Sneak Monkey

Apr 2, 2018
i'm not asking you to be bros with Vann, and it's never been stated that Cap and Vann are bros. The whole introduction is tailor-made to show off who Vann is, not to force a bro on you. You'll eventually get to meet him for real and dive deeper into his backstory and to help him tackle his feelings for Noel. I've got a lot planned so it hurts just a bit that you are writing him off after 5 mins of conversation with him :eek:

Edit: I'll stop trying to defend my decisions now, lol
The writing in the current update is the cap expressing the opinion of Vann being his bro and how much he likes him and is glad to have him around. It's really forced because if you don't feel that, it's playing a character you then develop distance from.

I'm surprised to read that about not asking you to be bros... True it isn't asking, it's placed there with no option to disagree I guess. Anyway, I'm not currently seeing anything in the writing that hints at anything else there so maybe if you had a different intention with Vann you could hint at it?

Personally I'm getting really uncomfortable vibes about the whole thing. Really would not enjoy ending up stuck in a confined space with my partners ex. That just isn't my sort of adventure, I guess some wont and don't mind that though. I'd find that deeply unpleasant, and do here too...

Last edited:

cryoxxx

Game Developer
Jul 6, 2017
The writing in the current update is the cap expressing the opinion of Vann being his bro and how much he likes him and is glad to have him around. It's really forced because if you don't feel that, it's playing a character you then develop distance from and.

I'm surprised to read that about not asking you to be bros... True it isn't asking, it's placed there with no option to disagree I guess. Anyway, I'm not currently seeing anything in the writing that hints at anything else there so maybe if you had a different intention with Vann you could hint at it?

Personally I'm getting really uncomfortable vibes about the whole thing. Really would not enjoy ending up stuck in a confined space with my partners ex. That just isn't my sort of adventure, I guess some wont and don't mind that though. I'd find that deeply unpleasant, and do here too...
I think you should be focusing more on whether Cap can trust Vann as a crewmate rather then seeing him as a potential "threat" to your relationship. Cap needs help and he's glad to have someone around he thinks he can trust.

Vann and Noel's past relationship can provide drama and good story-telling opportunities. Your insecurities as a person are dumb

Sneak Monkey

Apr 2, 2018
I think you should be focusing more on whether Cap can trust Vann as a crewmate rather then seeing him as a potential "threat" to your relationship. Cap needs help and he's glad to have someone around he thinks he can trust.

Vann and Noel's past relationship can provide drama and good story-telling opportunities. Your insecurities as a person are dumb
I didn't say that.

It doesn't feel like a threat, it just isn't something I'd do or want to do. I'm not interested in being buds with my girlfriends ex, ever. It's not about expecting her to do something.
So it's totally unrelatable for me which in turn distances me from the character I'm supposedly playing as. That's my feedback... I was attempting to engage in a nice way about the game and it's writing... Constructive criticism.

I didn't insult your writing, just gave some polite honest feedback about how it jarred because it was lacking a personal choice in how the player feels. No need to be an arsehole in return, I wasn't trying to upset you but clearly I have.

Telling me my insecurities are dumb... Baffling really. Grow up. That's something I'd expect from a child.
If it was an insecurity, that's a really pathetic thing to do, telling someone their insecurities are dumb. Maybe think first before attempting to insult someone like that. Just makes you come across as a right prick instead of a genuine and nice human. Maybe that's your intended look though.

Another note... Your ego isn't the important thing when writing. Don't tell people how they should read something, it doesn't work that way. An audience is a part of the process, they will experience things in their own way and telling them they're wrong because they didn't see it the way you expected them to is juvenile. It's missing the fact that you wrote it and they saw it, so maybe you wrote it wrong if they didn't see it right. There I go offering helpful constructive criticism again.

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
My Compressed unofficial Android port of Oppai Odyssey v0.4.2 public with randomname42 gallery unlock.
Usual gestures, save name/delete, seethru textbox, resizeable game and dialogue text.
Scrollable textbox - no more text off the bottom of your screen
Alternative persistent saves/log location
Grant storage permissions on first run!
Mega
Updated my Aandroid port to v0.4.2

cryoxxx

Game Developer
Jul 6, 2017
Sorry, boss man. I may have taken you comment as one of the many other comments that plague this site, which I have taken a very aggressive tone toward when they enter the thread.

Still, I do think you are looking at the Vann situation the wrong way. (As many people that aren't the author would say as well)

Reactions: Cherubin25

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
So it's totally unrelatable for me which in turn distances me from the character I'm supposedly playing as.
I think that might be where the problem lies. Self insertion.
You are reading the MC's story, not living it as yourself. The MC is not supposed to be a virtual avatar for the player. He has his own character, traits, flaws, etc. He does not assume those of the player, apart from some sexual preference choices.
I'd suggest to try & leave behind how you would react to something & look at how the MC would react to it, as his character is written, instead.
It's really forced because if you don't feel that, it's playing a character you then develop distance from.
I get where you're coming from, but I think it's not about how you feel about Vann. It's about how the MC feels about him.
You & the MC are two different entities.

Last edited:

TM | Twisted Games

GDI Spec Ops
Dec 30, 2020
I didn't say that.

It doesn't feel like a threat, it just isn't something I'd do or want to do. I'm not interested in being buds with my girlfriends ex, ever. It's not about expecting her to do something.
So it's totally unrelatable for me which in turn distances me from the character I'm supposedly playing as. That's my feedback... I was attempting to engage in a nice way about the game and it's writing... Constructive criticism.

I didn't insult your writing, just gave some polite honest feedback about how it jarred because it was lacking a personal choice in how the player feels. No need to be an arsehole in return, I wasn't trying to upset you but clearly I have.

Telling me my insecurities are dumb... Baffling really. Grow up. That's something I'd expect from a child.
If it was an insecurity, that's a really pathetic thing to do, telling someone their insecurities are dumb. Maybe think first before attempting to insult someone like that. Just makes you come across as a right prick instead of a genuine and nice human. Maybe that's your intended look though.

Another note... Your ego isn't the important thing when writing. Don't tell people how they should read something, it doesn't work that way. An audience is a part of the process, they will experience things in their own way and telling them they're wrong because they didn't see it the way you expected them to is juvenile. It's missing the fact that you wrote it and they saw it, so maybe you wrote it wrong if they didn't see it right. There I go offering helpful constructive criticism again.

Just to be clear, sharing something that bothers you is not the same as constructive criticism. You didn't like the way Vann was written because you would be uncomfortable spending time with a girlfriend's ex. That's not a criticims of the writing, that's a personal issue you have that was triggered by what was on the page. If somebody who was a victim of a mugging read about one in a story and was bothered by it, that's absolutely a fair reaction for them...but it doesn't make the scene about the mugging bad writing.

I say this only because too often it seems like people accidentally conflate something that is a squick for them personally as poor storytelling. I agree with Whichone that self insertion is likely more than a little responsible.

r6nv9as64ndaoiy

Nov 8, 2020
I remember trying this game out waaaaay back then and dropping promptly. Just something in the writing and structuring gave it away.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So now I decided to check again and it's actually really great. I still have a feeling that the beginning is kinda underwhelming for a, you know, beginning of a grand story, but then it picks up the pace and yeah.

Author did grow as an author and storyteller and it really feels. Animations are long, complex and are probably better than vast majority of the games here and environment honestly surprises me to no limits, like how far you can push Honey Select.

Incredible work.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

FutaFred

Apr 19, 2023
So, I might just be a big dumbdumb, but I cannot figure out how to find the hidden images for the gallery? I saw the list in this thread (from 2021), but I am not sure if it is still up to date? Do I need to click on something specific during those times at those locations? Do I need to progress to a certain point? Am I just blind?

Bill Temple

May 20, 2021
So, I might just be a big dumbdumb, but I cannot figure out how to find the hidden images for the gallery? I saw the list in this thread (from 2021), but I am not sure if it is still up to date? Do I need to click on something specific during those times at those locations? Do I need to progress to a certain point? Am I just blind?
I think they're just in sandbox mode, but I've never played VN mode, so there's a reasonable chance I'm wrong about that. There are clickables on various screens that will unlock the hidden images. They're not always easy for me to find, but some are very obvious.

cryoxxx

Game Developer
Jul 6, 2017
Do I need to click on something specific during those times at those locations? Do I need to progress to a certain point? Am I just blind?
You have to be in sandbox mode and complete the first mission before they become active

slothen29

Aug 26, 2020
If cap's choices differ from your own when playing Oppai Odyssey you can still self insert. Just like... try having a modicum of talent for imagination. It's not unreasonable to expect people that are presumably fans of Sci fi and fantasy to be able to use their imaginations.

Reactions: linkkkkk_

Bill Temple

May 20, 2021
I basically never self-insert, but if cap isn't meant to be a self insert, then why is almost all of the game purely first person?
I don't know that he isn't meant to be a self insert. Maybe he was at some point but that's since stopped being a good idea? No idea, but it wasn't really my point.
Look, self-inserters gonna self-insert whether in first, second, or third person POVs. There's no stopping it, and my joke wasn't busting on them for enjoying fantasies in their preferred way. I was expressing my view that there seems to be a common perspective among their outspoken proponents that developers are obligated to create game paths that are completely congruent with each of their personalities, preferences, kinks, and play styles, wherein lies the absurdity of their position IMO and likewise the source of my circumspection for the group.

wikiflikijustin

Jul 15, 2018
```
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/manualtracks.rpy", line 5, in script
init python:
File "game/manualtracks.rpy", line 7, in <module>
import ost
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/private/var/folders/6v/0s4xxh2j2vz0y9hpfd5g8kv40000gn/T/AppTranslocation/E155EEF5-4D18-4688-B5E9-5B5E3CAD58A6/d/OppaiOdyssey 2.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/game/track/covers'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/manualtracks.rpy", line 5, in script
init python:
File "/private/var/folders/6v/0s4xxh2j2vz0y9hpfd5g8kv40000gn/T/AppTranslocation/E155EEF5-4D18-4688-B5E9-5B5E3CAD58A6/d/OppaiOdyssey 2.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/ast.py", line 1138, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "/private/var/folders/6v/0s4xxh2j2vz0y9hpfd5g8kv40000gn/T/AppTranslocation/E155EEF5-4D18-4688-B5E9-5B5E3CAD58A6/d/OppaiOdyssey 2.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/python.py", line 1122, in py_exec_bytecode
exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
File "game/manualtracks.rpy", line 7, in <module>
import ost
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1007, in _find_and_load
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 986, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 664, in _load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 627, in _load_backward_compatible
File "/private/var/folders/6v/0s4xxh2j2vz0y9hpfd5g8kv40000gn/T/AppTranslocation/E155EEF5-4D18-4688-B5E9-5B5E3CAD58A6/d/OppaiOdyssey 2.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/loader.py", line 1037, in load_module
exec(code, mod.__dict__) # type: ignore
File "python-packages/ost.py", line 660, in <module>
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/private/var/folders/6v/0s4xxh2j2vz0y9hpfd5g8kv40000gn/T/AppTranslocation/E155EEF5-4D18-4688-B5E9-5B5E3CAD58A6/d/OppaiOdyssey 2.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/game/track/covers'

macOS-14.1.1-arm64-arm-64bit arm64
Ren'Py 8.1.3.23091805
OppaiOdyssey 0.4.2
Sun Jan 21 02:47:13 2024
```
I'm on mac how to fix?

4.40 star(s) 142 Votes