• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

VN Ren'Py Completed Something to Write About: The Author [Ch. 7.1] [STWAdev]

4.50 star(s) 123 Votes

ShiftingMTGO

Jun 27, 2017
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While loading <'Image' u'images/apartmentinterruption20.png'>:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 5791, in script
    pause
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 416, in execute_pause
    renpy.pause()
Exception: Could not load image u'images/apartmentinterruption20.png': error('Error reading the PNG file.',)

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 5791, in script
    pause
  File "E:\MEGAsync\TheAuthor-Ch.2-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1949, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "E:\MEGAsync\TheAuthor-Ch.2-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1937, in call
    return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "E:\MEGAsync\TheAuthor-Ch.2-pc\renpy\statements.py", line 277, in call
    return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 416, in execute_pause
    renpy.pause()
  File "E:\MEGAsync\TheAuthor-Ch.2-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1480, in pause
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='pause', type='pause', roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "E:\MEGAsync\TheAuthor-Ch.2-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 297, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "E:\MEGAsync\TheAuthor-Ch.2-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2702, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "E:\MEGAsync\TheAuthor-Ch.2-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3194, in interact_core
    self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
  File "E:\MEGAsync\TheAuthor-Ch.2-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2094, in draw_screen
    renpy.config.screen_height,
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 490, in renpy.display.render.render_screen (gen\renpy.display.render.c:6805)
    rv = render(root, width, height, st, st)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 259, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:3520)
    rv = d.render(widtho, heighto, st, at)
  File "E:\MEGAsync\TheAuthor-Ch.2-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 722, in render
    surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 166, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:4075)
    cpdef render(d, object widtho, object heighto, double st, double at):
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 259, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:3520)
  File "E:\MEGAsync\TheAuthor-Ch.2-pc\renpy\display\layout.py", line 722, in render
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 166, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:4075)
  File "accelerator.pyx", line 110, in renpy.display.accelerator.transform_render
  File "E:\MEGAsync\TheAuthor-Ch.2-pc\renpy\display\image.py", line 500, in render
    return wrap_render(self.target, width, height, st, at)
  File "E:\MEGAsync\TheAuthor-Ch.2-pc\renpy\display\image.py", line 306, in wrap_render
    rend = render(child, w, h, st, at)
  File "E:\MEGAsync\TheAuthor-Ch.2-pc\renpy\display\im.py", line 583, in render
    return cache.get(self, render=True)
  File "E:\MEGAsync\TheAuthor-Ch.2-pc\renpy\display\im.py", line 266, in get
    surf = image.load()
  File "E:\MEGAsync\TheAuthor-Ch.2-pc\renpy\display\im.py", line 628, in load
    surf = renpy.display.pgrender.load_image(renpy.loader.load(self.filename), self.filename)
  File "E:\MEGAsync\TheAuthor-Ch.2-pc\renpy\display\pgrender.py", line 162, in load_image
    raise Exception("Could not load image {!r}: {!r}".format(filename, e))
Exception: Could not load image u'images/apartmentinterruption20.png': error('Error reading the PNG file.',)

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
TheAuthor Ch.2
Mon Jun 22 22:46:45 2020

Vasy

Mar 21, 2017
The MC's name not appearing over his dialogue in the second chapter makes things a little confusing.

edit: Also, during the conversation with Aoife after the meeting with the dean, she references a scene that only occurs if you went into her dorm room after the nightclub, whether or not you actually did go with her into her dorm.

Last edited:

Crazygamer43

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Game Compressor
Donor
Feb 25, 2018
Something To Write About: The Author [Ch. 2] [STWAdev]

Original Size: 2.15 GB
Compressed Size: 106 MB

Win/Linux: - - - :)

Glooskabe

Jan 4, 2020
In the midst of playing the update now, but I wanted to let the Dev know that he needs to fix something pretty important in his code.

Every time you want to increment or decrement a counter, you are using the wrong symbol. If you want to increment variable a you should type: a += 1, and if you want to decrement variable a, you should type: a -= 1.

The way you have typed it (a =+ 1 & a =- 1), instead of incrementing and decrementing, you are constantly reassigning the value +1 or -1 to the variable in question. I haven't noticed if you have made any gatekeeper variable tests yet, but when that starts happening, we won't be getting any scenes because everybody's points will be set to whatever the last increment/decrement value was instead of reflecting the tally of points over the game.

Glooskabe

Jan 4, 2020
Okay, finished playing. Storywise, I'm liking how things are going. Still trying to solve the riddle of Kim. Didn't really want to engage with Bea, but turns out doing so works for my preferred scenario. At least she's hot! ;) Definitely curious who the fuck Chris is and what is her problem? Hope it's not 3 more months to find out!

LGM

Nov 22, 2018
I really like this game. It's right up my alley. A few issues though:

Starting with Chapter 2, MC's name no longer shows when he's talking. Don't know if that's intentional, but it sure is irritating.

Also, Aoife claims she took her top off in front of MC, even if that didn't happen. And there was a line about lipstick on his cheek after spending the night at Kimberley's; maybe I missed something there, but I don't think that should have been there if you slept on the couch.

Finally, I found no big problems with the English, but... I think I saw 'receive' and 'conceive' misspelled somewhere.

Last edited:

LordSinner

Feb 11, 2018
So we are supposed to believe that the MC can handle being in a relationship with any of these girls? I mean he can't even handle one girl let alone all what four or five of them. I'm guessing Chris is another LI and one that only serves to show just how much of a spineless beta the MC is(not to mention stupid for not changing the locks). The DEV said that for those of us that thought the MC was a beta to come back and check around the 3rd update and see if we still feel the same way, this is all I have to say, unless the MC dies and we get another MC in the 3rd patch this guy is a loser. There is no way in hell he is anything but a loser and that is not going to change without a complete rewrite of the story.

HorizonD

Apr 25, 2018
In the midst of playing the update now, but I wanted to let the Dev know that he needs to fix something pretty important in his code.

Every time you want to increment or decrement a counter, you are using the wrong symbol. If you want to increment variable a you should type: a += 1, and if you want to decrement variable a, you should type: a -= 1.

The way you have typed it (a =+ 1 & a =- 1), instead of incrementing and decrementing, you are constantly reassigning the value +1 or -1 to the variable in question. I haven't noticed if you have made any gatekeeper variable tests yet, but when that starts happening, we won't be getting any scenes because everybody's points will be set to whatever the last increment/decrement value was instead of reflecting the tally of points over the game.
And I wondered why some points went from 3/4/6 to -1 or something along that line. Nice catch. (y)

Vrijgeest

Engaged Member
Jun 16, 2019
A really great intelligent work of fiction. It is nice to read proper English (even though it is American English). Models are great and the atmosphere is well created and is of this time of fluid relationships. I even felt the opportunity to have sex with Kimmy was out of place and just went for the cuddles but in the morning while having slept in bed with Kim the MC complains about the couch?
I am really looking forward to ch3.(y)

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
And there was a line about lipstick on his cheek after spending the night at Kimberley's; maybe I missed something there, but I don't think that should have been there if you slept on the couch.
There was no lipstick, she said that to catch the MC out about where he'd been, she was joking around.

Reactions: Glooskabe

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
The MC being black makes this entire game feel like NTR for me. Odd choice if you're going for maximum audience appeal
Assuming everyone on this site is a white male and only wants to see a white male protagonist? Personally I am tired of seeing the same pasty white dorks with mammoth dicks in every game. Diversity in MC and LI in more games would be a welcome change.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
Assuming everyone on this site is a white male and only wants to see a white male protagonist? Personally I am tired of seeing the same pasty white dorks with mammoth dicks in every game. Diversity in MC and LI in more games would be a welcome change.
This. And some black or mulato beauties in every game would be much appreciated as well. It's a little bit tiresome to always see the same body types and hair colours in 90% of the games.
Don't touch the redheads though. Every good game needs a racy redhead, that's common knowledge.

SHER!FF

Aug 15, 2019
I've not felt compelled to reply to a thread here yet, but this is very promising. I like that the story is relatable in that the NPCs have realistic issues. I have no problem inserting myself into the MCs situation. The models are great and the characters all came from different wombs (prerequisite of mine). The writing is smart and engaging and the story is unique. Keep it up, Dev! (Just maybe shorten/fatten up that needledick frankenschlong. I'm afraid someone's gonna poke an eye out) Cheers!

Reactions: VOYEUR

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
Hey y'all had to emerge from my post release coma to come be an active member of the community, my introversion is rolling around in terror.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Thank you much for letting me know about this, still learning all my ropes so I vastly appreciate you saving me what I'm sure would have been a lot of frustration in this next segment.

My second reader and I both missed that, I appreciate you pointing it out, I'll have to modify the text slightly to fix that!

I'm aiming for the next release to be early to mid August. I'll always hope to work on a 6-8 week release schedule of course as a solo dev doing this on the side that may not always be feasible, but I'll always attempt to keep people updated when I can.
Luckily the whole story is already written, though it is semi fluid as most works in progress are, so most of my work comes from the actual coding and renders.

As I move into Ch.3 I'm looking to change the UI from that default Renpy interface and clean things up a bit, each chapter I hope to add a little QOL to streamline things so eventually I'll have a new UI and a hopefully functioning gallery and once I've gotten more confident with them I'll definitely be adding animations."

A final bit of general nonsense before I stop yapping like a senator blocking a bill is a few minor things I want to make public knowledge so nobody has to ask.

Thank you so much to everybody else who's also taken the time to play and give feedback, every bit really helps me improve as a creator which is really all one can hope for. I'm still trying to find the balance between obsessively stalking my thread and being a normal active member of the community, but I'll definitely try to pop in more around here when possible to shoot the breeze with folks. Thank you all so much again for taking your valuable time to assist me in this project!

4.50 star(s) 123 Votes