baconsmoke

Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
With the 0.11 release we're about 75% of the way through to the end. Rough estimate is On Distant Shores will be wrapped up around summer of next year. I'll take a short break to prevent burnout. Then I'll begin working on my next visual novel (if there's enough people interested out there).

If anyone likes stats: With the release of 0.11 I have hit the 240,000 word mark. So, length-wise it's well passed Fellowship of the Ring (177,000 words). By the time I'm done I should pass the word count of Game of Thrones or Eye of the World (around 300,000 words). In size I mean. Not in quality of course. So, for those of you who've thought, "This is one seriously wordy MFer". You would be correct.

The story so far for On Distant Shores:
~240,000 words
~5800 rendered images
~120 animations

I've been working on this game since June 2019 (over 3 years).
Considering I put in about 30 hours a week, I've hit around 5000 hours of total development/writing time.
I was finally brave (stupid?) enough to release it to the world in August of 2021.

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
OK sounds good, so what will the next game be about, something um, more cheerful maybe?.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
With the 0.11 release we're about 75% of the way through to the end. Rough estimate is On Distant Shores will be wrapped up around summer of next year. I'll take a short break to prevent burnout. Then I'll begin working on my next visual novel (if there's enough people interested out there).

If anyone likes stats: With the release of 0.11 I have hit the 240,000 word mark. So, length-wise it's well passed Fellowship of the Ring (177,000 words). By the time I'm done I should pass the word count of Game of Thrones or Eye of the World (around 300,000 words). In size I mean. Not in quality of course. So, for those of you who've thought, "This is one seriously wordy MFer". You would be correct.

The story so far for On Distant Shores:
~240,000 words
~5800 rendered images
~120 animations

I've been working on this game since June 2019 (over 3 years).
Considering I put in about 30 hours a week, I've hit around 5000 hours of total development/writing time.
I was finally brave (stupid?) enough to release it to the world in August of 2021.
OK sounds good, so what will the next game be about, something um, more cheerful maybe?.
Yes, I agree. I love this game and think you've done a great job. Given that you mentioned burnout (which obviously can come regardless), maybe changing the tone of the next game would give you a welcome break in addition to the actual break you'll be taking. I'd like to think you'll keep going for a long time yet and hopefully pick up steam in supporters as well.

Reactions: Havik79

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
I would still give your next game ago, but some of the MC's shit hits home a little too hard if you know what I mean.

ramvivat

Engaged Member
Jun 28, 2022
How is Tolkien? "Ask the elves for advice - in return you will receive YES and NO" (sorry, I read Tolkien in Russian translation, perhaps the original phrase was different)
In other words, you never know what's around the corner. do what you must and come what may.

Reactions: dpasta11

ramvivat

Engaged Member
Jun 28, 2022
I would still give your next game ago, but some of the MC's shit hits home a little too hard if you know what I mean.
in the game, the creator of the universe first created, and when he realized what he had done, he fled from his creation. he did not change anything - his hand did not rise to change what he gave birth to - he could completely ruin everything.

authorship is a heavy burden. the author is pregnant with his idea. you can’t just take and change something in the creation of the author. yes, you can pee with boiling water or shit with bricks from the author's creation - but it won't change anything. (God, how I sympathize with Karabinek - from his "Reunion" some people are bombarded by the plot not childishly - I'm one of those, but on the other hand, I understand that this is his work - it infuriates me, but nothing can be changed in it, as it were I didn't want to, but desperately)

you know, comrade, books have one wonderful property - if you don’t like what books say, you can Slam them and put them on the far shelf, showing them your nose - this is a kind of revenge for them - they silently scream about something about their own , but you do not hear them and are happy.

I hope I understood the concepts.

baconsmoke

Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
I haven't decided on the next VN I'll do yet. I have four different rough story arcs drawn out.

I will say that whichever way I go it will be far less "big" in scope. ODS deals with a lot of heavy religious/philosophical themes, a ridiculous number of love interests, some very depressing psychological issues and the story scope is dealing with things on the cosmological scale. I have no idea what I was thinking by trying to stuff all that into a single story. Especially my first one.

The next one will be a smaller story setting, with fewer but far more developed characters. And will definitely be less depressing then ODS. Each of the four storylines still dig into some interesting themes. I'm not suddenly going to stop exploring concepts that interest me. They'll just be more concise and hopefully a lot of fun to play.

dpasta11

Oct 27, 2020
How is Tolkien? "Ask the elves for advice - in return you will receive YES and NO" (sorry, I read Tolkien in Russian translation, perhaps the original phrase was different)
In other words, you never know what's around the corner. do what you must and come what may.
Your reading of Tolkien has the gist of it. I believe in English (if I recall correctly) it is "and they will say both yes and no." BTW I like the tag line in your posts. It accurately captures the psychological meaning of "projection."

Reactions: ramvivat

ramvivat

Engaged Member
Jun 28, 2022
I don't understand anything! downloaded. installed. loaded a save on the stage where Estri is talking to Ubel. - everything is the same as in version 0.10... but where is the content from 0.11? a new day has NOT come - I was thrown into the main menu ...

yes, all this would not matter if the decompile.rpy script ran normally - but no! the author, the cunning one, was wise and this script does not start! Or is it the way it was intended, the save does not work and you need to go through the game again?

Last edited:

Porthas

Feb 26, 2021
I haven't decided on the next VN I'll do yet. I have four different rough story arcs drawn out.

I will say that whichever way I go it will be far less "big" in scope. ODS deals with a lot of heavy religious/philosophical themes, a ridiculous number of love interests, some very depressing psychological issues and the story scope is dealing with things on the cosmological scale. I have no idea what I was thinking by trying to stuff all that into a single story. Especially my first one.

The next one will be a smaller story setting, with fewer but far more developed characters. And will definitely be less depressing then ODS. Each of the four storylines still dig into some interesting themes. I'm not suddenly going to stop exploring concepts that interest me. They'll just be more concise and hopefully a lot of fun to play.
Well so far, I'm enjoying this current VN you're developing. I like the scope but yeah, I can see your point. Looking forward to your future projects.

baconsmoke

Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
I don't understand anything! downloaded. installed. loaded a save on the stage where Estri is talking to Ubel. - everything is the same as in version 0.10... but where is the content from 0.11? a new day has NOT come - I was thrown into the main menu ...

yes, all this would not matter if the decompile.rpy script ran normally - but no! the author, the cunning one, was wise and this script does not start! Or is it the way it was intended, the save does not work and you need to go through the game again?
Hi ramvivat. Can you tell me two things. One which version you are playing (Windows, Android, MAC or Linux)? And two, can you tell me which link you used to download the game? I will check and make sure the link has the proper 0.11 version of the game.

Jan 18, 2020
just reading it I liked it and I'm downloading it now I hope the developer of this game has the beginning and the end of this excellent work and doesn't do like most game creators here on this site who start a game and then abandon it This is sad even more when it is a wonderful game i will play i intend to support it in the future probably in a month or two my language is not english i'm using google translate and i don't know how to write properly but that's it

ramvivat

Engaged Member
Jun 28, 2022
Hi ramvivat. Can you tell me two things. One which version you are playing (Windows, Android, MAC or Linux)? And two, can you tell me which link you used to download the game? I will check and make sure the link has the proper 0.11 version of the game.
system win7pro64 mega link from 1-st page
ooops...
everything is working. my mistake. overlooked. I unpacked the game to another folder and it worked. the save loaded and day 34 began. I already play =)
thanks again for the update.

killtheraven

Sep 17, 2019
What's the structure of this game? The OP describes it as a VN and mentions content for specific days, but it's tagged as a sandbox.

ramvivat

Engaged Member
Jun 28, 2022
What's the structure of this game? The OP describes it as a VN and mentions content for specific days, but it's tagged as a sandbox.
well maybe sandbox - is a for new apartament where all harem girls is live.
maybe...
but other game - yes, not a sandbox.

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
Yeah, when you are at home, you basically have free roam, you can pick in which order you work on your PC, make calls, and text messages, so far that is all there is, there is NO grind at all, no mindless clicking around trying to find shit, no missing out on something because you didn't do X at Y point in time.

Vasy

Mar 21, 2017
I got a scene with Violet despite my MC having turned her down. Opened the variable viewer and the relationship definitely seems like it should've been inactive.

Reactions: WuzzyFuzzy

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Why would anyone play a game where MC is set to ”get all the girls”:
locked+loaded+throbbing+deafening+allencompassing and wholesomely
hard coded into every pore o it, then throw fits about getting all the girls?
This game has a story where MC is the object of utter and unquenched
deep primordial unfathomable desire to hold + cuddle and love for all the girls. That is the
very premise of this game - girls throwing themselves at MC as often as demons killing him,
because MC is the last hope of this whole planet to continue to exist. Period.

There are some hints.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but how do you save, skip, and load your game on the android version? I can't find any quick menu options like most other android ports.

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
What is the big deal when we mention about him taking the name Elohim

4.30 star(s) 76 Votes