Elinan

Jul 28, 2018
I have to agree on that, based on what you said.
"Highlife" first release exceeded expectations and then... Still trying to figure out if some projects are really meant to go all the way or not.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that game. It's sad it never got a single update and was abandoned. Looked like a very promising game like this one. What happened?

Gammatroni

Jan 8, 2020
Neko Paradise
Thread Updated
: 2020-07-25
Polarity
Thread Updated
: 2020-06-27

And small note from SirDammed under Polarity :"Expect new releases every 30-55 days since I don't typically do small/incremental updates"

So that's that.
And I didnt post it to rant about them or whatever, im not a hater or other sh** Im just stating my opinion on this, and that's it.

Ricardo Sousa

Feb 17, 2018
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that game. It's sad it never got a single update and was abandoned. Looked like a very promising game like this one. What happened?
Elinan, to be honest, can't tell for sure. Some said that Erosion was over their heads regarding the project at hands.
Seems that the MC also was "refreshed" (sadly), but I don't recall to have seen a final answer given to patrons.

And yes, that first release was something, I really enjoyed how they worked the renders.

That's why I said before, some projects seem that are released with the sole purpose of getting attention and patrons, but it's just an opinion, peace.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Elinan, to be honest, can't tell for sure. Some said that Erosion was over their heads regarding the project at hands.
Seems that the MC also was "refreshed" (sadly), but I don't recall to have seen a final answer given to patrons.

And yes, that first release was something, I really enjoyed how they worked the renders.

That's why I said before, some projects seem that are released with the sole purpose of getting attention and patrons, but it's just an opinion, peace.
I took a glance at that game since you mentioned it. The renders look amazing, not going to play it as I don't want to mourn another game (still trying to get over the loss of Bad Teacher). When it comes to this game I keep trying to stay positive because even though they don't communicate consistently, and it has been too long since the initial release, there is at least some communication and I figure beggars can't be choosers (or pirates can't be choosy I suppose). That said, I don't have a lot of faith that this game will be completed if updates will take this long each time.

_13_

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2020
This game has a great start and a huge amount of promise. Hopefully, we'll get the long awaited update soon. I'm looking forward to wetting my pants over it.

fabulous007

Dec 30, 2019
I agree and in that regard, Radiant seems like a jackpot for the creators (just my humble opinion, no hatred or anything like that). The separate patreon page for this game earned an immense amount by now and it probably brought light to the respective own games of the two creators (which may have been the point). Personally I don't think I've ever seen such a success compared with the amount that was actually released. And the game is so good that they know no matter what they do now (like delays without freezing the payments), people will continue following them, no matter what. That's the privilege of the successful ones I guess, but hey who knows what ones would do in their shoes.

atlas114

Engaged Member
May 4, 2017
per their Discord yesterday afternoon when responding to a question on "where's the update?" Since they are unable (or unwilling) to provide a more targeted release date or range of dates, all we can do is speculate. I still think end of October seems like a good goal

Alorth:
Yesterday at 2:56 PM
:aniblobsweat:

we are working on it

• Angry
Reactions: BigDaddyDom

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
per their Discord yesterday afternoon when responding to a question on "where's the update?" Since they are unable (or unwilling) to provide a more targeted release date or range of dates, all we can do is speculate. I still think end of October seems like a good goal

Alorth:

we are working on it
Well, good to know they are working on it... I am sure some people on here are very skeptical of that fact.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020

Alorth:

we are working on it
Well, good to know they are working on it... I am sure some people on here are very skeptical of that fact.
Well a week ago it was it should be done in a few days....3 days ago now they said there would be an update in 2 days...that was yesterday....

And all they give out..is we're working on it? ROFL....I'll not say my usual, rather this post not be deleted for the 20th time.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Well a week ago it was it should be done in a few days....3 days ago now they said there would be an update in 2 days...that was yesterday....

And all they give out..is we're working on it? ROFL....I'll not say my usual, rather this post not be deleted for the 20th time.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall and listen in on their conversations. I'm really curious to know if the delays are because of disagreements or software/hardware or real world issues or all of the above.

And yeah, this thread is my most deleted post thread. Supposedly I am so off topic that I must be accidentally posting Wine Club reviews... LOL

likeWhatever

Jul 31, 2019
All of the complaints won't matter if they'll be able to deliver on promises regarding the game itself and it turns out it's awesome. So there's still plenty of hope left, don't give up guys(y)

• Angry
Reactions: BigDaddyDom

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
All of the complaints won't matter if they'll be able to deliver on promises regarding the game itself and it turns out it's awesome. So there's still plenty of hope left, don't give up guys(y)
But can they at this point? Really? The anticipation, of some people, is so high that no matter how well rendered/written or long the next update they won't be happy. They are between a rock and a hard place because of the length of the wait and the build up.

I don't envy them at this point.

BurnerGuy

Aug 27, 2018
But can they at this point? Really? The anticipation, of some people, is so high that no matter how well rendered/written or long the next update they won't be happy. They are between a rock and a hard place because of the length of the wait and the build up.

I don't envy them at this point.
Part of the problem is that they've backed themselves into a corner with the update timeline.

In marketing, there's a fine balance between creating anticipation and keeping momentum, and the momentum has definitely suffered here. The anticipation has as well, because it's shifted from "I can't wait to play the next part!" to "how many years is this going to take before I get to start fucking the girls?" There's also an issue with certain big name devs who have blatantly exploited their supporters, and through no fault of their own, Dammed and Alorth have to take into account that there's a lot of skepticism when there's any sort of delay.

I've been a patron since the release, and I'm still confident that the update is going to meet or beat expectations (these are exceptionally talented developers, after all), but my personal expectation for whether or not to continue supporting is based on their communication just following the update. Is 1 or 2 updates per year what we should plan for? If not, what specifically will be done to change that? If the plan is to have just 2 hours of gameplay per year, then that's absolutely fine for the folks that are patient enough for that, or whose support is based purely on whether they like the game or not. Me...I'm patient, but not that patient. And if the timeline is static regardless of income, that's not what I base my patronage on. I still think Radiant is head and shoulders above most games on here, and I'm sure I'll keep an eye on it, but I haven't got even close to my money's worth. I mean, I could have bought an X-Box and a game for what I've contributed so far, and that would have been about 5000% more gameplay, just without the 10 seconds of nipples.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Part of the problem is that they've backed themselves into a corner with the update timeline.
Yes, and until they release this pending update and show that they can release on a consistent schedule, with consistent communication, I don't see the pressure letting up soon.

In marketing, there's a fine balance between creating anticipation and keeping momentum, and the momentum has definitely suffered here. The anticipation has as well, because it's shifted from "I can't wait to play the next part!" to "how many years is this going to take before I get to start fucking the girls?" There's also an issue with certain big name devs who have blatantly exploited their supporters, and through no fault of their own, Dammed and Alorth have to take into account that there's a lot of skepticism when there's any sort of delay.
The fact that all developers are judged because of the actions of a few is one of the most frustrating parts of this community/game genre. I am not saying that criticism isn't warranted but the idea that every dev who misses a deadline is immediately accused of milking or compared to the more egregious developers is frustrating. Especially considering the year we are all experiencing.

I've been a patron since the release, and I'm still confident that the update is going to meet or beat expectations (these are exceptionally talented developers, after all), but my personal expectation for whether or not to continue supporting is based on their communication just following the update. Is 1 or 2 updates per year what we should plan for? If not, what specifically will be done to change that? If the plan is to have just 2 hours of gameplay per year, then that's absolutely fine for the folks that are patient enough for that, or whose support is based purely on whether they like the game or not. Me...I'm patient, but not that patient. And if the timeline is static regardless of income, that's not what I base my patronage on. I still think Radiant is head and shoulders above most games on here, and I'm sure I'll keep an eye on it, but I haven't got even close to my money's worth. I mean, I could have bought an X-Box and a game for what I've contributed so far, and that would have been about 5000% more gameplay, just without the 10 seconds of nipples.
I am glad you are so confident about the update. I am not as optimistic about the content or length of what comes next. Especially when it means we get two updates this year and, for all we know, every year. In my opinion it is too early to say this game is better than most game on F95 considering we've had exactly one release. There are some absolutely great games on this site and Radiant, though it had a promising start, needs more content before it will dethrone those games.

Overall, though I am still very interested to see what is coming up with this game, the fact that two experienced developers can't release more than one update this year makes me skeptical that we shall see consistent releases afterwards. As someone who has defended them, and received plenty of facepalms for it, I am starting to be worn out with the waiting and silence.

4.30 star(s) 271 Votes