P3zz0

MP-40 Enjoyer
Donor
Compressor
Jul 8, 2017
Good morning lads and lasses, time for a lil dev update about CH14 to start (or finish your day).
In any case, enjoy !
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Chapter Fourteen (0.14.0) Update #1
After a little hiccup, work on the next episode of Now & Then is formally underway. The story picks up a few days after the last chapter as Jack and the girls start moving towards the next stage of their journey.

As with the last third of Ch13, there's a lot here that hinges on what you've done and what a certain character (*cough* Sydney *cough*) knows or feels. By the time this chapter is done, there should be a resolution as everyone moves forward. I mean, let's be real: Having to write, shoot, and code four or more variants of specific exchanges is getting to be a drag even for me. So, let's move on!

The numbers below are a little deceptive this time, for two reasons:
1) A lot of the scenes at the back-end of the episode are in a state of flux, purely from a sense of timing and where they're placed on the timeline to make the most sense, story-wise. Not that this is a huge issue, but it just means that I haven't entirely nailed down everything yet.

2) There's a lot of little transition scenes that are also dependent on where the bigger moments line up. Add in a few that hinge on the girls' stats, and I'm still a little fuzzy on how complex some of these moments will be until I'm working on them.

zeroidk

Jan 2, 2020
Guess I'm in the minority but jumping from v11 to v13.1 breaks my saves and I don't use mods. Same issue people are getting with the walkthrough mod.

Naxos

Engaged Member
May 9, 2018
Fourth one worked, thanks. Seems this issue needs to be looked into a little more.
It might be caused by a change in the renpy version, a lot of games have had similar issues recently. I don't think it's anything the dev has done other than maybe update to a newer version of renpy.

Kinderfeld

Developer of Now & Then and The Interim Domain
Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
Yeah, a few Ren'py devs have been reporting issues after upgrading from 7.3.5 to 7.4.2 causing people to be unable to even open the game or false positives in their anti-virus programs. It's why 0.13.1 was created. Problem is that rolling back to 7.3.5 absolutely makes another set of problems with the saves. So, I'm having to make assessments on which version of Ren'py to use going forward: one that borks old saves or one that some people just can't open on their computers.

zeroidk

Jan 2, 2020
Yeah, a few Ren'py devs have been reporting issues after upgrading from 7.3.5 to 7.4.2 causing people to be unable to even open the game or false positives in their anti-virus programs. It's why 0.13.1 was created. Problem is that rolling back to 7.3.5 absolutely makes another set of problems with the saves. So, I'm having to make assessments on which version of Ren'py to use going forward: one that borks old saves or one that some people just can't open on their computers.
Sounds like a headache lol. Good to know. I guess I haven't come across this as I didn't update much recently. Loading an autosave worked for me though, so maybe that's a slight workaround. Some here seem to be restarting completely over this after all.

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
As a fan -

One thing to think of, if you go with the "borks old saves" route, is if the control key still works when you test it. What I mean is if you are forced to go with 7.4.2, and people have to start over, can you hold down the control key and you can skip the stuff you have seen. If that works, then yes it will be a bit slow, but at the end of they it is only 10 minutes to get back to where you were in chapter 14. True fans will know, and understand it is not your fault and will be okay, because you have mitigated the pain.

I personally have 4 saves running - and would have no problems starting over as that is the risk you take with any game, especially those that are not finished, due to many reasons. I have said it before on this site, it takes a ton of foresight to make saves work over multiple releases and you are one of the best at making shit work for a long time. If it happens - it is not like it is an every release occurrence.

ianpac

Oct 31, 2018
Finally got around to finishing the last 3-4 chapters and gotta say still really loving this game. I am really loving all the girls and enjoying the story. What I really wanna know though is has the dev ever stated how many chapters this game is gonna be? Hopefully there will be a lot more!!!

cheer1o_o

Sep 18, 2019
I've just finished the 0.12 Android version of the game and now wondering if I'll have to start from the beginning once i delete the old version and install 0.13.1

siad9871

Oct 29, 2020
played up to chapter 13, don't really have any real complaints.

dialogue at times was a little odd but aside from that the story is interesting, and im glad that the focus is not primarily upon the MC having a sexual relationship with Carol/Naomi, and that there is care to remind the viewer that there is a hostile outside world.
I will say that I rather enjoyed the spasm that the characters would go through during orgasm, its a refreshing change from the single paused frame with a flash or two to show an orgasm.

looking forward to see more from this project!!

akselx

Mar 29, 2020
My only complain of this game is about the clear overuse of a phrase "something fierce". It's one thing when one character use it again and again and entirely another matter when every other person says this. Takes you out of the story a bit.

Reikijkl

Apr 8, 2019
Hey guys, my sd card got corrupted and I lost all my progress x(. I was a little far in and I was wondering if anyone had save file from when the crew is at the school and before the choice with Naomi. I dunno how so spoiler block yet but those who played I hope you understand which part I mean.

Kinderfeld

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
Hey guys, my sd card got corrupted and I lost all my progress x(. I was a little far in and I was wondering if anyone had save file from when the crew is at the school and before the choice with Naomi. I dunno how so spoiler block yet but those who played I hope you understand which part I mean.
Attached is a ZIP with saves for both 0.13.0 and 0.13.1 (depending on which version you're running) right at the choice in Chapter 10 just before you chose whether to go in and talk to Naomi or not. To change your MC's name, go into the Preferences and select "Change your name" after loading up the save.

Kinderfeld

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2018
Nowandthen Update Banner.jpg

And here we are, at about the (sorta) half-way point. In truth, there's actually about 2/3rds of the update in a playable state, so far, but with script re-writes for pacing and continuity and a bit of back-end coding to do, it's still hovering at 51ish percent. With upwards of six possible variations of certain scenes, it's good to have some resolution on specific story threads.

In terms of the last five or so scenes yet to be built, I already know the who/what/where/when/why of them, but the script as yet does not exist. So, with a couple of days to hammer that out, I should be able to move forward with the photo-work.
In comparing this episode to the plot outlines for future chapters, it's probably the last really "talky" chapter for a while. A lot of things should be settled, just in time for the story to move on by the chapter's conclusion.

Sample Screens:
Nowandthen Sample Pics.jpg Nowandthen Sample Pics2.jpg

Thanks for your interest and support,
- Kinderfeld

TundraLupus

Apr 8, 2020
View attachment 1074496

And here we are, at about the (sorta) half-way point. In truth, there's actually about 2/3rds of the update in a playable state, so far, but with script re-writes for pacing and continuity and a bit of back-end coding to do, it's still hovering at 51ish percent. With upwards of six possible variations of certain scenes, it's good to have some resolution on specific story threads.

In terms of the last five or so scenes yet to be built, I already know the who/what/where/when/why of them, but the script as yet does not exist. So, with a couple of days to hammer that out, I should be able to move forward with the photo-work.
In comparing this episode to the plot outlines for future chapters, it's probably the last really "talky" chapter for a while. A lot of things should be settled, just in time for the story to move on by the chapter's conclusion.

Sample Screens:
View attachment 1074494 View attachment 1074495

Thanks for your interest and support,
- Kinderfeld
thanks for sharing the progress with us.

4.60 star(s) 281 Votes