mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
This tells me that other games with this type of mod you played before were linear. On Now & Then the story separate on routes determined by dialogue choices: Jack can be with Naomi, with Carol or both (or neither i think). The mod will likely mess with all those variables.
From reading the code - which is how I do my WT - that is exactly it.

Kinderfeld

Developer of Now & Then and The Interim Domain
Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
That is one way of looking at it. The problem with the save compatibility is really weird because this is the only game where I have these problems. I mean, in basically every game that I play that has a walkthrough mod I use it and none of them have these problems.

One thing I would like to know, and only Kinderfeld can answer this, if we go with the relationship with both Carol and Naomi why do we even have to choose between their scenes why not just play both scenes in an order that makes sense?
For a couple of reasons, all of which are person design philosophies. First and foremost, I wanted the pursuit of both girls to be a balancing act. I'm not going to make the J+C&N ending based on some Rube Goldberg bullshit where you have to do everything right, but it would require keeping both girls invested in the relationship.

I did not design the game/story around the idea of a walkthrough mod being present (frankly, I didn't expect it to be successful enough to draw that kind of attention). As such, when I planned that there would be at least three endings, I wanted there to be a number of exclusive C/N choices, meaning that you would still see new content on replay. Plus, some of the choices trigger scene variants down the line (choosing to take Naomi's virginity in 11 rather than 10, and a scene variant in Ch13 if you had sex with Naomi in 12, etc.).

Also, I do want to have a sense of time passing, and to force Jack to choose one way or the other points right back to his limited amount of time to just "enjoy the quiet moments".

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
For a couple of reasons, all of which are person design philosophies. First and foremost, I wanted the pursuit of both girls to be a balancing act. I'm not going to make the J+C&N ending based on some Rube Goldberg bullshit where you have to do everything right, but it would require keeping both girls invested in the relationship.

I did not design the game/story around the idea of a walkthrough mod being present (frankly, I didn't expect it to be successful enough to draw that kind of attention). As such, when I planned that there would be at least three endings, I wanted there to be a number of exclusive C/N choices, meaning that you would still see new content on replay. Plus, some of the choices trigger scene variants down the line (choosing to take Naomi's virginity in 11 rather than 10, and a scene variant in Ch13 if you had sex with Naomi in 12, etc.).

Also, I do want to have a sense of time passing, and to force Jack to choose one way or the other points right back to his limited amount of time to just "enjoy the quiet moments".
I maybe alone here but I like having to choose. This last update I had Jack have sex with Carol and then have sex with Naomi. Perhaps in subsequent playthroughs I might go exclusively one or the other or even switch which one Jack sexes up first. When I am playing a game with a really good story I don't mind replaying it. I'd only consider using a walkthrough mod if I wasn't invested in the characters and story, but then I doubt I would be playing a game where I felt I needed a walkthrough mod.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
I maybe alone here but I like having to choose. This last update I had Jack have sex with Carol and then have sex with Naomi. Perhaps in subsequent playthroughs I might go exclusively one or the other or even switch which one Jack sexes up first. When I am playing a game with a really good story I don't mind replaying it. I'd only consider using a walkthrough mod if I wasn't invested in the characters and story, but then I doubt I would be playing a game where I felt I needed a walkthrough mod.
I feel that. It's why I don't play many games anymore. But, on occasion I do use a mod. Anyway...

Reactions: MrFriendly

erkper

May 16, 2018
You are not alone. I can see the appeal of a mod for some games, but I think I've made my thoughts on the necessity (or lack thereof) of one in this game pretty clear.

Kinderfeld - you keep doing what you're doing, this story is great just exactly as it is, and replayability is a good thing, not something to be modded out.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
You are not alone. I can see the appeal of a mod for some games, but I think I've made my thoughts on the necessity (or lack thereof) of one in this game pretty clear.

Kinderfeld - you keep doing what you're doing, this story is great just exactly as it is, and replayability is a good thing, not something to be modded out.
When it comes to mods, it's like the age old argument ass or tits. Me, I use them on some games. But, lately, I've drifted away from the usage. Mainly because I've stopped playing certain games for one reason or the other. I agree that this game doesn't need one, but, again, we're back to player choice. Ass or Tits. lol

Naxos

Engaged Member
May 9, 2018
I can't remember if I've posted on this before or not. I seem to recall stating a post but wanting to finish the content before replying and I thing I lost it.

<snip>(frankly, I didn't expect it to be successful enough to draw that kind of attention).<snip>
Dude, I honestly can't understand that comment. This story is awesome. I have said before about games that impress me and immediately rocket into my top 5, this one has blown most of those away and down that list hard.

The only negative in this game for me has been the trigger discipline when the MC, Carol and especially Naomi (her father would have taught her better) have handled weapons. That's it.

Ok and maybe the huge bush on the girls, but hey who has time (till now) to shave in an apocalypses right?

Also Kinderfeld the option to shut down Naomi's interest in Sydney and keep her for yourself. Much love, you're the MVP!

I'd love the option to add her to the harem, but if it's not to be I can see how it wouldn't make sense in the story, and as much as I love redheads so be it.

Kinderfeld

Developer of Now & Then and The Interim Domain
Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
Dude, I honestly can't understand that comment. This story is awesome. I have said before about games that impress me and immediately rocket into my top 5, this one has blown most of those away and down that list hard.
Let me say that from my experience with the publishing industry over the past 5-10 years, if you're not pitching something that's a rip-off of something popular, you're not going to get any attention. And once you go the self-publishing route and start reaching out to literary reviewers, you find out that most don't want anything more than light-romance dressed up in thematic-cosplay. So, my expectations were understandably tempered. I went into Now & Then with the expectation that if I wasn't mimicking some of the more popular offerings that I might not gain a lot of traction. So, I stick with the mantra of "Make a game I want to play and if other people like it, well, cool." That's it gotten this far is great, because I've see other games go completely ignored for no reason other than... timing, I guess.

And in other news...

Nowandthen Update Banner.jpg

After a short period to bask in the afterglow of the latest release, we're back to work on the next update. While the raw numbers in the tracker below show good progress for the first week back, they don't tell some of the more untracked elements: the plot outline was locked in from day one and the base script for the first half is pretty much done. Now, it's just a matter of getting scenes arranged, shot and made playable.

The only other comment I can make right now is that players should expect a lot of minor tweaks to the narrative, reflecting the course through the story they've taken thus far. There's a specific scene that, while not huge, has three distinct outcomes based on what you've done prior. Because at this point in the game you should be making choices about your relationships with the girls, I see this as the kind of presentation wrinkle I want in the game going forward.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Annual membership
With Now & Then having a good year's worth of content still to develop (and not considering future projects), I've gone and turned on the option for annual memberships. Which means, I probably didn't do it exactly right and it won't show up and someone will have to say "Hey, actually..." and then I'll go in and do it again and then it'll work. Ask the Discord, they'll get the joke.

Why go annual? Well, it gets you a 10% discount on your membership. I would give out raw numbers on the savings, but I tried to do it last night while "high" on cold medicine and apparently did it based on 10 months in a year and not 12, so maybe math is not my mistress.

Sample screens:
Nowandthen Sample Pics.jpg Nowandthen Sample Pics2.jpg

Thanks for your patience and support.
- Kinderfeld

V&M

Donor
Feb 10, 2020
Let me say that from my experience with the publishing industry over the past 5-10 years, if you're not pitching something that's a rip-off of something popular, you're not going to get any attention. And once you go the self-publishing route and start reaching out to literary reviewers, you find out that most don't want anything more than light-romance dressed up in thematic-cosplay. So, my expectations were understandably tempered. I went into Now & Then with the expectation that if I wasn't mimicking some of the more popular offerings that I might not gain a lot of traction. So, I stick with the mantra of "Make a game I want to play and if other people like it, well, cool." That's it gotten this far is great, because I've see other games go completely ignored for no reason other than... timing, I guess.

And in other news...

View attachment 1005955

After a short period to bask in the afterglow of the latest release, we're back to work on the next update. While the raw numbers in the tracker below show good progress for the first week back, they don't tell some of the more untracked elements: the plot outline was locked in from day one and the base script for the first half is pretty much done. Now, it's just a matter of getting scenes arranged, shot and made playable.

The only other comment I can make right now is that players should expect a lot of minor tweaks to the narrative, reflecting the course through the story they've taken thus far. There's a specific scene that, while not huge, has three distinct outcomes based on what you've done prior. Because at this point in the game you should be making choices about your relationships with the girls, I see this as the kind of presentation wrinkle I want in the game going forward.
Annual membership
With Now & Then having a good year's worth of content still to develop (and not considering future projects), I've gone and turned on the option for annual memberships. Which means, I probably didn't do it exactly right and it won't show up and someone will have to say "Hey, actually..." and then I'll go in and do it again and then it'll work. Ask the Discord, they'll get the joke.

Why go annual? Well, it gets you a 10% discount on your membership. I would give out raw numbers on the savings, but I tried to do it last night while "high" on cold medicine and apparently did it based on 10 months in a year and not 12, so maybe math is not my mistress.

Sample screens:
View attachment 1005953 View attachment 1005954

- Kinderfeld

Reactions: lunar517

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
I can't remember if I've posted on this before or not. I seem to recall stating a post but wanting to finish the content before replying and I thing I lost it.

The only negative in this game for me has been the trigger discipline when the MC, Carol and especially Naomi (her father would have taught her better) have handled weapons. That's it.

Ok and maybe the huge bush on the girls, but hey who has time (till now) to shave in an apocalypses right?

Also Kinderfeld the option to shut down Naomi's interest in Sydney and keep her for yourself. Much love, you're the MVP!

I'd love the option to add her to the harem, but if it's not to be I can see how it wouldn't make sense in the story, and as much as I love redheads so be it.
Love the trigger discipline .. I caught that as well but figured - screw it - most people don't catch that.

The other thing - you comment about not understanding how not expecting to blow up - different people have different mentalities. Some people go into things full of confidence, and when shit doesn't happen exactly, get frustrated. Some people have moderate expectations and temper as they go along. Some people go in with educated guesses, and re-adjust as time goes on. I am not commenting on what Kinderfeld is .. Only they know their own mind. Just saying that if I were to create a game - which if I can finish my 10 hours of work a day - and pass my next test, I might do it, I know my mentality.

Expectations would be so damn low, and any praise would be welcomed, and I would give a shit about criticism as I have my own path. But hey - that is what you get when you are an old fart with minimal talent and a shit ton of life experience :)

Naxos

Engaged Member
May 9, 2018
Man, how I wish I could support it, but unfortunately I live in a country where the dollar is almost 6 to 1.
The company I work for 17 years will close there in February or March, that is, I will be unemployed soon, and things are not going well here.
Dude, I feel your pain. I"m sitting in a country where it's 16:1 to the dollar, and I lost 1/3 of my income this month, after having it already reduced by 25% last year and I'm in very real danger of being unemployed soon to. This was a game I discovered in Nov I think and was on the list to be the next one I support, now I'm actively cancelling all my support for all games.

Love the trigger discipline .. I caught that as well but figured - screw it - most people don't catch that.

The other thing - you comment about not understanding how not expecting to blow up - different people have different mentalities. Some people go into things full of confidence, and when shit doesn't happen exactly, get frustrated. Some people have moderate expectations and temper as they go along. Some people go in with educated guesses, and re-adjust as time goes on. I am not commenting on what Kinderfeld is .. Only they know their own mind. Just saying that if I were to create a game - which if I can finish my 10 hours of work a day - and pass my next test, I might do it, I know my mentality.

Expectations would be so damn low, and any praise would be welcomed, and I would give a shit about criticism as I have my own path. But hey - that is what you get when you are an old fart with minimal talent and a shit ton of life experience :)
Yeah, some scenes it was great, some they needed a wrap over the knuckles.

I get what you're saying. One thing I've noticed is the people who get into it because they want to share a story or something they like seem to end up doing quite well vs those who do it for the money. Not to say there aren't those done for the money that work well. 4 of my top 5 seem to be people who have been completely caught of guard how popular they've been.

To me it also seems that go in with a clear idea of what type of content they want or don't want seem to do well as well. Again of course those that cater to fans and add in whatever the majority want might do well financially but they are not great games.

Personally I'm just glad I stumbled on this gem.

wstlndwarrior

Mar 1, 2020
Decided to do Walkthrough Mod for this game. Enjoy! Gallery Unlocked.

Edit: Updated to v0.12.0

Note: Did not add the alternate Naomi scenes into the mod due to the fact I want to keep it Harem, they are however unlocked, the content is also very small, and intended for a second playthough of the game.

Install: Extract to "game" folder, overwrite when prompted.

You can find this an all my other content here:

Or you can:
This is a problem.

Mormont

Devoted Member
Nov 30, 2018
I agree for me it's one of the better stories I've always felt this was an underrated AVN you get other games which update and can be a disappointment I don't think I've ever been disappointed with any of these updates they always fill with excitement and get you thinking what is around the next corner.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017

And in other news...

View attachment 1005955

Annual membership

Sample screens:
View attachment 1005953 View attachment 1005954

- Kinderfeld
All true. I really hope we move away from the generic incest trope that flood adult games. I mean the "landlady/neighboor and college that looks like a school" thing is way to overused.

• Sad
Reactions: HansDampf788

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
All true. I really hope we move away from the generic incest trope that flood adult games. I mean the "landlady/neighboor and college that looks like a school" thing is way to overused.
Eh. I half agree. I'm tired of the overly used retarded virgin college MC and the whole school scenarios. But, incest is a mainstay. I just wish devs would do it a lot better than what we have now. I'd prefer a bro/sis scenario, where the MC and sis are already adults, maybe in their 30s and living their own independent lives, but are close and then have them start getting closer. Let it start out slow. Not too slow, but, maybe a medium burn. But, we deal with what we have.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Eh. I half agree. I'm tired of the overly used retarded virgin college MC and the whole school scenarios. But, incest is a mainstay. I just wish devs would do it a lot better than what we have now. I'd prefer a bro/sis scenario, where the MC and sis are already adults, maybe in their 30s and living their own independent lives, but are close and then have them start getting closer. Let it start out slow. Not too slow, but, maybe a medium burn. But, we deal with what we have.
That would be nice... Something different, probably why I don't mind this game too much when it comes to "incest". I suggested a game where the mother/son have already established their incestuous relationship, she's preggers with his kid, and she helps him with his conquest of other women (not all have to be incest in nature).

Anyway, looking forward to more of this game. Just hope we get some form of a 'happy ending' to it.

MuffinManWantsPregnancy

Say no to NTR and Fuck a Preggie girl
Donor
Feb 5, 2020
I don't even think they need to be in their 30's. We can have a young protagonist that doesn't act like a 13 year old virgin who is seeing bobs and vagene for the first time. lol.

faradhii

Sep 8, 2019
It's called Haley's Story. :)

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
I don't even think they need to be in their 30's. We can have a young protagonist that doesn't act like a 13 year old virgin who is seeing bobs and vagene for the first time. lol.
Thing is, I'm in my 50s and I'd just prefer an older male MC. Seems like every game, whether incest or not, is some retarded snot-nosed virgin. Like you said, someone more mature and yes, I know that age has nothing to do with maturity, but, an older and mature MC would be nice.

It's called Haley's Story. :)
Oh. Yeah. But once again, the MC is pretty dumb in that one also.

4.60 star(s) 281 Votes