magrao121

Apr 1, 2019
thanks, do I need to play all the 8 games before this? is the history progressing? I don't know anything about this series.

tcaz

Dec 11, 2020
thanks, do I need to play all the 8 games before this? is the history progressing? I don't know anything about this series.
It is, and I would recommend playing them if you can/have the interest.

If you don't want to start from the very beginning for whatever reason, Rance 6 or Sengoku Rance (7) are pretty good entry points too. They do reference old games, but most of the plot and characters in them aren't reliant on the ones before. Quest (8) and this one are pretty reliant on old ones, though.

Doublefrost

Jun 29, 2017
While you don't strictly NEED to play the older games, the overall story has a great deal of hidden depth and nuance. Far more than you'd expect given how the protagonist and overall theme of the story is. My first game in this series was Sengoku Rance which is the 7th game in the series. I didn't know a lot of the recurring characters and references but still enjoyed the game. Then I went back and played through the first 5 and gave 7 another go. The story was far, far more engaging with the context and certain events I won't post because it's major spoilers were genuinely upsetting once I actually got to know the characters involved in those events.

Reactions: magrao121

Reid7

Aug 4, 2017
Anyone got any a cheat engine for this game? I wanna max the gold and HMP so I can blitz all the battles and read the story and watch h-scenes. I've been anticipating the release of Rance 9 for years and I'm super excited to see the story.

Jan 28, 2018
You really need to play the other games here and here. I say this because I played a bit of Rance X and the payoff of following the story and character is satisfying as you meet the end of their own character arcs plus it is a massive game (we're talking about 100-200 hours of playtime here). It's like the Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame of ero games. Just look at the cast of characters listed here on . I highly recommend playing Rance plus the gameplay is quite nice especially Sengoku Rance if you like strategy games.

Reactions: magrao121

petersenk

Mar 9, 2018
However, you would think they put so much effort to make the 3d battles to perfection, they would do something to anime the CGs … but no, still the same old still pictures and no voice either.
That's certainly true and a bit of a shame, but the writing of Rance H scenes are some of the best around. Not always too sexy, but always lots of fun (until it isn't. Rance isn't exactly the best with virgins, if you ask me, and he could really put some more effort into getting them wet and relaxed a bit maybe, even if he only cares about himself... but it's rance, and he likes it a bit rapey - which is fine in my books, it's just some chars don't really deserve to be treated this harsh, not for their first time anyways, that must be rather traumatic, bwahaha. what a stupid dickhead, rance... and then, when he actually has a bad bitch right in front of him, he's rather constraint in comparison, not really sure if this is a bit of a char or a writing oddity/problem, anyways...)

I'm into the third chapter now, about to kick Nero's dumb ass. Time for some first impressions. The good stuff first:
  • Level 1 Kanami H Scene. Love it.
  • Shizu underpants shot during her special move (not that 3d graphics are good, but it's still a great shot. absolutely nakadashi.)
Questionable stuff:
  • Chessboard fights with a single attack and a single special move per char (some may also wait, charge, and some have passives that may activate).
  • ...and gear (weapons, armor) is fixed? I did read somewhere that attack upgrades would be taken over to another weapon, so some chars might get something new, I guess. But doesn't look like this is a big deal? At all? No finding new shiny weapons and rare stuff and shuffling it around to chars, nothing? Uhhh, uhhh...
  • And then enemies spawn out of fucking nowhere, right behind you, where your magicians and healers are, and not from where you'd expect further reinforcements to come from. Lovely.
Fighting seems rather lame so far, and I sure hope it gets better soon. With only one attack (and a special attack) this doesn't seem to be very deep/interesting. And healing seems to be even limited to a few heals. Huhh. Do chars ever get more attack variants at all? And then you've got a shared power meter for the whole crew, so you gotta decide which special you wanna really use... Uhhh, uuhhhuuu.

I'm not convinced, nor impressed so far. And I sure hope this will pick up some steam/juice/anything real quick.

Question: does gold have any other purposes other than upgrading weapons and armor? And could someone - slowly - explain the armor part to me? So far, I've just put all my gold into upgrading weapons (what a dumb system with those misses and tripple upgrades - it literally adds nothing, statistically speaking) since I do get to keep all that. But armor will be reduced if hit, so the question here basically is what is that armor worth and when? Is this supposed to be for special fights only? For later in the game? Am I supposed to maintain that shit at a constant 100% for all chars (from some point on)? I have absolutely no feeling for how to handle armor and what to invest in this, so any words on this matter would be welcome.

The bad:
  • Level 1 Russian H Scene. Terrible, even by Rance's standards. Anyways... so, she's the Sill replacement for the time being. Sexy slave and a healer. And there will be some backstory, meaning she is probably someone, someone. Got it. Why not. I like it. But for fucks sake, make her first time just a little bit nicer? She did literally nothing wrong. She didn't even refuse. Good slave and all. And then that. That poor girl has sex PTSD now, for crying out loud (she did).
    Merci's scene wasn't much better either, but at least there was some funny blackmailing going on (and it seems to develop great from here on out, eeeeek.., gahaha).
  • 3D graphics are ugly, add absolutely nothing and don't age well. Sengoku still looks fantastic, and even Kichikuou is still very nice (just very lacking in sprites for at least some animation). All chessboard maps could be awesome pixel graphics (with perspective too), same for chars with a bunch of attack variants, effects and what not. And don't get me wrong, it doesn't need to be hipster pixel graphics. Just... something nice to look at? Rance VI sprites looked awesome and even lewd, where applicable, full of S O U L. This lowpoly 3D nonsense is garbage. Chars need to be nice and lewd, always, not just in H scenes and on stat screens, but in particular during regular gameplay/fighting. For fucks sake.
  • ...which also just might make the fighting a bit quicker and more smooth. Why the fuck can't I turn off these dumb 3D animations for good/as default? This interface is stupid. You have to toggle the animation off for every single use, and there's also nothing in the config? Am I dumb/blind or is the game dumb?
  • Chessboard level design so far is lackluster, if not annoying. Movement could be interesting, but not like this, it barely matters. Levels are too small (given the amount chars may move around anyways) and uninteresting. The fuck does it really add? Take that 5-star difficulty Gurang super extra level that just popped up, it doesn't even matter where anybody is and a simple rance quest setup would do just fine, if not much better/cleaner. Meh.
    I do hope levels will get larger, with less respawning of enemies out of thin air, so you'd end up with something like a classical jagged alliance gameplay, that could be nice, but I wont hold my breath... From what I get so far, there will be a completely different game mode later on, which just means they dropped the ball on this chessboard thing, couldn't really improve it and said, fuck it, move on, we try something else, maybe that's gonna be fun, or something. I don't know.

...yeah, mostly not so good so far. Not really sure why everyone else seems to be so happy with this? Hmmm, I'll keep playing, see what happens. Maybe I'll catch a gal monster, I don't know. There will be gal monsters, to be caught, right?

Reactions: Tebix and mrericsan

mrericsan

Sep 21, 2021
That's certainly true and a bit of a shame, but the writing of Rance H scenes are some of the best around. Not always too sexy, but always lots of fun
... Hmmm, I'll keep playing, see what happens. Maybe I'll catch a gal monster, I don't know. There will be gal monsters, to be caught, right?
I agree the writing is pretty decent as always even without any animation, i will still play through it just because Rance is such an "outstanding" character.
There are gal monster. I am in chapter 3 and i saw 2 lucky can can so far, sadly both got away.

petersenk

Mar 9, 2018
i saw 2 lucky can can so far, sadly both got away.
You idiot. :D

But don't worry, it probably works like monkey balls and dango treasures (and attack gacha based on a fixed seed, lol, there's really no fucking point in this...), meaning that it's perfectly linear and deterministic (or strictly capped, so you just redo everything until you get everything), so that can can will show up until you get it and then that's that.
Basically, from what I understand, you can't farm for anything special, which is another design aspect I'm not particularly happy with (not much joy of adventure in any of this). But I might be mistaken with the can can's, who knows. Good to hear there are some.

Muff Diver

Gaming Legend & LoneWolf
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 18, 2016
I'm happy its finally here!!
Thanks to OP for Adding Rance Collection 1-7 to OP.

Last edited:

Whooohooo

May 1, 2021
woah i got a goosebumps just reading the title...
it been so long since rance quest magnum got translate :HideThePain:

Trecore

Aug 7, 2019
All rance games have diferent type of gameplay.
Rance IX have a turn base battle system with units and squares where you need to move your unit and attack.

I do not recommend start playing rance saga with IX.
You have the 01 remake and 02 remake to start the whole saga.
https://f95zone.to/threads/rance-series-ch-1-2-remastered-ch-1-7-kichikuou-alicesoft.456/

Rance 01 remake
Rance 02 remake
Rance 03 remake (only jp for now) play Rance III instead (very old)
Rance IV (old version, very old)
Rance 5D (the worst game of the saga)
Rance VI (one of te best)
Sengoku Rance (best of the best)
Rance quest (good)
Rance IX (here we go)
Rance X (only jp)
I wish we got all versions on phone so I could play it anywhere if not I don't think I will sacrifice my time a whole month just to enjoy story.

molitar

Engaged Member
Sep 22, 2016
Uggh.. compared to other Rances this is too disgusting for me. Almost vore/guru the abuse the girls go through. I'll be avoiding this one.

YdenMkII

Dec 2, 2018
Question: does gold have any other purposes other than upgrading weapons and armor? And could someone - slowly - explain the armor part to me? So far, I've just put all my gold into upgrading weapons (what a dumb system with those misses and tripple upgrades - it literally adds nothing, statistically speaking) since I do get to keep all that. But armor will be reduced if hit, so the question here basically is what is that armor worth and when? Is this supposed to be for special fights only? For later in the game? Am I supposed to maintain that shit at a constant 100% for all chars (from some point on)? I have absolutely no feeling for how to handle armor and what to invest in this, so any words on this matter would be welcome.
Best I can tell is that armor in general goes down when hit not just the upgrades. If you check your character stats in battle, you'll notice the armor bar draining over time. I'm not sure the exact mechanics but I'd imagine the main point of upgrading is so it takes longer for the armor to hit 0 but I'm not sure how the drain is calculated.

4.50 star(s) 19 Votes