YedaGames

Dec 27, 2019
Hmm... randomly feeling hungry all of a sudden :p
Maybe a little thirsty, too?

By the way, I missed your previous message about the gallery. Here's the thing: the way RenPy works (and the way I structure the script) is that it's full of «if… else» operators, which is how my bimbo route is implemented for now. It's just a bunch of [if Blake is a bimbo, then load these lines]. However, if you just access the part of the script from a point where the game doesn't have recollection of you passing this marker, it will crash the game at worst or just lock you out specific parts at best. And there are no easy ways to deal with that unless I wanna litter the script with duplicates of the exact same scenes, but with all the possible variables applied. So… yeah. That's a problem.

Reactions: RabidSloth

RabidSloth

Dec 4, 2018
Maybe a little thirsty, too?

By the way, I missed your previous message about the gallery. Here's the thing: the way RenPy works (and the way I structure the script) is that it's full of «if… else» operators, which is how my bimbo route is implemented for now. It's just a bunch of [if Blake is a bimbo, then load these lines]. However, if you just access the part of the script from a point where the game doesn't have recollection of you passing this marker, it will crash the game at worst or just lock you out specific parts at best. And there are no easy ways to deal with that unless I wanna litter the script with duplicates of the exact same scenes, but with all the possible variables applied. So… yeah. That's a problem.
Hmm... I know very little, if anything, about game development, but are you familiar with John Dupont and the JDMODs that he makes for various games? One such game, called Good Girl Gone Bad (by Eva Kiss), is structured similarly to Shattered in that it is also made in RenPy and has a very wide, branching narrative. A lot of variables going on for most scenes. The way that it works in the scene gallery aspect of his mods in those cases is that after selecting the scene you want to view, it will first ask you various questions. Your answers will adjust things like what kind of dialogue plays out, what characters are participating in the scenes, the physical appearances of said characters (depending on if they've become more slutty or bimbo based on player choice,) etc.

I'll include links to the game and the mod for it. If may be worth it to do just a quick install, then go directly to the scene gallery (just choose to unlock all of the scenes), and see if it might give you any ideas or thoughts as far as layout and structure etc.

Side-note: Before I knew that you were planning on adding a scene gallery yourself, I actually DMed John here on F95zone, to see if he'd be interested in making one, since I'm a big fan of Shattered, as well as his work. He seemed to share my like of your game, and I think he expressed interest in possibly making one of his mods for it at some point. So it may even be worth contacting him yourself to see if you might get some useful insight from someone who's already made several great scene galleries for games that are structurally similar to your own. Anyway here are the links:

Good Girl Gone Bad by Eva Kiss

JDMOD for GGGB (even just glancing at the features and how it's set up on its page might be useful)

Patreon Link for (who's also here on F95)

Last edited:

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
You're right that you should never have multiple copies of a scene, but actually Renpy's replay functionality does have a pretty easy way of handling this kind of thing, when you start a replay you can pass a dictionary of variables that the replay will use. For example:
Python:
textbutton "Scene 11" action Replay("scene11", scope={bimbo=False})
textbutton "Scene 11 (Bimbo)" action Replay("scene11", scope={bimbo=True})
The first one will play scene11 with the bimbo variable set to False, the second will play it with it set to True.

Jash83

Jun 8, 2019
Love the game and the inner thoughts of blake are just amazing, but the monologuing can sometimes be a bit too much in my opinion.
Agreed. The game is really good and unique. But even though Blake's situation really is terrible, he does tend to wangst on and on and on and lays on the purple prose a bit thick sometimes. Yes, we get it already, Melinda is a bitch. Stop composing emo teen poetry about it in your head and reading it to us.

Reactions: Cupcakedestroyboy

Sasarko99

Jun 13, 2018
Pretty sure it was mentioned before that Blake is a very observant person and he can't shut down his brain processes. :unsure:
I totally Relate to her, it's not the presence of the monologues that is bothering me personally, it's the amount of it, if the amount were to decrease just by 30% I'll be happier. It's driving me nuts you know, I'm right now skipping parts of it but I'm always worried that I missed something important being mentioned. I strongly believe her thoughts can be fully transmitted to the reader/player with fewer words.

Staimh

Dec 12, 2020
Blake's thought process and method of expression:
I think this lends to the immersion and consistency of the game.
It definitely forces me to play the game a bit slower than I might play other games but it also helps me to comprehend Blake's actions and decisions better.
I think I would only find it irritating if Blake's thoughts were desperately incosistent or used as an poor excuse for dramatic plot twists.
Keep up the compelling work Yeda

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Hey so never touched this game, but what I'm getting from a skim of the thread is the MC is a fully femme femboy, and does not actually identify as female at any point even if you opt to have them fully transition? Or can you play a route where the MC actually does identify as female?

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
Blake starts as a crossdressing (forced by Melinda, Rebecca and Samuel) and later "evolve" to a femboy/trap status. Over the course of the game Blake can go to the bimbo route (basically a slut addicted to sex) or stay more or less the same. While Blake doesn't identify himself as transwoman quite a few people treat her using female pronouns.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Blake starts as a crossdressing (forced by Melinda, Rebecca and Samuel) and later "evolve" to a femboy/trap status. Over the course of the game Blake can go to the bimbo route (basically a slut addicted to sex) or stay more or less the same. While Blake doesn't identify himself as transwoman quite a few people treat her using female pronouns.
I'm pretty sure Blake thinks of herself as a girl in all her inner monologues by this point, does it really matter if she doesn't explicitly say that she's trans?

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
I'm pretty sure Blake thinks of herself as a girl in all her inner monologues by this point, does it really matter if she doesn't explicitly say that she's trans?
It does, I'm not into forced sissification but I like games with trans characters. So just wanting to verify whether the MC does indeed self-identify as female is important for me personally. It's a really particular distinction because I like bimbofication, but I do have that distinction between willing transition/forced sissification. It's an interesting topic to address in fiction for sure (Invisible Monsters, by Chuck Palahniuk, who also wrote Fight Club, interestingly explores the topics of both forced and willing sissification with a compelling level of literary nuance) but not one I'm looking to get off to lol.

YedaGames

Dec 27, 2019
It does, I'm not into forced sissification but I like games with trans characters. So just wanting to verify whether the MC does indeed self-identify as female is important for me personally. It's a really particular distinction because I like bimbofication, but I do have that distinction between willing transition/forced sissification. It's an interesting topic to address in fiction for sure (Invisible Monsters, by Chuck Palahniuk, who also wrote Fight Club, interestingly explores the topics of both forced and willing sissification with a compelling level of literary nuance) but not one I'm looking to get off to lol.
Blake does self-identify as a girl on certain routes, but doesn’t on the others. Bimbo Blake specifically refers to herself as a woman, but when Blake is not a bimbo, and it comes to love interests, there’s always a different degree of his progress. For example, with Samuel or Vanessa Blake is ready to embrace her femininity as a whole, but not with Liam or Iris. And if you’re interested, there’s a lot of trans women in my audience, and all of them so far have found Blake’s depiction, and inner monologues very realistic, and relatable.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Blake does self-identify as a girl on certain routes, but doesn’t on the others. Bimbo Blake specifically refers to herself as a woman, but when Blake is not a bimbo, and it comes to love interests, there’s always a different degree of his progress. For example, with Samuel or Vanessa Blake is ready to embrace her femininity as a whole, but not with Liam or Iris. And if you’re interested, there’s a lot of trans women in my audience, and all of them so far have found Blake’s depiction, and inner monologues very realistic, and relatable.
Thanks. This isn't some PC thing for me, I'm just asking based on what I find fappable lol. It's just fiction, and while some fiction is just bad stereotypical portrayals, I'm not insinuating that's my assumption about your work. I generally am not on a fictional character SJW crusade (the exception being gross racial stereotypes that aren't based in half-decent comedy). I just want to know if the MC internally identifies as female with a full transition route, and that's an affirmative from you, so this is on the list for some time in the future =P. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to clarify.

When I get around to your game if I do criticize on anything it'll probably be on the rambling inner monologue people were complaining about. One thing that bugs me is overwriting--which I can't say you've done as I haven't checked out your work yet--but a lot of erotic writers could use a crash course in Hemingway; not to emulate his style, but just to see how to extract the most possible from a word.

beccara

Mar 20, 2019
It'll probably be tomorrow or at like 3 AM, got some things to do today lol. Thanks for the endorsement though, I'll take your word on its quality.
Just a short comment on just how great it is. Just playing through about half of the routes and you know not skipping all the glorious dialogue took about two weeks whenever I wasn't busy with work.
It really is marvelous.

zetsupetsu

Dec 22, 2019
Holy moly the amount of variance in this game is something I haven't seen before. It's like every choice leads you to a different path. As s someone who has played a lot of VNs in here, I'm honestly impressed how convuluted this one is compared to the usual ones we see here.

Are there any other games with this much divergence?

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
Holy moly the amount of variance in this game is something I haven't seen before. It's like every choice leads you to a different path. As s someone who has played a lot of VNs in here, I'm honestly impressed how convuluted this one is compared to the usual ones we see here.

Are there any other games with this much divergence?
Yeah games with so many branching paths and choices and consequences are quite rare.
The only ones i can think of right now are Eva Kiss games (Good Girl Gone Bad and Our Red String) and Nostravis' Heavy Five.

Reactions: Lillen B.
4.30 star(s) 64 Votes