VN Ren'Py Abandoned Offcuts [v0.3.1] [stencilbits]

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes

Pitrik

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Oct 11, 2018
aunt bar.jpg

A month has passed by again, so it's time for the monthly update! Tech demo is out and tested, the script is mostly in shape and visuals done. Not much to say at this point, the only thing left is finding enough time for the final polish and release. I should be able to give the final release date at some point during the next month. I'll have my summer vacation around July and plenty of time to wrap things up during that time, so that should be the worst case deadline fow now. Once I know that, I'll also start dumping content here as I did before the previous releases. I already posted some quick low-res teasers to the Discord server a few days ago and plenty more are ready to go. It has been a long and painful road here, but let's try to finally get this last stretch done. And as a reminder, release 0.4 will contain Alice's full storyline.

Like before, I'm not going to take any Patreon payments until 0.4 is out (I'll temporarily suspend my Patreon at the end of each month until then).

The rest of the post is mostly copy and paste from my previous updates for those who are new or want to be reminded of what will be coming next. See you in the next post, thanks for your support!

--

So, TL;DR:

* 0.4 will have Alice's storyline.

* Some new tech in 0.4: interactive 3D and pre-rendered movies, at least a few of each. When I get the pipeline (and my skills) working smoothly, next releases should have more.

* After 0.4 I will try out a bit faster release schedule with partial updates instead of releasing large, complete routes that take ages to finish. We'll see how it goes.

* Steam release at some point after 0.4 is out. Steam has been pretty random with adult games, so who knows what can happen.

Kakato

Engaged Member
Feb 25, 2017
Only thing that caught my attention is this " I'll have my summer vacation around July and plenty of time to wrap things up during that time, so that should be the worst case deadline fow now. "

That's one hell of final polishing my man. Even professionnal painters don't take that much time. LMAO.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Is this game still going on at a George R.R. Martin pace, or has it been abandoned?
Depends on what you believe.

Considering the dev first said the update was almost ready and we'd be getting it around Christmas 2019, then it was January 2020 then a bit later in 2020 yet now here we are in the middle of 2021 still getting copy pasta monthly updates.

Then consider that every update before that the 2 updates after launch took longer than each other by several months.

You have the defenders of the dev that only ever manage to say "well he pauses his Patreon" even though no one ever mentions money.

The dev constantly repeats that he's working on the technical side and it's going out to beta testers soon, that's been happening since at least February according to aforementioned copy pasta notes.

We either have a game that spent a long time on hold or a dev with the shittiest work ethic since Icstor.

No one knows is the only real answer. I couldn't tell you if the update is going to come out any time soon or if it's being worked on at all because it's been over 2 years now and we still have nothing to go by.

It's also left 2 major problems.

1 being the devs plans to release smaller updates in the future to make releases quicker. All that means is long waits between small updates. It's still going to take a long time for the full story to get out.

2 being the plans to go to Steam. The problem there being if he pulls this shit there they will cry scam, review bomb and go on a campaign to either pull the game from the store or make sure no one buys it. I've seen devs like this go through that shit there. Unlike here, once your reputation is shot on Steam there is no recovery.

The shit thing about all this is Offcuts is one of the better games on the site.

I'm not angry the update is slow i'm frustrated because this should be popular. This should have been one of the biggest games on the site but the dev himself has made damn sure it never will be. It's almost like he's self sabotaged it.

Aug 16, 2019

Considering the dev first said the update was almost ready and we'd be getting it around Christmas 2019, then it was January 2020 then a bit later in 2020 yet now here we are in the middle of 2021 still getting copy pasta monthly updates.

Then consider that every update before that the 2 updates after launch took longer than each other by several months.

You have the defenders of the dev that only ever manage to say "well he pauses his Patreon" even though no one ever mentions money.

The dev constantly repeats that he's working on the technical side and it's going out to beta testers soon, that's been happening since at least February according to aforementioned copy pasta notes.

We either have a game that spent a long time on hold or a dev with the shittiest work ethic since Icstor.

No one knows is the only real answer. I couldn't tell you if the update is going to come out any time soon or if it's being worked on at all because it's been over 2 years now and we still have nothing to go by.

1 being the devs plans to release smaller updates in the future to make releases quicker. All that means is long waits between small updates. It's still going to take a long time for the full story to get out.

2 being the plans to go to Steam. The problem there being if he pulls this shit there they will cry scam, review bomb and go on a campaign to either pull the game from the store or make sure no one buys it. I've seen devs like this go through that shit there. Unlike here, once your reputation is shot on Steam there is no recovery.

The shit thing about all this is Offcuts is one of the better games on the site.

I'm not angry the update is slow i'm frustrated because this should be popular. This should have been one of the biggest games on the site but the dev himself has made damn sure it never will be. It's almost like he's self sabotaged it.
I had forgotten about this game. Last time I played only

I played it back when only the Nina route existed. Then I forgot it existed. Then in 2019 I downloaded it again, thinking it was a different game and to my surprise, I rediscovered it. Kept waiting patiently for a while and forgot about it around Halloween 2020. Just remembered about it yesterday. It's sad because it's one of the better games that I've seen here and it's a shame how forgettable it becomes after the ridiculously long periods between updates.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
it's a shame how forgettable it becomes after the ridiculously long periods between updates.
That's the biggest issue and it's what holds it back here and will screw him over with Steam.

With so many games coming out I see at least 4 or 5 0.1's on a daily basis plus the games people play on a regular basis, this gets forgotten pretty quickly.

It's weird that the dev doesn't want to succeed. He makes a game people genuinely love and then makes sure it's barely talked about, hardly anyone gives a shit about it and it's barely got a fraction of the playerbase that it should have.

All of that is because of the dev and I just don't get why he's ruining his own chances of making something of this game.

aesir150

Jul 5, 2017
That's the biggest issue and it's what holds it back here and will screw him over with Steam.

All of that is because of the dev and I just don't get why he's ruining his own chances of making something of this game.
It is pretty obvious that this game is more of a passion project and hobby for them rather than a commercial enterprise dedicated solely to making money. Just because you're use to garbage short generic cash grabs with like 5 hentai pictures for each girl like Dharker Studios or Sakura games doesn't mean every other game developer wants to do the cookie cutter grind churning out crap on a regular 4 month schedule.

They are in no rush to throw out crap updates, they don't accept donations. And they aren't putting the game out on early access on steam to milk sales for a uncomplete and broken product. This is a sign of what a good developer is, not a bad one.

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes