combige

Jun 30, 2017
Played 0.08 after 0.06. Everything is worked ok despite of strange moment with sounds: I had a save on bj scene, loaded in new version but the sucking sound stayed in the next chapter even if I saved and loaded again. I solved it by rewinding back (with mouse wheel) to before the scene and then rapidly through it to prevent the sound from loading.
Anyway, the author's style is here as always, pretty nice feeling playing through. Thanks!

Last edited:

kameohawk

Dec 16, 2017
Lads, can I ask a quick question. Played through the first part of this game and it's bleak as hell. Now that's not a bad thing, it's actually refreshing to see someone try something a bit different. But going forward does it retain that level or are there more upshoots? I get the environment the game's set in will mean there's little hope of jolly jolly fun time but I'm just wondering if there's more to the game than something like bleak scene/bleak scene/ bleak scene/ sex scene / bleak scene etc.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
Lads, can I ask a quick question. Played through the first part of this game and it's bleak as hell. Now that's not a bad thing, it's actually refreshing to see someone try something a bit different. But going forward does it retain that level or are there more upshoots? I get the environment the game's set in will mean there's little hope of jolly jolly fun time but I'm just wondering if there's more to the game than something like bleak scene/bleak scene/ bleak scene/ sex scene / bleak scene etc.
There are some happy moments but so far the game does not lose the bleak atmosphere. The zombies are always present to remind the characters of how their world is now.

Kinderfeld

Developer of Now & Then and The Interim Domain
Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
So... not sure if this is the right place to do it, or if going about it in this forum would be the best, but since Kinderfeld does read this forum, I figure I'd probably try to mention my only criticism so far of the game:

I personally think there's something a bit off with some parts of the sexy scenes that kind of makes the enjoyment of them a little smidge sub optimal. (As in, they wouldn't be the ones I go through again and again to fap to. They're enjoyable the first time around, but there feels like there's some small magic/refinement missing that separates it from the games where you can replay it almost every month or every few weeks to enjoy the small nuances in the scenes on those.)

I haven't exactly or entirely put my finger on what it is... but I'm trying to take a crack at it here...

For one thing, I definitely think the sound track used in the sexy times doesn't seem to be appropriate with every scene. There's a certain degree of goofiness to the sound track that just seems to break the sexual tension. With the latest scene, I get some mixed vibes, because it kind of feels like a scene where the music should be conveying just pure sexual tension and its release,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Other scenes that don't seem to meld perfectly with the choice of soundtrack in my opinion could be the

Regarding the

On the topic of sound effect melding, not sure if you've ever played Starless, but if you have, the bathroom scene with Mitarai is a kind of good one, where they change the soundtrack part way through, from one that is exploratory to one that is innocent/puppy lovesque which fits the transitions the characters are going through.

Or, on the darker side of things, there is the scene in Discipline the record of the crusade, where Otakawa is being gangbanged, where the soundtrack tension kind of rises, where the rapid tempo of the soundtrack culminates in the climax of the scene.

If we're looking for a western contemporary work of steamy scenes that I think meld pacing, writing, and atmosphere (visually and audibly) to a masterful level, I'd probably point to

For a game more Honey Select-ish in its graphical portrayal, I'd say Irphaeus's Waifu Academy has quite a few scenes that have pacing that hit the sweet spot.

Though in terms of writing, I'm not sure if the fault is entirely on the score or if there's a smidge of added tension that could drive the scenes to greater heights.

That said, this is all just my thoughts, and Kinderfeld does not need to make changes if it deviates from his/her vision, or at all. It might be fine the way it is. Or, if changes are to be made, they could also be made super far down the line, after the game is finished, or just as future polish.

Then again, maybe I should just shut up. The game's already really good as it is, so I shouldn't kill the goose that lays the golden egg. But talking about this does make me want to break down the steamy scenes for some games a lot more and try to figure out what their magic is.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll take your comments into consideration and look into making some changes, where appropriate. Changing up the audio for Two Girls, Two Rooms scene is a relatively easy change in code (adding a new audio channel and changing volume based on which side of the wall you're on). Looking into placing more thematically-appropriate audio shifts is also something I can do after a deep-dive.

In terms of changing up and adding musical tracks, that's more of a long-term project. Since I'd already added new background ambient music in Chapter 7 (to break up the monotony), it's certainly a thing I can look into. The problem is that most royalty-free music databases have some... unhelpful search engines. Finding the song that I used at the end of CH8 took me the better part of a week scouring through hundreds of options. Did it make an impact? No comments on it could mean no one hear it or cared. So, I have to be happy that I liked the choice.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Thanks for the feedback. I'll take your comments into consideration and look into making some changes, where appropriate. Changing up the audio for Two Girls, Two Rooms scene is a relatively easy change in code (adding a new audio channel and changing volume based on which side of the wall you're on). Looking into placing more thematically-appropriate audio shifts is also something I can do after a deep-dive.

In terms of changing up and adding musical tracks, that's more of a long-term project. Since I'd already added new background ambient music in Chapter 7 (to break up the monotony), it's certainly a thing I can look into. The problem is that most royalty-free music databases have some... unhelpful search engines. Finding the song that I used at the end of CH8 took me the better part of a week scouring through hundreds of options. Did it make an impact? No comments on it could mean no one hear it or cared. So, I have to be happy that I liked the choice.
Yeah I have to think you need to go with what is in your vision. I'll admit I'm one of the many that tend to mute most VN's as quite frankly, far too many devs use cheap annoying sound effects and terrible choices of music so i just don't bother with them. I can tell within a minute of playing whether I'm going to be able to put up with it or not heh, but that doesn't deter me from playing a good VN, I'm happy to listen to my own stuff whether it fits or not just as i do if reading a book.

Reactions: Kinderfeld

Kinderfeld

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
While Ch8 is heavy on the intense action, Chapters 9 and 10 will trend more towards "A fresh breath of air" where they get some time to relax, get used to their new location and the MC spends time with both girls. I definitely want to slip in more moments of them just trying to enjoy the moments of peace.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019

Maybe you can get with KoGa3 with the music sitch? I know he adds music to other games. Might be a thought to put your minds together.

erkper

May 16, 2018
Wow. Was out of town for a week and I knew a new update was out but just had the opportunity to d/l and play it. Great stuff, Kinderfeld , really well done. This is by far the best zombie apocalypse story I have ever read/watched.

Kinderfeld

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
'here's what we're gonna do.

Don't ya just love assholes who point out spelling mistakes before it's even released :giggle:
Hahaha. :D Especially for a scene that'll be rewritten/rearranged three times before the script gets run through Ginger and Grammarly to flag issues.

Still, thanks for the catch. (y)

Kinderfeld

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018

And with that, Chapter Nine is formally underway. If you've been keeping up with the development of Now & Then, you have a pretty good idea of our standard timelines. With that said, though, expect there to probably be a couple extra days (up to a week, worst case) added to this episode's build.

This is mostly for two reasons: Chapter Nine adds a large number of new locations, and building these with the proper props and lighting is adding a little time to the development cycle. Also, there is some extra seasonal content that needs to be implemented, meaning some tweaks to the GUI and testing (to make sure it doesn't break anything).
Sample screens:
Nowandthen Sample Pics.jpg Nowandthen Sample Pics2.jpg

Thanks for your support.
- Kinderfeld

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
Hmm.... in that second sample image the person comforting(?) Alice is a bright redhead. And perhaps wearing glasses? Interesting.

4.60 star(s) 281 Votes