Unity Some Heroines Climb Up a Tower to Ask God Why the Game Has a Name That's So Long [v2.42] [Sinful Salad Games]

4.40 star(s) 44 Votes

Glorp

Jul 22, 2017
Not defending this person you're replying to, but just calling people "noobs" as a deflection to criticism is kind of worrying. Whether people like or love a game isn't a reason to say "I don't need to change anything", and I only say this because I would hate to see a project with so much potential go the way of Yanderedev whose head got so far up their own ass they went from celebrated to universally mocked. I say this just as a friendly reminder to stay humble: you have a great start to a game here, but there are legitimate concerns about the difficulty insofar as actually getting lewd content: I shouldn't have to spend minutes resetting to get a good lineup of areas/nodes, then spend 15-20 minutes going through waves, then figure out a sequence of exact moves to, for example, get the ninja chick captured, have enough coinage to rebuy her, AND survive the miniboss with 2 characters. I get that you want it to be difficult, but difficulty shouldn't mean setting up the equivalent of a perfect StS run just to get a single girl in an alternate outfit; if outfits are selectable after being obtained, I retract this statement, but as it stands a dearth of the lewd elements are effectively locked behind a 20-30 minute play session just for a chance at the still images you want. That's not difficult or engaging, it's just a slog and a boner-killer.

Tl;dr don't get a fat head just because this is a great start to a game. People praising you (myself included) shouldn't be an excuse to hunker down and start telling people "ur just bad" as a response to criticism (a word that people too often argue over the definition of here).
Okay that's a fair idea/mindset to watch out for but like, that person is definitely pretty much just salty that they're not an instant god at the game. Even going as far as just being blatantly wrong about some of the criticisms they have for it.

Trongle

Artist, writer, game designer.
Game Developer
Jun 16, 2018
Not defending this person you're replying to, but just calling people "noobs" as a deflection to criticism is kind of worrying. Whether people like or love a game isn't a reason to say "I don't need to change anything", and I only say this because I would hate to see a project with so much potential go the way of Yanderedev whose head got so far up their own ass they went from celebrated to universally mocked. I say this just as a friendly reminder to stay humble: you have a great start to a game here, but there are legitimate concerns about the difficulty insofar as actually getting lewd content: I shouldn't have to spend minutes resetting to get a good lineup of areas/nodes, then spend 15-20 minutes going through waves, then figure out a sequence of exact moves to, for example, get the ninja chick captured, have enough coinage to rebuy her, AND survive the miniboss with 2 characters. I get that you want it to be difficult, but difficulty shouldn't mean setting up the equivalent of a perfect StS run just to get a single girl in an alternate outfit; if outfits are selectable after being obtained, I retract this statement, but as it stands a dearth of the lewd elements are effectively locked behind a 20-30 minute play session just for a chance at the still images you want. That's not difficult or engaging, it's just a slog and a boner-killer.

Tl;dr don't get a fat head just because this is a great start to a game. People praising you (myself included) shouldn't be an excuse to hunker down and start telling people "ur just bad" as a response to criticism (a word that people too often argue over the definition of here).
I'll do my best. Thanks for the reality check.

All of Voryen's criticisms were already addressed in the tutorial, maybe not efficiently, but they definitely did not pay attention to any of the dialogue to be as confused as they are. We gave an overview of how the map works and explain that the game is just one long battle multiple times.

Reactions: Dinglederper

Dinglederper

Dec 19, 2020
Okay that's a fair idea/mindset to watch out for but like, that person is definitely pretty much just salty that they're not an instant god at the game. Even going as far as just being blatantly wrong about some of the criticisms they have for it.
Admittedly, this is a nuanced issue that I'm addressing and I probably chose a poor example as a baseline; to be clear, I'm not backing up Voryen, I just think that there are some legitimate concerns over how difficult it is (and not in a "skill-check" kind of way, but a "there are multiple rng checks over which I have no control" way) to access some of the lewd content. I apologize for what likely seemed like me backing up empty complaints; what I should have said is more along the lines of "don't stoop to their level". I used Yanderedev as an example not just because they made a lot of poor choices, but because they also had the same issue of hecklers coming along to complain just for the sake of complaining, and the takeaway to me is that as playerbases grow, it becomes more difficult to identify who's making a good effort to give real criticism and who is coming in just to say "game suck, me no like". It probably sounds preachy, but it's always good to keep in mind since video games tend to have incredibly vitriolic communities.

Voryen

Aug 2, 2017
Hey, I think the mechanics can be a bit confusing at first and this is what made the game seem so frustrating for you. Maybe this will help.

>From the very start, it's all RNG based if you get good abilities to not get swarmed.
Yea, picking good abilities is important. This is why you have a choice of 2 at the start for each heroine and there are quite a few good combos you can get from the very beginning. And some abilities are much more interesting than they seem. Tripwire for example can be used to make enemies smash into eachother for big damage. It takes a few runs, but finding out how the abilities interact on the battlefield is part of the fun.

>Why am I hitting new areas in the middle of battle?
I agree, this isnt communicated very well atm. How it works is that you battle continuously. As every round passes, you move 1 distance on the map for every heroine still active, so 3 at the start. The distance until you reach the next location is indicated on the left upper corner of the screen. You pick the location you want to go to on the map. Your heroines then automatically walk there during battle.

>Why is it automatically selecting options?
Like I said, you pic the direction you go in by clicking on the symbol slay the spire style and then the heroines go there with the movement happening during battle

Hope this helps!
I commented already knowing this and beating the lizard. I'm not commenting without having successfully progressed in the game. My opinions come from my progression and still feeling it's such an unrewarding experience.

The automatic selection of options is clunky. While I am choosing the route I'm going through, the flow of it is off-putting. This goes with the second point.

And the first is a matter of opinion but it's still RNG based on whether you can get AOE abilities to ward off the swarms. The biggest issue is mainly balance.

I think I'm part of unintended audience for this game though since you stated Slay the Spire.
I still stand by my initial opinion/review believe this is a very poor H-Game and a decent game in itself ignoring H-content.

Voryen

Aug 2, 2017
I'll do my best. Thanks for the reality check.

All of Voryen's criticisms were already addressed in the tutorial, maybe not efficiently, but they definitely did not pay attention to any of the dialogue to be as confused as they are. We gave an overview of how the map works and explain that the game is just one long battle multiple times.
Similarly, as you've assumed I simply didn't progress through the game, parts of my review are also being assumed but that's fair.

TLDR: I think the game is unrewarding. As a H-Game, I think it's dull but as a normal game it's fine. Issue is imbalance makes the gameplay loop boring. I don't derive joy even if I progress. I go into details below.

First, as a H-Game, I think this is pretty bland. That's my opinion. I'm not the biggest CG fan. When I see the animated tag, I expect the primary H-content to be animated or the largest rewards to consistently be. In terms of difficulty to reward ratio, I do think it's bland. However, I'll clarify again, as a general game - I think it's decent/fine.

You stated my criticisms are addressed in the tutorial but they're not? Balance, gameplay loops, and the rewards are not a tutorial item. And my regards to balance isn't skill, Fuu/Gloop/Lizard boss are what I did prior to commenting. It just feels to combination of three great ideas are poorly done due to the wish of an arbitrary difficulty and loop that feels unrewarding.

With my review, I give it a 1/5 in regards to it as a H-Game and I think this game is a 3.5-3.8/5 for me in a game sense. I also disagree with the ratings of other reviews. I do believe that your game has a lot of potential but as a demo, I feel people reviewing it for "potential to be great" whilst ignoring the glaring flaws it has is problematic.

I already knew about the miniboss and boss rewards prior to posting.
What I meant on the coins comment is that rather than keep the difficulty, for those who just want to progress through the story, have them hold onto the coins and gradually grow stronger for that level until that pass it. You can reward players who are playing well by gating rewards with a limited amount of tries/attempts. This opinion of mine is only applicable if you want to keep the game's rewards as is because the biggest gripe for me is that the game is unrewarding.

Regarding the gameplay loop and battle, I still stick with it feeling clunky.
I'd recommend having a bar on top of the battle phase that shows the heroines progressing through the map.

The ideas are fine, they just feel horrible to me to repeatedly play through when combined. Let me clarify:

- The battle ideas are fine and I get past most once I get the right abilities. It's the RNG and slight imbalance that's annoying.

- I expected animations after every boss. It has the animated tag

- The heroines going to new sections of the map are fine, it just feels very impromptu during the midst of the fight and unexpected. It breaks my immersion. I would even add a parallax background here but that might be too much.

- The gameplay loop is still terrible to me due to the RNG regarding ability starts. I think it feels boring to be progressing well and you have to quit because Chest 1 or 2 didn't give you an AOE ability or Tripwire or Bear Trap.

Those are my three main gripes. I don't see how any of that has to deal with progression or skill.
It's not about it being hard, it's about it being unrewarding.

There are plenty of difficult games I've played but the issue isn't difficulty. Look at Drain Mansion for example. To me, it's harder than this game. However, it rewards the players in a better fashion and its gameplay loop always offers something new/alternatives to tackle problems.

Last edited:

Trongle

Game Developer
Jun 16, 2018
Similarly, as you've assumed I simply didn't progress through the game, parts of my review are also being assumed but that's fair.

First, as a H-Game, I think this is pretty bland. That's my opinion. I'm not the biggest CG fan. When I see the animated tag, I expect the primary H-content to be animated or the largest rewards to consistently be. In terms of difficulty to reward ratio, I do think it's bland. However, I'll clarify again, as a general game - I think it's decent/fine.

With my review, I give it a 1/5 in regards to it as a H-Game and I think this game is a 3.5-3.8/5 for me in a game sense. I also disagree with the ratings of other reviews. I do believe that your game has a lot of potential but as a demo, I feel people reviewing it for "potential to be great" whilst ignoring the glaring flaws it has is problematic.

I already knew about the miniboss and boss rewards prior to posting.
What I meant on the coins comment is that rather than keep the difficulty, for those who just want to progress through the story, have them hold onto the coins and gradually grow stronger for that level until that pass it. You can reward players who are playing well by gating rewards with a limited amount of tries/attempts. This opinion of mine is only applicable if you want to keep the game's rewards as is because the biggest gripe for me is that the game is unrewarding.

Regarding the gameplay loop and battle, I still stick with it feeling clunky.
I'd recommend having a bar on top of the battle phase that shows the heroines progressing through the map.

The ideas are fine, they just feel horrible to me to repeatedly play through when combined. Let me clarify:

- The battle ideas are fine and I get past most once I get the right abilities. It's the RNG and slight imbalance that's annoying.

- The heroines going to new sections of the map are fine, it just feels very impromptu during the midst of the fight and unexpected. It breaks my immersion. I would even add a parallax background here but that might be too much.

- The gameplay loop is still terrible to me due to the RNG regarding ability starts. I think it feels boring to be progressing well and you have to quit because Chest 1 or 2 didn't give you an AOE ability or Tripwire or Bear Trap.

Those are my three main gripes. I don't see how any of that has to deal with progression or skill.
It's not about it being hard, it's about it being unrewarding.

There are plenty of difficult games I've played but the issue isn't difficulty. Look at Drain Mansion for example. To me, it's harder than this game. However, it rewards the players in a better fashion and its gameplay loop always offers something new/alternatives to tackle problems.
Look man, if you engage with my game in an unintended, boring not fun way, you are going to be bored and frustrated instead of having fun.
If I wanted you to reroll and only use AoE attacks I would have made that a feature, you having to rely on specific strategies makes it obvious to me that you aren't very good at the game. The RNG loop is a personal problem that doesn't really effect skilled players since they can get by with mostly just the Heroine's basic attacks. I can consistently make it to the boss no matter what skills i'm handed because i fully understand the mechanics, and so can many others, and they are having a lot of fun. It's that simple.

Anyways, let's stop wasting each other's time, I've got a game to make and you've got more games to play.

Voryen

Aug 2, 2017
Look man, if you engage with my game in an unintended, boring not fun way, you are going to be bored and frustrated instead of having fun.
If I wanted you to reroll and only use AoE attacks I would have made that a feature, you having to rely on specific strategies makes it obvious to me that you aren't very good at the game. The RNG loop is a personal problem that doesn't really effect skilled players since they can get by with mostly just the Heroine's basic attacks. I can consistently make it to the boss no matter what skills i'm handed because i fully understand the mechanics, and so can many others, and they are having a lot of fun. It's that simple.

Anyways, let's stop wasting each other's time, I've got a game to make and you've got more games to play.
The problem is you ignored my entire post.
Nobody said beating/reaching the boss is impossible. Nobody said I couldn't beat the boss.

But it's W/E. As you said, you keep developing and I'll find a better one.

Gwyn33

Oct 11, 2017

Hey I think this game is really good and look forward to updates :)

• Red Heart
Reactions: Trongle

Trongle

Game Developer
Jun 16, 2018
do we have any news on when a new update will come out at all?
No release date yet, the next update is going to be the android port of the demo with a bugfix, the coder told me that we are pretty close to finishing it. This is my first game project like this, so I don't feel comfortable putting release dates on things because i have no expectations on how long anything will take.
Level 2's art is coming along good though, so I'm sure it won't be too long, but each level will add a lot of new content so it will be worth the wait I hope.

Oppai_King

Jan 26, 2018
No release date yet, the next update is going to be the android port of the demo with a bugfix, the coder told me that we are pretty close to finishing it. This is my first game project like this, so I don't feel comfortable putting release dates on things because i have no expectations on how long anything will take.
Level 2's art is coming along good though, so I'm sure it won't be too long, but each level will add a lot of new content so it will be worth the wait I hope.
yay great to hear!

MilesKiyaAnny

Jan 18, 2019
Android port? Lookin forward to it. I wish I am more financial stable I could buy you some coffee by now Hehha

and defy YES like comment above that we could use gallery
also found glitch
Hex skill for ninja girl actually not working for me
Red sword skill that push enemy away in red zone also somehow end up damage only 1 enemy instead of 3
I also finally able to confirm this. I been using bear trap and skill and it only stun for 2 sec and stop but I manage to get it to fully working. It suppsoe to stun for 1 turn right? not 2 sec and wear off. I think there also other debuff skill or something out there are working like this. effect happen then stop. It might have to do with enemy entites ending turn too quick or something.
and that it for today

I have that sometime a horde of 2 mage appear and 2 more archers appear after. It get everyone soo much hand full but I manage to survived
BRAH.png

Last edited:

Dinglederper

Dec 19, 2020
Not sure if this has been brought up already, but the Whip-chain Combo (whatever Ninja ability that randomly hits 5 times within the middle area) pretty consistently softlocks the game. Two specific scenarios are when a scarecrow is in the middle with anything else (I assume it's a conflict with the hits being "random" and the Scarecrow forcibly blocking damage) or when it would split a slime enemy. The chameleon boss is also practically invincible under a lot of circumstances: if the Ninja can't spam Restrain on them, they'll eventually start spamming their "invisibility". The invis takes WAY too many hits to end (it should be 2, imo, given that's already asking you to spend stamina or waste 2 characters' turns just to negate an invuln), and they can freely move, attack, AND recast the invis all on the same turn.

Last point, and more of a gripe: it's a pain in the ass to set up getting a character captured to put them in the slave outfit, yet it actually counts as clothing and can be destroyed. This is especially annoying when the slave outfits have unique art associated with them, but you end up missing out because, for example, a slime decided to keep spamming its clothing damage attack instead of a sexual attack when a character is at 1 sexual resistance. Imo slave outfits shouldn't be subject to clothing destruction, and it would be a lot better if enemies prioritized sexual attacks on characters in those outfits: if I have to jump through hoops to get the outfit, it should at least be easier to get the unique animations associated with it and not have to juggle random enemy spawns with random enemy attacks that target randomly and do random damage. That's obsessive levels of shoehorning in RNG just for the sake of RNG.

Edit: figured I should add that the boss theme is an absolute banger and I almost didn't want the fights to end because of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cutting_dicks

CardinalRed

Amazing Dev
Game Developer
Sep 8, 2021
Not sure if this has been brought up already, but the Whip-chain Combo (whatever Ninja ability that randomly hits 5 times within the middle area) pretty consistently softlocks the game. Two specific scenarios are when a scarecrow is in the middle with anything else (I assume it's a conflict with the hits being "random" and the Scarecrow forcibly blocking damage) or when it would split a slime enemy. The chameleon boss is also practically invincible under a lot of circumstances: if the Ninja can't spam Restrain on them, they'll eventually start spamming their "invisibility". The invis takes WAY too many hits to end (it should be 2, imo, given that's already asking you to spend stamina or waste 2 characters' turns just to negate an invuln), and they can freely move, attack, AND recast the invis all on the same turn.

Last point, and more of a gripe: it's a pain in the ass to set up getting a character captured to put them in the slave outfit, yet it actually counts as clothing and can be destroyed. This is especially annoying when the slave outfits have unique art associated with them, but you end up missing out because, for example, a slime decided to keep spamming its clothing damage attack instead of a sexual attack when a character is at 1 sexual resistance. Imo slave outfits shouldn't be subject to clothing destruction, and it would be a lot better if enemies prioritized sexual attacks on characters in those outfits: if I have to jump through hoops to get the outfit, it should at least be easier to get the unique animations associated with it and not have to juggle random enemy spawns with random enemy attacks that target randomly and do random damage. That's obsessive levels of shoehorning in RNG just for the sake of RNG.

Edit: figured I should add that the boss theme is an absolute banger and I almost didn't want the fights to end because of it.
The next bugfix should get rid of this bug, also we have plans for some changes for the bondage system, not sure if they will be done at the next bugfix or later, but it will be addressed.

4.40 star(s) 44 Votes