espinetus

Jun 9, 2017
Caribdis

Hi, I'm wondering if your handle is a reference to "Karybdus" the necromancer from the Diablo novels?

Just curious because I love the series and always thought that was such a dope name.
Probably this "Karybdus", and for sure the author's handle, are references to a monster from the Odyssey. Caribdis is the Spanish spelling so maybe the author is a Spanish speaker fond of Greek mythology.

Reactions: jimstorm

Caribdis

Game Developer
Sep 22, 2018
Probably this "Karybdus", and for sure the author's handle, are references to a monster from the Odyssey. Caribdis is the Spanish spelling so maybe the author is a Spanish speaker fond of Greek mythology.
That's correct :BootyTime: (Scylla and Charybdis)

Reactions: jimstorm

zerdeca

Jun 15, 2017
Will the next update be the last update for the game?
The next update (0.10) will finish the main story but there will still be an epilogue update after that (along with possible bug fixes and improvements) which will finish the game. I think Caribdis said on the Discord that the epilogue for Once in a Lifetime will come after the first update of his next game (Eternum) but I might be misremembering that part

Ero - Sennin

May 18, 2017
Sounds like Caribdis was inspired by the movie "Ready Player One." :p
View attachment 1100092
While I'm an MMO vet of 1000s of hrs, I was not particularly fond of that movie. It really takes a gamer to write a story about a game and Spielberg, I believe, wasn't really one. However, judging by stuff like the cosplay party in OiaL, I think Caribdis cleary is and there's a tonne of situational slapstick from DPSs LFG :HideThePain: to struggling with loot encumbrance that a gamer would recognize, so I'd say the setting provides for all sorts of hi-jinks, jokes, shenanigans and dark turns that should suit Carib's style to a T.

Waitaminit, did I just say that Caribdis would do a better job than Spielberg?? :eek::ROFLMAO:

I hear you but MotH was a straight up ladder grind (Watch laptop together 5 times to get a HJ, get 5 HJs to get a BJ, 5 BJs to get Vag etc.) Can't really evaluate someone's story crafting skills when he's just applying a formula.

IMO Carib has shown that he's:
- Versatile: Can do Horror, comedy, mystery and of course lewd scenes
- Attention to detail: e.g. Sfx like footsteps and knocking = common place, Sfx like the Shishi-Odoshi at the temple or the radio tuner in the van = extra mile (IMO)
- Skilled editing: e.g. Jump cut comedy (ala FitJack vs Coca Cola) is very hard to pull off in a VN format. There's only 2 other devs that I've seen that can pull it off.
- Knows the tropes and uses them well. e.g. The trope of feet-to-butt-to-boobs-to-head panning shot when a LI is introduced in adult games? I found it hilarious when Carib used that in parody; going from snakeskin shoes-to-70s suit-to the shades...on the the face of Stabby Mike :KEK: during the Yakuza meeting clan entrance.
- Can control story pacing: After the story foundation and world building, we've been knocking down about 1 Son per chapter, no unneeded fluff and padding.

So I'm going to remain optimistic and am very much looking forward to both OiaL 1.0 & Eternum 0.1 :D
I just hope that in Eternum , LI are from real world not from the VR game because were already in the real world and our LI are from the game

Reactions: Darkmetal

hbalchiz

Mar 2, 2021
Guys any fix on how to go Jasmine's path? After the scene where the player told Jasmine that he is not gonna go to the party, it said that the path was lost. I Played the game all over again still can't get it to fix. Can anyone help me with this?

hbalchiz

Mar 2, 2021
Guys any fix on how to go Jasmine's path? After the scene where the player told Jasmine that he is not gonna go to the party, it said that the path was lost. I Played the game all over again still can't get it to fix. Can anyone help me with this?
Guys thanks for the help, I already fixed it.

Doni94

Dec 29, 2018
promo.png

" You’re moving with your best friend to the city of Kredon, home to some of the best schools and universities of the country, to continue your studies. However, in Kredon, as everywhere else, there’s only one thing to talk about: ETERNUM. The virtual hyper-reality MMORPG game that was released a year ago, and revolutionized the world of technology. With a neural implant that recreates the five senses, it becomes impossible to distinguish between the game and the real world. Thousands of servers form the network of Eternum: from colourful fantasy worlds where magic exists to foggy sci-fi cities and simulators of all kinds. Nevertheless, rumor has it that there's a darker side behind this pretty facade. Black market, torture, rape, illegal content trafficking, unlawful assemblies, data theft… In Eternum, everything abides by its own law. However, for some reason, the governments stand aside. There’s no regulation. There’s no control. Some say it’s because it’s highly addictive, some say it’s because it moves tens of millions of dollars every day, some say those in power have been bribed, and some say… there’s something else. And you? What’s your role in this story? Well... That’s up to you now."

Man the new game concept looks promising, So it´s gonna be a SCIFI Cyberpunk style with may lead to great visuals. While I can´t wait to see what´s coming next after Once in a Lifetime I don´t want to say goodbye to Lauren and the girls :cry:

Last edited:

Hazeti

Jan 19, 2020
I will be honest in saying that I avoided games with honey select models mostly because of my own shallowness after being spoiled by the eye candy provided by the DAZ character models BUT man am I glad I decided to give this a go after a recommendation , I don't recall the last time I had this much fun in playing through a AVN

It ticks the checkbox for everything that I look for in these games

An interesting plot
Likeable characters
Superb lewd scenes
Great humour
The gallery feature

I also loved how much attention the dev gave to the sound implementation , the abandoned hospital section perfectly highlights this

It's sad that it's coming to an end but at the same time i am super excited for the next game Caribdis is working on and wish them the best of luck for it

1tomadeira

Engaged Member
May 25, 2017
View attachment 1116893

" You’re moving with your best friend to the city of Kredon, home to some of the best schools and universities of the country, to continue your studies. However, in Kredon, as everywhere else, there’s only one thing to talk about: ETERNUM. The virtual hyper-reality MMORPG game that was released a year ago, and revolutionized the world of technology. With a neural implant that recreates the five senses, it becomes impossible to distinguish between the game and the real world. Thousands of servers form the network of Eternum: from colourful fantasy worlds where magic exists to foggy sci-fi cities and simulators of all kinds. Nevertheless, rumor has it that there's a darker side behind this pretty facade. Black market, torture, rape, illegal content trafficking, unlawful assemblies, data theft… In Eternum, everything abides by its own law. However, for some reason, the governments stand aside. There’s no regulation. There’s no control. Some say it’s because it’s highly addictive, some say it’s because it moves tens of millions of dollars every day, some say those in power have been bribed, and some say… there’s something else. And you? What’s your role in this story? Well... That’s up to you now."

Man the new game concept looks promising, So it´s gonna be a SCIFI Cyberpunk style with may lead to great visuals. While I can´t wait to see what´s coming next after Once in a Lifetime I don´t want to say goodbye to Lauren and the girls :cry:
For some reason this makes me remind of Sword Art Online lol. Will be fun to finally have that premise with actually good story and without fanservice destroying the base dialogue. Take your eyes into this, Mr Reki Kawahara.

I also have faith of actually having a protagonist with some personality. And most girls too, except Asuna which is actually good things on SAO. And I don't mean it by her gorgeous figure, but because she actually has personality. Looking forward for that, specially if the MC finds friends/classmates/family on the game.

One thing I didn't like SAO (and I didn't even finish the series because of it), was the waste of premise. The first episode (and maybe second as well) actually does a great work of developing that feeling of being "trapped", of terror that a mistake in game can cost your life. While I don't expect a full terror game, if the direction of the game I hope that feel when playing the game remains there. That's why I liked Asuna as I mentioned above, since while the MC was OP as fuck, Asuna actually gave human emotions towards the series. After all, the MC was more bland than grilled chicken without piri-piri.

Anyway, I have full faith on Caribis. If I won the lottery I would invest in a studio for this man (or woman) to make their games.

alutarox

Nov 15, 2017
For some reason this makes me remind of Sword Art Online lol. Will be fun to finally have that premise with actually good story and without fanservice destroying the base dialogue. Take your eyes into this, Mr Reki Kawahara.

I also have faith of actually having a protagonist with some personality. And most girls too, except Asuna which is actually good things on SAO. And I don't mean it by her gorgeous figure, but because she actually has personality. Looking forward for that, specially if the MC finds friends/classmates/family on the game.

One thing I didn't like SAO (and I didn't even finish the series because of it), was the waste of premise. The first episode (and maybe second as well) actually does a great work of developing that feeling of being "trapped", of terror that a mistake in game can cost your life. While I don't expect a full terror game, if the direction of the game I hope that feel when playing the game remains there. That's why I liked Asuna as I mentioned above, since while the MC was OP as fuck, Asuna actually gave human emotions towards the series. After all, the MC was more bland than grilled chicken without piri-piri.

Anyway, I have full faith on Caribis. If I won the lottery I would invest in a studio for this man (or woman) to make their games.
SAO but good could be a decent direction to take the new game in, so long as you try and avoid Reki's mistakes (basically being an untalented hack with an awesome premise (avoid the untalented hack part, not the awesome premise :p)).

Incidentally, SAO:Abridged is great, cos it actually fixes a lot of the shit that the original does wrong, would recommend.

4.80 star(s) 901 Votes