MF_DOOM

Mar 1, 2023
Found a logic problem in a TV show I've watched probably 20 times all seasons.

In one episode there is an overweight girl who ends up having a tumor, that was the cause of her being heavy.

At the beginning of the episode someone is told he has to fire one of his employees by the end of the week.

However the girl comes back to the hospital for a visit so they can show how much weight she has lost, and it was easily 60 pounds.

After this they go back to talking about who the guy is going to fire by the end of the week.

My point, there was no way the girl lost all that weight in less then one week. It took me til the 20th time watching this episode to pick it up.

Why am I writing this? Because sometimes in my game I will add things that can't make sense unless it was told to a character in a conversation that did not take place in the game. But I've been called out on it.

So, I asked myself why I didn't pick up on this in the TV show until now. The reason is, it was more important to have the moment with the girl and seeing how her life had changed by losing the weight than for it to make perfect logical sense. So, I didn't care enough to pay attention to it. I just picked it up this time by chance.
I was rewatching House the other day and noticed that too.

Reactions: Zoey Raven

Zoey Raven

Game Developer/Walkthrough/Guide Maker
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
BTW have you heard of the horrible newer drug they call "tranq" showing up mixed with heroin lately? It's an animal tranquilizer, not meant for humans and causes ghastly necrotic wounds where injected quite often. Also, it isn't based on opium so if someone overdoses narcon doesn't help. Worse and worse things keep coming out.
No, but it doesn't surprise me. They're always thinking up new things to cut stuff with to make it "novel". Which is sad.

MF_DOOM

Mar 1, 2023
BTW have you heard of the horrible newer drug they call "tranq" showing up mixed with heroin lately? It's an animal tranquilizer, not meant for humans and causes ghastly necrotic wounds where injected quite often. Also, it isn't based on opium so if someone overdoses narcon doesn't help. Worse and worse things keep coming out.
It's amazing what people will do to get high

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020
Audrey Fence.jpg

I had a little time in the render queue tonight so I threw this in first! Enjoy!

Note:
I'll explain why I've had more time in the render queue so far in this update, in sort the scenes have mostly been in assets that render quickly. That will change for most of the rest of Ch. 15. I'll explain this again on Wednesday.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Latest progress report from the developer at Patreon:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Dev Update #51 (Progress)

What the hell is that thing Lydia's sitting on, guess we'll find out...

Ok guys, some good progress to report, but the rendering has been pretty easy up until now. Lots of assets that don't take a long time to render in. That will change as the update progresses, and that's why we're this far along at this point.

At roughly two and a half weeks development, we are at 2527 lines of code rendered, I've still got two scenes that haven't been rendered yet, so I didn't include them. I might start reporting it this way from now on, since if gives you a more accurate sense of where things are.

We stand currently at exactly 775 renders. I know I said I was trying to get this number down, and I'm doing my best. If we have to do a season 3 at some point to finish the game off I'll do it, but my goal is to not have to. That's probably a pretty lofty goal, but we'll see. As far as animations we are at 5 currently (Yet another reason things have gone faster to this point).

I've got about five scenes left in the first day of the update, two small ones, and three big ones. I also have to go back and write the rest of the dialogue for the first H scene, so there's that too. Oh, and I'm making you guys wait til the club to see what Sam has to do to get her clothes back! I had a slightly different idea, but the one I have now is better. Probably shouldn't overplay my hand with that, but it makes me laugh just thinking about it, and I can't wait to get there and write it! That's not til the end of the second day though. So, I'm getting ahead of myself.

MC and Lydia will be hanging out with either Brenda or Molly on the evening of the first day. Hope you guys have two saves going! Not sure if they'll be completely different scenes concept wise, but they'll be different enough.

That's about all I have to report for now.

Edit: Forgot to say I'd check back in with you guys in a couple of weeks!

As always, hope you are all doing well! Cheers!

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Because it drives me nuts when characters speak with their mouths closed. I'm gonna have to get over that for the next game, but kinda too late on this one! :)
Well, you already realised that you don't have to render every instance of a character talking, right? That if there are two characters going back and forth, you only need two renders for that not however many lines there are. That's a start. The next step is probably learning how layered images work, so you can have characters change expression/pose independently of each other when there are several of them in shot at once.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
I know how to do all that, but it's just faster to make another render, than to spot render or use canvases and overlay stuff, when you're working in 1080p most of the time with a good graphics card. Does it make the file size of the game bigger, yea, but it saves time in post.

When I move to 4K downscaling in the next game, that's when all those things will pay off. Although I'm not a huge fan of overlaying a whole body with different poses into a background, then using blending layers. It's hard to get the DOF right, and it makes the backlight inconsistent. It's fine with facial expressions, but beyond that, I don't like it. It also doesn't work so well with multi-character scenes, which I like to do a lot of.

I actually got into this same discussion with another dev a while back.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
When I move to 4K downscaling in the next game, that's when all those things will pay off. Although I'm not a huge fan of overlaying a whole body with different poses into a background, then using blending layers. It's hard to get the DOF right, and it makes the backlight inconsistent. It's fine with facial expressions, but beyond that, I don't like it. It also doesn't work so well with multi-character scenes, which I like to do a lot of.
I don't mean rendering characters and background separately and then overlaying them together in the game, that can work but yeah those are issues when doing 3d renders; using sprites like that is more suited to someone using drawn artwork. The workflow I'm thinking of is where you would have several characters in shot, and you do a few renders with them all sharing expressions, then you make the transparent images from that. It tends to work better the more characters are in shot at a time, since that increases the number of possible combinations. Obviously if it's worth it or not depends on how much you are going to use a particular shot.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Some of you will be disappointed with this, but I'm not going to be making the next game a buddy/landlady game, as I had previously indicated I might. There are several reasons for this, one of which is, it's just not something I feel I could write well, because I'm not really into those type of games personally. I've played them of course, but they just don't do as much for me as other things. However, I certainly don't judge anyone's fetishes nor do I think games like that are wrong. Maria, your assistant will still be your roommate and a romancable love interest, but it will stop at that.

The other reason is, I simply don't want to risk it. I'm sure the majority of you know what I mean when I say that, so it doesn't really need explained. Just wanted to let people know ahead of time that I've chosen this path. I realize if you're already playing my current game, it won't matter to you that the next game isn't doing to have buddy/landlady content. It might have been a bonus, but I'm sure you're still play if you enjoy it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I appreciate those who both do, and do not respect my decision, but it is the one I've made nonetheless.

Last edited:

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
A special render from the developer at Patreon:

Had to do another one of Maeve...

I stayed up far too late last night setting this up, but the render queue was finally small enough I could have a little fun with a custom. Hope you guys like it. It was inspired by one of my favorite games Depraved Awakening.

If you haven't played that, go run and do it now! You won't be disappointed!

I'll have a dev update on the 26th for everybody. Let's just say for now, I'm failing miserable at keeping the render count down. But, it is what is it. I require what I require to tell the story!

Hope you are all doing well. Cheers!

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020

That's right, Ch. 15 of One Day at a Time will be released on Renpy SDK 8.0.3. I've been using a 4 year old version of the engine for too long now, and 8.0.3 brings a much smoother gameplay process for you, and more advance coding options for me.

Hows does this affect you other than what I said about gameplay? It shouldn't at all, we've even written a migration script that will transfer Android saves to the new 8.0.3 default location.

Are there any exceptions to this affecting you?

-Renpy 8 requires a 64x operating system for PC and Mac versions (which has been the standard for years now, so I doubt any of you don't have one). This obviously does not affect the android version, so nothing to be concerned about there.

-Renpy 8 also requires 4gb of ram (again, I'm sure you all have this or else I doubt you could run your operating systems).
Just so you know, I made a build of Ch. 14 using 8.0.3 and ran that on my PC the same way you'll be getting the next update. My saves were all fine. There were a few back end things we had to re-code, like some minor stuff in the gallery, but you'll never notice the difference.

In short I'm doing this because Renpy 8 is a much snappier and well optimized engine. It's also what ODAAT: The Production will be released on, whenever that happens.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up! There are a lot of games you're already likely playing that are running on Renpy 8, but I just thought I'd let you know.

Like I said in the last post, I'll have a dev update for you on the 26th. The first day has turned out to be the biggest day in terms of lines of code I've yet to do. So, this may be the biggest update overall. But, more on that later.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Latest progress report from the developer at Patreon:

Dev Update #52 (Progress)

Looks like Brenda is happy...

Ok guys, I was gonna do this tomorrow on the normal day, but I'm rendering animations today, so I kinda have the time now.

We are at 4405 lines of code, 1453 renders, and later tonight (when the last animation I'm rendering finishes) 10 animations. However, wait for it... I'm still on the last scene of the first day! So, as I said in one of the messages I posted (can't remember which one). This will be the biggest single day so far in One Day at a Time history.

Usually I'd say the second day is going to be smaller, (because one of the days normally is) and it might be a little. But, as of now I have twelve scenes planned, and one of them is the club which I expect be very large. Biggest update in the history of the game? I don't know, we'll find out.

Yes, I'm doing horrible with keeping the render count down, but part of that is the fact there have been a lot of two character scenes, and the Brenda/Molly scenes were both the biggest ones I've ever done with them.

I'm not gonna spoil anything, but as usual, there will be revelations and obstacles to overcome for both the MC and some other characters in the game. Along with with a lot of fun as well!

That's all I have for now, I'll check back in with you guys in a couple of weeks!

okokok

Aug 19, 2016
Some of you will be disappointed with this, but I'm not going to be making the next game a buddy/landlady game, as I had previously indicated I might. There are several reasons for this, one of which is, it's just not something I feel I could write well, because I'm not really into those type of games personally. I've played them of course, but they just don't do as much for me as other things. However, I certainly don't judge anyone's fetishes nor do I think games like that are wrong. Maria, your assistant will still be your roommate and a romancable love interest, but it will stop at that.

The other reason is, I simply don't want to risk it. I'm sure the majority of you know what I mean when I say that, so it doesn't really need explained. Just wanted to let people know ahead of time that I've chosen this path. I realize if you're already playing my current game, it won't matter to you that the next game isn't doing to have buddy/landlady content. It might have been a bonus, but I'm sure you're still play if you enjoy it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I appreciate those who both do, and do not respect my decision, but it is the one I've made nonetheless.
From this plebs perspective that's a good thing. There's already 1000 of those games around and 950 of them are generic trash that offer nothing the others don't. Unless you've got a new twist to put on the genre I'm not interested

4.50 star(s) 130 Votes