VN Ren'Py Abandoned Paola [Ch. 1] [stoperArt & Dantes]

3.30 star(s) 12 Votes

Bolero

Jan 20, 2018
I liked it. The writing is good, Paola is beautiful, and the renders are really good, as it was expected.
Would be even better if the images weren´t so small and if the text was not all over the scene, but Stoper already said he will improve that in the next updates and make it more like we are used in renpy games, so that is great.

Overall i enjoyed it quite a bit, even though i played it until 3 am and my eyes are kinda tired from all that text.

Reactions: petrenko8

EdPokol

Mar 31, 2019
Paola is magnificent, the writing awesome and the story really got me. Two artists having combined their skills... a feast for the eye and mind!!

Reactions: Pollux

jpsimon

Overachiever
Donor
Apr 3, 2017
2am Corona Quarantine Storytime:
I dated a nurse from Venezuela named Paola around 2006. It took me a full 2 weeks before I learned how to pronounce her name. It's not how it looks. When I eventually got it right after much scolding, I wrote down on an index card how to pronounce it and gave it to her. That way, she could give it to other people so they wouldn't have to listen to her shit like I did.

Pah-oh-el-ah ... 4 syllables, rolled together really fast. You have to over-pronounce the 'el' part, which doesn't really occur in English.

To this day I'm not sure if she was just being difficult to feign being interesting, or if she was telling the truth about her name being such a pain in the ass. I should have heeded that red flag earlier, though. No decent person that's lived with a difficult name for 25 years makes a big deal about it. My last name is italian gibberish and I haven't corrected anyone mispronouncing it since I was like 15. That bitch was incomprehensibly crazy. But oh-so-hot.

• Haha
Reactions: Chrisdarock19

Jansen

May 8, 2017
Paola is LOVE :love: She should have her own game. The Renders are top notch. Paola is a Beauty. Eagerly waiting for this awesome VN to continue..

Reactions: hades666

Buster65

Aug 9, 2017
Sooo... What can I say?... All those fans of beautiful women who degrade themselves ... Congratulations! Here is a Visual Novel just for you all! Anyone who has read one or more books or stories written by Dantes, will know how this continues. The beautiful protagonist of this story (quite predictable, I must say) will surrender to her lowest desires ... or, in this case, to the desires of a colorful collection of characters. Some of them have already made an appearance ...
- The creepy old man from the sex shop (she will surely go back to buy some slutty outfits and the old man will have his chance)
- Julio, the fat and sweaty neighbor ... (I dare guess that she will ask him for help with some "housework ... And the fat guy will do the" job " on her)
- Omar, the rustic, ugly and toothless gardener. (Paola is going to need more information or evidence of her husband's affair. And who is going to get the top prize? ... Yeah ... The black dude with the bad breath.)
- Osvaldo, the ugly and disgusting dwarf, rival of her husband (what better revenge than to let your husband's worst enemy, fuck you in his office?)
- Mr. Cerda!! ... probably. Dantes likes to include some depraved old man, fucking the beautiful protagonists.
Anyway... Stoperart's work is exceptional, as always... although we have been waiting for an update at JOHN for three months... (long sigh)
By the way, this is a Visual Novel made in Comic format. In fact, I found it on an online comic page. (I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think his style will change much over time)

hajee

Feb 27, 2020
The model is 10/10 for sure,
but I cant enjoy the view while i read the text,
while the text just cover the whole screen.

FightmeLaiLai

Aug 2, 2019
Sooo... What can I say?... All those fans of beautiful women who degrade themselves ... Congratulations! Here is a Visual Novel just for you all! Anyone who has read one or more books or stories written by Dantes, will know how this continues.
Do you happen to know of any sites that publishes free reading of Dantes, tried googling a bit but no luck? Oh wait, or is that becoz its not available in English from what I can tell from his main site?

Robert Arctor

Nov 1, 2018
SUMMARY
Renders are great.
Writing is ok.
The combination is not fruitful.

WRITING
Average. The characters are all caricatures, none of them feel like real people and all appear to be characterized by a desire to degrade others. The relationship between the protagonist and her husband is never really established before it is destroyed; it's hard to empathize with betrayal if no trust has been built, first, and the husband is introduced as being a deplorable human being to begin with. Finally, some statements are just completely ridiculous - who on Earth would install tinted windows so that you can look from the outside in but not the inside out, and who would believe such a lie?

To be clear, this is not "tl;dr: gimme the pictures". I like reading. I have paid for, read, and liked erotic novels, and some of them have even been on the same theme. This is not a gratuitous critique of the length or the genre.

LAYOUT
I like the vertical format for a graphic novel. The split screens are neat. It looks pretty good on a tablet. I have enjoyed similar formats, for instance by - who in my view is criminally under-appreciated, so go fund him.
However: if you want to make a graphic novel, use text boxes / bubbles, use the layout to guide the viewer's eye and frame the shots accordingly - do not cover the art and its careful arrangement in a wall of text!

COMBINATION
There is no synergy between the text and the pictures. It is actively counterproductive to copy-paste an entire story on top of pictures.

The most obvious example is lengthy description of visual cues. Why keep entire paragraphs describing things and people, e.g. the two dresses in the window, when we can see them in gorgeous and stunning detail with one glance? Not only is the picture hidden, the text feels redundant; this is active encouragement for readers to skip it, and may engender resentment of the waste of time if it happens too often. I would recommend either cutting or re-writing in a completely different style, e.g. as comments or questions made by the people on screen speaking in the first person, not lengthy exposition in the third.

In short, this first version takes little to no advantage of the potential combination of the two media, and the result gives the appearance of being lazy - and I say this with sadness because I know that there's a lot of work in both writing and rendering, so it's really a shame that the sum of the two parts ends up being closer to 1 than 2 because the way they are combined actively detracts from each of them.

stoper

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
The relationship between the protagonist and her husband is never really established before it is destroyed; it's hard to empathize with betrayal if no trust has been built, first, and the husband is introduced as being a deplorable human being to begin with. Finally, some statements are just completely ridiculous - who on Earth would install tinted windows so that you can look from the outside in but not the inside out, and who would believe such a lie?
The way I took it while reading, the husband is unimportant. The story is about Paola's journey through her revenge, the husband is just an asshole who serves as a set up for her story.
The part with the tinted windows is more due to the inside being lit, while the outside is dark. Though, I agree we could've described it a little better.

However: if you want to make a graphic novel, use text boxes / bubbles, use the layout to guide the viewer's eye and frame the shots accordingly - do not cover the art and its careful arrangement in a wall of text!
That would've taken way too much time. Dantes would've had to basically re-write the whole chapter, and there would've been at least twice as much images needed. The goal was to make some images to go along with the book and give it a little visual flare.

shoud we wait for standart style version like Jessica? not like book)
When I get to work on the next chapter. So, not very soon.

xer.0

Feb 7, 2018
Great art, but sad to see that this is what Stoper has been working on instead of Jessica O'Neil...

The idea of a novel within Ren'py is really cool though. Anyone know any more like this?

Hopefully if people see this, devs who have a story but not the computer to render dozens of renders per scene or a hundred for an update can start making more. Lack of interaction kinda will be a bummer, but most starting indie devs games are linear anyways with few choices.

Sep 12, 2017
It was definitely entertaining, the aspect ratio was something to get used to, but I suppose many of you are fapping on your phones. Sad there was no blowjob in the end, but further chapters should be good.

3.30 star(s) 12 Votes