VN Ren'Py No More Money [v3.5.1 S3 Ep.5 GE] [RoyalCandy]

4.20 star(s) 156 Votes

endoscopic

Oct 7, 2018
Here they can rant. On the devs discord or Patreon channel they might be banned :p

Dude, if anyone who complains to dev and he/she bans you, unsubscribe and stop playing the game
But if you're still unhappy or perhaps feels the need to warn others as mentioned, you can start a whole new thread for ranting.

Right, except that's not really true, this game doesn't really have branching paths.

The two different jobs amount to a few lines of flavor text where you are more rude while talking and maybe a couple more renders, i doubt that costs him more than a few minutes per update.

The paths with the girls are basically yes/no switches on whether you see the scene or not so again it doesn't really add more work other than the side girls existing in the first place and taking away development time.

If we were to tally up the renders and how long the update took we would clearly see a nosedive in productivity in the last year or so but that's not to say he got lazy or something like that, the culprit is obviously the fact that he went overboard with the animations, he acknowledged it himself and you can see it in the weekly reports that are basically all the same thing, "this week i worked on animations", "this week i also worked on animations", etc...

If it was up to me i would would vote to drastically cut the number of animations and go back to reasonable update times but i know a lot of people are obsesses with them for reasons i don't really understand
Every new character introduced is considered a new branch, because you have to create a whole set of variables for them and then different variables for each other character in relation to that character. If anyone feels this game has no branches you should go look at the coding and renders. For example, Lauren and Lisa are 2 different branches and with two sets of rendering, writing and variables.

His productivity on total of still renders dropped yes, but as there is much more animations going on it means reduced still images but more moving images, so overall productivity is not necessarily lower. Concluding based on that alone is like saying
Mc Donalds is less productive cos during a holiday season the no of Filet of Fish produced during that period is less than previously as they decided to produce more beef burgers as a festive season promo.

Good input anyway about the animations, im not necessarily in total agreement because some have been amazing and it is the devs vision for his game but i do see your point.
Highly suggest, do please subscribe to dev and then propose this to him to get the vote going then it will be up to you, and other subscribers if that's how the majority feels is way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrusherKev

Lorenz1

Nov 1, 2017
I remind you that the last episode, if count together (as they are supposed to be halves), took longer to develop than any of the being a dik episodes.

Jan 27, 2018
Good input anyway about the animations, im not necessarily in total agreement because some have been amazing and it is the devs vision for his game but i do see your point.
Highly suggest, do please subscribe to dev and then propose this to him to get the vote going then it will be up to you, and other subscribers if that's the majority feels is way to go.
Sure, the animations are surprisingly good, i just don't think they are worth 3x the development time.
I am subscribed, have been for over 2 years

Reactions: endoscopic

endoscopic

Oct 7, 2018
I remind you that the last episode, if count together (as they are supposed to be halves), took longer to develop than any of the being a dik episodes.
Any of the BADIK episode you say?

Ep 7 was released 23rd Apr 2021
Ep 8 (19 Nov 2021) + Interlude (4 Mar 2022) took 10 months, 10 days ( 6 months, 28 days + 3 months, 13 days )
Ep 9 (16 Dec 2022) took 9 months, 12 days
Ep 10 is still in prog, thats 10 mths and counting

NMM S3 Ep 1 released 7 Nov 2022
Ep 2 18 Feb 2023 took 3 months, 12 days
Ep 3 30 June 2023 took 4 months, 13 days
Ep 4 1 Nov 2023 4 months, 3 days

So even if you consider Ep3 and 4 as one, its total 8 months 16 days

1698852927878.png
Talking out of the arse is strong with this one

Lorenz1

Nov 1, 2017
Talking out of the arse is strong with this one
So... you just confirmed that the last episode has bigger development time than any of the BDIK episodes other than two latest? Congratulations, I guess. Now compare the content.

Besides, the difference between 8 months 16 days and 9 months 12 days is neglectible.

• Angry
Reactions: tslojr

royalcandy

No More Secrets
Game Developer
Jun 8, 2018
If we are comparing my game to BeingADik, then compare the number of patrons and earnings as well... You can't expect me to do as good of a job as someone who earns 20 times more money than me and can afford much better gear. I loose a lot of time just because I'm limited by the gear. It takes me around 5 minutes to load up a scene. Then maybe I have to wait like 2 minutes for each scene I make just to be sure it looks good and if it doesn't I need to fix it and then do the same thing again. Let's not talk about posing, which is another mess.
Then on the animation side I loose half of the time doing test renders so I can import them in premiere to see if the animation is looking good because my machines are not powerful enough to replay the animations in real time and I need to do this at least 10-15 times for each animations. So I'm loosing maybe 4-6 hours for each animation.
So yeah. I'm not the fastest developer around, but you can't really compare me to someone who has +25k patrons and earns between 50k and 100k/month, maybe even more.

Last edited:

Lorenz1

Nov 1, 2017
If we are comparing my game to BeingADik, then compare the number of patrons and earnings as well... You can't expect me to do as good of a job as someone who earns 20 times more money than me. I
True enough, I apologise if I sounded too harsh. However, if we do compare, BDIK didn't bring x20 earnings of yours at the time of the first 3 episodes, which took about 3-4 months each.

Though, to be fair we should probably compare to Acting Lessons (release time is still a lot better).

Anyhow, a singe full episode in 8.5 months is too much. In my opinion. I won't usub from patreon for now, but I hope the next episode will come quicker. Otherwise, we are at 1 episode a year.

• Angry
Reactions: acondo and tslojr

royalcandy

No More Secrets
Game Developer
Jun 8, 2018
True enough, I apologise if I sounded too harsh. However, if we do compare, BDIK didn't bring x20 earnings of yours at the time of the first 3 episodes, which took about 3-4 months each.

Though, to be fair we should probably compare to Acting Lessons (release time is still a lot better).

Anyhow, a singe full episode in 8.5 months is too much. In my opinion. I won't usub from patreon for now, but I hope the next episode will come quicker. Otherwise, we are at 1 episode a year.
That's right. 8.5 months was really bad. I don't have any excuse for it. I messed things up and I don't understand how, because I've worked at least 10 hours/day. And last three weeks I was working 12-16 hours/day. So I can't really understand what I did wrong with these last two updates. I should have easily made them in 3-4 months, yet somehow it took me 8.5 months. The animations were the main reason to drag me down this much, so I'm trying to find a better way to do animations.
As for the next episode I'll try to make it up to everybody.

EvilUser

Game Developer
Mar 29, 2018
That's right. 8.5 months was really bad. I don't have any excuse for it. I messed things up and I don't understand how, because I've worked at least 10 hours/day. And last three weeks I was working 12-16 hours/day. So I can't really understand what I did wrong with these last two updates. I should have easily made them in 3-4 months, yet somehow it took me 8.5 months. The animations were the main reason to drag me down this much, so I'm trying to find a better way to do animations.
As dev to dev, you're getting better and spend more and more time on every render to make it perfect.

Lorenz1

Nov 1, 2017
The animations were the main reason to drag me down this much, so I'm trying to find a better way to do animations.
No worries, honest and open communication is the key.

Regarding "what went wrong" - make a test, set yourself a limit for the number of animations (from what you estimate you can make in 3-4 months), and then make only that - the rest is static renders. It will force you to be really stingy when writing the episode.

The issue starts at the writing stage, I think. Your mind assumes "I can make as many animations as I want", but hardware says no, and you already have a written script with too many animations in it. If you from before even writing the script know that your PC can produce only 5 animations, and only that - only those animations that really must be included will pass the cut.

Objective capacity of the production first, creative vision second. End result might be not as good as it could have been, but it will be and it will be on time.

If this won't help, then the issue is not in animations. If it will - great, the game is back on schedule.

4.20 star(s) 156 Votes