VN Ren'Py Abandoned Offcuts [v0.3.1] [stencilbits]

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes

Motoko Kusanagi

Major
Donor
Aug 19, 2018
Pausing those payments each month has definitely earned him some respect from his patreons but even that will run out eventually. I doubt it will be a mass exodus when/if there is no update this year.
Pausing is the reason why I have not completely written off this game, however with that said. Three years and nothing but lame excuses is just poor taste. Think about it. August starts now, we still have no potential date or even a hint at one. Which means ALL of August will come and go again, Then end of August will have the same monthly drivel and onward to September.

AUG 30, 2021 AT 4:58 PM
"Release 0.4 is coming when I can kick all things together, the script and other resources are just large and complex enough that even small changes need testing and checking notes and those notes are starting to be big enough to be published as a book."

YESTERDAY AT 4:51 PM
" Another month goes by, which means it's time for another monthly update! The infamous Release Button has been pressed as as test and the raw build is almost a gigabyte in size. "

It's basically the same thing just worded differently. TESTING TESTING TESTING.

Jul 31, 2018
Just got off the phone with Stencilbits, his dog ate his hard drive. He also said and I quote:
“as always, I'm not going to take any Patreon payments until 0.4 is out (I'll temporarily suspend my Patreon at the end of each month until then).

The rest of the post is mostly copied from my previous updates for those who are new or want to be reminded of what will be coming next. See you in the next post, thanks for your support and patience!”

which was kinda weird but whateves.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I think if I wanted to pull a Thanos on this forum, and I would hack into stencilbits' account here and change the title to "v0-4-0". At least half of us would have a heart attack.
Dev already Thanos'd his PC that's why there has been no updates.

Can't salvage any data from the dust pile.

OctoSky

Jun 29, 2017
I'm just waiting for the day that Stencil posts that this was nothing but a social experiment to see how many people would stand beside someone that continuously promises but never delivers. Maybe he is writing a paper on the subject and we are all his guinea pigs.

Last edited:

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
Its everyone's favourite time of the month!

Lets see what excuse Stencilbits comes up with this month!

Because its the end of Summer, I'm going to go with something seasonal and saw that he was relaxing on a boat, enjoying the sea air when a great white shark attacked the boat. Even though he was able to mount a valiant defense against the animal, ultimately saving the boat, alas, the computer was damaged, so its going to be another month before he can release the game.

Reactions: JosephGratz1122

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Something something new animations, something something going to the testers.

Blah blah blah de blah and next time i'll chop the story into smaller parts so it takes 4 years worth of 5 minute portions which will piss you off even more because by the time we get to the end, you'll have forgot how it starts.

Etc etc etc and then we'll be going on Steam and this has taken me so long my info is now out dated to fuck but who cares it's copy pasta'd from 2019 anyway.

Waffle waffle and if any of my fans feel like defending me, make sure to keep using the same old excuse that I pause Patreon pledges because it's the only thing you can say to cover for the fact I have a dogshit work ethic. Really the only thing stopping me from charging you mugs lovely people every month is so they can't compare me to Icstor and Gumdrop. I get to have the worst work ethic on F95 and still have the moral high ground over those 2, go me.

Motoko Kusanagi

Major
Donor
Aug 19, 2018
New Update is Out.

AUGUST 26 AT 7:00 PM
Monthly Update: Feed Me A Stray Cat Edition

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah 3D Models Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Steam
Blah Blah Blah Blah 4th Vacation this year Blah Blah Blah Blah.

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah I Eat Children Blah Blah Blah Blah Alice Blah Blah Blah Blah.

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah 2025 Remaster Blah Blah Blah Blah Cat Pics Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah!? Blah Blah Blah Ape Nuts Blah Blah.

The rest of the post is mostly copied from my previous updates Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Hard Drives died again Blah Blah Blah

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah I am the Anti Christ Blah Blah Blah Balls.

Steam Edition.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Have to say, some of the comments on the Itch.io page are kinda hilariously savage.
The hilarious part is some of his more clueless fans seem to think this won't get a new anus ripped out of it on Steam.

I don't know if they use Steam or not but the people on there are brutal and it's not babied like this forum is. They are quite honest in their opinion and if a handful of people decide this is a scam they will make damn sure no one buys it and I can pretty much guarantee it's going to get review bombed.

That place is savage towards devs with shit work ethics like this one.

Go 3 years without updating on there or trickle nonsense updates out like he has planned and we may as well sit back and watch the verbal enema he's going to get.

If this dev went to Steam with his development process like it is now then they will nail his balls to the ball.

OctoSky

Jun 29, 2017
I Eat Children
That got me. I burst out laughing from that.

on Steam.
Be honest. Do you or anyone else in this thread see this ever actually making it to Steam? I say no, 100%.

Maybe this month Stencil was able to master the art of clicking a mouse button. Now we have to wait 3 years for him to master the ability to use his eyes to see the "release build" button. 3 more years to master the ability to move the cursor to that button. 3 years to master clicking said button.

Good news everyone! Using math I've calculated the year of the release date: 2031. Now we wait.

aesir150

Jul 5, 2017

Unlocked
Monthly Update: A model model Edition
August is ending, which means it's time for the traditional monthly update! During the last update, I was experimenting with some final touches, including trying to get the final file size down a bit, which worked pretty well. This involved playing with video compression levels and up/downscaling for video, which was pretty easy. A more complex task was comparing the good old gzip data compression to some more modern ones, including trying some pretty format-specific to just using zstandard. Combined, they easily reduce the data size by hundreds of megabytes, depending on how the settings are adjusted for size vs. performance.
That was pretty much the last issue I had on my TODO list, nothing is really blocking the release anymore. I'll try to find some good time slot to push out a final test release at some point during September for people to try to dig out any technical issues. The previous test releases were very helpful in digging out some bugs in the new tech stuff. I'll probably include a good section of the new 0.4 storyline in that test release, so people might be a bit more motivated to try it out. Other than that, no more news (which is good news).
And as always, I'm not going to take any Patreon payments until 0.4 is out (I'll temporarily suspend my Patreon at the end of each month until then).
The rest of the post is mostly copied from my previous updates for those who are new or want to be reminded of what will be coming next. See you in the next post, thanks for your support and patience!
--
So, TL;DR:
* Next release 0.4 will have Alice's full storyline.
* Some new tech in 0.4: interactive 3D and pre-rendered movies, at least a few of each. When I get the pipeline (and my skills) working smoothly, next releases should have more.
* After 0.4 I will try out a bit faster release schedule with partial updates instead of releasing large, complete routes that take ages to finish. We'll see how it goes.
* Steam release at some point after 0.4 is out. Steam has been pretty random with adult games, so who knows what can happen.

Reactions: Pharos2

aesir150

Jul 5, 2017
The previous test releases were very helpful in digging out some bugs in the new tech stuff. I'll probably include a good section of the new 0.4 storyline in that test release, so people might be a bit more motivated to try it out. Other than that, no more news (which is good news).
I am suspicious on why he doesn't include the entire 0.4 chapter in his QA testing?

Reactions: JosephGratz1122
4.80 star(s) 77 Votes