Kinderfeld

Developer of Now & Then and The Interim Domain
Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018

There's less of a theme for June's wallpapers/pin-ups this time around. Instead, since we got a saucy scene with Alice in Chapter Four, I figured it'd be nice to have a little fun with her.

If you want to see what else happens, check out the .

In terms of news on the Chapter Five front, expect an update in the next day or two (work's already begun but I don't have a solid progress number yet).

June 2020 Public #1

June 2020 Public #2

Hope you enjoy!
-Kinderfeld

Kinderfeld

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018

Unlike previous releases, we are already fully underway in the development of Chapter Five before the first development announcement. Considering the cliffhanger nature of the last chapter, I'm sure some of you are happy to hear the aggressive timeline already employed.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I actually started pulling the script together in between releasing 0.04.0 to Tier 3 Patrons and by the time it went public. With how important the events of Chapter Five are, there were sizable chunks already written, so getting the script to a near-finished state wasn't hard. Right now, I could drop it in, sans images, and have about 90% of the scenes "readable."

Also, on a more boring matter, I reworked the progress tracker to add a "weight" system to each scene. It felt kind of dumb to have all sequences be measured equally when some take far more work than others. I decided to add a three-point scale as a measurement tool:
1: Short transition scenes or moments that aren't very long or complex.
2: Longer conversations or moments that require multiple locations, model changes or decisions trees. Maybe include animations.
3: Complex events with lots of conversation or action. Any scene with multiple outcomes. Any scene with multiple animations.

To take Chapter Four as an example, the back-end up the update is heavy with scenes that rank Two and Three in this scale, meaning the last six or so scenes should take more time to build. It's all very "no duh," but I wanted the update percentages to be more reflective of the work being done.

Sample Screens:
Nowandthen Sample Pics1.jpg

Nowandthen Sample Pics2.jpg
- Kinderfeld

Dyhart

Jul 30, 2017
Don't feel bad. That's just good marketing. I found this game because of your link.
Same. Honestly I saw Kindread in someone's signature because I had forgotten all about it, noticed it was on hold and went to the final page for some news and saw the advert to this game :p Sounds interesting so I think I'll give it a try.

Kinderfeld

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
Is it a free roam game ??
No. Now & Then is a story-driven visual novel, where choices change conversations, current scenes, and future sequences. There will also be points where the player can choose to "interact" with, which will build towards specific endings.

' next project will be a more traditional "open-world" nukige, with a map and multiple storylines the player can choose to progress as they wish.

Vrijgeest

Engaged Member
Jun 16, 2019
No. Now & Then is a story-driven visual novel, where choices change conversations, current scenes, and future sequences. There will also be points where the player can choose to "interact" with, which will build towards specific endings.

' next project will be a more traditional "open-world" nukige, with a map and multiple storylines the player can choose to progress as they wish.
Please not another bloody sandbox. They should be banned. Just tell a story.

Dyhart

Jul 30, 2017
Damn had me going seeing this in the updates but it's the same version I played several hours ago. Lol

But I really enjoyed this.

Reactions: Kinderfeld

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
i was sceptic at the beginning...but now...i'm very into this story and the romance itself...usually i'm very nitpicky on games, plots and romances...

Reactions: Kinderfeld

DrakoGhoul

Engaged Member
Jul 13, 2018
This looks to be right up my alley. I can't believe i overlooked it. It sort of reminds me of the Kindred from reading the overview, which is another game i enjoyed on here. I'm interested in exploring this take on these kind of games since i did love the kindred a lot.

Kinderfeld

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
I like this game .. decided to decode the script and figure out what is going on behind the curtain. Here is my walk-through in case someone else is looking to get all the points and dialog.
I added a link to this in the first post. Thanks and sorry if my code is a bit junk. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.
i was sceptic at the beginning...but now...i'm very into this story and the romance itself...usually i'm very nitpicky on games, plots and romances...
Yeah, I'm a firm believer of making tangible, real characters with proper "weight" to their motivations. So, I've toiled over making their relationship believable and real.
This looks to be right up my alley. I can't believe i overlooked it. It sort of reminds me of the Kindred from reading the overview, which is another game i enjoyed on here. I'm interested in exploring this take on these kind of games since i did love the kindred a lot.
Yeah, I'm a fan of Kindread as well and I think we draw from similar influences (zombie/collapse of society movies and lit).

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
I added a link to this in the first post. Thanks and sorry if my code is a bit junk. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.
Sweet - glad you appreciate it.

No worries - your code is not at all hard to follow, I just don't know what your plans are (future chapters) so don't know if a variable you set is going to be used into the future .. It took me longer to make things look pretty (colors and formatting) than it did to follow your logic. Let me know if something is wrong and I can fix it.

BarbarrossaNA

Sep 10, 2019
One fricking well put together and enjoyable game. Some games have better renders and a horrendous story. This one the renders are decent.. and the story is as well written as some books I've read. Love the FONT.. suits the game enormously.

Truly a classic in the early stages.. Can't wait to see where Kinderfeld and ILSProductions takes us on this journey. 8/10

4.60 star(s) 274 Votes