Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Why, it's not like anybody pays you :D

..but yeah, project management and all that, wish I had a smidgen of your character...

I do hope that got translated right
View attachment 1501964
True. One of the plus sides of doing this project for fun (and for free) is that I'm not forced to do anything I don't want to do. I think most people would be fine with just the new content from Ferdafs, and nothing more. Still, I promised I would do "The Summers Sleepover" scene (plus, I really like the concept of it), so I'm working my hardest to get it done. And, it can't easily be pushed back another update without being a hassle for players.

The issues with this scene are less a project management issue (I wrote and coded the scene more than a month ago) and more a, can I make the art not suck? I'm not thrilled with the quality of my art in general (I'm not an artist, and every time I work on art I'm reminded how shit I am at drawing anything original). Heck, I replaced pretty much all of the crappy hug images I made with much better ones by WatsonTouya for this next update. And so far the images I've made for this scene are... okay. I don't hate them, and I think they're passible, but I really am questioning if they are worth the effort.

Anyhow, for the next, next update, I'm really going to try and stick to not doing new scenes, no matter how bad I want to do them. Unless I find a full time artist.

Reactions: tokkeyyy

AXE2501

Dec 6, 2019
Well Mirrors you got to admit this much, when fans and fellow nerdlings come together they can make some pretty interesting things from Watson's amazing art, to playbois very impressive take on the hot tub scene, to the mind blowing work Kenta did on some of his animations.

Reactions: Night Mirror

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Well Mirrors you got to admit this much, when fans and fellow nerdlings come together they can make some pretty interesting things from Watson's amazing art, to playbois very impressive take on the hot tub scene, to the mind blowing work Kenta did on some of his animations.
Agreed, this game has been significantly improved by lots of community members. Some who have given images, others who have given words, and many (including yourself) who have motivated me to keep at it and make it the best it can be.

thevoid089

Forum Fanatic
Jan 29, 2020
Agreed, this game has been significantly improved by lots of community members. Some who have given images, others who have given words, and many (including yourself) who have motivated me to keep at it and make it the best it can be.
Make me really wish to have 10% of your motivation and determination, you are doing it for free without any demand for any coin and yet you work much more enthusiastic and joyful than 95% of the game developers that got paid thousands of USD per month. Keep up with your great work, don't know anyone else but I'm truly grateful to have people like you around

WatsonTouya

Dec 17, 2019
Night Mirror I'm having trouble adding new images to the game. Whenever I try to edit the "images_scenes.rpy" file and startup the game, loading freezes halfway through. I replaced the file with the original and the game launched fine. Then I opened the "images_scenes.rpy" file again with Ren'Py's script editor, saved it without making changes, and the game won't load. Am I supposed to use a different tool or something? In the Ren'Py menu I have options to edit script.rpy, option.rpy, gui.rpy, and screens.rpy. Should I uses a different editor for this file? Sorry I'm so lost.
XD

Jserickcq

Aug 27, 2021
I want to ask a question, the difference between: another way home, and the way home, is that one is interactive or do they have a different story because I only played one, does someone explain me?

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Night Mirror I'm having trouble adding new images to the game. Whenever I try to edit the "images_scenes.rpy" file and startup the game, loading freezes halfway through. I replaced the file with the original and the game launched fine. Then I opened the "images_scenes.rpy" file again with Ren'Py's script editor, saved it without making changes, and the game won't load. Am I supposed to use a different tool or something? In the Ren'Py menu I have options to edit script.rpy, option.rpy, gui.rpy, and screens.rpy. Should I uses a different editor for this file? Sorry I'm so lost.
XD
That's strange, .rpy files are just text files, it shouldn't really matter where/how you edit them. In theory you could work on them in notepad (not recommend). Loading may not be freezing, it might be compiling (making the rpyc files), which can take some time. If you're not getting an error, it might be this?

To test if it is just a compile issue, if you are using the SDK, start the game with original files, hot swap in your changes to images_scenes.rpy, press shift+R to reload the game. If it loads just fine, things should hopefully work after that? If it's not giving you an error it might just be this?

I want to ask a question, the difference between: another way home, and the way home, is that one is interactive or do they have a different story because I only played one, does someone explain me?
This has been asked and answered several times, including in the FAQ section under Dev Notes the OP. The very short version is: "Another Way Home" is in Renpy and is a liner game, while "A Way Back Home" is in Unity and is a sandbox-like game. While the story between the two games has many similar parts, they are NOT identical. I didn't rewrite the whole thing, but most scenes have some dialog alterations to either include more family toned wording, or make Morty more interested in having sex, or expand some characters that felt underdeveloped in the unity version. The Renpy version also has additional choices and scenes not in the original. And a huge number of other additions.

At this point in time, I do not intend to do a 1:1 port.

Reactions: WatsonTouya

WatsonTouya

Dec 17, 2019
Loading may not be freezing, it might be compiling (making the rpyc files), which can take some time.
Yup. I timed it, and it took almost exactly one minute. Thanks! Now I know that I'll need to wait at least a minute twiddling my thumbs every time I wanna edit this file and make sure it's working.
(.______.)
See mom? This is why I need a new $6000 computer.
But anyway four wheel thanks, I'm gonna try to fucking make as little trips to this file as I possibly can.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Yup. I timed it, and it took almost exactly one minute. Thanks! Now I know that I'll need to wait at least a minute twiddling my thumbs every time I wanna edit this file and make sure it's working.
(.______.)
See mom? This is why I need a new $6000 computer.
But anyway four wheel thanks, I'm gonna try to fucking make as little trips to this file as I possibly can.
Yay! Easy solutions are the best! XD

Adding images is one of the most tedious parts of authoring. I try to put in all my images (and do all my poses) in one go, then start up the application and check that it's right (as opposed to reloading with every change). Reloading is very slow for me (even with a fast computer), that might just be the size of the project?

You could try making a "scene" project, that just holds one scene at a time and do your work there, then bring it over once finalized? I did that for a while and it made reloads WAY faster.

villany

Dec 8, 2018
Still, I promised I would do "The Summers Sleepover" scene (plus, I really like the concept of it), so I'm working my hardest to get it done. And, it can't easily be pushed back another update without being a hassle for players.
Really love that Summer is apparently the favourite girl for Morty among the fans. Really curious if they enter a geniune relationship, as boyfriend and girlfriend i mean.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Alright, I just finished "The Summers Sleepover" (name not final) scene. Technically I still need to QC it and fix any mistakes in art or dialog I spot (then worry over the subpar art (and probably in a panic delete the whole thing because it's crap (then freak out some more about my inability to put together any artwork that doesn't make me want to gouge my own eyes out (...Sorry, tangent, what the hell was I talking about again?! (Right, the new scene))))).

It ended up with a LOT more images than I originally though I was going to make for it. Most edits I make are 2 or maybe 3 "new" images. The Meesex scenes is one of the largest extra art scenes I've attempted at 104 images, 11 poses/angles plus 1 animation, but this one seems like it's a very close second. It certainly felt more daunting or at least it was more stressful (due to a lack of existing poses). I'm still not 100% happy with it, but I'm not sure how much I can improve it.

At the moment, the scene is 117 images (no, not all completely unique and different), with 11ish poses/angles, no animations, and comes in with around 450 lines of dialog, so, about the size of a normal scene.

Anyhow, since I finished it, I decided I'd share a small preview. Here are both the first (well second) and final image in the scene (not including character standing models which also account for around half the scene).
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

In addition to whatever Ferdafs has for us, the Renpy version will also be getting at least 6 additional extra scenes (since I manage to finish this one)! Now, I just have to wait for the update.

Last edited:

villany

Dec 8, 2018
Alright, I just finished "The Summers Sleepover" (name not final) scene. Technically I still need to QC it and fix any mistakes in art or dialog I spot (then worry over the subpar art (and probably in a panic delete the whole thing because it's crap (then freak out some more about my inability to put together any artwork that doesn't make me want to gouge my own eyes out (...Sorry, tangent, what the hell was I talking about again?! (Right, the new scene))))).

It ended up with a LOT more images than I originally though I was going to make for it. Most edits I make are 2 or maybe 3 "new" images. The Meesex scenes is one of the largest extra art scenes I've attempted at 104 images, 11 poses/angles plus 1 animation, but this one seems like it's a very close second. It certainly felt more daunting or at least it was more stressful (due to a lack of existing poses). I'm still not 100% happy with it, but I'm not sure how much I can improve it.

At the moment, the scene is 117 images (no, not all completely unique and different), with 11ish poses/angles, no animations, and comes in with around 450 lines of dialog, so, about the size of a normal scene.

Anyhow, since I finished it, I decided I'd share a small preview. Here are both the first (well second) and final image in the scene (not including character standing models which also account for around half the scene).
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

In addition to whatever Ferdafs has for us, the Renpy version will also be getting at least 6 additional extra scenes (since I manage to finish this one)! Now, I just have to wait for the update.
I thought "The Summers Sleepover" would be Morty having a threesome with Summers. It seems here Morticia will be the one having fun.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I thought "The Summers Sleepover" would be Morty having a threesome with Summers. It seems here Morticia will be the one having fun.
Yeah, sadly Morty and the Summers is going to have to wait until there is more of Wild Summer's story. This scene as partially written and inspired by wibbled and spoiled in this post is more of what Morticia is up to while her room is otherwise in use.

While this is stumbling dangerously into future story, it's also unlikely Ferdafs would do a scene like this. Although not impossible, as we are supposedly getting more Morticia story. Actually, it would be awesome if Ferdafs did include this scene, then I could throw away all my terrible art!

Really love that Summer is apparently the favourite girl for Morty among the fans. Really curious if they enter a geniune relationship, as boyfriend and girlfriend i mean.
As to Morty and Summer becoming boyfriend/girlfriend, I don't have any plans for it. Like most things, until Ferdafs gives us more on that storyline, I'm hesitant to expand it.

"Sisters' Sandwich"
"Morticia In The Middle"
"The Spies Who Loved Me"
Oh, I like those much better! Summer already has a "Sleepover" scene, so I really don't want to reuse the name if I can avoid it.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
But you want to?
There are a lot of things I want to do :D (but can't mostly due to a lack of art and/or future story conflicts). So, yes, Morty and Summer in an "official" relationship is something I would like to offer up as an option to players at some point. But don't hold your breath, that might be years from now :confused:

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Alright! I have made it through another major feature I wasn't sure I'd be able to get done for this patch, but I put my nose to the grindstone and powered through the last of it today (only took like a week to get it done... and I still have to spend maybe another week QCing it... sigh)

Let's see if you can spot the new feature added to this page:
do_over_new_settings.png

Don't want to hunt it down? Have no idea what I'm on about? Spotted it instantly and felt a cold chill/explosion of joy rush through your veins? It is the new third option from the top for Beth and Summer (and Morticia, sort of, it replaces her "twins" option, but works identically).

One of the many requested things (or, well, things to be removed in this case) has been the option to tone down some of the incest talk. This has come up a few times, and I pretty much agree with the vast majority of complaints about it. I might have overdone the bro/sis/mommy talk a bit too much (way too much pineapple on the pizza for some).

The best way to handle this would be to take a long hard (that's what she said) review of the dialog and polish it, trimming lines, tightening up sentences, that sort of thing... So obviously... I didn't to that. But this isn't a sloppy landlady patch either, I pretty much went line-by-line to ensure alternate names make sense and still fit the tone of the game.

First, it is important to note that if you love the way the game is now, do not fret, all that incestie goodness is still there, almost entirely unchanged, with no extra files needed (other than the next patch obviously)! And it will still continue to be there moving forward. My goal as always is to give people options, not to remove or censor things.

So this addition is for those of you that cringe every time Summer calls Morty "bro". There are now options that can be set to tone down that kind of talk. Now, dialog for and about Summer and Beth, will use the system I built for Morticia. Meaning that with this flag set to "low", you'll see things like "Morty" or "Summer" or "Beth" in most cases, instead of "bro" or "big sis" or "Mommy".

There is no "off" as Beth and Summer are still family, and it's part of the story. Thus, Morty will still sometimes call Beth "Mom" when talking to her (although much less than before), and Summer will still think of/call Morty brother on occasion (again, much less than before). But with the "low" setting, family names will appear much less frequently, either replaced by a standard name, or simply removed, and almost not at all in sexual situations. Additionally, this can be set for each of the three characters separately, so if only Summer calling Morty "Bro" bother's you but you like the "Mommy" stuff, you can turn Beth to "High" and Summer to "Low" (and leave Morticia on Extreme!).

The flag setting occurs as a choice in the first day of the game as you encounter Summer and Beth for the first time, again, similar to how it works for Morticia. I may add a second option to change it later on (again, similar to how it works for Morticia where you can turn twins on or off on days 2 and 13). OR, as seen above, can be toggled from the Do Over menu in a loaded save. Or, or, you can use Day Selector to jump back to day 1, relive it, and select your choices there, then jump forward again! The possibilities are nearly endless (3, there are 3 possibilities, two of which are the same thing)!

Old saves will start with Summer and Beth defaulted off (sorry, no clean way to set it on), so you'll have to set it to "High" after loading an old save (and you can resave to keep it that way) if you want all those family names to keep appearing.

Last edited:

Kananartans

Dec 19, 2019
I need more Jessica! And my roommate says he need more Tricia! (He can't log in his account for some reason. I will share your comments until he logs back into his account. Btw, he is Kane_Freeman.)

4.90 star(s) 96 Votes