VN Ren'Py Abandoned Offcuts [v0.3.1] [stencilbits]

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
"Why yes, teacher, I did have my essay written and ready for class. Unfortunately, as I was excitedly running to class with my essay in hand, all typed and formatted and ready for you, I tripped. Yes, I tripped and my essay, which was all ready for you, fell out of my hand and into a giant paper shredder that was in the hall."

markel1000

Oct 27, 2020
"Why yes, teacher, I did have my essay written and ready for class. Unfortunately, as I was excitedly running to class with my essay in hand, all typed and formatted and ready for you, I tripped. Yes, I tripped and my essay, which was all ready for you, fell out of my hand and into a giant paper shredder that was in the hall."
Exactly this excuse is horrible

OctoSky

Jun 29, 2017
August 30th 2019: script for Alice's story is currently about 75% done and I should be able to finish the first draft during September. The 0.4 release target could be around November/December.

September 29th 2019: script is now ready. Currently, the planned release date is for November/December and the estimate probably gets more accurate as we get closer. (Still no excuses)

October 30th 2019: The progress has been steady and the script is now mostly complete. (Read above where it says script is now ready). Most of the backgrounds and 3D-scenes are also ready, so the most significant work is now done. The target for 0.4 release date is currently December, and the holidays should give me plenty of time to wrap things up. (Read the date again after reading that).

November 29th 2019: The work has now entered the last lap, and I should be soon able to estimate the final release date. (2019 and it has entered its last lap).
The original plan for the release was maybe somewhere in December, but I will be spending a few weeks elsewhere during the winter holidays, so I will have to push the release later to January. (Now the excuses have started since the post above this one says the holidays should give him plenty of time).

December 23rd 2019: The only critical stuff left is mostly scripting, some editing and other polishing. (If its the only stuff left does he add one letter to the scripting per day?).
I'll be back in early January and the final 0.4 release date should be at some point during January/February. After that, I'll experiment with a bit faster release cycle as mentioned in previous updates. (Uh huh)

January 30th 2020: I might be able to squeeze 0.4 release to February, but I'll probably want to polish it more. (By this point he has been using the polishing/editing and making visuals better excuse since November).

February 28th 2020: this month, I mostly spent my time polishing the story, adding scripting and other related stuff. (More polishing. If he spent this much time on polishing the story and polishing/editing visuals to make them better, than this release should be the greatest VN of all time).
the final release in April if everything goes well. (Still giving release dates).

March 30th 2020: The following news is pretty similar to my previous update post. (He wasn't lying. Its damn near a copy/paste update with a couple words changed).
When I had any free time, I mostly spent it polishing the story, adding scripting and other related stuff. (Greatest. VN. Ever.....of all time.)

April 29th 2020: Nothing, just a copy/paste post again with a few words changed. There was nothing new, just him telling us how he was working on a laptop and playing with Blender.

May 30th 2020: I'm finally back at my place and can work remotely from now on. This means I can start focusing my attention on finishing Offcuts 0.4 and Alice's storyline! (Think we can call Guinness world records and tell them we have someone that has the worlds shortest attention span).

June 29th 2020: started fully working on the new content once more. (Read date.)
At this point, most of the content is ready, but some tedious and boring stuff from script tweaking to editing is still left. (Also said in November that it has entered its last lap. 7 months later most of the content is ready. Oh! And more polishing. Now we know why it hasn't been released. He polished it too much and it exploded in his face.)

July 30th 2020: In related news, I'm also changing jobs in real life! (First changing job/moving excuse.)
Rest of the post is just crap thats been said since February.

August 30th 2020: The release target for 0.4 is the week between October 12 and 18. (Now he's getting into making release dates 2 months after the post instead of 1 month after).
Copy/paste in the rest of it. No news.

September 29th 2020: As a quick reminder, a quick technical test release should be out at some point between October 12 and 18. (Now its a quick technical test release but in August it was a release.)
Again, just copy/paste. No news after.

October 30th 2020: The end is near, and new 3D tech stuff promised for 0.4 is pretty much ready. (Another post saying this.)
Anyway, the tech stuff is now mostly done and finished. Unfortunately, it did delay 0.4 more than I would have liked to, but maybe it will prove it's worth in the future. Or maybe I'll just silently drop it, who knows? (Wow, just fucking wow. If anyone wants to know, the first he mentioned of 3D tech stuff was in a post on December 23rd 2019, almost a year. Gotta say though, if it is so important and amazing, why has it been 3 years?)

November 29th 2020: (A tech bugtest update, not much going on in the first half of the post.)
Other than that, tweaking the final script and hunting down issues and typos is always going on. It's something I could do forever, but at some point, I'll just have to put it out. Hopefully soonish. (Looks like he really can do it forever. We'll see if he actually can put it out.)

December 30th 2020: The only real task still left is basically some script editing and other typo/bug hunting. (Another month, another script edit post. I'm starting to think this guy has a severe case of OCD and every single word must be perfect otherwise he throws out the entire script and writes it again.)
Gonna leave my copy/paste right here. Rest of the post is nothing.

January 30th 2021: Unlike the previous monthly updates, this will be a short one as the end and release 0.4 is finally in sight. (Every. Single. Post. Has been saying the release is in sight since November 2019. How fucking delusional can a person be? I'm serious. I've never seen this amount before.)
All content is now more or less ready, the only thing still in progress is editing, scripting and bug/typo hunting. (Its something I can do forever.....he sure is telling the truth this one time.)

February 27th 2021: Amazing, nothing in this post. Just him saying he's grinding out the last of 0.4.

March 30th 2021: Tech demo download. Nothing happening. An episode of The Real Housewives of Orange County is more exciting than this post.

April 29th 2021: All that is left to do now is grinding the final details and edits, boring and slow work for me. Still progressing, no matter how slowly. Better not to promise any explicit release dates for 0.4 yet, but if I had to guess, I would say more than one month, hopefully less than two. (Starting to think if he would not spend months on editing to make it the most perfect thing that has graced this planet it would have been released years ago.)

May 30th 2021: Not much to say at this point, the only thing left is finding enough time for the final polish and release. (Every. Fucking. Month.)

June 29th 2021: I'll have a solid four-week summer vacation in July (starting from 9th), so I should have plenty of time to finally finish release 0.4. I might as well take full advantage of it, so my guesstimate for 0.4 release is when my vacation ends, end of July/start of August. Previous holidays have always given a nice boost to my productivity. (A 0.00001% boost?)

July 30th 2021: Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Stencil should run for office. He can make posts that have walls of text but never actually say anything.

August 30th 2021: My vacation ended and the bad thing about trying to have a long vacation is that things can fall apart at work when you are gone. Nothing major, just the usual putting out fires. (Only interesting thing was this excuse.)

September 29th 2021: And at this point, I have so much content ready I could do it for years. So starting from October 1, I'll force myself to start publishing stuff here, hopefully at least a few times a week. :)FacePalm:)

October 30th 2021: The plan to continually post content didn't last long before it devolved into slow tinkering where I'm just endlessly rotating the 3D models while wasting time. (Wasting time is the most honest he has been in these posts.)

November 29th 2021: There is nothing major left to do anymore. (How many times have I posted this sentence so far?)
I'm probably going to give the script one more read-through and maybe hunt some typos, but that's about it. (Must have decided to scrap the script and redo it. Again. For the 10th time.)
Hopefully, we can start the year with a solid foundation forward and I can start picking up some more speed again after this death march of a release. Let's do our best! (Failed before you even got to the starting line.)

December 30th 2021: Literally nothing. Such a waste.

Pretty sure everyone is aware of the shit since January 2022. Won't post those. Damn, this has made me even more depressed over this shitshow. Just wanted to show some of the shit over the years.

OctoSky

Jun 29, 2017
It won't be marked as abandoned because the developer still posts updates about it.
Actually it should be but I think the reason why it hasn't is because no one has reported it. The mods have confirmed in another thread that if there is no update, regardless of posts on Patreon, it will be marked abandoned after 1.5 years or 18 months. So, if you feel that it is abandoned, go to the front page of this thread, click report and tell them.

Reactions: DarkMiros

fpsgamer

Nov 21, 2017
August 30th 2019: script for Alice's story is currently about 75% done and I should be able to finish the first draft during September. The 0.4 release target could be around November/December.

September 29th 2019: script is now ready. Currently, the planned release date is for November/December and the estimate probably gets more accurate as we get closer. (Still no excuses)

October 30th 2019: The progress has been steady and the script is now mostly complete. (Read above where it says script is now ready). Most of the backgrounds and 3D-scenes are also ready, so the most significant work is now done. The target for 0.4 release date is currently December, and the holidays should give me plenty of time to wrap things up. (Read the date again after reading that).

November 29th 2019: The work has now entered the last lap, and I should be soon able to estimate the final release date. (2019 and it has entered its last lap).
The original plan for the release was maybe somewhere in December, but I will be spending a few weeks elsewhere during the winter holidays, so I will have to push the release later to January. (Now the excuses have started since the post above this one says the holidays should give him plenty of time).

December 23rd 2019: The only critical stuff left is mostly scripting, some editing and other polishing. (If its the only stuff left does he add one letter to the scripting per day?).
I'll be back in early January and the final 0.4 release date should be at some point during January/February. After that, I'll experiment with a bit faster release cycle as mentioned in previous updates. (Uh huh)

January 30th 2020: I might be able to squeeze 0.4 release to February, but I'll probably want to polish it more. (By this point he has been using the polishing/editing and making visuals better excuse since November).

February 28th 2020: this month, I mostly spent my time polishing the story, adding scripting and other related stuff. (More polishing. If he spent this much time on polishing the story and polishing/editing visuals to make them better, than this release should be the greatest VN of all time).
the final release in April if everything goes well. (Still giving release dates).

March 30th 2020: The following news is pretty similar to my previous update post. (He wasn't lying. Its damn near a copy/paste update with a couple words changed).
When I had any free time, I mostly spent it polishing the story, adding scripting and other related stuff. (Greatest. VN. Ever.....of all time.)

April 29th 2020: Nothing, just a copy/paste post again with a few words changed. There was nothing new, just him telling us how he was working on a laptop and playing with Blender.

May 30th 2020: I'm finally back at my place and can work remotely from now on. This means I can start focusing my attention on finishing Offcuts 0.4 and Alice's storyline! (Think we can call Guinness world records and tell them we have someone that has the worlds shortest attention span).

June 29th 2020: started fully working on the new content once more. (Read date.)
At this point, most of the content is ready, but some tedious and boring stuff from script tweaking to editing is still left. (Also said in November that it has entered its last lap. 7 months later most of the content is ready. Oh! And more polishing. Now we know why it hasn't been released. He polished it too much and it exploded in his face.)

July 30th 2020: In related news, I'm also changing jobs in real life! (First changing job/moving excuse.)
Rest of the post is just crap thats been said since February.

August 30th 2020: The release target for 0.4 is the week between October 12 and 18. (Now he's getting into making release dates 2 months after the post instead of 1 month after).
Copy/paste in the rest of it. No news.

September 29th 2020: As a quick reminder, a quick technical test release should be out at some point between October 12 and 18. (Now its a quick technical test release but in August it was a release.)
Again, just copy/paste. No news after.

October 30th 2020: The end is near, and new 3D tech stuff promised for 0.4 is pretty much ready. (Another post saying this.)
Anyway, the tech stuff is now mostly done and finished. Unfortunately, it did delay 0.4 more than I would have liked to, but maybe it will prove it's worth in the future. Or maybe I'll just silently drop it, who knows? (Wow, just fucking wow. If anyone wants to know, the first he mentioned of 3D tech stuff was in a post on December 23rd 2019, almost a year. Gotta say though, if it is so important and amazing, why has it been 3 years?)

November 29th 2020: (A tech bugtest update, not much going on in the first half of the post.)
Other than that, tweaking the final script and hunting down issues and typos is always going on. It's something I could do forever, but at some point, I'll just have to put it out. Hopefully soonish. (Looks like he really can do it forever. We'll see if he actually can put it out.)

December 30th 2020: The only real task still left is basically some script editing and other typo/bug hunting. (Another month, another script edit post. I'm starting to think this guy has a severe case of OCD and every single word must be perfect otherwise he throws out the entire script and writes it again.)
Gonna leave my copy/paste right here. Rest of the post is nothing.

January 30th 2021: Unlike the previous monthly updates, this will be a short one as the end and release 0.4 is finally in sight. (Every. Single. Post. Has been saying the release is in sight since November 2019. How fucking delusional can a person be? I'm serious. I've never seen this amount before.)
All content is now more or less ready, the only thing still in progress is editing, scripting and bug/typo hunting. (Its something I can do forever.....he sure is telling the truth this one time.)

February 27th 2021: Amazing, nothing in this post. Just him saying he's grinding out the last of 0.4.

March 30th 2021: Tech demo download. Nothing happening. An episode of The Real Housewives of Orange County is more exciting than this post.

April 29th 2021: All that is left to do now is grinding the final details and edits, boring and slow work for me. Still progressing, no matter how slowly. Better not to promise any explicit release dates for 0.4 yet, but if I had to guess, I would say more than one month, hopefully less than two. (Starting to think if he would not spend months on editing to make it the most perfect thing that has graced this planet it would have been released years ago.)

May 30th 2021: Not much to say at this point, the only thing left is finding enough time for the final polish and release. (Every. Fucking. Month.)

June 29th 2021: I'll have a solid four-week summer vacation in July (starting from 9th), so I should have plenty of time to finally finish release 0.4. I might as well take full advantage of it, so my guesstimate for 0.4 release is when my vacation ends, end of July/start of August. Previous holidays have always given a nice boost to my productivity. (A 0.00001% boost?)

July 30th 2021: Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Stencil should run for office. He can make posts that have walls of text but never actually say anything.

August 30th 2021: My vacation ended and the bad thing about trying to have a long vacation is that things can fall apart at work when you are gone. Nothing major, just the usual putting out fires. (Only interesting thing was this excuse.)

September 29th 2021: And at this point, I have so much content ready I could do it for years. So starting from October 1, I'll force myself to start publishing stuff here, hopefully at least a few times a week. :)FacePalm:)

October 30th 2021: The plan to continually post content didn't last long before it devolved into slow tinkering where I'm just endlessly rotating the 3D models while wasting time. (Wasting time is the most honest he has been in these posts.)

November 29th 2021: There is nothing major left to do anymore. (How many times have I posted this sentence so far?)
I'm probably going to give the script one more read-through and maybe hunt some typos, but that's about it. (Must have decided to scrap the script and redo it. Again. For the 10th time.)
Hopefully, we can start the year with a solid foundation forward and I can start picking up some more speed again after this death march of a release. Let's do our best! (Failed before you even got to the starting line.)

December 30th 2021: Literally nothing. Such a waste.

Pretty sure everyone is aware of the shit since January 2022. Won't post those. Damn, this has made me even more depressed over this shitshow. Just wanted to show some of the shit over the years.
By this pace we might get half life 3, battlefied bad company 3 before this.

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
DarkDaemonX You can facepalm all you want, but it doesn't change anything.
- Stencilbit's last post on here was in 2018.
- On this very page there's a collection of 30 times where Stencilbits has postponed or made an excuse for the game's release.
- Even within the rules of this website, this game got way more leniency when it came to the "Abandoned" tag. The fact that the game got the tag shows that even the admins and mods think 3 years is too long.
- Stencilbits also mentioned at one point that they were looking to set the game up on Steam. Nevermind us, do you really think people on Steam would have let him go 3 years without a patch? Dude would've been banned, taken down or BadReview'd into oblivion long before it happened here.

You liked the game, great. So did we. But having gotten 30 months (probably more) of excuses and apologies, there's only so many times you can be lied to before you just walk away.

DarkDaemonX

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2020
DarkDaemonX You can facepalm all you want, but it doesn't change anything.
- Stencilbit's last post on here was in 2018.
- On this very page there's a collection of 30 times where Stencilbits has postponed or made an excuse for the game's release.
- Even within the rules of this website, this game got way more leniency when it came to the "Abandoned" tag. The fact that the game got the tag shows that even the admins and mods think 3 years is too long.
- Stencilbits also mentioned at one point that they were looking to set the game up on Steam. Nevermind us, do you really think people on Steam would have let him go 3 years without a patch? Dude would've been banned, taken down or BadReview'd into oblivion long before it happened here.

You liked the game, great. So did we. But having gotten 30 months (probably more) of excuses and apologies, there's only so many times you can be lied to before you just walk away.
At least I'll be here once the game gets an update, I'm not paying for anything, so why would I care how long it takes to get updated, and if you don't want to be here once it gets updated, it's your loss.

And for the record, I've seen incomplete games go without an update for much longer than 3 years on Steam, so no, he wouldn't have been banned or taken down, and giving a bad review just because the game hasn't been updated in a while is just childish, and shouldn't be allowed to be counted as a review.

NerfDis

Sep 8, 2017
⇑ Copium addict

A real shame it's now abandoned, the renders were really good (compared to many games around here) and the writing was, again, really good.

But 30 months without an update? Just tell the truth mister developer, you are not longer interested in making the game and thats fine. Just dont make up any excuses.

A promising game in the wrong time.

OctoSky

Jun 29, 2017
Why do I have this feeling in my gut that says he'll release a post on April 30th telling all of us that it will be another month (or decade) until the release.

I mean, just look at all the posts telling us it'll be this month, nope, this month, nope, rinse repeat. Seems pretty damn convenient that the one time he gives a "solid" (as solid as water after all the other dates) release date is the time his hardware has problems. 3 years, no problems, until that release date gets close.

aesir150

Jul 5, 2017
Either 3 things is going to happen.

1. We find out everything was lie and he hasn't made any progress at all and will delay infinitely.
2. He releases the game 0.4 and see it was all a lie and get a very basic sub par update that doesn't live up to the hype.
3. He releases the update and everything in the game is now animated and amazing justifies the 3 year wait.

Would say option 1 has 30% chance of happening, option 2 is probably 65% chance, and option 3 is a 5% chance.

Reactions: JohnAtu

DarkDaemonX

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2020
Either 3 things is going to happen.

1. We find out everything was lie and he hasn't made any progress at all and will delay infinitely.
2. He releases the game 0.4 and see it was all a lie and get a very basic sub par update that doesn't live up to the hype.
3. He releases the update and everything in the game is now animated and amazing justifies the 3 year wait.

Would say option 1 has 30% chance of happening, option 2 is probably 65% chance, and option 3 is a 5% chance.
Yeah, the only thing that justifies the long wait is if the entire game got a massive graphical overhaul with a lot more added scenes and a lot more endings for every route.

Holyyy

Dec 29, 2017
I'm pretty sad about this game being abandoned. I really liked it. At least there's a few completed routes.

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes