VN Ren'Py Abandoned Offcuts [v0.3.1] [stencilbits]

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes

flastus

Nov 5, 2020
The update is ready, but in his spare time the dev's been doing a PhD thesis on retrocausality, and a future update of the game corrupted the updates back in time, such that the game now requires desktop quantum computing. He's going to work on forking the timeline to resolve this issue, and possibly get ready for a Steam release, but we all know how Steam is, so who knows.

JohnF95zone

Engaged Member
Oct 31, 2017
I am really not impressed with stencilbits personally preparing the monthly Patreon posts, instead he should have asked ChatGPT to wrote them. The hint that he prepared the posts on his own accord is that the posts contains typos ( which ChatGPT doesn't by default ).

Anyway, below is what ChatGPT predicted the next monthly update post will be:p ( based on the February 2023 post ):
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Below is what ChatGPT claims to know about this game :ROFLMAO::
Just for fun, this is what happened when I asked ChatGPT to include typos in the predicted monthly update post:

SpikyHair

Nov 13, 2019
Okay, we've about a week until the new update/excuse comes out. This time I'm going for he got a new puppy, but the puppy chewed the hard drive as he had taken it out to clean it. Once he digitized the puppy, he was able to recover the files but its going to be delayed another month.

The puppy is still digitized.

He just wants walkies.
This is an absurd of a take.

Obviously Stencilbits is working on new tech to ensure proper tail wags animations before he can release the update.

markel1000

Oct 27, 2020
Update is ready but dev went back in time to redo each release. once that finished he will find a window to release 0.4. Remember he will pause patreon till 0.4 release and more copy and paste bullshit.

TGafy

May 14, 2020
If I was Stencil I'd totally do it on april 1st
I can actually see this one happening. It drops on April 1st, it fails due to something out of his control, he has to pull the release and go back to the drawing board to figure out what went "wrong", and it ends up taking another year to fix and release (on the next April 1st (something breaks again(enter cycle))). :LUL:

Reactions: okokok

Techno11244

Mar 27, 2023
Why is the windows version on the post the compressed version? It has the same file size as the compressed version

Techno11244

Mar 27, 2023
December 13 2019 patreon blog post
This month's update comes early as I will be on vacation for a few weeks, as some people might have already heard on Discord or in previous updates. Due to this (and busy end of the year at work), I will suspend the next Patreon payment (January 1), so you all get a freebie month! Still, thanks to everyone for their support as always!
Other than that, 0.4 release with Alice's story is steadily approaching. The only critical stuff left is mostly scripting, some editing and other polishing. Still, I'll try to cram as much new and experimental stuff into the release as possible. This includes some videos and 3D content, and we'll see how much of it eventually makes it into the release.
I'll be back in early January and the final 0.4 release date should be at some point during January/February 2030. After that, I'll experiment with a bit faster release cycle as mentioned in previous updates and we'll see how it goes. Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in advance!
I haven't played the game yet, but seeing how much people are making fun of the dev on itch and here, I wanted to look more into it. You all didn't lie about the recurring themes, if this dev is not pulling a YanDev then they are in hell.

Every monthly update post after this then mentions the word "suspend", as in suspending their patreon. Latest few updates talk about scripting, he's been working on the script for that long? Many mentions of polishing or revising the script, has probably reread the script 100 times over. At least he got the release date right... I 100% did not add that in there.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Every monthly update post after this then mentions the word "suspend", as in suspending their patreon. Latest few updates talk about scripting, he's been working on the script for that long? Many mentions of polishing or revising the script, has probably reread the script 100 times over. At least he got the release date right... I 100% did not add that in there.
The story so far.

From the games original launch every update after has taken longer.

Leading up to Christmas 2019 the dev was saying it was nearly ready. If you go back to then I was the first to say it would not launch before Christmas. Back then a few of Stencils cheer squad facepalmed me and disagreed.

Roll on to January 2020 and the dev saying the game was nearly ready and would be launching soon. More people joined in saying it wouldn't be ready, by now we'd started noticing a pattern in Stencils updates and could smell the bullshittery through our monitors it was that strong. Still, the cheer squad remained. By now they had begun the chant of the one and only point of defense they had "he pauses his Patron, he pauses his Patron, he pauses his Patron" .... literally their only retort was the pausing of the Patron and the dev not doing this for money. Nevermind the devs pathetic work ethic, the fact he does nothing and doesn't charge while lying to everyone means we should somehow cut him a break .... I thinketh not.

Summer 2020, it was nearly ready again ....... don't need me telling you it wasn't considering we're still waiting in the lead up to Summer 2023.

Anywhooo....

Every month has been one excuse or another followed by a bit of copy pasta about what 0.4 will contain and how Steam has been iffy with adult games lately even though they haven't been iffy with them for about 2 years now.

The one constant I can point out and the only thing I say with absolutely no humour behind it is this dev is not cut out for Steam. He wouldn't know a regular update schedule if it bent him over a barrel and butt fucked him dry. Steam users are notorious for fucking over devs that they believe has even remotely entered scam territory and no update on that platform for this kind of length would see him review bombed and reported until Steam were forced to remove it from sale just to shut us up. I've seen it happen enough times, i've been part of it and i'd be the first to warn people not to give him any money until it sees completion which I honestly don't think it ever will.

IF and that's a big if, Alice's story ever does come out, I can't see any others being finished. He just doesn't have the work ethic or the drive.

He is, without a doubt, the laziest dev i've ever seen and the only thing stopping him being named alongside Gumdrop and Icstor is the fact he pauses his Patreon but he does absolutely belong on that list with them.

The truly sad part, and i've said this before, is this should be one of the top games on the the site. The characters are great, the story is decent and the romances plots all work really well.

Most games that fail do so because the dev released a shit game that people didn't like.

This is a good game people love held back by a terrible dev.

Techno11244

Mar 27, 2023
He wouldn't know a regular update schedule if it bent him over a barrel and butt fucked him dry.
He did knowledge that after 0.4, he needs to get used to releasing smaller and more regular updates (In one of the recent updates). Hopefully that means he'll get into the habit of making more updates or having a better work ethic. To the very least, he can still learn to become better at it.
Unless he's insane enough to let story repeat itself for 0.5

I also noticed that he's putting priority on other things in his life and this is not his main job, which is fine but he's not very transparent or realistic about it. He just keeps his fans hooked regardless of how frustrating this waiting around can be. Taking in mind, you all are only frustrated because these are the expectations he set. He said he would not provide planned release dates anymore, but it's too late now, and he's not transparent about his situation.
(edit: He 100% works at a game dev company, making that his priority and the game he's mainly working on. His contributions to Godot might be a sign they are losing interest in this game, but it's not a definitive sign)

The truly sad part, and i've said this before, is this should be one of the top games on the the site.
I agree, the main reason I put this on my "soon to play list", which is just a folder on my phone filled with apks... it's because this game stood out among the others on this site when sorted by ratings, views, or likes. I like the art style and what it's presenting.

Last edited:

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
He did knowledge that after 0.4, he needs to get used to releasing smaller and more regular updates (In one of the recent updates). Hopefully that means he'll get into the habit of making more updates or having a better work ethic. To the very least, he can still learning to become better at it.
Unless he's insane enough to let story repeat itself for 0.5
I can understand that you want to defend Stencilbits, after all, its human nature to want to stand up for someone when you don't know the whole story.

But lets be honest.

It has been 4 years since his last actual update to the game. Never mind what he posts on Patreon.

4 years.

The last time Stencilbits was actually on the forum? 2018.

The last time Stencilbits used twitter? December 2019.

Since September 2019, we have had 43 monthly updates promising the update was almost done. 43. Forty three. That's nearly 4 years of the same old spiel.

So yeah, he hasn't learned anything.

If he came out and said "Folks, I thought I could do this game, but I can't. I'm sorry that I've lead you on this for so long, there's no excuse." most of us wouldn't have a problem. But its the 4 years of lies that is so annoying. And they are lies. So I think I'm just going to leave it there.

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes