rahkshi01

Dec 31, 2018
look just because a brother/sister father/daughter mother/son have sex get pregnant theres no proof that it will result in a defective child ... actually most time it does not ... don't put faith in everything you read .. or we're all dead already but don't know it yet
This is actually very true. As someone who studied genetics I actually can confirm that this is very true and the whole defects thing is in fact myth. I remember there was a big assignment one year where we dealt with this same topic. After going through the different variations and possibilities (not going to bore you with the science), we found that the chances of defects occurring were no higher than those of parents who were not related. Believe me it caused quite a shock and stir in the class.

We then had to do research on where the so called evidence for birth defects came from and found that they were formed from myths and those that in fact had defects were from parents that already had a pre-existing deformity or condition. We then calculated the chances again of these actual documented deformities from those born from incest and those not and found the chances to be almost exactly the same.

So this whole argument that it causes higher chances of defects just doesn't hold. It is more of a mental thing, what has been passed on as fact but is instead rumour. The automatic thing these days might be to say oh it will cause defects but the actual hard evidence says otherwise. If you wish to think differently go ahead, you are free to do so, but I have to follow the evidence and data and they tell me otherwise.

TundraLupus

Apr 8, 2020
This is actually very true. As someone who studied genetics I actually can confirm that this is very true and the whole defects thing is in fact myth. I remember there was a big assignment one year where we dealt with this same topic. After going through the different variations and possibilities (not going to bore you with the science), we found that the chances of defects occurring were no higher than those of parents who were not related. Believe me it caused quite a shock and stir in the class.

We then had to do research on where the so called evidence for birth defects came from and found that they were formed from myths and those that in fact had defects were from parents that already had a pre-existing deformity or condition. We then calculated the chances again of these actual documented deformities from those born from incest and those not and found the chances to be almost exactly the same.

So this whole argument that it causes higher chances of defects just doesn't hold. It is more of a mental thing, what has been passed on as fact but is instead rumour. The automatic thing these days might be to say oh it will cause defects but the actual hard evidence says otherwise.
Can you send a link to your research on a PM? I'm very interested in actually reading, if not your own then another that corroborate your findings, and any other peer-reviewed one.

Edit: I normally would agree by default, since I know that third world country education in biology is probably outdated, but I would still like to actually read the research myself and whatever other evidence you have, preferably peer-reviewed ones.

Edit 2: I went looking for information on this, and in fact, you are correct if you mean incest between half-siblings and cousins(about 7% when in non-related people is 5% if they have the same recessive gene.), but wrong when it comes to parent-child and "full" brothers and sisters(about 50%), you would be correct in affirming that it doesn't randomly increase the chances of a defect, but in those so closely related it does increase the chances of a recessive gene to be passed and such defect "appearing" this tends to happen because of the thining of the genetic pool and the more you do it the more chance you have of passing down a negative evolutionary trait to the children, at least that is what I found so far, as I said I would love to see your research or others that corroborate what you said.

Last edited:

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019

So this whole argument that it causes higher chances of defects just doesn't hold. It is more of a mental thing, what has been passed on as fact but is instead rumour. The automatic thing these days might be to say oh it will cause defects but the actual hard evidence says otherwise. If you wish to think otherwise you are free to do so, but I have to follow the evidence and data.
thats exactally what i did way back in high school .... in biology class well after the frogs ... lol .. but seriously - we came to pretty much those same conclusions

iolkj

Nov 30, 2019
rahkshi01: Could you enlighten me on where I am wrong? I did not study genetics, but I thought I had solid understanding of the basics and I find the following argument convincing (and it also agrees with what tundralupus stated):
Premise 1: Alleles with genetic information that results in significant health issues are typically recessive, because if they were dominant, they could not spread widely because of the disadvantage that all its carriers have reproducing.
Premise 2: These alleles are also relative rare because if they were very widespread, the chance of the healt issue being realized would be high even for recessive alleles.
Argument: If a (heterozygous) carrier A of the respective allele has a child B, it will be a (heterozygous) carrier itself with chance ~50% (as the chance of A's partner also being a carrier is small by premise 2).
If the child B now has children with a random partner, they would be heterozygous carriers with chance ~25% (again, by premise 2, the random partner is unlikely to be another carrier) and homozygous carriers with very low chance (50% chance that B even is a carrier * low chance of B's partner being a (heterozygous) carrier * 25% chance that the offspring of two heterozygous carriers is homozygous with that allele).
If however, A has children with B, the chance of them being homozygous carriers is ~12.5% (50% chance that B is a carrier * 100% chance that A is a carrier * 25% chance that the offspring of two heterozygous carriers is homozygous with that allele).

Reactions: TundraLupus

TundraLupus

Apr 8, 2020
rahkshi01: Could you enlighten me on where I am wrong? I did not study genetics, but I thought I had solid understanding of the basics and I find the following argument convincing (and it also agrees with what tundralupus stated):
Premise 1: Alleles with genetic information that results in significant health issues are typically recessive, because if they were dominant, they could not spread widely because of the disadvantage that all its carriers have reproducing.
Premise 2: These alleles are also relative rare because if they were very widespread, the chance of the healt issue being realized would be high even for recessive alleles.
Argument: If a (heterozygous) carrier A of the respective allele has a child B, it will be a (heterozygous) carrier itself with chance ~50% (as the chance of A's partner also being a carrier is small by premise 2).
If the child B now has children with a random partner, they would be heterozygous carriers with chance ~25% (again, by premise 2, the random partner is unlikely to be another carrier) and homozygous carriers with very low chance (50% chance that B even is a carrier * low chance of B's partner being a (heterozygous) carrier * 25% chance that the offspring of two heterozygous carriers is homozygous with that allele).
If however, A has children with B, the chance of them being homozygous carriers is ~12.5% (50% chance that B is a carrier * 100% chance that A is a carrier * 25% chance that the offspring of two heterozygous carriers is homozygous with that allele).
And to think that I thought it would be cool to have an in-universe explanation as to why the children would be healthy, how did this explode so out of proportion? Also still waiting on the study mentioned.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
How do you think I feel? I posted a list of who exists in the game and a joke on needing to fund a town. Then boom genetics debate.

However I am probably on your side Tundraplus, I do like my stories to have consistent rules. It is what helps for suspension of disbelief when everything makes sense together.

Like the offspring of Lucy/MC will they be more cat like? Is that cat that comes to visit a future relative of MC come back in time?

• Haha
Reactions: TundraLupus

TundraLupus

Apr 8, 2020
How do you think I feel? I posted a list of who exists in the game and a joke on needing to fund a town. Then boom genetics debate.

However I am probably on your side Tundraplus, I do like my stories to have consistent rules. It is what helps for suspension of disbelief when everything makes sense together.

Like the offspring of Lucy/MC will they be more cat like? Is this that cat that comes to visit a future relative of MC come back in time?
I was gonna just give it a like but that ending got to me.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
I am figuring some weird Pop Idol sensation of Neko sister girl group sweeps the world by storm. A few centuries later somehow there are centaurs and minotaurs, all originally related to MC and Lucy. She is now known as Echidna and furrys the world over rejoice.

Killer7

My New Family / My New Memories
Donor
Game Developer
May 14, 2019
I don't know why you talk genetics so much, they are just roomates after all! ( :Kappa: )

But in all seriousness, I want this to stay wholesome and not get too specific on why it is okay for all of them to have tennants with the MC. While Lucy might look into it why it will be ok, I'm not planning to give any of the tennants birth defects or anything, especially not after what Lucy had to endure since she was born. And who knows, if Lucy and MC get tennants and one of the little girls has cat features she will probably be okay with it after all this time :).

TundraLupus

Apr 8, 2020
I don't know why you talk genetics so much, they are just roomates after all! ( :Kappa: )

But in all seriousness, I want this to stay wholesome and not get too specific on why it is okay for all of them to have tennants with the MC. While Lucy might look into it why it will be ok, I'm not planning to give any of the tennants birth defects or anything, especially not after what Lucy had to endure since she was born. And who knows, if Lucy and MC get tennants and one of the little girls has cat features she will probably be okay with it after all this time :).
So, God has said no defects, and so it was, thanks for entertaining us, and sorry, I really didn't intend for things to go like that when I made my original comment.

3.90 star(s) 250 Votes