VN RPGM Abandoned Ordinary Day 2 [v0.45F] [Joraell]

4.30 star(s) 9 Votes

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Ren'Py does not imply a good game, but RPGMaker does imply certain annoyances. If I see RPGMaker then I know the game will almost definitely have all of the following:.......
In that way you are right. To my game.
  • Save is just on you you has 16 slots and save whenever you want.
  • About walking and findings stuff I was try to take it to minimum.
  • Mouse support is included with 3 corners pathfinding. I think it works fine (Iam not using mouse).
  • Replays, Yes they are only at the end of the game. Maybe I will do some app to acces them during gameplay.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
One of the reasons why I dropped it last time is full screen doesn't work properly. It fucks around with my desktop resolution (turns on HDR on my big screen) and only uses half the screen.

Would you play a game that looks like this? I honestly didn't get past the beginning. If you look through the comments about half the posters were complaining about the same thing the previous release but they couldn't even get it to load. Maybe why you are losing patrons.
Use F6

trumpthatbitch

Jun 23, 2017
First of all thanks for the reply but I already did. It didn't work. I even replaced and mucked around the files for v0.2.

It had the same problem. Did you test how the game would run on 4K and above monitors because it goes full screen but the assets of the game are surrounded by black.

Anyways good luck on your game. Just thought you should be aware of the issue.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
First of all thanks for the reply but I already did. It didn't work. I even replaced and mucked around the files for v0.2.
I has that issue just once and it was on multi display computer setup. Don't know why is that issue here. But it working on 98%. Rplacing files didn't help because it is implemented from begining of this game. Sometimes it goes to broke if anybody uses alt+f5 for fullscreen instead of just F5.

tails

Jun 2, 2017
Ren'Py does not imply a good game, but RPGMaker does imply certain annoyances. If I see RPGMaker then I know the game will almost definitely have all of the following:
  • Limited save system that requires accessing some specific location.
  • Dialog system lacking more advanced features. Re-playing scenes is frustrating.
  • Most likely going to contain an overworld I have to walk around in with questionable graphics or even if good, still can break immersion. Generally with no path-finding and sometimes without even mouse support.
With Ren'Py
  • I can save the game at any time. I can have lots of saves, with screenshots. It's standard and just there, available in same way for every game.
  • I can change settings at any time, including middle of dialog. I can also change how quickly text fills into dialog boxes. Not limited to whatever the dev chose.
  • Some games support rollback which make exploring dialog trees much more enjoyable. If not, I can still save and re-play any dialog multiple times easily. Including in the middle of dialog.
  • Skip option for dialog you've already seen. Makes re-playing with different choices much easier.
  • No overworld. Whatever navigation is presented is up to the dev. This can be both good or bad, but it's more often much better than what ends up in most RPGMaker games.

I know some people enjoy the RPGMaker map style, but I suspect the majority is like me and are annoyed by it. It can be used to good effect to enhance the story by animating characters moving around between/during events, but that's done less often and usually isn't good enough to counter all the negatives.

Similarly, some probably like the limited saving style of RPGMaker games too. It can force you to commit to choices, and some like having to do a slower replay to change their options. I think that's better left as an option for someone to self-enforce rather than the engine forcing it.

There's definitely people who enjoy RPGMaker games. However, many of us instead tolerate the RPGMaker aspects of a game because the rest of it is good and in general are less likely to consider them. I've enjoyed RPGMaker games, but it's almost always been despite the fact it's an RPGMaker game. With Ren'Py, at least the aspects that are going to annoy me are entirely up to the developer.
This + 1000 , it frustrates me to no end seeing a game with good renders and graphics then clicking on it to see that it is a RPGM game.

Module

Jul 19, 2017
Hi, saves from 0.2 work in 0.3? I cant go further, game says that party will be tomorrow aaand game over.

Reactions: Joraell

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Saves may work but it depends on from what version they are. Use it is from begining of last version.

Reactions: Module
Oct 14, 2017
In that way you are right. To my game.
  • Save is just on you you has 16 slots and save whenever you want.
  • About walking and findings stuff I was try to take it to minimum.
  • Mouse support is included with 3 corners pathfinding. I think it works fine (Iam not using mouse).
  • Replays, Yes they are only at the end of the game. Maybe I will do some app to acces them during gameplay.
You can't save in the middle of dialog. It's not a huge issue, but it's something that's just not possible in RPGMaker. I do appreciate that in this one you can save at any time, but it's frequently not the norm with RPGMaker, but with Ren'Py it's guaranteed. Anyone seeing it's RPGMaker is going to shy away from it because they don't know how the game sets it up unless they try it and many won't even try it. Same goes for mouse support, it may or may not work well and until you grab the game, you don't know generally.

The re-play of dialog I was talking about was more of an easy way to go "oh oops, I don't like how that choice played out, let's rollback a bit and choose something else". In RPGMaker, that means finishing the entire dialog chain, then loading your last save, which may or may not be from right before that dialog chain. In Ren'Py, when you see the decision you can choose to save there. When you are unhappy with how it played out you can usually use your scrollwheel to rollback to the decision, or in the middle of a dialog, loading your save from the decision point. In RPGMaker, once you hit the decision point it's already too late to save. Means you frequently need to be saving before every single interaction "just in case" there's going to be a decision tree. In some games, the length of a sequence can be fairly long too and it can get frustrating replaying that and having to click through all the dialog again. Again, not something every game does, but because of the engine it's something that either can be an annoyance, or stifle game design if the developer tries to mitigate it by breaking up sequences. You can work around most of these shortcomings as a player, but after you've grown use to the ease of use in a Ren'Py game, going back to an RPGMaker game is frustrating.

It's your choice of engine, and there are definitely reasons to choose RPGMaker over Ren'Py, but there seems to be a lot of games where Ren'Py makes a lot more sense for the structure of the game. Anything that's more dialog heavy, and doesn't really need the combat engine of RPGMaker, Ren'Py usually makes more sense. Something where combat is part of the game and effort has gone into designing good dungeons, like say Melty's Quest, RPGMaker makes perfect sense.

mr.rooter

Jun 3, 2017
With all the rpgmaker games I still see I’m surprised I’m not in the minority by saying I don’t like them. I get so upset when I see preview images of a new game with good graphics and attractive characters, only to find its a rpgmaker game and I have to pass. If I wanted to play Pokémon, I would get my game it out..

Westparkmod1

Oct 9, 2017
If it doesn't add to the game/story, I don't really want it in the game. Rpgmaker is more running around than anything else. To spend that much time walking from place to place with slow transitions usually results in me turning off the game. With limited gaming time, I just don't have it in me to play.

For an exceptional game, I'll play. But futa isn't my thing. Every time I see futa, I'm reminded of what someone once said: There are no such things as chicks with dicks, just dudes with tits.

Reactions: pappypop

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
With all the rpgmaker games I still see I’m surprised I’m not in the minority by saying I don’t like them. I get so upset when I see preview images of a new game with good graphics and attractive characters, only to find its a rpgmaker game and I have to pass. If I wanted to play Pokémon, I would get my game it out..
It is your choice. Iam just sad that you judge game and not just even try it.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
If it doesn't add to the game/story, I don't really want it in the game. Rpgmaker is more running around than anything else. To spend that much time walking from place to place with slow transitions usually results in me turning off the game. With limited gaming time, I just don't have it in me to play.

For an exceptional game, I'll play. But futa isn't my thing. Every time I see futa, I'm reminded of what someone once said: There are no such things as chicks with dicks, just dudes with tits.
About fute it is in planed next version and about it. Iam not fan, but it is on stye how it is served. Many things you can saw in games didn't exist.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017

That is really strange are you try to use that my save . Iam just try it now (downloaded version 0.3F from here and add savefile I was sended to you and it's working.

That save once again.

Led

Jul 16, 2017
Okay, I promised to get back to you with my findings of the game. Tbh, once I see a game was made with RPGMaker then I skip the game and delete it, right away. For one because I don't like the Nintendo gameplay inside the game. Also, these kind of games seem to be too demanding on system requirements. This game runs quite slow on my laptop. I don't have a gaming laptop, but any Renpy and Unity game runs fluently on my system, even in the highest settings. So, my advice to you is to switch either to Renpy or Unity for building your game.

finflash

Jun 7, 2017
Okay, I promised to get back to you with my findings of the game. Tbh, once I see a game was made with RPGMaker then I skip the game and delete it, right away. For one because I don't like the Nintendo gameplay inside the game. Also, these kind of games seem to be too demanding on system requirements. This game runs quite slow on my laptop. I don't have a gaming laptop, but any Renpy and Unity game runs fluently on my system, even in the highest settings. So, my advice to you is to switch either to Renpy or Unity for building your game.
This applies to me too. But the dev deserves respect because he/she is looking for the solution to make this game more enjoyable. Unfortunately tho, I can´t try because my laptop can´t handle RPGMakers, but I wish you all the best! Quality of your images is ahead of the most games!

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
This applies to me too. But the dev deserves respect because he/she is looking for the solution to make this game more enjoyable. Unfortunately tho, I can´t try because my laptop can´t handle RPGMakers, but I wish you all the best! Quality of your images is ahead of the most games!
Thanks mate.

Reactions: finflash
4.30 star(s) 9 Votes