Zoey Raven

Game Developer/Walkthrough/Guide Maker
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Zoey,
Something I've always wondered, that has come up in the game many times. Why can't the MC, Lydia, and the gang once they are in recovery from heroin, cocaine and the like, consume any alcohol? A few times one of them says, they would go right back to using if they did. I know a few people that have heavily abused alcohol at some time in their lives, then have had an epiphany of sorts, stopped for awhile, and then now just drink one or two drinks every few days or so, or even less, never to excess like before.

Why, in order to stop addiction to hard drugs like most of those in ODAAT, do they have to completely abstain from alcohol?
I've answered this in the thread and Barb has spoken about it in the game "No mood or mind altering substances". Coffee and Nicotine being the exceptions. Because they don't make you lose your house like drugs or have to go through DT's like alcohol.

Alcohol as with Weed will lead most addicts right back to their drug of choice within hours or weeks at the most.

This is why I brought up the marijuana maintenance program, in the game, and how it pretty much never works for any length of time.

It's that whole thing that is explained about what happens to an addicts body and mind when they ingest a substance. "Obsession of the mind, and allergy of the body." That's all in the game too.

In short we see alcohol as just another drug, because it affects us the same.

Last edited:

zainon

Jan 27, 2021
is it ok to pursue all of them for now or do i have to start running multiple save for each LI now?
didn't like this at first but i decided to try it again, now i'm digging it.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
is it ok to pursue all of them for now or do i have to start running multiple save for each LI now?
didn't like this at first but i decided to try it again, now i'm digging it.
You're fine pursing all of them.

Reactions: Walter Victor

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
I figured I would share this one personally with you guys from my patreon, since I have a lot of loyal support in here.

Sad news about my Grandma

My Grandma has been suffering from dementia for a while now. She had a fall in the middle of the night a few days ago and landed on her face. The hospice doctors say it's pushed her condition into the final stages.

She is refusing to eat anything when she comes out of the morphine stupor they have to keep her in for the pain. They haven't given an exact time frame, but if they can't get her to eat, it's likely going to be less than a week. My mother won't leave her side because she wants to be there for what looks like the inevitable end.

She is 89 and has not been herself for a few years now, so maybe this is for the best, but my family is a wreck over it, because we are all very close to her.

I'm trying to push through with game development as much as I can. I've finished almost all of the first day of the update apart from a few animations and a few renders. But it's really hard at the moment.

If she does end up passing I'm going to obviously need to take a few days to be there for my Mom and family, and to pay my respects. There is nothing graceful about aging, at least not at the end of life. Anyway, just felt I needed to let you guys know about the situation.

As I said I'm still working, It just feels like when I'm doing it my mind is in two places at the moment. So, I appreciate you bearing with me through this. If this update ends up taking a little longer to get out, or I don't update a WT or mod right away, that's why.

I'll give you guys more information as I get it myself. I hope beyond hope, the doctors are wrong and she comes back, but that's honestly probably selfish of me at this point.

Last edited:

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
I figured I would share this one personally with you guys from my patreon, since I have a lot of loyal supporting in here.

My Grandma has been suffering from dementia for a while now. She had a fall in the middle of the night a few days ago and landed on her face. The hospice doctors say it's pushed her condition into the final stages.

She is refusing to eat anything when she comes out of the morphine stupor they have to keep her in for the pain. They haven't given an exact time frame, but if they can't get her to eat, it's likely going to be less than a week. My mother won't leave her side because she wants to be there for what looks like the inevitable end.

She is 89 and has not been herself for a few years now, so maybe this is for the best, but my family is a wreck over it, because we are all very close to her.

I'm trying to push through with game development as much as I can. I've finished almost all of the first day of the update apart from a few animations and a few renders. But it's really hard at the moment.

If she does end up passing I'm going to obviously need to take a few days to be there for my Mom and family, and to pay my respects. There is nothing graceful about aging, at least not at the end of life. Anyway, just felt I needed to let you guys know about the situation.

As I said I'm still working, I just feel like when I doing it my mind is in two places at the moment. So, I appreciate you bearing with me through this. If this update ends up taking a little longer to get out, or I don't update a WT or mod right away, that's why.

I'll give you guys more information as I get it myself. I hope beyond hope, the doctors are wrong and she comes back, but that's honestly probably selfish of me at this point.
My deepest condolences on this trying time for you and your family.

Any time off you decide to take will be supported by your followers. We can wait. Your family comes first.

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
I figured I would share this one personally with you guys from my patreon, since I have a lot of loyal support in here.

As I said I'm still working, It just feels like when I doing it my mind is in two places at the moment. So, I appreciate you bearing with me through this. If this update ends up taking a little longer to get out, or I don't update a WT or mod right away, that's why.

It's always OK to hope.
My Grandma was 92 when she passed but in spite of so much living you still get sad that she is gone.

Take any and all time you need.

TheDick69+

Jun 29, 2021
I'm not a praying man, but I have your family in my thoughts!

I've been busy with acting, amateur theatre, so haven't had time to play for some weeks. So just DL last update and played it today. As usual a fine story and lot of useful insights! And as always, I just love the music. Was listening to post-rock (Mogwai, Explosions In The Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and some more) but turned that off just to listen to the music. One of few games, well maybe the only, that I do that for. I play the lewd scenes very slow as I just love that song so much. :love:

Reactions: Zoey Raven

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019

As I said I'm still working, It just feels like when I'm doing it my mind is in two places at the moment. So, I appreciate you bearing with me through this. If this update ends up taking a little longer to get out, or I don't update a WT or mod right away, that's why.

My condolences. Best wishes to you and your family.

Reactions: Zoey Raven

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
It's very bad news:

My Grandma just passed from this world about an hour ago.

I'll still try and work a little as a distraction I'll probably need, but I'll let you guys know when I'm back to full time. That will likely be the day after the funeral. I'm gonna go be with my family now.

Thank you to those who wrote messages of support. I appreciate all of you.

Zoey, take care of yourself and your family. We are here for you for as long as necessary.

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
It's very bad news:

My Grandma just passed from this world about an hour ago.

I'll still try and work a little as a distraction I'll probably need, but I'll let you guys know when I'm back to full time. That will likely be the day after the funeral. I'm gonna go be with my family now.

Thank you to those who wrote messages of support. I appreciate all of you.

Zoey, take care of yourself and your family. We are here for you for as long as necessary.
Take care of yourself and your family, Zoey!

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
I swear to God if I get one more "all the characters are the same and the dev likes movies quotes" review I'm done. I put like one movie quote in each update maybe two. And seriously, tell me Audrey, Lydia and say Brenda for example are anything close to the same character. What the hell is wrong with these people?

Especially when I have like 85 reviews saying how unique the characters all are and how people relate to them.

Also this guy, just because he sees the worst of the worst cases got mad when I didn't show enough suffering in the game and said my portrayal of addicts was not realistic for 90% of people. The game is mostly about the other 10% of people. Which is roughly the average who make it, and the game is not over. It's not gonna be all rainbows from here on in! I explained this to him in the thread after chapter 8. He then proceeded to like all the bad reviews of the game. Bid his time for 6 months and slammed me with a 2.

I don't care if he "works" in a treatment center. Doesn't mean he knows a damn thing about addiction, because to really know you gotta be an addict, or a family member of one who lives with them on the day to day. I even put this in the game, Angie going to a meeting to learn more about addicts because she works in a treatment center.

Ok rant over. I'm just fed up with trolls, and I'm not in a place right now to abide them and their snarky sarcasm laced reviews. So I said what I feel about it. And no I'm not really done if I get another review like that, I just feel they are very short sited and inaccurate.

Last edited:

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Also this guy, just because he sees the worst of the worst cases got mad when I didn't show enough suffering in the game and said my portrayal of addicts was not realistic for 90% of people.
Does this guy not realize that this is a game, not a documentary, and is about redemption. If he wants a game that shows the downfall of addicts he needs to write it.

Reactions: UncleFredo

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Does this guy not realize that this is a game, not a documentary, and is about redemption. If he wants a game that shows the downfall of addicts he needs to write it.
Idk man, I don't understand these people and should really stop trying to. But, I'm not really in the mood right now with what's going on in my life to let things slide I feel are inaccurate.

I warned everyone to hold onto your hats for Ch. 12 because it's gonna have the single most emotionally impactful event in the whole game. Both here and on Patreon.

Maybe he didn't get the memo. Idk. He was/is a patron of mine (name is different than on here and I have no idea what it is on Patreon). Don't really understand why. He also even expressed he liked the game up until people started getting sober. But, that's his opinion I guess. I can't agree with the majority of his review though, or the manner in which it was delivered.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Idk man, I don't understand these people and should really stop trying to. But, I'm not really in the mood right now with what's going on in my life to let things slide I feel are inaccurate.

I warned everyone to hold onto your hats for Ch. 12 because it's gonna have the single most emotionally impactful event in the whole game. Both here and on Patreon.

Maybe he didn't get the memo. Idk. He was/is a patron of mine (name is different than on here and I have no idea what it is on Patreon). Don't really understand why. He also even expressed he liked the game up until people started getting sober. But, that's his opinion I guess. I can't agree with the majority of his review though, or the manner in which it was delivered.
You might consider throwing in a few examples of people failing. Not anyone we know, but that could expose us more to the real dangers of addiction. What if someone OD'd at a meeting?

I don't know, though, you fill each release with so much, adding something you are reluctant to address wouldn't be doing anyone any favors.

Reactions: hawk784563

Spatenklopper

Jun 4, 2021
It's simple, ignore it.
Dealing with every piece of shit in the world, or injustice only makes you sick.

There are people who don't understand, or don't want to understand it, then just leave them alone.

Exactly what this guy is missing in the game is one of the main reasons why many other don't even try it.
They're afraid it's in.
That it's too close to reality and they would look in the mirror.

If you want the brutal reality just go to the back of any major train station and you'll find it there.

Mommysbuttslut

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2021
He also even expressed he liked the game up until people started getting sober.
Tbh that kinda sounds like he's fetishizing addiction. Kind of a red flag for an addictions worker I'd think.
Either way though, your review score is pretty well fully established. The game's deep enough in development that I doubt you're going to learn very much, if anything at all from f95 reviews. Your call but personally I'd just disable review notifications. If someone has an actual constructive critique then I've no doubt they'll share it in the thread, your DMs, your patreon or your discord. It's obviously your call but if I were in your shoes I'd disable notifications and just completely cut that potential source of toxicity out of my day.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
There is always a few that totally miss the point, whatever you do. I am sure even Michelangelo had people complain that David was to short, or his eyes look weird, etc, etc.

Yes, you could make all your characters strung out and die of an overdose by the second update, but what fun would that be to play? Sure, I know a large percentage never get help, or never allow themselves to be helped, but there are many people, you for one, that have gotten past their addiction through hard work and determination. This is a game about them.

I don't know where he gets that the characters are similar. I actually find them all uniquely human among all VNs I've played, I almost can't believe they are in a game. I am probably crazy, but I occasionally think about Marie, Audrey, and Lydia in real life, just as I am going about my day. Don't we all wish we had a Lydia in our lives :)? Nobody with any sense can say that Marie, or Audrey are anything like Lydia or Barb in personality, or each other.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
I don't know where he gets that the characters are similar. I actually find them all uniquely human among all VNs I've played, I almost can't believe they are in a game. I am probably crazy, but I occasionally think about Marie, Audrey, and Lydia in real life, just as I am going about my day. Don't we all wish we had a Lydia in our lives :)? Nobody with any sense can say that Marie, or Audrey are anything like Lydia or Barb in personality, or each other.
Yeah, that seemed strange to me too. These characters are about as diverse as you can get.

The only thing that has occurred to me is that they are all getting or are already sober. Given his other criticisms, that could be the issue with their personalities, which actually has nothing to do with characterization.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
The latest Patreon announcement from the developer:

Announcement about when I'll return to full time.
Grandma's funeral is set for Monday July 18th. So I'll be back to full time the day after, the 19th.

I did manage to get a few animations done last night. However, I need to do some foreplay renders and write some dialogue still to finish off that scene. And I'm just not in the headspace to write at the moment. Especially about sexy times.

I might try to work on the first scene of the next day a little bit if I feel inspired to do so in the coming days. I'm not very good at sitting around, but we have a lot of family calling and coming by, so I'm pretty busy with that at the moment.

Either way there will not be a dev update next week. I'm gonna push that to the 27th, so I'll have more to report on.

Thank you all again for the outpouring of support I'm getting from people both on here and from the whole community in general. I can't even count how many PM's, DM's and responses to posts I've gotten. You guys are truly incredible and I appreciate each and every one of you.

PS. Sorry about the double notification, I hit the button twice when I meant to just save an edit.

4.50 star(s) 130 Votes