Ren'Py translation working on my remastered branch. Am currently removing my "stupid" translation and fixing the "variable not defined" stuff through the missing translations, where it sill tries to shortcut the variables.
I'm already working a few hours on it, so I don't know if I get a fully working part 1 done today and then it's basically a Spanish build and I have to re-add the English through the tl files.
When looking at the # of lines of dialogue, I'm like "Ähhhhh, nich heute" ("Errr, not today"). But in a day or two I might have copy and pasta-ed the lines over? At least for the first few chapters, so I could hand out the english translation files, where you guys could translate the english translation to German, French, Brazilian Portuguese and what not.

Me right now:

Trope95

Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
I have the Ren'Py translation working on my remastered branch. Am currently removing my "stupid" translation and fixing the "variable not defined" stuff through the missing translations, where it sill tries to shortcut the variables.
I'm already working a few hours on it, so I don't know if I get a fully working part 1 done today and then it's basically a Spanish build and I have to re-add the English through the tl files.
When looking at the # of lines of dialogue, I'm like "Ähhhhh, nich heute" ("Errr, not today"). But in a day or two I might have copy and pasta-ed the lines over? At least for the first few chapters, so I could hand out the english translation files, where you guys could translate the english translation to German, French, Brazilian Portuguese and what not.

Me right now:
Don't be lazy :ROFLMAO: ! If you are doing it with 0.11B (don't do it with 0.12, please, it will be published today for subscribers), it's only 20.118 dialogue lines!
(Edited to add the emoji after "lazy")

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
Don't be lazy :ROFLMAO: ! If you are doing it with 0.11B (don't do it with 0.12, please, it will be published today for subscribers), it's only 20.118 dialogue lines!
(Edited to add the emoji after "lazy")
I know that I'm not having the final v0.12 yet! :p

• Haha

Trope95

Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
I know that I'm not having the final v0.12 yet! :p
I'm uploading it right now (Windows first, to be able to send it to you).
It lacks one of the native proofreaders' corrections for the last two scenes, but RL is a bitch.
It has all of the other proofreader's corrections.

4.00 star(s) 101 Votes