Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I need more Jessica! And my roommate says he need more Tricia! (He can't log in his account for some reason. I will share your comments until he logs back into his account. Btw, he is Kane_Freeman.)
Fairly sure the next update from Ferdafs has: Tricia, Jessica, and Morticia in it, so, you're in luck? More Jessica is indeed on it's way? I'm no doing much with her because, well, there isn't much too do with her. Plus that would be treading into future content.

Reactions: Kananartans

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
So, I'm currently working my way through editing this mess I've created by implementing the new major name feature (that's a bit of hyperbole, mostly only minor errors), but I have been finding lots of other small mistakes along the way. I've been working with English my whole life, writing in it fairly frequently and extensively (most would say too extensively), but I keep encountering rules for stuff I never even thought about, until I had to deal with it in code.

Such as, did you know commas are supposed to go both before and after someone's name when addressing them directly? I sure as hell fucking didn't, I just drop commas where, they, feel, like they,,,(,,,,,,,) should go! So, uh yeah, today is being solely devoted to adding commas (around names) across the game. Fun.

Also, also, I want to take a moment to bring up the request list (holy shit, you forgot that was thing, didn't you?). I haven't been great about updating it here as I finish stuff, nor communicating that I changed it (how would anyone know I changed it?) the way I feel like I want/should be doing. (it's only half worked like I thought it would, which is being a list for me to keep track of things. Communication, not as much).

So, I'm gonna try and be better about including mentions to it in posts going forward as I do update it here. Additionally, I have indeed made an update to it, and changed the format in which I list completed items (now sorted by update number, so you can see when things were put in, and what's ready for the next patch).

But part of this post is sort of an open question. Does anyone look at the request, do find it helpful?

WatsonTouya

Dec 17, 2019
While fucking around in Ren'Py I tried to figure out how to animate layeredimage group attributes for the sake of storage. The game crashed when I tried to link multiple image directories to the attribute to animate on repeat. So in a .rpy I made an image with it's own label that was a functioning loop using images with transparency(to save space). I then entered that images label into the attribute I wanted to animate and it worked!
Screenshot (194).png Screenshot (195).png
So if I'm right about this then you could make a transparent blink animation loop in pngs, give it it's own image label and animate it in a .rpy script, then enter it's label in the eye attributes for characters, and now they can blink! I'd do it myself but I'd prefer to do it with the uncompressed files, and I'm really focused on ball fondlers.
Screenshot (193).png
And I'm lazy. So blink request maybe?
: P

Let's see if you can spot the new feature added to this page
Could you have Morticia's incest entry instead be "Twins:Off/On" since I'm assuming that's still how it works?

But part of this post is sort of an open question. Does anyone look at the request, do find it helpful?
Yes I look at the request list.
: P

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
While fucking around in Ren'Py I tried to figure out how to animate layeredimage group attributes for the sake of storage. The game crashed when I tried to link multiple image directories to the attribute to animate on repeat. So in a .rpy I made an image with it's own label that was a functioning loop using images with transparency(to save space). I then entered that images label into the attribute I wanted to animate and it worked!
Screenshot (194).png Screenshot (194).png Screenshot (195).png Screenshot (195).png
So if I'm right about this then you could make a transparent blink animation loop in pngs, give it it's own image label and animate it in a .rpy script, then enter it's label in the eye attributes for characters, and now they can blink! I'd do it myself but I'd prefer to do it with the uncompressed files, and I'm really focused on ball fondlers.
Screenshot (193).png Screenshot (193).png
And I'm lazy. So blink request maybe?
That is a good solution! I tried (very briefly) to get animations to work in layered images way back, but couldn't find a good way to do it (I had lots of other issues to solve, so I didn't try very hard, or spend a lot of time on it). Using an image object is the obvious solution, but it just never occurred to me. I'll look into finding a way to add it, it would be a massive undertaking so not until next patch if I do go for it.

But, added onto the request list under features all the same.

Edit:
Actually, the more I think about this, the easier I think it will be to put in, as I already have the eye poses, I just need to put the new animation in them instead of the images. Beth and Tricia will be a bit more tricky what with having eyelashes, but this might be a chance to clean them up too (I've always hated the separate eyelashes and I'm not sure I ever need to make them hat way to being with). Will work on it tomorrow.

Could you have Morticia's incest entry instead be "Twins:Off/On" since I'm assuming that's still how it works?
do_over_settings2.png
Done. Her dialog is largely unchanged. Although she will now also say "Beth" instead of "Mom" when talking to/about her if you have turned Beth's incest to low.

Yes I look at the request list.
Alright, at least one person uses it, so that's something!

Last edited:

wibbled

Dec 11, 2020
Such as, did you know commas are supposed to go both before and after someone's name when addressing them directly?
I'm dylsexic, but I write quite a lot too. Before the internet, I relied on dictionaries and others editing for me. Now I use plug in apps. "Grammar & Spell Checker — LanguageTool" browser plug in works well, and is good at highlighting missing commas, and more.

Fairly sure the next update from Ferdafs has: Tricia, Jessica, and Morticia in it
I was hoping for more original Summer, perhaps with wild Summer looking on (as Dr. Wong advised), then joining in. Oh well, maybe next patch.

Reactions: Night Mirror

kenta16807

Oct 1, 2020
...commas... Does anyone look at the request, do find it helpful?
I think it is safe to say that almost no one knows the, correct, use of the comma.

Don't know where to put them in my own language, much less English...

Just sprinkle them on where they seem to fit like the rest of us ;)

I read the request (looking for low hangin fruit...none found...)

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I'm dylsexic, but I write quite a lot too. Before the internet, I relied on dictionaries and others editing for me. Now I use plug in apps. "Grammar & Spell Checker — LanguageTool" browser plug in works well, and is good at highlighting missing commas, and more.
Also dyslexic (goddamn that is a fucking hard word to get right, thank you autocorrect), which is why I choose to be a programmer by trade and a writer in my free time! Because chemistry would have been downright dangerous.

So I do heavily rely on autocorrect to spot stuff for me (nervous anytime someone requires me to write something by hand). Unfortunately there are two issues with using a language assist tool here. First, I tend to write directly into my IDE, and while it has basic spellcheck, it can't have much more than that, because it's a code editor. Second, now that I've done all sorts of tomfuckery with the names, I don't think it would have any idea of what the hell to do with something like "[sum_sub.little][sum_sub.morty_brother]" and just flip the hell out.

I do (and have) exported all the dialog and brought it into things like google docs to search for problems, and, it finds some. Mostly I use it for dialog review, where I convert text to speech and listen for errors, and that does help find some issues.

Really the biggest challenge though is that this game is just absolutely HUGE! I've been in dialog QC mode for the past couple days, checking (and correcting) any issues with the name replace. And, I'm not even half way done! Even using the skip button to find the changes quicker! The damn thing is just massive.

So, long answer short (too late), I just keep fixing stuff as either I find them, or other people point them out. I doubt it will ever be perfect, but, eh, what do people want for free?

I was hoping for more original Summer, perhaps with wild Summer looking on (as Dr. Wong advised), then joining in. Oh well, maybe next patch.
I mean, there will be some content with Summer/Summer/Morticia that you helped write so... at least there is that? Even if it's not a a new Ferdafs scene. But also, I agree, I really want some Summer/Summer/Morty action sooner rather than later.

I think it is safe to say that almost no one knows the, correct, use of the comma.
The correct use of the comma varies by who you ask and how much of a prescriptivist or descriptivist someone is. I fall much more into the category of descriptivist. As long as people understand the intent of my language and aren't struggling too much to grasp the idea I'm trying to convey, then I've done it right. So, I'll just keep putting commas wherever they feel good. Now, the semicolon; no idea where the hell that should go.

wibbled

Dec 11, 2020
One of my favourite language jokes to make online, is apologising for my "dylsexic fringes", which is a good excuse for bad typing, and yea whoever came up with the word dyslexic, to describe a reading difficulty, was taking the piss.

New Morticia content is nice, but I feel we've had enough Tricia and Jessica recently, when Summer should be due more instead, but I'll take what we get.

The correct place for a semicolon, is in front of a closed bracket. ;)

Last edited:

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
One of my favourite language jokes to make online, is apologising for my "dylsexic fringes", which is a good excuse for bad typing, and yea whoever came up with the word dyslexic, to describe a reading difficulty, was taking the piss.

New Morticia content is nice, but I feel we've had enough Tricia and Jessica recently, when Summer should be due more instead, but I'll take what we get.

The correct place for a semicolon, is in front of a closed bracket. ;)
Yeah, we really haven't had any original Summer for a LONG time now. Her last actually scene was WAY the hell back in update 2.8 (six updates ago, so, more than a year?! That's before I started working on the remake...), and it is the "Evil Morty" scene where he forces Summer and Morticia to make out. Since then, we've only had Wild Summer to keep us company and while she isn't bad, she is no replacement for Summer Classic.

Also, LIES! The semicolon has no place! :p

Reactions: wibbled

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
WatsonTouya
Alright! I got it to work! The original reason I was looking for animations in layeredimages was to get Rick's burp animation in there (it's even still in the character_images file, just never used).

What was the step I was missing? Fucking double quotes!
blinks.png
But the error I was getting just kept telling me the other image was undefined, so I went down that rabbit hole of trying to solve that, but nothing helped, until I just got frustrated with it and said fuck it, and gave up.

Anyhow, currently implementing blinks for every character because it sure as heck beats more text editing... Thanks again for the suggestion to get me to work on it again.

Reactions: WatsonTouya

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
WatsonTouya
NO! Every character must blink exactly on 5 second intervals!!!!!!! Players will never be able to leave the uncanny valley! HAHAHAH...

Fine, I guess I can change it...

Edit:
And changed for all characters with a blink. It does have the drawback that, when an expression changes, the timer is rest on the animation, so there will be cases where characters will just never blink. Still it looks pretty good. Think I might need to flesh out the half blink animation a bit more, which means making a ton of extra eyelids... so maybe... at least for main characters.

Last edited:

wibbled

Dec 11, 2020
Pretty sure that is not true...just because no one really knows what I do... :p

Tell someone you work in automation, they think you build robots.

Tell them you work in instrumentation, they think you build guitars...

It can get abstract real fast.
My main job at the moment, is self-improvement ... so does that mean I'm a manufacturer, or just an absurdist, as Rick is, but would never admit.

I'll take your abstraction and dig it way down. (Also, semicolons can go before the letter "P") ;P

... and here's a "self-portrait" I did recently.

sad rick.jpg

kenta16807

Oct 1, 2020
My main job at the moment, is self-improvement ... so does that mean I'm a manufacturer...
I would say that's more like you're in maintenance mode...

...took me nearly an entire turn of the planet to get that self-improvement reference...

It's been quite a while since I were in for maintenance ;)

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
So I'm doing patch testing today (to make sure the patch file works ahead of adding more content into it). I've touched a LOT of the code (saves might uh... they might have some loading issues... sorry :cry:) and I want to make sure I've included all the new images. I keep all the images I've modified/added in a big list to ensure I don't miss any when making the patch, and check them off as they get compressed/added to the patch. But, uh... I think I might have missing some of them?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This is of course related to the new arm poses I've put in (which I think really improves some aspects of the game). I fixed the issue by putting the missing file into the patch, so, don't worry, Summer will be okay!

Anyhow, it made me laugh, so I thought I would share a bit of what I'm up to. Hyped for new content! We are so close I can almost taste it! But not actually taste it... I'm not sure I would want to know what Rick and Morty tastes like? Pineapple?

4.90 star(s) 96 Votes