VN Ren'Py Abandoned Offcuts [v0.3.1] [stencilbits]

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes

aesir150

Jul 5, 2017
I don't know but that motion cap stuff is looking pretty bad. Awkward movement, uncanny valley plastic face, eyes don't move, no blinking, no facial expression. :oops:

But hey maybe we might get some control over the sex scenes now instead of them just being linear, that is if update 0.4 ever comes out lol. Seems like he is remaking the entire game and release version 4.0 rather than 0.4.

Motoko Kusanagi

Major
Donor
Aug 19, 2018
What a disgrace. Going from potentially one of the best games/stories on this site to absolute nothing. All for what? Three years of continuous procrastination? I just don't see the end game here. The "updates" keep going from "ready", "it's been done for a while now ", "it's finished" , " needs polishing a bit more" , "Next month". What's the point?

OctoSky

Jun 29, 2017
Why is dude remaking the whole game :ROFLMAO: the animations were fine we just wanted the story. He said the routes done now he's redoing old renders? Unbelievable. It's been 3 years, here's to 3 more.
Its been 3 years. He could tell us that he is working with NASA to help build colonies on Saturn. It doesn't matter. 31 months of "almost ready" is a crystal clear sign that this game is as dead as Julius Caesar.

I truly do feel bad for his patreons. He hasn't taken a dime since November 2019 but he has taken all of their hope for this to continue.

TGafy

May 14, 2020
Why would dev change the art now? The original style is what brought in the fan base that's continually getting disappointed (due to continued delays). Save that improved art for the next game that gets dragged out. At this point, he's feeling that his usual recycled excuses are getting stale so he found a 'legitimate' reason for more time. The current visuals are fine, it's the delays that are embarrassing.

markel1000

Oct 27, 2020

Unlocked
Monthly Update: Belly Dancing Edition

Another hot summer month is once again ending, which means it's time for the monthly update! Since last time I have worked mostly on tooling for creating better animations and updating some of the older ones. This includes good support for motion capture data, inverse kinematics and hair/cloth simulation. Putting them together in a stable way can be surprisingly tricky sometimes. I also wrote (and also used some existing) scripts for cleaning and generating correct data for generic human models with clothing etc. support. The video on the preview is one example of that. Alice is doing a slightly clumsy belly dancing routine that shows motion capture data working together with hair and skirt physics.
With all that pain behind me, I can now again focus better on finishing some of the old content for 0.4 and putting it out, hopefully soon. I'm not going to try another prediction here, but I'm happy enough with the state after I update some old videos and renders. Of course, some of the older visuals look pretty ugly and embarrassing to me now after years of more experience with this stuff, but I'll have to put the release out at some point. The next release will also use a completely new renderer with better visuals. I'll try to keep the stylized look somewhat, but there will probably be at least a slight "art shift" after 0.4.
And as always, I'm not going to take any Patreon payments until 0.4 is out (I'll temporarily suspend my Patreon at the end of each month until then).
The rest of the post is mostly copied from my previous updates for those who are new or want to be reminded of what will be coming next. See you in the next post, thanks for your support and patience!
--
So, TL;DR:
* Next release 0.4 will have Alice's full storyline.
* Some new tech in 0.4: interactive 3D and pre-rendered movies, at least a few of each. When I get the pipeline (and my skills) working smoothly, next releases should have more.
* After 0.4 I will try out a bit faster release schedule with partial updates instead of releasing large, complete routes that take ages to finish. We'll see how it goes.
* Steam release at some point after 0.4 is out. Steam has been pretty random with adult games, so who knows what can happen.
OH BROTHER THIS GUY STINKS jokes aside cyberpunk gonna be bugfree by the time this shit comes out

nzn

Aug 9, 2019
OH BROTHER THIS GUY STINKS jokes aside cyberpunk gonna be bugfree by the time this shit comes out
it's saying something that I don't know witch of these statements is more optimistic... I don't know what but it is saying something

Nov 23, 2020
This is just hopeless now. One of the things I loved about this game was the art style. The new art style in the animation sucks. In my mind I'm gonna consider the game "Completed", and not have my memories of this fine game spoilt by the dev.

Jul 31, 2018
Why would dev change the art now? The original style is what brought in the fan base that's continually getting disappointed (due to continued delays). Save that improved art for the next game that gets dragged out. At this point, he's feeling that his usual recycled excuses are getting stale so he found a 'legitimate' reason for more time. The current visuals are fine, it's the delays that are embarrassing.
Yeah I'm with this 100% no idea why they're doing this now.

iopq

Feb 16, 2018
If the camera wasn't set with a fixed anchor and he improves (literally does anything) to the face the animation is actually quite good all things considered. I'm still optimistic but wouldn't mind a more detailed update of what he is actually going for. Full fledged scenes, simple loops, etc. One relatively small 'scene' could be in the ballpark of 1500 hours (that's 2 months of pure work alone) regardless of experience.

The initial character pivoting animations added in on of the early updates didn't really add any value - they even feel like they detracted from the game a bit, so I'm curious to see if he's going to the trouble for facial animations or poses to covey body language for the 'update' to these.

Reactions: JohnAtu

aesir150

Jul 5, 2017
I once praised this game for it's uniqueness. Now it's become just another patreon scam :cry::cry:
How is it a Patreon scam when the developer is literally not taking any donation or any other favors? We can make fun of the empty promises and never ending delays and excuses. But when they are literally "working" (not sure if they are actually working on the game) for free and not asking for anything in return it just shows how either clueless you are or entitled you are.

Cesco

Jul 15, 2017
How is it a Patreon scam when the developer is literally not taking any donation or any other favors? We can make fun of the empty promises and never ending delays and excuses. But when they are literally "working" (not sure if they are actually working on the game) for free and not asking for anything in return it just shows how either clueless you are or entitled you are.
Ya got me there. Scam may be too strong a word to use. But at least I read the newsletters. Trying to incorporate motion capture in a dating sim is pretty wild.

Mucski

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2018
Oh this one is dead too? Damn. It always was slow to update so I put it aside that maybe one day I'll check on it, I guess the dev did the same

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes