Warped Animation

Game Developer
May 27, 2019
i do not mean it in a bad way,i was just saying that you are not the only one with that problem lack of support.
i admit i have played both of your game versions and i liked them,but with already 14 dev supports i am almost at my limit.
and it will happen that supporters will leak your game sooner or later.

and you are right that could kill the game but people that always wanting everything for free don´t care about that.
I should have been more clear I guess. I saw that you had stated that you support many games. So I wasn't really directing the "mindset" comment at you directly, but meant it more as a general statement about game players in general. I'm glad you like the games. As you stated, this isn't just an issue that I am confronted with, and I know that. As I have stated before, I never expected 10s of the thousands of financial supporters. However, a 29 supporters to perhaps 50,000 (or more) total downloads ratio, is simply not acceptable. Add to that, the occasional idiot that comes on one of the game threads, and then accuses me of a "cash grab," and it has a real tendency to piss off the develper. In any case, I guess we will see what happens. I can always develop it as a hobby, and just email links to my most loyal supporters, that I know for a fact I can trust not to leak it. Again, I'm glad people like you like the game so far. I hope that things don't come to an abrupt end down the road, but I do know that I am not the type of person to tolerate being taken advantage of, so...

Last edited:

fbass

May 18, 2017
I should have been more clear I guess. I saw that you had stated that you support many games. So I wasn't really directing the "mindset" comment at you directly, but meant it more as a general statement about game players in general. I'm glad you like the games. As you stated, this isn't just an issue that I am confronted with, and I know that. As I have stated before, I never expected 10s of the thousands of financial supporters. However, a 29 supporters to perhaps 50,000 (or more) total downloads ratio, is simply not acceptable. Add to that, the occasional idiot that comes on one of the game threads, and then accuses me of a "cash grab," and it has a real tendency to piss off the develper. In any case, I guess we will see what happens. I can always develop it as a hobby, and just email links to my most loyal supporters, that I know for a fact I can trust not to leak it. Again, I'm glad people like you like the game so far. I hope that things don't come to an abrupt end down the road, but I do know that I am not the type of person to tolerate being taken advantage of, so...
A lot of people that play these games will do nothing but take advantage and that will never change.

I played your game when you first released it and really liked the concept but I also wondered if it would be updated or not, so many games get abandoned. That being said, this last update was excellent and if you keep making solid updates like that then you will see your patrons grow, I will become your patron now because of the latest update.

The first release should be free but after that, if it's free, people think it's just a hobby and won't consider supporting it. You should not give it away for free but at the same time don't get upset when it ends up here, if and when it does it just shows that people obviously like it. This site is the best advertisement for any game, keeping it away from here will only hurt you. (I won't leak it, I'll respect the way you want to do things).

Reactions: Warped Animation

Warped Animation

Game Developer
May 27, 2019
A lot of people that play these games will do nothing but take advantage and that will never change.

I played your game when you first released it and really liked the concept but I also wondered if it would be updated or not, so many games get abandoned. That being said, this last update was excellent and if you keep making solid updates like that then you will see your patrons grow, I will become your patron now because of the latest update.

The first release should be free but after that, if it's free, people think it's just a hobby and won't consider supporting it. You should not give it away for free but at the same time don't get upset when it ends up here, if and when it does it just shows that people obviously like it. This site is the best advertisement for any game, keeping it away from here will only hurt you. (I won't leak it, I'll respect the way you want to do things).
Glad you like it, and thank you for your upcoming support. As far as whether it shows up here...I guess we will see.

Reactions: markwalloway

Warped Animation

Game Developer
May 27, 2019
The other day, someone here on F95, had voiced a problem with being able to utilize SubscribeStar to support the development of the games. This issue had to do with credit cards, because they aren't necessarily as common outside of the US, as they are within the US. So what I have done, is that I have provided some additional tiers on my Patreon page. I have called them, "Extra Support Tiers." What you can do to both support the games, and receive the links to both games, is to support me on Patreon at the "Extra Support Tier I" level. You can then send me a message on Patreon, and include your email address. When a release of Our Fathers is available, I will then email you the download links directly. The Sugar Daddies links are posted in regular Patreon posts. ** Important ** I've already run into people that are supporting me on Patreon, but are interested in the "Our Fathers" game making this mistake. You absolutely cannot discuss incest, nor beastiality, on Patreon. No comments, no messages. To discuss Our Fathers, and related taboo topics, please do that by messaging me here on F95 about it. Not on Patreon.

Warped Animation

Game Developer
May 27, 2019
A while back, somebody was trying to run the game on a mac, and was doing so using the Renpy SDK. They were receiving an error, involving the variables.json file being "read only." I don't know why I didn't think of it then, but here is what is most likely happening. When you run the game(s) normally, using the .exe, the variables.json file is located/updated/read from out of the same folder as your game .exe. However, a quirk about the Renpy sdk, and running the game from there, is that it saves the variables.json file within the Renpy SDK folder structure. Don't ask me why, but it does. Since I run on windows, it gets stored in a different sub-folder than yours would on a mac. For instance, "renpy-7.3.5-sdk\lib\windows-i686." My guess is that the mac security for the SDK folder that Renpy is storing the file in, forces the file to be "read only." This is a problem, because the game regularly updates this file. I can't help you with how to alleviate that, because I don't know how macs function in that respect. However, it might be as simple as just resetting the security on the variables.json file to make it read/write. If that isn't possible, the purpose of the file is to store a few game settings. Renpy doesn't reliably maintain in-game variables for use outside of an ongoing game, and I needed a way to store the name settings and some other things across games. However, since you are in the Renpy SDK anyway, what you could do, as a more extreme "solution," is to just change your name settings and such, directly in characters.rpy, and variables.rpy, and then go to utilities.rpy, and just modify the save_variables python method to just return, and not actually write the file. In other words, just hard code your choices. You would also need to modify the load_variables python method to force varsFileExists to False, and then it will load instead from your hard coded settings. Your saves will include the variable settings at the time you saved them. Also, the names I use in the .json file, should match the actual variable names used within the game code.

Here is a sample variables.json file:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

PowerbaitDK

Nov 28, 2017
A while back, somebody was trying to run the game on a mac, and was doing so using the Renpy SDK. They were receiving an error, involving the variables.json file being "read only." I don't know why I didn't think of it then, but here is what is most likely happening. When you run the game(s) normally, using the .exe, the variables.json file is located/updated/read from out of the same folder as your game .exe. However, a quirk about the Renpy sdk, and running the game from there, is that it saves the variables.json file within the Renpy SDK folder structure. Don't ask me why, but it does. Since I run on windows, it gets stored in a different sub-folder than yours would on a mac. For instance, "renpy-7.3.5-sdk\lib\windows-i686." My guess is that the mac security for the SDK folder that Renpy is storing the file in, forces the file to be "read only." This is a problem, because the game regularly updates this file. I can't help you with how to alleviate that, because I don't know how macs function in that respect. However, it might be as simple as just resetting the security on the variables.json file to make it read/write. If that isn't possible, the purpose of the file is to store a few game settings. Renpy doesn't reliably maintain in-game variables for use outside of an ongoing game, and I needed a way to store the name settings and some other things across games. However, since you are in the Renpy SDK anyway, what you could do, as a more extreme "solution," is to just change your name settings and such, directly in characters.rpy, and variables.rpy, and then go to utilities.rpy, and just modify the save_variables python method to just return, and not actually write the file. In other words, just hard code your choices. You would also need to modify the load_variables python method to force varsFileExists to False, and then it will load instead from your hard coded settings. Your saves will include the variable settings at the time you saved them. Also, the names I use in the .json file, should match the actual variable names used within the game code.

Here is a sample variables.json file:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

If you don't want the game here, why do you then keep posting ?? This can only be because of commercial reasons, but who want to support a game that get abandoned in a couples of month ??

Qoute : I hope that things don't come to an abrupt end down the road, but I do know that I am not the type of person to tolerate being taken advantage of, so...

People will always take advantages of other people !!

Warped Animation

Game Developer
May 27, 2019
If you don't want the game here, why do you then keep posting ?? This can only be because of commercial reasons, but who want to support a game that get abandoned in a couples of month ??

Qoute : I hope that things don't come to an abrupt end down the road, but I do know that I am not the type of person to tolerate being taken advantage of, so...
People will always take advantages of other people !!
What I actually said was that I wouldn't be posting the game for free here anymore, until at least a month after my supporters get it. I never said it was never going to be here. Further, I'll post whatever the hell I want to. What are you? The posts police? You have been ignored, but thank you for your useless input.

PowerbaitDK

Nov 28, 2017
What I actually said was that I wouldn't be posting the game for free here anymore, until at least a month after my supporters get it. I never said it was never going to be here. Further, I'll post whatever the hell I want to. What are you? The posts police? You have been ignored, but thank you for your useless input.
That guy goes of like a rocket :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Reactions: fbass

Paz

Aug 9, 2016
Hey Warped Animation, I just bumped into your game recently and it looks quite intriguing. Having read the thread a bit -the part about getting support etc. especially- I must say I agree with your general view on the matter, but I checked both your Patreon and SS and maybe the tier structure might feel a bit off-putting for some future possible supporters.

I surely have no actual say in this, and you know better how much your time is worth, but maybe getting them down a bit could work better for you in the long run.
E.g. my only options atm to support your game are either 3$ (which is essentially a pat on the back) or 15$ on SS / 25$ on Patreon.
This is a big gap and 15$/month at least on top of whatever total tally people have on other creators as well is non-trivial for many of them I'd guess. I do understand that you somehow need to keep a fair balance between SS/Patreon and the tiers involving Sugar Daddies, but I kinda wanted to mention it anyway.

I hope to see you continue with this, and will try to jump on the support wagon one way or another.

Warped Animation

Game Developer
May 27, 2019
Hey Warped Animation, I just bumped into your game recently and it looks quite intriguing. Having read the thread a bit -the part about getting support etc. especially- I must say I agree with your general view on the matter, but I checked both your Patreon and SS and maybe the tier structure might feel a bit off-putting for some future possible supporters.

I surely have no actual say in this, and you know better how much your time is worth, but maybe getting them down a bit could work better for you in the long run.
E.g. my only options atm to support your game are either 3$ (which is essentially a pat on the back) or 15$ on SS / 25$ on Patreon.
This is a big gap and 15$/month at least on top of whatever total tally people have on other creators as well is non-trivial for many of them I'd guess. I do understand that you somehow need to keep a fair balance between SS/Patreon and the tiers involving Sugar Daddies, but I kinda wanted to mention it anyway.

I hope to see you continue with this, and will try to jump on the support wagon one way or another.
I appreciate the input. One of the problems that I ran into, is the way the whole "Tier" structure works. I can't just put up an isolated choice....like I can't just offer the "Our Fathers" game only for $10, and that is all you get. The Tiers are linked to each other. The way I came up with the Tiers was by looking at how other devs have theirs structured. I originally had a $1 Tier, and in fact, still have 7 supporters on Patreon who are giving me $1 a month. I discontinued that Tier for new supporters, because once the site(s) take out their minimums, there isn't much left from $1, but I still appreciate the effort from those folks. I used to have a $5 Tier for the non-extras type version of the game. I eliminated it and just went to only having the "extras" version, because it just wasn't worth the effort to do the extra work it takes to have an animated and non-animated version, especially since everybody can get the animated "mods" from a site like this. As far as the $3 Tier being a "pat on the back"...I don't look at it that way. These are people who know that it doesn't get them the game links, and they still do it. I take it that they are doing what they can do. I have other people who give me $3, or $10, or whatever, and then immediately delete their pledge, so they are (in effect) giving me a one time donation. I appreciate all of them. They are making an effort. I realize that not everyone can afford to do continuous support at one of the higher Tiers. One guy mentioned that he is currently supporting 14 devs. I get all of that. The other factor is that there is a supply and demand aspect to it. If "nobody" else is doing taboo subjects, then that becomes a pricing factor. Hey! I've got a "legacy" $1 supporter who is one of my most loyal supporters. He likes the approach I'm taking to how you play the game(s), and $1 is what he can do, and I appreciate it. I've also worked out deals with a couple of people behind the scenes, through PMs.

** Update: Based on your comments, something came to mind that I could maybe do, if I can figure out a good way to fit it into the way that Tiers work. You tell me what you think about the idea. I could maybe add some "Delayed Access" Tiers. Higher priced Tiers would get the releases like normal, and "Delayed Access" Tiers would get access to the links maybe 1 1/2 - 2 weeks later. I'm not sure if I can fit it into the Tier thing, but I can see if I can figure it out.

Last edited:

Paz

Aug 9, 2016
As far as the $3 Tier being a "pat on the back"...I don't look at it that way. These are people who know that it doesn't get them the game links, and they still do it. I take it that they are doing what they can do.
That's what I meant when I said that thing. They do what they can, but nor you neither them get anything substantial from it. Which is perfectly legitimate of course, probably a poor choice of words.

The other factor is that there is a supply and demand aspect to it. If "nobody" else is doing taboo subjects, then that becomes a pricing factor.
I fully get it, and is in fact taken into account by me when I decide to support someone as well. I'm pretty sure a niche dev with a small following can benefit more from my limited funds, than the average vanilla (in context) creator with hundreds of patrons.

On another note, do you have any rough release cycle plan in mind? Like once a month/every 3 months, or is it on a "when it's ready/there's enough content to warrant a release" type of thing?

Warped Animation

Game Developer
May 27, 2019
That's what I meant when I said that thing. They do what they can, but nor you neither them get anything substantial from it. Which is perfectly legitimate of course, probably a poor choice of words.

I fully get it, and is in fact taken into account by me when I decide to support someone as well. I'm pretty sure a niche dev with a small following can benefit more from my limited funds, than the average vanilla (in context) creator with hundreds of patrons.

On another note, do you have any rough release cycle plan in mind? Like once a month/every 3 months, or is it on a "when it's ready/there's enough content to warrant a release" type of thing?
Look at the ** Update I just made to my original response. Let me know what you think about that idea, if you would.

Warped Animation

Game Developer
May 27, 2019

On your release cycle question. With my present level of support, it has to be "when it is ready." $150-$200 of support doesn't pay the bills, so I have to work on it in my spare time right now. What I would like to get to, if the support levels come up to allow it, is every month, or so, but we are currently quite a ways away from that happening. BTW, that doesn't mean my supporters are paying each and every month, because I suspend payments sometimes, because I don't think it is fair for people to be paying a bunch of months, only to get a single release.

Paz

Aug 9, 2016
Look at the ** Update I just made to my original response. Let me know what you think about that idea, if you would.
Delayed access is probably something that could work, a lot of creators do it. Though it has the pitfall that your non-animated/animated versions had. Anyone on a delayed access tier can potentially get his hands on it earlier if it leaks anyway.

I guess this is ultimately down to how you feel about this, but in general people having more options is always a good thing imho.

Warped Animation

Game Developer
May 27, 2019
Delayed access is probably something that could work, a lot of creators do it. Though it has the pitfall that your non-animated/animated versions had. Anyone on a delayed access tier can potentially get his hands on it earlier if it leaks anyway.

I guess this is ultimately down to how you feel about this, but in general people having more options is always a good thing imho.
Well, I've covered what is going to happen if the game is leaked, in previous posts. If people want to ruin it for everyone else, well then, that is what will happen. However, I also look at it this way. People would be making an effort to support the game. I can tell you right now that the supporters that I currently have, aren't going to leak the game. I can't speak to what future supporters might do. To me, financially supporting a game, and then leaking the game, knowing that the dev is going to get pissed off, and that it will kill the game....makes zero sense. They would have just lost their investment. Does that mean people wouldn't do that? No! Anyway, I'll see how I can maybe fit the "Delayed Access" thing into the situation.

Warped Animation

Game Developer
May 27, 2019

Based on Paz's excellent points, and suggestions, I have added some new lower priced, "Delayed Access" Tiers to my SubscribeStar page. These new Tiers offer lower priced support options for access to game links based on a 2 weeks delay, compared to full price supporters. The options are based on approximately 50% off the full support prices. Thanks again to Paz for the input.

** Edit ** I have also added two new Tiers to my Patreon, but those patreon Tiers ONLY apply to Sugar Daddies, and NOT Our Fathers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Streichmett

Warped Animation

Game Developer
May 27, 2019
This will be our 4th Father in the game, and the really cool thing is that he was created as the very close likeness of one of the entrants from the "Talent Search" and is among my supporters. While I originally only intended that their be 4 Fathers in the game, I have decided to add a 5th Father character to provide another supporter with the opportunity to have their likeness in the game as well. Also, others may end up being selected for other less major roles in the game. BTW ladies. You are eligible too. While there will not be a Sugar Momma in the game, Our Fathers will still have Mothers, and other female relatives, friends, and characters that you could be selected for.

So...Meet Dr. Norman Schmidt, Psychologist
r (96).png

3.50 star(s) 4 Votes