desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Unless you give a damn about time travel, you can safely ignore my ramblings.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You are falling into the trap of applying concepts that arise from "morphic reality theory" or dynamic timelines into fixed timelines. The paradoxes you listed are precisely the result of a dynamic timeline. There are 3 types of time travel that are typically explored in fiction.

1. Fixed timelines. Everything that happened, happened, and will continue to happen. The grandfather paradox or the bomb paradox that you talked about simply cannot happen in this type of time travel. It might be hard to come to terms with this concept if you get into the mentality that you can "beat" fate or something by doing this or that. Everything you try to do to change the past already happened before you even try it, you were just not aware of it at the time. You go back and kill Hitler and replace him with a different baby. Turns out, this new baby actually became the Hitler we know today. You or anyone else can keep trying in any conceivable way, but time is not malleable to change and everything that you tried actually already happened and will continue to happen. The paradox often presented in fixed timelines is the causal loop. In the Hitler example, we only went back in time to kill Hitler because he is evil. But by going to the past and replacing the baby, we created the evil Hitler. Which came first? Cannot be answered. Time just is. Yes, free will is an illusion in this setting.
(Ex. Primer, Predestination, Time Crimes, 12 Monkeys)

2. Multiple timelines. There are infinite universes of all possibilities. Any decision you (or anything else) make creates a branching pathway in an infinitely sprawling tree. There are essentially no paradoxes here because every alternate timeline/universe that we look into are essentially independent of each other. We go back and kill Hitler. Nothing happens in your original timeline, other than you not existing there anymore. The timeline where you kill Hitler will not have him there anymore. Doing stuff in the past will not affect you or your original timeline in any way.
(Ex. Marvel universe)

3. Dynamic timelines. Changes in the past will be reflected in the present/future. This is the most often explored type of time travel in fiction. While the fixed timelines cause the most mind fuck and "whoa" moments, dynamic timelines generally creates the bigger stakes and is great for entertainment. However, it runs into so many paradoxes and plot holes, especially if handled poorly. Your time bomb example and grandfather paradoxes fit into this type of time travel. Changing the past will often negate the purpose/cause of time travel and that is very often just handwaived away. They set certain rules regarding time travel that is inevitably broken for the convenience of the narrative. I think the problems usually arise when they try to incorporate certain concepts from fixed timelines when the timeline clearly isn't fixed.
(Ex. Back to the Future, Looper, Butterfly Effect, X-men: Days of Future past, and many many others)

Reactions: User1230 and Jestur

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
You are falling into the trap of applying concepts that arise from "morphic reality theory" or dynamic timelines into fixed timelines. The paradoxes you listed are precisely the result of a dynamic timeline. There are 3 types of time travel that are typically explored in fiction.

1. Fixed timelines. Everything that happened, happened, and will continue to happen. The grandfather paradox or the bomb paradox that you talked about simply cannot happen in this type of time travel. It might be hard to come to terms with this concept if you get into the mentality that you can "beat" fate or something by doing this or that. Everything you try to do to change the past already happened before you even try it, you were just not aware of it at the time. You go back and kill Hitler and replace him with a different baby. Turns out, this new baby actually became the Hitler we know today. You or anyone else can keep trying in any conceivable way, but time is not malleable to change and everything that you tried actually already happened and will continue to happen. The paradox often presented in fixed timelines is the causal loop. In the Hitler example, we only went back in time to kill Hitler because he is evil. But by going to the past and replacing the baby, we created the evil Hitler. Which came first? Cannot be answered. Time just is. Yes, free will is an illusion in this setting.
(Ex. Primer, Predestination, Time Crimes, 12 Monkeys)

2. Multiple timelines. There are infinite universes of all possibilities. Any decision you (or anything else) make creates a branching pathway in an infinitely sprawling tree. There are essentially no paradoxes here because every alternate timeline/universe that we look into are essentially independent of each other. We go back and kill Hitler. Nothing happens in your original timeline, other than you not existing there anymore. The timeline where you kill Hitler will not have him there anymore. Doing stuff in the past will not affect you or your original timeline in any way.
(Ex. Marvel universe)

3. Dynamic timelines. Changes in the past will be reflected in the present/future. This is the most often explored type of time travel in fiction. While the fixed timelines cause the most mind fuck and "whoa" moments, dynamic timelines generally creates the bigger stakes and is great for entertainment. However, it runs into so many paradoxes and plot holes, especially if handled poorly. Your time bomb example and grandfather paradoxes fit into this type of time travel. Changing the past will often negate the purpose/cause of time travel and that is very often just handwaived away. They set certain rules regarding time travel that is inevitably broken for the convenience of the narrative. I think the problems usually arise when they try to incorporate certain concepts from fixed timelines when the timeline clearly isn't fixed.
(Ex. Back to the Future, Looper, Butterfly Effect, X-men: Days of Future past, and many many others)
Okay so I don't really understand any of the time travel theory so I thought I would ask some questions:

If you choose to give the necklace back to the redhead it causes Krystal's name to be changed in the future or present timeline to Kari (IIRC). However, Jenny still ends up being dead even though the MC attempted to change that. So how could small things change (names) but large things (Jenny not dying) not change?

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Okay so I don't really understand any of the time travel theory so I thought I would ask some questions:

If you choose to give the necklace back to the redhead it causes Krystal's name to be changed in the future or present timeline to Kari (IIRC). However, Jenny still ends up being dead even though the MC attempted to change that. So how could small things change (names) but large things (Jenny not dying) not change?
Ah, is that right? In that case, dev might have fallen into the trap of mixing concepts from fixed timeline with dynamic timeline. It's too early to tell though, seeing as calling this a fixed timeline is still a conjecture (although there were many many clues pointing that way).

Reactions: MrFriendly
Nov 18, 2018
What about alternate timelines being created?
That's really the only way. The only issue is whether or not you can choose which path to take when you travel forward.

Fixed timelines as a time travel environment simply can't exist unless you're willing to accept "and then a miracle happened" to prevent paradoxes. Given anyone with a will, paradoxes can not be avoided without active outside interference. The bomb example is the best way of putting this. Once initially set, there are no people involved. So either outside interference must always come about every single time the experiment is run, or there will be paradoxes.

Dynamic time, which allows the future to be changed by changing the past, is just the same as the fixed timeline, only without any pretense of a outside power policing things. Paradoxes are a dime a dozen.

So, as a story environment, parallel dimensions is the best way to go to avoid a whole lot of extraneous problems or handwaving needed.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

That fact that I can write this and, in fact, hit Post after writing it, indicates I need to put less Peppermint Schnapps in my hot chocolate or, more likely I should put more.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Ah, is that right? In that case, dev might have fallen into the trap of mixing concepts from fixed timeline with dynamic timeline. It's too early to tell though, seeing as calling this a fixed timeline is still a conjecture (although there were many many clues pointing that way).
Yeah, I saw that redhead and decided I wanted to make her happy so I rolled back and gave her the necklace. Which caused Krystal's name to change in the future. I thought it was a mistake since, in my opinion, the MC called Khloe "Krystal" so much that it could have caused her to still name her daughter "Krystal". Changing it to Kari means that the MC can alter parts of the timeline but not all of it. Which makes me wonder why? If the MC had to go back to cause Jenny to die or "die" in the power plant then wouldn't the name of Khloe's child have been undetermined until the MC showed up and called Khloe "Krystal" and caused her to want to name her daughter "Krystal"?

Or something like that?

Reactions: desmosome

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah, I saw that redhead and decided I wanted to make her happy so I rolled back and gave her the necklace. Which caused Krystal's name to change in the future. I thought it was a mistake since, in my opinion, the MC called Khloe "Krystal" so much that it could have caused her to still name her daughter "Krystal". Changing it to Kari means that the MC can alter parts of the timeline but not all of it. Which makes me wonder why? If the MC had to go back to cause Jenny to die or "die" in the power plant then wouldn't the name of Khloe's child have been undetermined until the MC showed up and called Khloe "Krystal" and caused her to want to name her daughter "Krystal"?

Or something like that?
It's a very common mistake in time travel writing. The 3 time travel types I mentioned above are mutually exclusive. You really cannot mix and match and hope to come up with a story with no plot holes. The time travel type you pick actually sets the limit on the type of story you can tell.

The very fact that MC's actions could change Krystal's name means that the timeline cannot be fixed. However, a lot of clues and potential concepts being explored like MC possibly being his own father and Krystal's name if we did give the necklace to Khloe are consistent with a fixed timeline rather than a dynamic one.

Let's think about the scenario where MC bangs Khloe or the redhead (who I assume is the mother of the twins). In a dynamic timeline, you just can't explore story elements such as Krystal and the twins being your daughters. Why? Because if they were fathered by someone else in the original timeline, and then you went back to the past to bang their moms to impregnate them, Krystal and the twins would no longer be the same person when you go back to the present. This kind of narrative only works under the fixed timelines where these girls were always your daughters, but you just didn't know it yet.

See where I am getting at? Mixing the concepts from different time travel types just cannot work.

Nov 18, 2018
That's very interesting. I gave the necklace to Kloe, so I didn't see the name change. So that proves that in this Universe, you can change things. That's going to make things interesting. I don't know how he arranged it, but I'm assuming the weird figure is the MC's father. So why did he need the MC to make sure Jenny would take the job? Which, of course brings up:

Do we even know if Jenny and MC's father really died in the accident?
The answer is: No, we actually don't. We just know what the MC has been told, which is what was in the official report. If they got zapped through time, it would look the same to anyone that wasn't in the know.

LostKing

Jul 20, 2020
Those renders look crazy good. Hadn't heard of this somehow. Love honey select games so cant wait to try this out.

Batman187

Bʅυҽ Iʂ Tԋҽ Cσʅσυɾ, FσσƚႦαʅʅ Iʂ Tԋҽ Gαɱҽ!
Donor
Jun 19, 2020
so is it better to keep or give the necklace?
Right now it doesn't matter all it does is change Krystal's name to Kari, don't know if it will have a bigger impact in a future update tho.

4.80 star(s) 296 Votes