ut1stgear

Feb 7, 2018
Literally scroll up and youll find the answer
Yeah and thanks for the clarification. Having now finished ch 4 RTP has caught my imagination especially with the crossover. However I don't think the crossover will end since 2 of the characters, 1 being a major character of Al. Short of killing them both off, AL will be a part of RTP for some time. Of course doing that would follow the style of AL. This is not a game I enjoy as much but after ch 4 I am enjoying it more and at least want to continue playing for at least 2 more episodes. Curiosity has caught this cat for now.

Ignatz

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow
Donor
Feb 17, 2018
It should be noted that the "major" character from AL is a relatively minor character here, used mostly to bridge the cameo appearances from that game.

RtP stands on its own. Outside of the cameos, there is nothing similar about the stories in the games. The major characters here have nothing to do with AL and vice versa.

From what I gather, the Knobby one plans to explore the relationship part of the characters in the next update, specifically the delicious dynamic between Vicky and Nicky. Which one wins the heart of Jensen?

I don't see this going the MSN way, as this appears to be an action-based game rather than romance, so it will be interesting to see if choosing one over the other leads to harrowing in-game consequences.

That should be fun...and that's not even getting into the mysterious military experiments and secret missions on top of secrets going on...

ut1stgear

Feb 7, 2018
That should be fun...and that's not even getting into the mysterious military experiments and secret missions on top of secrets going on...
This is the part that has caught my curiosity. For right now I have gone with Nicky because that path has the mos cameos from AL. I still think the cameos with the 2 characters will stay in the game but are in no way affected by or carry forward the other story. The two games are definitely different but I do love how @MrKnobb has used the cameos. Great story telling by both authors.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Very few Nicky supporters but i think after Ch5... mmmmm let's see

This is the part that has caught my curiosity. For right now I have gone with Nicky because that path has the mos cameos from AL. I still think the cameos with the 2 characters will stay in the game but are in no way affected by or carry forward the other story. The two games are definitely different but I do love how @MrKnobb has used the cameos. Great story telling by both authors.

Reactions: Jeanjacquouile

ut1stgear

Feb 7, 2018
Very few Nicky supporters but i think after Ch5... mmmmm let's see
Guess that puts ahead of power curve then. I may go back for the Vicky path though just to see. I was hoping whatever he was given would reduce his sexual attraction and the size of his weapon but it only increased his stamina and shut down his sweat glands.

uzi76527

Oct 6, 2018
fuck the Rena scene was fucking awesome!! btw how did the game know my name in Acting Lessons?! is it because I have it in my pc? I was pleasantly surprised :D

anyways really nice game in its own rights!!!!

RonnieH

Aug 7, 2018
fuck the Rena scene was fucking awesome!! btw how did the game know my name in Acting Lessons?! is it because I have it in my pc? I was pleasantly surprised :D

anyways really nice game in its own rights!!!!
Yeah, it's saved in a temp file or something like that. Same reason why all of your saves work for new updates. Ren'Py has a separate folder that is saved.

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
So, there I am playing the latest update of another of my favorite VNs, (and one that I think has even better writing than 'Acting Lessons') when I bump into someone very familiar...

screenshot0002.png

So, Mr Knobb has yet another awesome crossover/tie-in going on, and with yet another really awesome story too.

ut1stgear

Feb 7, 2018
So, there I am playing the latest update of another of my favorite VNs, (and one that I think has even better writing than 'Acting Lessons') when I bump into someone very familiar...

View attachment 173845

So, Mr Knobb has yet another awesome crossover/tie-in going on, and with yet another really awesome story too.
Yep and he's humble about it, at least here on the thread, which is great.

Reactions: RogueKnightUK

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Thx ya'll... for clarification Ced and I only did this on a whim and there will be no more crossover/colab i am afraid. It's more out of liking for each others game and was a cool idea.
Acting Lessons was more a crossover for me and to me is an amazing game in it's own right as we all know. But as far as crossovers/colabs you will get to see the last of any such things in Chapter 5 of RTP.

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
I think that's for the best. RtP can stand on its own legs and the cameos, while cute, are really more a distraction, as opposed to advancing the narrative.

Fun, but too much of anything is not a good thing.
Well, yes, too much is, by definition, too much. But exactly how much is too much is always a lot harder to define. :)

The cameos are novel, and novelty is a good thing when it is still rare enough to be novel. The rarity is more about the number of people/games doing it, than how many in one game.

Did you ever watch "The Usual Suspects", one of my all-time favourite movies? It is absolutely packed full of references to other stories.

For a start, the title itself is a reference to the classic movie Casablanca, in which the cop says "round up the usual suspects" a couple of times for when they are creating a fake line-up - perfect reference, and a little nod to real movie fans that shows an appreciation for the artform itself.

Then there's the lawyer in it, played by Pete Postlethwaite, but the name of the lawyer is Kobayashi - another reference, this time to the infamous Star Trek storyline of The Kobayashi Maru - an unwinnable situation.

There's plenty of others, not least the "Elvis has left the building"line. All those little references are there to reward and acknowledge the viewer, a nod of recognition to shared culture references and tastes.

Ever watch "Reservoir Dogs"? Did you spot that the threeway gun faceoff in it is a direct reference to the classic spaghetti western "The Good, the bad, and the Ugly"? It mirrors the infamous threeway faceoff in that (which was the first time a major film had used 'cuts' to extend a moment of relative inaction, rather than remove it.

Cameos and culture references are there to share something special with the viewer - a nod of recognition and camaraderie between the developer and those in the audience that get the references. You can't really have too many of them, you can only have them be too unnatural, too forced, or too jarring.

Characters turning up where appropriate to their character and situation can't really be overdone, unless you jarringly force the situations for them to appear in. If Nicky suddenly starts turning up in every clothing boutique in games that have no thematic similarities at all, well, that could be jarring indeed, and would be 'too much'.

But if a game needs a security company where the owner is ex-military in Jensen's home town, well it may be equally 'too much' to suddenly expect us to believe there are dozens of such companies all thriving.

The context is more important than how many times/games are involved.

Ignatz

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow
Donor
Feb 17, 2018
Ahoy, swabbies! Have the seas been just a bit too calm? Aye, thar be some chop in the water, just not that you've seen. Cap'n Knobb has some words to share with ye. Words all you scurvy dogs could get for yerselves, were ye to be a patron of his. Now, if any of you sea dogs can read, here it be...

I would venture we are now at 85% for Chapter 5.

The last month for me personally been difficult. Dealing with some tough personal issue's which have had an effect on the development speed. So BIG apology for that.

We are... we'll getting there.

So here's where we are at. Chapter 5 will not be as long as previous versions but it is a very important one as you will see. Character building is very important and we'll some weird things will transpire.

* 680 lines of code more to be done
* 161 images more to come
* NO animation ???
* 14 image series animations
* 1 sound clip maybe more

.:Lataz:.

VincentBlack

Aug 11, 2018
Am I the only that kept flashing back to the Adam Wingard movie "The Guest"? Even down to the the MCs look, backstory and mannerisms. I kept waiting for the dark turn in the story.

3.80 star(s) 77 Votes