VN Ren'Py Abandoned Offcuts [v0.3.1] [stencilbits]

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes

drpavelcia

Aug 19, 2018
One of the things I noticed that makes this game really unique that I really like is James, unlike most secondary male characters in the games we have here, he's actually fleshed out, and the banter he and Cole have is a lot like the way I would talk to a lot of my friends in real life. It's nice to see that much put into even other characters like that, instead of most other male side characters being either flat one-note characters or plain assholes.

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
One of the things I noticed that makes this game really unique that I really like is James, unlike most secondary male characters in the games we have here, he's actually fleshed out, and the banter he and Cole have is a lot like the way I would talk to a lot of my friends in real life. It's nice to see that much put into even other characters like that, instead of most other male side characters being either flat one-note characters or plain assholes.
James is probably the best male side character I've come across in adult visual novels.
Especially in Melissa's path, his role is amazing.

McWoodz

Oct 28, 2018
James is probably the best male side character I've come across in adult visual novels.
Fair but the competition's not exactly fierce. If i was to count all the male side characters i like on one hand i'd probably have a coupla fingers left over.

• Haha
Reactions: Namco15 and joecoe

Fantabaldu

The Pirate King
Donor
Feb 19, 2019

As I have previously mentioned, I have been experimenting with interactive 3D scene rendering. The video shows what is currently possible to do using the system I have been developing. Basically, instead of just rendering a static image, it's now also possible to export the whole scene from Blender and render it interactively inside Ren'Py. In the video, you can also see very basic hair simulation and boob-physics. It also supports facial expressions (smile, frown, etc.), posing and animations. The visuals are not that great yet as the renderer I wrote is a pretty quick-and-dirty version with no fancy features. It can be improved or maybe even replaced with a proper, fully-featured renderer (maybe with virtual reality support).
There are plenty of nice things that 3D can provide, but also some disadvantages. I'll list some of them here.
Advantages:
-Interactivity is just cool. Moving things tend to be much more interesting than simple, static images.
-Different camera angles, poses and expressions are easy to do. No need to render separate images for all combinations.
-Pretty easy to do, it only takes a few clicks to export a typical scene and maybe ten minutes of extra work (for now).
-Animations can also be exported, so instead of using pre-rendered video files it's possible to add some interactivity, different point of views, free look etc. This could actually save some disk space as hi-quality videos can get pretty big.
-Interactive headpats and hair ruffling. And other grabby stuff.
Disadvantages:
-Interactive visual quality tends to be lower than in static images as the interactive rendering should be fast (preferably 30-60 fps). Static images can take hours to render and post-process so the quality tends to be a lot better. Still, the demo interactive renderer can be improved significantly.
-3D scenes require much more from CPU and GPU. Ren'Py is not really designed for this kind of stuff and the performance of the RenPy's scripting language (Python) is starting to limit things a bit. Static fallback images can be used by those who have slow/old computers.
-3D content takes much more disk space (estimated maybe 5-15 times more than static images). A typical 1280x720 static .jpg image takes around 0.2 megabytes and some of the scene backgrounds use additional metadata which pushes the image size to around 1.5 MB. In contrast, the 3D scene in the video takes about 11 MBs (compressed) but it also uses large 4K textures which can be made a lot smaller (although quality will suffer a bit). Also, some model geometry and textures can be re-used in multiple scenes which will also help.
-3D content used for interactive rendering sometimes requires a different license which tend to be much more expensive. An outfit might cost 5-20$, but the interactive licenses tend to be around 25-50$ and they add up quickly as each character needs multiple sets of clothing.
So, what do you think? Are you interested in seeing more interactive stuff? I might do a poll about this later to see what people think.

robert ash

Jun 23, 2018
Saw a link and had a look at the game. Sorry but I can't play a game where the anatomy is wrong. The vagina is NOT there! liked the ladies though.

pothb

Jan 28, 2018
Yea I kinda agree. The switch in story focus was kinda meh.
Still, humor's nice. Though the game is a bit too wordy for me, that around halfway I started skipping unless a decision shows up.

Adrwen

Mar 10, 2019
What's with Amy's Path beginning ? Why does Cole acts like the absolute douchebag ? He seemed kind of nice in the other paths...

Nina & Melissa Path were really interesting. Really good narrative job !

Visual job is also really nice ! Too bad the shader effect is fucked up for me.

Reactions: McWoodz

troll822

Jun 22, 2017
Ivan is the best male side character!

Also, James has a large role in all the paths since he's instrumental in saving Cole from whatever pit he finds himself in. It is also organic and not forced on why James shows up and why he takes notice of Cole - since he's Melissa's bodyguard.

What's with Amy's Path beginning ? Why does Cole acts like the absolute douchebag ? He seemed kind of nice in the other paths...

Nina & Melissa Path were really interesting. Really good narrative job !

Visual job is also really nice ! Too bad the shader effect is fucked up for me.
To be fair, Melissa's my favorite despite some problems with the text (how many times should we be told that she can't get herself off as if it was the first time?).
But that's not only because Melissa has clear feelings for Cole from the very beginning and is funny as hell, but also because I like Melissa and I like tsunderes.

Amy's path was more polished, but I found it less interesting mostly because Amy is sweet and shy and cuddly which is fine, and I enjoyed it but ... I preferred the other two.

Reactions: Freezer14

Nauzhror

Jul 16, 2018
The game probably doesn't need to ask the shader question at the start.

I can't imagine what PC someone could be using that would be too weak to handle it. It literally works on a laptop I have from over a decade ago that has a Core 2 Duo Penryn P8400 @ 2.27 GHz, 4 GB DDR2, and a NVIDIA 9200M GS. A 9200M GS is significantly weaker than a modern integrated intel GPU.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Do not mock the power of dedicated video;)!!!
Games make checks on the dedicated video and may not run if no dedicated video is found;)!

Nauzhror

Jul 16, 2018
I can't feel sorry for them. This has got to be about the dumbest reservation to have in regards to games. Used to be in most games you played a fixed character, if not then you were just a blorb without a face and name to you.
If you can't play games where you can't name the MC then you are already very, very spoiled.

I agree 100%. Feeling sorry for someone who claims they can't play games with named protagonists is akin to feeling sorry for someone who claims their delicate palette can only allow them to eat steak & lobster, or that they can only drink $1,000 bottles of Scotch.

Being pretentious and spoiled does not earn you sympathy.

Reactions: botc76

ssj782

Engaged Member
Apr 19, 2019
So how long is the game, currently?
Also, are the preview pics not in-game? I saw several posts in the last few pages that say we only get 4 of the girls in the trailer (Kate, Alice, Helen, and Jane) , yet the preview images show Nina and Amy in obvious sexual scenes.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
A lot of commissions and perks rendered for them supporters ...
Dev now has game rendering live action engine and is not afraid to use it for all the teasers;)!

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes