gojira667

Sep 9, 2019
I have an issue with certain animations. Lagging and chugging lowering the enjoyment.
Some say devs upgrading to Renpy 8 from Renpy 7 caused these issues stemming from incompability with older rigs. Some say it is caused by WEBM video file format etc. I think there is no video file in this game? All animations compiled by Renpy?
All animations in Ripples are vp9 encoded WEBM videos (mostly 60 FPS). They are in images.rpa. You need to extract them with unrpa, UnRen, etc. Then you can transcode them to vp8 WEBMs.

There is a bug with vp9 WEBMs in 8.x & 7.5.x that presents on some setups. It's been noticeably improved/mostly fixed(?) in the latest nighties.

When I bring up the task manager at rest while running this game on static render it sits at 10% CPU usage at fluctuating speed of 3-3.50 GHz (my CPU is AMD FX 6300).
When a simple kissing animation with Scarlett fires up CPU runs at 65-70% with a decreased speed of 2.5-2.6 GHz, RAM and GPU are nearly unaffected.
I take it this is Windows. It's actually decreasing your clock speed? Hmm, your CPU appears to support AVX instructions. Check in your BIOS for AVX related settings. Apparently some will deliberately lower your clock rate when AVX is in use. See if changing that will help any. :unsure: I suppose it could be thermal throttling...

I don't know which animation is Scarlett kissing, but the single heaviest animation in the game is probably the start of Episode 3 - images/Videos/anim_e3a1.webm, once it pans inside the window. That's the one I would use as your benchmark.

You can check my post here for some workarounds. Those are the example ffmpeg lines I used. You could also use something like Handbrake. Since you seem to have spare CPU you can likely keep them 60 FPS and use a noticeably higher bitrate. Alternatively, you can download the 30fps_low-br.zip archive in the post.

You could also try the custom lib (NEW) in the post, but your issue seems a bit different. It offered me a large performance increase such that the original 60 FPS anim_e3a1.webm has like 2 slight stutters that I have to look for to notice. No transcoding needed.

Reactions: longsuper1

Bill Temple

May 20, 2021
Holy fuck, what the hell yall talking about in this thread???
i-is it still about the game...? :oops:
Nah, this isn't the Ripples thread anymore. We've convened here a team of top social scientists, psychologists, and other thought leaders to cure humanity of all its ills. We started with sexy computer games. Next week it's climate change, and the week after it's income disparity in the developing world. You're scheduled to take the lead on climate change.

deepsauce47

Jan 3, 2023
Will there be any braphog content added to this game? I have a SSBBW+ fart fetish and usually cannot get off unless I'm watching a 400-500 lb. woman busting out farts.

EDIT: This post is a joke in response to the kink begging posters.

Last edited:

Aizen Myo

Mar 23, 2022
Nah, this isn't the Ripples thread anymore. We've convened here a team of top social scientists, psychologists, and other thought leaders to cure humanity of all its ills. We started with sexy computer games. Next week it's climate change, and the week after it's income disparity in the developing world. You're scheduled to take the lead on climate change.
Great, cause I have some valuable points about how the fear of Nuclear Energy is preventing mankind from evolving into a more free of carbon emission society, specially trough nuclear waste recycling, providing we are not too greedy to deal with the costs

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
Finally able to fit this one in. First observation: ANY DEV THAT PUTS AN ELECTRIC ALARM CLOCK SOUND IN A GAME SHOULD BE KEEL HAULED! (After, of course, finishing the game, if it's good, and this one is supposed to be a good one.)

But, beyond that, not a bad start. I take it "named saves" aren't a thing here - don't know how many branches this thing might take, but I always like to be prepared.

• Haha
Reactions: Sinxy and EJW

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Finally able to fit this one in. First observation: ANY DEV THAT PUTS AN ELECTRIC ALARM CLOCK SOUND IN A GAME SHOULD BE KEEL HAULED! (After, of course, finishing the game, if it's good, and this one is supposed to be a good one.)

But, beyond that, not a bad start. I take it "named saves" aren't a thing here - don't know how many branches this thing might take, but I always like to be prepared.
One game messed me up because I was playing on a laptop in the kitchen, and suddenly, I heard a "microwave beep."

• Haha
Reactions: Elhemeer

CheesusRice

Oct 24, 2021
I take it "named saves" aren't a thing here - don't know how many branches this thing might take, but I always like to be prepared.
From what I've seen the Dev say, this game won't be a true harem, so getting all the women at once won't happen. I can't remember exactly but I THINK he said there'll are 7-9 'main girls' with a number of side/one off girls. Not saying there'll be 7-9 branches, some/most of the MGs will have polygamous options but some won't want to 'be with' certain characters so they'll be locked out of certain relationships.

BartPS

Oct 21, 2020
"Whatever you enjoy is fine if it's not hurting anyone" is one of the biggest myths that are widely accepted now.

Is it okay for a pedophile to record your preteen daughter naked in the bathroom at her middle school, jerk off 6 times a day moaning her name and make drawings of her getting raped and tortured in ways that would make most hentai artists vomit? It's "not hurting anyone" if nobody knows about it.

I'm not saying he should be arrested or punished for what he does in private, that would be insane. However, what he is doing is NOT good or okay, even though he is "not hurting anyone". "Well I'd rather him do that than rape her for real" is disingenuous. How about, "I'd rather him get help rather than keep relying on these antisocial outlets."
I must admit, when I first saw your post quoted, it raised my hackles, so I went back to read your original. In fact, your example illustrates your point well, and the whole is well reasoned.

The problem is that the type of situation you describe is rare compared with the number of times people condemn others for behaviour that they deem immoral due to religious prejudice, cultural intolerance or generational bias.

The truth is almost always more complex than is apparent. Another example, somewhat in support of your point, is incest. Some claim that incest is fine for same-sex couples, or if the couple ensures that no pregnancy can take place, since the only logical reason for prohibition of incest is to avoid genetic disorders. However, this claim ignores the typical power dynamics that occur between siblings or parents and children, especially if the older of the pair is male.

My point is that we should avoid simplistic analyses of all kinds. "Whatever you enjoy is fine if it's not hurting anyone" is an overreaction to the kind of bigotry that leads many, whose sexuality does not fit socio-religious norms, to live (and too often die) in fear. Equally, it is simplistic to dismiss the sentiment behind that phrase entirely, merely because some exploit it to justify behaviour that is, in fact, demonstrably harmful, once we dig a little deeper.

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020

When it gets "too much" noise wise, I usually find an empty sound file, and replace the noise ones with an empty file (to avoid errors). Not the greatest or cleanest way to do it, but in some cases, it is needed :)

Like all looping slurping noises or moaning during sex, it's a total turn off.

PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
When it gets "too much" noise wise, I usually find an empty sound file, and replace the noise ones with an empty file (to avoid errors). Not the greatest or cleanest way to do it, but in some cases, it is needed :)

Like all looping slurping noises or moaning during sex, it's a total turn off.
I'd rather have music, ambient sounds and sexy sounds in the VN. If it bothers me (and some of the music does after a time), I just turn the volume down. Many VNs also give you the option to adjust music and ambient/games sounds independently from each other which is helpful.

Ripples is one of the VNs where I rarely turn the audio down - it actually helps me with immersion.

Reactions: Cruiser80

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
I'd rather have music, ambient sounds and sexy sounds in the VN. If it bothers me (and some of the music does after a time), I just turn the volume down. Many VNs also give you the option to adjust music and ambient/games sounds independently from each other which is helpful.

Ripples is one of the VNs where I rarely turn the audio down - it actually helps me with immersion.
I meant usually the "noises" are separate unique files, so you can keep the music, and just "mute" the annoying sounds that way.

Pitrik

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Oct 11, 2018

Hey guys!

I just wanted to make a quick post letting everyone know that the surgery went fine, and I started working on the update again this past week. I'm starting easy and still have days I don't feel good, but I'm slowly feeling better and better.

I've been finishing the animations on the scene I'm working on, and I have one more scene and a short ending. I'm already at 121 animations and over 1276 images. This is a big update, and I couldn't fit everything I wanted to, but those scenes I couldn't fit will go into the next update. This update is already big enough, and you guys have been waiting. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer.

I want to thank everyone for the kind words here and in discord. I appreciate it a lot!

-Jestur

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
From what I've seen the Dev say, this game won't be a true harem, so getting all the women at once won't happen. I can't remember exactly but I THINK he said there'll are 7-9 'main girls' with a number of side/one off girls. Not saying there'll be 7-9 branches, some/most of the MGs will have polygamous options but some won't want to 'be with' certain characters so they'll be locked out of certain relationships.
With luck, the branch points will be intuitive. My solution to no named saves is keeping a text doc with a brief description of each slot.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
With luck, the branch points will be intuitive. My solution to no named saves is keeping a text doc with a brief description of each slot.
Mine is to highlight the choice in the save, make sure both (or all) choices are highlighted in different saves, with the one I'm choosing this time on top, and one(s) not choosing now below, then I leave the rest of the bottom slots open and just continue in the top row until the next page. If I decide to come back and play the other path, I just scroll back quickly to the pages with empty slots. (I've never needed to use this method on a choice with more than three options, so I guess it could fail me in the future ...)

I'll back up a few images to fill up a page with saves if there's not enough room, so the choice happens on a new page.

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
The truth is almost always more complex than is apparent. Another example, somewhat in support of your point, is incest. Some claim that incest is fine for same-sex couples, or if the couple ensures that no pregnancy can take place, since the only logical reason for prohibition of incest is to avoid genetic disorders.
In fact, some states in the US allow incest if they are an infertile couple.
However, this claim ignores the typical power dynamics that occur between siblings or parents and children, especially if the older of the pair is male.
That is a big aspect of "traditional" incest, the power dynamic. Hard not to have it given the traditional family dynamics in the west. A lot of non-consent or coerced consent (which is also non-consent).

4.80 star(s) 294 Votes