Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
I need other things on my pizza with them, but anchovies are unfairly vilified, especially when they're much better than fruit.
My mom is where I get my Italian, and where I learned to also love anchovies - she and dad would get a cheese pizza when they were younger and put anchovies on half (dad didn't care for them). I like to use them in cooking in general (they provide that umami hit, and you just need to use a little less salt), but like to have them on a pizza as well now and again. And if you bring me a Caesar salad and don't have the anchovies, I'm sending it back. ;)

Simple "sauce" for "plain spaghetti": mince about 6 anchovies (the small ones from the jar) and a few cloves of garlic (really depends on your taste); heat about 2 tablespoon of good olive oil in a saute' pan; add the minced anchovies and garlic to the heated oil and stir (don't allow to burn). Once the garlic and anchovies are well heated and aromatic, add about another 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil (I do everything by eye, so don't really measure) and allow everything to come up to temp, stirring, but not allowing to get to the smoke point. Add pre-cooked spaghetti to the "sauce" and allow it to coat. Move spaghetti to a bowl, top with some fresh chopped basil and a little Parmigiano Reggiano and a good twist or three of fresh ground black pepper. Great as a side with almost anything, or as a carbo-loading snack.

bobdickgus

Apr 9, 2020
I need other things on my pizza with them, but anchovies are unfairly vilified, especially when they're much better than fruit.
Tomatoes are a fruit that goes fairly well on pizza.
Tomatoes have sweetness and acidity like a pineapple does just less pronounced, the big difference is tomato has a lot of umami flavour which obviously works very well in savoury dishes.
Anchovies are an umami bomb, a little goes a long way.

Reactions: Walter Victor

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
As someone who lives in the US, none of the people I've interacted with who are on the "No Pineapple on Pizza" train are (that I know of) of Italian decent ...I'm sure there are plenty, but it's definitely not the deciding factor.
I suspected that the "No Pineapple on Pizza," originated on one of the Chans, but apparently it was a Facebook page. I think a lot of this "debate" are people wanting to sound cool. More people are against anchovies than pineapple. The only problem is they can't argue that anchovies aren't traditional. Pineapple on pizza started in 1962. I don't think it is going away any time soon, no matter how many people tilt at that windmill.

Reactions: Walter Victor

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
I suspected that the "No Pineapple on Pizza," originated on one of the Chans, but apparently it was a Facebook page. I think a lot of this "debate" are people wanting to sound cool. More people are against anchovies than pineapple. The only problem is they can't argue that anchovies aren't traditional. Pineapple on pizza started in 1962. I don't think it is going away any time soon, no matter how many people tilt at that windmill.
Yea, I thought it was YouTube, 'cause that's where I first saw it ... sometime last year ... I'm not worried.

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
Yea, I thought it was YouTube, 'cause that's where I first saw it ... sometime last year ... I'm not worried.
It got bigger (or better known) with social media, but it's been around as long as I've been eating pizza. I'm in my 50s. (Gen-X for you fuckers that are having that bitchy little bitch thought and considering using that term that a certain generation uses.)

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
Tomatoes are a fruit that goes fairly well on pizza.
Tomatoes have sweetness and acidity like a pineapple does just less pronounced, the big difference is tomato has a lot of umami flavour which obviously works very well in savoury dishes.
Anchovies are an umami bomb, a little goes a long way.
The big difference is the exceedingly high level of citric acid in pineapple, whereas the tomato, which has a small amount of citric acid, gets it acidity primarily from other types of acids, which play better with some food pairings than citric acid does (cheese, for example). The acidic components in tomatoes also tend to play better with people that have acid sensitivities - too much citric acid too often causes me to form ulcers in my mouth; tomato doesn't have this effect on me. While there is some element of "tradition" for me, it's also the food science aspect as well and a "what pairs best with what" kind of thing. Pineapple pairs a little better with mozzarella or provel (used by some pizza places) than it does something like sharp cheddar, but still isn't close to the natural fit of most cheeses and tomato and other vegetation low in, or not having any noticeable amount of, citric acid.

If you want pineapple on your pizza, well, God bless ya', but I'm not likely to trust your palate for wine pairing suggestions. ;)

Mathesar

Mar 20, 2018
Pineapple does try to eat you back. The main thing, though, is finding the right toppings to go with it. You can't just slap some pineapple on a pizza and call it good. Try a pizza with pineapple, chicken, tomato, and jalapeno for the toppings. They all compliment each other well.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
It got bigger (or better known) with social media, but it's been around as long as I've been eating pizza. I'm in my 50s. (Gen-X for you fuckers that are having that bitchy little bitch thought and considering using that term that a certain generation uses.)
As someone who has loved Hawaiian pizza since the 70s, I have no doubt there have been other people like you who don't like pineapple on pizza forever, but to say there was a large group that think pineapple on pizza, or Hawaiian pizza in particular, should be band has been on the same level as the arguments between New Yorkers and people who grew up in Chicago about what qualifies as pizza all this time is a bit disingenuous.

Reactions: Ilhares

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Here's the text for that Patreon post:

Dev update #43

Hello Patrons!

I hope you're all having a good day/afternoon/evening... Wherever you are in the world. It's a lovely sunny afternoon in my neck of the woods.

About the progress of Episode 6. For the last couple of weeks, I've been working hard on all the writing, dialogue, and coding for the update. It's been a little boring because I barely opened up Neo. I usually write the dialogue and code for a couple of scenes, then do the renders and animations, then write a couple more scenes, do the art, and so on. This time I'm trying to knock out all the writing and coding at one time. Why the change? Well, for one, I would get a better idea of how big or small the update will be, what I can add or subtract from the update, and where is a good ending point. Another reason, I thought it might make development quicker. Instead of hopping around so much. Will it work? I don't know. I'll be able to gauge that better at the end of the update. There are a couple of other things I'm going to try to make development a little quicker(without jeopardizing quality) in this update, so we'll just have to wait to see if it works.

I also completed part of the writing and coding for the next update because I am thinking about adding it to the end of this update so there will be more plot and story. I feel that there's not enough of that in Episode 6. I think adding these 4 or 5 scenes to the end will make this an action-packed episode. And also, one of the mysteries you guys have been wondering about for a long time will be answered. But it will make development time longer. So it's either a shorter episode or a longer episode. I'm personally learning towards the longer episode myself. Either way, we'll have some hot scenes in the update, and you might finally get that long-awaited date with Skylar.

That's all I got for now. Now it's time to start working on the renders and get some scenes done finally. I'm sick of writing dialogue.

Have a good one!

Nov 29, 2022
Hi all my compressed unofficial Android port of Ripples 0.5a with Naxos Walkthrough and patch mod.
Usual gestures, save name/delete, seethru textbox, resizeable game and dialogue text.

Scrollable textbox - no more text off the bottom of your screen
Alternative persistent saves/log location
Grant storage permissions on first run!
Mega

Note: There will be a one time check for PowerVR GPU at startup. You will only get this once and if you do have PowerVR, a file (GL2_on.rpy) will be created in your Documents folder. Keeping this here means you won't get the same check on a different port.
Hey, just wanted to let you know that there's an issue with saving the game, both normally and quick saves. If there's something on my end I can do to fix this issue I'd appreciate the help
Error code below:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 170, in <module>
  File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 383, in __call__
TypeError: cannot pickle '_io.TextIOWrapper' object (perhaps store.f = <_io.TextIOWrapper name='/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/rip.ples/files/../../../../Documents/GL2_on.rpy' mode='w' encoding='UTF-8'>)

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "00gamemenu.rpyc", line 170, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1131, in execute
  File "renpy/python.py", line 1061, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "renpy/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 170, in <module>
  File "renpy/ui.py", line 299, in interact
  File "renpy/display\core.py", line 3377, in interact
  File "renpy/display\core.py", line 4258, in interact_core
  File "renpy/display\layout.py", line 1175, in event
  File "renpy/display\transition.py", line 53, in event
  File "renpy/display\screen.py", line 743, in event
  File "renpy/display\layout.py", line 1399, in event
  File "renpy/display\layout.py", line 279, in event
  File "renpy/display\layout.py", line 1399, in event
  File "renpy/display\behavior.py", line 1073, in event
  File "renpy/display\behavior.py", line 1008, in handle_click
  File "renpy/display\behavior.py", line 322, in run
  File "renpy/display\behavior.py", line 329, in run
  File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 383, in __call__
  File "renpy/loadsave.py", line 408, in save
  File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python3.9/site-packages/future/utils/__init__.py", line 441, in raise_
  File "renpy/loadsave.py", line 389, in save
  File "renpy/compat\pickle.py", line 103, in dump
TypeError: cannot pickle '_io.TextIOWrapper' object (perhaps store.f = <_io.TextIOWrapper name='/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/rip.ples/files/../../../../Documents/GL2_on.rpy' mode='w' encoding='UTF-8'>)

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Here's the text for that Patreon post:

Dev update #43

Hello Patrons!

I hope you're all having a good day/afternoon/evening... Wherever you are in the world. It's a lovely sunny afternoon in my neck of the woods.

About the progress of Episode 6. For the last couple of weeks, I've been working hard on all the writing, dialogue, and coding for the update. It's been a little boring because I barely opened up Neo. I usually write the dialogue and code for a couple of scenes, then do the renders and animations, then write a couple more scenes, do the art, and so on. This time I'm trying to knock out all the writing and coding at one time. Why the change? Well, for one, I would get a better idea of how big or small the update will be, what I can add or subtract from the update, and where is a good ending point. Another reason, I thought it might make development quicker. Instead of hopping around so much. Will it work? I don't know. I'll be able to gauge that better at the end of the update. There are a couple of other things I'm going to try to make development a little quicker(without jeopardizing quality) in this update, so we'll just have to wait to see if it works.

I also completed part of the writing and coding for the next update because I am thinking about adding it to the end of this update so there will be more plot and story. I feel that there's not enough of that in Episode 6. I think adding these 4 or 5 scenes to the end will make this an action-packed episode. And also, one of the mysteries you guys have been wondering about for a long time will be answered. But it will make development time longer. So it's either a shorter episode or a longer episode. I'm personally learning towards the longer episode myself. Either way, we'll have some hot scenes in the update, and you might finally get that long-awaited date with Skylar.

That's all I got for now. Now it's time to start working on the renders and get some scenes done finally. I'm sick of writing dialogue.

Have a good one!
Nice tag-team ^_^

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
As someone who has loved Hawaiian pizza since the 70s, I have no doubt there have been other people like you who don't like pineapple on pizza forever, but to say there was a large group that think pineapple on pizza, or Hawaiian pizza in particular, should be band has been on the same level as the arguments between New Yorkers and people who grew up in Chicago about what qualifies as pizza all this time is a bit disingenuous.
Maybe it depended upon where you were. My experience has been different than yours. Perhaps you extrapolated a little too small from your immediate area of knowledge, and perhaps I extrapolate a little too large from my own. It's been there, maybe just not your "there". Social media amplifies everything.

Last edited:

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
I suspected that the "No Pineapple on Pizza," originated on one of the Chans, but apparently it was a Facebook page.
As a member of the older generations, I can assure you that the debate has been raging since at least the 1970s. Like anything, the onset of the internet and the occasional popular website will catapult something into the limelight and more people will latch onto it. Just like they did with shaved beaver (the better choice, IMO. You floss after you're done eating, not during the meal!)

Reactions: sf_dom

Overlord070

Jan 21, 2021
As a member of the older generations, I can assure you that the debate has been raging since at least the 1970s. Like anything, the onset of the internet and the occasional popular website will catapult something into the limelight and more people will latch onto it. Just like they did with shaved beaver (the better choice, IMO. You floss after you're done eating, not during the meal!)
U wot?

Everyone knows you eat and floss at the same time, flossing after is the NTR of the flossing world :KEK:

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Maybe it depended upon where you were. My experience has been different than yours. Perhaps you extrapolated a little too small from your immediate area of knowledge, and perhaps I extrapolate a little too large from my own. It's been there, maybe just not your "there". Social media amplifies everything.
Fair enough.

Also, I wrote a really bad sentence. Not even worth fixing. My apologies for that.

Reactions: Son of Durin
4.80 star(s) 296 Votes