What would you prefer in a future text-based game? (please pick one of each trio)

• Total voters

Elrompeortos2000

Aug 26, 2020
Stratos, ¿Are you planning on adding portraits,videos,images to the game? It would make it a 10/10 If you are looking for portraits I would recommend D&D there are many custom portraits there. These are some examples: for MC or any other characters

Player.jpg

StratosDBG

Game Developer
Mar 11, 2020
I have high standards for things I make, so I'm not particularly interested in using static portraits for the player, especially from other media. The player's appearance is quite variable and even if I attempted to use many different portraits to accommodate every variation combination, they could never match with each other to my standards.

Other characters would be easier, as they would usually only need one or two, but I still would not like using portraits from other sources, as I doubt I could find one matching source that provided all the portraits I needed. So every portrait would likely be using its own style, which is no good for me. And that's not even mentioning having to find royalty-free non-copyrighted images to boot.

The only possible way I can see Paths getting portraits is if it starts making enough money that I can pay a single artist who meets my quality standards to do all the artwork custom for the game. And this is why I decided to add the optional feature for players to add their own portraits. I'll probably be fleshing it out and making it a little more elegantly implemented in the future, but it's currently a low priority.

Reactions: Skalli

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
I have high standards for things I make, so I'm not particularly interested in using static portraits for the player, especially from other media. The player's appearance is quite variable and even if I attempted to use many different portraits to accommodate every variation combination, they could never match with each other to my standards.

Other characters would be easier, as they would usually only need one or two, but I still would not like using portraits from other sources, as I doubt I could find one matching source that provided all the portraits I needed. So every portrait would likely be using its own style, which is no good for me. And that's not even mentioning having to find royalty-free non-copyrighted images to boot.

The only possible way I can see Paths getting portraits is if it starts making enough money that I can pay a single artist who meets my quality standards to do all the artwork custom for the game. And this is why I decided to add the optional feature for players to add their own portraits. I'll probably be fleshing it out and making it a little more elegantly implemented in the future, but it's currently a low priority.
Have you tried ? It would take quite a bit of work and fiddling, but absolutely doable if you want to, say, create a transition from male to female, long to short hair, and so on.

StratosDBG

Game Developer
Mar 11, 2020
I've heard some talk of ai based tools like that, and it is something I'm interested in. I've kept an eye on stuff like AI dungeon and Novel AI as potential writing aids, and something similar that could generate images on the fly based off general criteria would be spectacular, though I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

I really would prefer full-body portraits of all the characters in very similar style and quality, with their clothes and everything. And that seems like an impossibly big ask of something like artbreeder. I suppose if it was just facial portraits it might be workable. It's certainly something I can throw in the idea pile, I just don't know if the result would be good enough to justify all the time sunk into it.

StratosDBG

Game Developer
Mar 11, 2020
Well, not exactly. Not every encounter has options that end in sex. And a female character can still have sex with most of the women a male character could.

StratosDBG

Game Developer
Mar 11, 2020
A small announcement, not quite as exciting as a release but I figured some people might be interested. Also, I'm not sure how good Sponsus is about actually alerting sponsors to stuff so it can't hurt to have my bases covered.

The first poll relating to future game content has gone up on the sponsus as of now. It's a small one to test the waters, I'll be paying close attention to how this goes, and it could factor into how many future polls happen and what their scope will be. This first one is just to determine what kind of kid(s) you have if the dog encounter currently being worked on winds up with the player becoming pregnant.

(Do note you need to be at the Fan tier or above to see polls so if you've downgraded to the $1 Supporter tier you won't be able to see it.)

StratosDBG

Game Developer
Mar 11, 2020
Thread updated for Release 7. This one took a month and a half, despite being pretty simple, mostly due to slamming my head against the map overlapping text issue, with no solution yet, with a little bit of job hunting getting in the way and sapping my energy. It contains a new obstacle encounter, the temple guard dog. You may also notice the tags now include bestiality, so women beware. The next update will probably be the last for the first floor for now and may come a little slower, as the job hunt and possible gainful employment will likely eat into my writing time.

Download: MEGA - WORKUPLOAD - - -

Karakura

Jul 6, 2018
Just a suggestion, but you could place the map in the bottom right instead of the top. There's a bunch of empty space there since the passages where you wander around are comparatively short, and that's the only time you really need the map open so you can hide it when you interact with people/things.

StratosDBG

Game Developer
Mar 11, 2020
Be a woman, encounter the dog, and either mess up confronting it or pick one of the other options. If you're already past the nymph you'll have to start a new playthrough if you're using a save from a previous version.

draxton

Dec 10, 2019
About the map... why not move it to "StoryCaption"? With a bit of UI trickery it can work even if the map grows larger than the limited space the Sidebar has

StratosDBG

Game Developer
Mar 11, 2020
If you're talking about the scene I think, you need quite a few of the points you get from (C) route choices. In fact, you need ALL of the currently available points on the first floor. Which means you need to pick the C route for Kalene, the Lamia, and the more extreme choice for the nymph. Honestly, I might lower it by a point, or add a couple of places where you can score an easy point to make it less stringent because I'm not planning to add more scenes to the first floor for a while after the next release.

Reactions: I'm Canadian bub
Mar 9, 2019
If you're talking about the scene I think, you need quite a few of the points you get from (C) route choices. In fact, you need ALL of the currently available points on the first floor. Which means you need to pick the C route for Kalene, the Lamia, and the more extreme choice for the nymph. Honestly, I might lower it by a point, or add a couple of places where you can score an easy point to make it less stringent because I'm not planning to add more scenes to the first floor for a while after the next release.
Uh, where do you encounter the Lamia?

4.60 star(s) 14 Votes