RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
... i find it sad that we players don't crave for both (visuals and story) and rate accordingly (not to mention technical and graphical issues that can come up - i found some but no one mentions em in reviews).
Can't speak for everyone, but I know quite a few of the folks who've posted here, including myself, love a good story in addition to good visuals, and rate accordingly for the entire experience. Just that, as several have said, not everone will enjoy the same experience in the same way - it is subjective, subject to a million personal factors of tastes, life experiences, and even mood.

I've seen many games where the visuals, while good, were not great, and yet got praised just as hard as the good story. I've also seen games where the artwork was stunning, but the story, even allowing for Engrish, was pretty shallow, juvenile, and utterly unrealistic, do well. It takes all sorts.

When you rate something, anything, or give any kind of review, it's always best to give some insight into what your own experiences and tastes may be, as without that, all we have is one person's subjective opinion, without even the reference points to know if we share any common tastes with the writer. But since we don't get to set rules and train people into how to write great reviews, you have to go to plan B - assume they are telling the truth from their own experiences and perceptions, and live and let live.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
first reasonable and honest answer i got there ^^. text only games don't do it for me either. and you might be right what ya said there. yet i find it sad that we players don't crave for both (visuals and story) and rate accordingly (not to mention technical and graphical issues that can come up - i found some but no one mentions em in reviews). kinda reminds me of todays gaming standards especially triple a games, lots of graphic but not much to back it up.

okay enough talking on my side now (before i piss off too many people here). just felt like answering ya.
Only need to check Milfy City to see that in action.

It's a basic incest plot and throw in a bit of revenge rape because we all know ruining someones life with rape and blackmail is the only response to a teacher turning down a date with a minor that would risk her career if not jail time.

That gets 5 stars from a lot of people because the animation doesn't look awful.

Then again you also have Last Sovereign that has text based sex scenes and I gave that 5 stars purely for the writing and characters. I don't need visuals if everything else hooks me.

DocPink did not like that i had a very small cameo done with Our Fate. He pulled all Acting Lessons parts.
Gotta love that maturity.

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
ya don't have to remind me what different tastes mean... really,... :cautious::confused:...
i just think that some reviewers are too easygoing with their ratings. 4,5 stars means, it's an almost perfect game.
Please leave a review that you think is more fair if you think the current set of reviews is giving people the wrong expectation. It's the nature of online reviews that everything tends towards perfect, but the only way to combat that is by example.

Reactions: RogueKnightUK

Daxter250

Forum Fanatic
Sep 17, 2017
Only need to check Milfy City to see that in action.

It's a basic incest plot and throw in a bit of revenge rape because we all know ruining someones life with rape and blackmail is the only response to a teacher turning down a date with a minor that would risk her career if not jail time.

That gets 5 stars from a lot of people because the animation doesn't look awful.

Then again you also have Last Sovereign that has text based sex scenes and I gave that 5 stars purely for the writing and characters. I don't need visuals if everything else hooks me.

true there. last sovereign however isn't only text, it also has sprites and actual gameplay ^^. the thing is also, that text can easily written (that's where writing skills come into play) while for visuals ya need money (if ya can't draw e.g. ya gotta hire an artist) - and let's face it, ya can't expect a coder and writer to also draw like a professional or have enough money on the bank to get all assets he needs). i heard that the dev from the last sovereign wanted to hire an artist (since he got enough money to do so), but no one wants to draw, 'cause it would be way too much work to handle. again, just heard it, dunno if it's true.

bagger288: if the dev desires it i will do so. other than that it takes up to 3 hours for me to write one review and a lot of planning (for the last review e.g. i took notes during my playthrough). as long as i don't see my review being helpful to others, i won't write it, 3 hours of writing+ gameplay + planning and taking notes for one single review is quite a lot of time and i rather use it for something else xD.

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
Honestly, sounds more like stress. His ambitions were such that I was more surprised the crossover happened in the first place than I am with the apparent burnout - but then, we the audience see very little.

I actually like the fact that @MrKnobb has added more references to games he likes, because it fits with the early Supernatural scene and is in keeping with established themes. While I didn't particularly enjoy the references themselves, I do like the game establishing itself as a sort of layer universe.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Brilliant, you get it. Why limit ourselves especially in VN's to the box view of how things are suppose to be?

Universes can cross over in VN world, most of them. Take Depraved, if Philly and myself wanted, Stella could've been Vicky's twin sister... and who better to appear in DA than Vicky and Jensen for instance.
Why not have a cross romance between two different games? "Somebody steal that idea lol..."

Honestly, sounds more like stress. His ambitions were such that I was more surprised the crossover happened in the first place than I am with the apparent burnout - but then, we the audience see very little.

I actually like the fact that @MrKnobb has added more references to games he likes, because it fits with the early Supernatural scene and is in keeping with established themes. While I didn't particularly enjoy the references themselves, I do like the game establishing itself as a sort of layer universe.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
i heard that the dev from the last sovereign wanted to hire an artist (since he got enough money to do so), but no one wants to draw, 'cause it would be way too much work to handle. again, just heard it, dunno if it's true.
She spoke to a few artists but none of them could commit the amount of time it would require to do the art for 150+ scenes when that number is still going.

It would take a hell of a lot of work and she wanted it to be done by one artist to stay consistent but for that many hours it would be the only job they could do on top of whatever they have going on in their lives, I can see why it's hard to find someone. That's not even touching the amount of money she'd need to pay them. Some charge between $20 and $50 per picture and for over 150 scenes each requiring a handful of pictures, she'd have to pay out thousands on art alone.

LP83

Engaged Member
Oct 13, 2016
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Daxter250

Forum Fanatic
Sep 17, 2017
She spoke to a few artists but none of them could commit the amount of time it would require to do the art for 150+ scenes when that number is still going.

It would take a hell of a lot of work and she wanted it to be done by one artist to stay consistent but for that many hours it would be the only job they could do on top of whatever they have going on in their lives, I can see why it's hard to find someone. That's not even touching the amount of money she'd need to pay them. Some charge between $20 and $50 per picture and for over 150 scenes each requiring a handful of pictures, she'd have to pay out thousands on art alone.
fingers crossed that she still will be able to find someone in the future.

Iven71

Aug 13, 2018
I´m really curious if the Major isn´t also a important Person from Jensen´s past?
When she rans to Jensen while Wrestling with the death, she seems to know him pretty well.

Maybe she is Jade?
The dead girlfriend from him?
Because finally adam evidently came also back from the dead.
We are eager to see what happens in the second part of RTP.

WaltS

Si vis pacem para bellum
Donor
Apr 4, 2018
I´m really curious if the Major isn´t also a important Person from Jensen´s past?
When she rans to Jensen while Wrestling with the death, she seems to know him pretty well.

Maybe she is Jade?
The dead girlfriend from him?
Because finally adam evidently came also back from the dead.
We are eager to see what happens in the second part of RTP.
Well she is one of the 'super soldiers' at least. The Gen mentions as much. Whether she's Jade remains to be seen but I doubt it as she surely would've gotten in touch w/ Jensen, right? After all he was neither KIA nor MIA.

Reactions: RogueKnightUK
3.80 star(s) 77 Votes