BadAngelDev

Game Developer
Jul 1, 2020
Using android port
Ok, I probably won't go tracing down this bug if it's isolated to Android. I don't have an Android device to test the game, which makes troubleshooting quite difficult :p But I hope you were able to hit ignore on the error and progress the game!

Aug 8, 2019
Hey man I jus started playing this game an I like it so far However the lack of BGM takes away from the immersion of the game like watching an action movie on Mute. That's my only issue so far but like I said I literally just started playing ( jus went to Infirmary to visit Destiny lol)

The ArcKnight

Nylon enthusiast, Harem enjoyer.
Donor
May 19, 2018
I just started playing and wow, MC certainly gives up on his wife real quick. Within 5mins of him finding out she's missing he takes off his wedding ring and says he's got to be there for the other girls now? Dude, she has been missing for under an hour?! Any husband would be out there kicking down doors and shooting "Fallen" til he had proof she was gone.

I mean, I'm all about the harem life, but maybe space this section out a bit, let him grieve, so MC doesn't seem like a cold hearted psychopath?

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
I just started playing and wow, MC certainly gives up on his wife real quick. Within 5mins of him finding out she's missing he takes off his wedding ring and says he's got to be there for the other girls now? Dude, she has been missing for under an hour?! Any husband would be out there kicking down doors and shooting "Fallen" til he had proof she was gone.

I mean, I'm all about the harem life, but maybe space this section out a bit, let him grieve, so MC doesn't seem like a cold hearted psychopath?
Nah no reason to "space" it. Dev could just add a couple of lines of dialogue that states he kicked down doors... etc. There is no reason to waste resources and time not to mention going backwards to show it. Imo

Paroxetin

Jan 16, 2019
Hey - liked the game a lot so far - just one question:
I cannot seem to find the way to explore the Industrial Park (Hint: Explore the Industrial Lofts in the Industrial Park).

Maybe it is something obvious I am missing ...?

BadAngelDev

Game Developer
Jul 1, 2020
Ummm.... I thought the night 5 error had been fixed, yes, no, maybe?

View attachment 1024541
Sorry it's just a pic but I'm too poor to have real Internet so I gotta use my phone lol :p
I unfortunately can't see the photo you attached, but I just tested all 3 OS versions and I believe the night 5 bug is resolved. If you downloaded the game more than 24 hours ago (at the time of this post) it will have the bug, but the current downloads should be fixed.

Aug 8, 2019
I unfortunately can't see the photo you attached, but I just tested all 3 OS versions and I believe the night 5 bug is resolved. If you downloaded the game more than 24 hours ago (at the time of this post) it will have the bug, but the current downloads should be fixed.
Well that explains that I had to use my cell and its prepaid so after a certain amount of hi-speed data it slows down ALOT and more than 24hrs. Ago is I think when I started the download lol. Sorry about the unnecessary post loving the game sofar jus the minor no BGM or SFX thing that bugs me a bit but I love fallout 4 style games like this or any open world/sandbox game for that matter :p
Keep up the gr8 work!!!

BadAngelDev

Game Developer
Jul 1, 2020

I think you make a very valid point. And if MFA was a primarily narrative-driven (like a visual novel), I'd agree that spacing this out would be better. But there are a few reasons why I chose to make this "grieving" section short.

Gameplay - My aim is for MFA to be a mechanics-driven game where managing your resources and girls is the focus of the game. And while I hope the resource management is interesting, developing relationships with the girls is the core of MFA. I personally don't like when adult games take their time to get to core gameplay, so I wanted to let players get to the fun stuff quickly.

Development Resources - As Spfjolietjake noted, part of this decision comes down to where I invest my development time. I can invest more time into spacing out the game's intro, or I can add more characters, scenes, and mechanics. I'm not saying developers always make the right choices, haha, but I do have to invest my time into where I think the content is most useful.

Narrative - The MC is not meant to be cold hearted. And I hope I've been able to portray him as well-intentioned oeverall throughout MFA. You're right it doesn't make much sense for him to move past grieving for his wife in less a week. It also doesn't doesn't make sense for 9 women to fall desperately in love with one guy in a couple months. In Act 1, it's hinted that the Fallen infection is affecting the MC's and Angels' mindset/choices. This will be expanded upon in Act 3 (really it will be the narrative focus of Act 3).

But anyways, I appreciate you pointing this out! Like I said, you make a very good point, and there was actually quite a few changes between MFA-0.1.0 and MFA-0.1.1 to address this exact concern. Just wanted to share my thoughts and decisions behind the scenes :)

BadAngelDev

Game Developer
Jul 1, 2020
Well that explains that I had to use my cell and its prepaid so after a certain amount of hi-speed data it slows down ALOT and more than 24hrs. Ago is I think when I started the download lol. Sorry about the unnecessary post loving the game sofar jus the minor no BGM or SFX thing that bugs me a bit but I love fallout 4 style games like this or any open world/sandbox game for that matter :p
Keep up the gr8 work!!!
Oh man, I'd hate for you to have to redownload the game for this fix in that case, haha. You can fix the issue with the following suggestion from docclox: (Editing the script.rpy file in game folder)

Replace the line at 4201 with this and the error goes away

Code:
            try:
                rendered_sex_scene_automatic_func(night_rss_selected)
            except(NameError):
                pass

Reactions: cumminsshakesit

BadAngelDev

Game Developer
Jul 1, 2020
Hey - liked the game a lot so far - just one question:
I cannot seem to find the way to explore the Industrial Park (Hint: Explore the Industrial Lofts in the Industrial Park).

Maybe it is something obvious I am missing ...?
If you're at this point, I assume you just completed the ATVs Base Upgrade. When you assign girls to the Away Group and progress time in the day, you should now get an option to select "City Suburbs" or "Industrial Park" to send the girls to. Just make sure girls are assigned to the Away Group and it should work. If you still have problems, I'll look into the bug and post a console command that will fix the issue.

awex

Oct 3, 2017
Appreciate the comment. I've been curious why MFA behaves differently to most Ren'py games in this regard. This is my first project in Ren'py and some things (like this) show my inexperience, haha! I'll look into altering my functions vs labels approach in future updates.
You need to build the game flow using labels and statements. You can still use functions but they need to return before each user interaction.

If this is your first Ren'py game you really should start by building it how they recommend and expand from there. Read all the documentation.
There are a lot of powerful features for building complex games (not all of them well explained).

Another specific example.
It's weird that you have reinvented the "say" screen, but worse, instead of modifying the existing screens for your use.
I would recommend using the existing Character class and modifying the "say" screen, but if you really want to do your own thing there are ways to improve it.

You can write your labels like this:
Code:
label test_label:
  "narrator says something"
  "narrator says something full screen" (full=True)
  some_char "npc says something"
And I believe it is equivalent to:
Code:
label test_label:
  $ character.narrator("narrator says something", interact=True)
  $ character.narrator("narrator says something full screen", interact=True, full=True)
  $ character.some_char("npc says something", interact=True)
so you can define functions on the character store that then shows the relevant screens. e.g.
Code:
init python:
    def character_narrator_say(what, interact=True, full=False):
        renpy.show_screen("say_narrator", "full" if full else "partial", what)

define character.narrator = character_narrator_say
This will let you write your actual game logic in a clear, easy to read form, but with the same complex behavior behind it.

4.00 star(s) 46 Votes